The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available
Old 19th August 2019
0N3
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys.

Much of the development of the VRS8 was revolved around the question “ how old the hell are we going to make this thing $2000 with all of this expensive crap in it?”.

And to be honest, we didn’t do all that well, since it’s a pretty low margin product because it is so expensive to produce.

However, if we designed it to do 192khz, it would not have made any difference for sample rates below that, it would’ve increased the cost, and I believe less than 5% of users would actually utilize that super high sample rate. Therefore the decision was made to at 96kHz, and I think it was a great decision.

Windows users, we do have one remaining bug that our team is tackling. It’s quite a rare bug, but as many know about me… I like things perfect. More news soon.

Steven
This is why I am getting the VRS8, this customer service is unparalleled! Every single time I see an issue raised about an SD product, Steve himself almost immediately gets on it. Excited to use your VRS8 and Mics and not have to basically ever worry about it not working.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Nut

@ Steven Slate , Does analog gear really sound "better", or is it just a learned response?

Please give them a befitting and ear-opening reply.

Made fun of FG-116.
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear

VRS8 driver issue??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyZ View Post
VRS only supports up to 96k.

RTL is 2.1ms at 96/64 and 5ms at 44/64

You can switch from DAW to system audio without issue. However, since VRS uses ASIO driver on Windows you will not be able to change buffers in the DAW while audio is running on the web browser. But simply close the web browser and change the buffer in the DAW, then reopen the web browser.

CPU load will be the same, just depends on what buffers you are running at.
Just picked up VRS8 about a month ago, been having exact issues as above quote. Only difference is Im running new Mac mini with i7 six core 3.2ghz Mojave 10.14.6

Changed out thunderbolt cables and didn't resolve issue. Mac recognizes VRS8 driver in system preferences and audio/midi setup. Issue is VRS8 and VRS8 Panel dropping audio/signal when I try to use the VRS8 with Safari, Youtube iTunes and all my standalone music apps. I then have to restart the VRS8 and reopen VRS8 Panel and everything will work until I began to switch between above apps.

My DAW is Pro Tools 2019.6 recording at 96k and VRS8 is 50/50 at best with stability in that app also.

Driver issue??

Im stumped on this one....help!!!
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky eye scream View Post

Changed out thunderbolt cables and didn't resolve issue. Mac recognizes VRS8 driver in system preferences and audio/midi setup. Issue is VRS8 and VRS8 Panel dropping audio/signal when I try to use the VRS8 with Safari, Youtube iTunes and all my standalone music apps. I then have to restart the VRS8 and reopen VRS8 Panel and everything will work until I began to switch between above apps.

My DAW is Pro Tools 2019.6 recording at 96k and VRS8 is 50/50 at best with stability in that app also.

Driver issue??

Doesn't sound like a driver issue, perhaps a Thunderbolt card problem on the VRS.

Please file a support ticket: https://slatedigital.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear

I contacted Slate support and they jumped right on the issue. Sounds like it's a hardware issue with the VRS8, support had me fill out a RMA request form.

Looks like I'll be getting a new VRS8 in the mail next week! Fingers crossed the new unit is good to go with NO issues...pretty please!!
Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, I literally can't wait for the full support on Older Macs, I have a 5,1 and i can't connect to my VRS8 thru thunderbolt due to lack of support from Apple on this computers, and not being able to hookup a Thunderbolt card via PCIE. Yes I know some people are being able to hack the Motherboard and get it working but I'm not that much of a computer geek, Please @ Steven Slate , I know you're guys working really hard!!!!, just let us know!!! So far Have done some test on my Macbook Pro with thunderbolt and it sound Terrific!!!!
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Nut

minimum requirements for rec pro vocals? +upgrade question
@ Steven Slate ,Give a befitting reply there. They are making fun of VMS ML-1's accuracy, VRS8, naming it as a ponzy scheme.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post

I know there is a huge demand for the two channel version so I promise you guys that as soon as we roll out the 8 Channel, we will work really hard to follow it up as soon as possible!

Steven

@ Steven Slate , That was your statement in 2017. 2 years later,
For VRS 2/4 please and please add an option of 192 Khz sample rate.

Any words if VRS 2/4 are going to be available soon ?

Also any official celebration/new releases planned on midnight of 4th September, when clock will strike 12'o clock ?
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky eye scream View Post
Just picked up VRS8 about a month ago, been having exact issues as above quote. Only difference is Im running new Mac mini with i7 six core 3.2ghz Mojave 10.14.6

Driver issue??

Yo! I have all the exact same issues. I've been saying it's a driver issue too. But Steven Slate has assured me that 99.9% of other users have no problems and that I'm the only person that has ever had that issue. But apparently we are the same person? I'm confused because I thought we are different people? Or is he lying? I'm so confused!

I thought everything was my fault!!!! Does that mean Steven was in the wrong by blaming me for something that isn't my fault?!?

The only thing that makes me think that Slate is lying is all the lies. If there wasn't a list of lies/questionable decisions I would be inclined to believe him still! But you can't say that something has never had a problem, like how no box makes a ringing sound or has faulty headphones, but then I get 3 back to back to back with those issues. How would I be at fault for not believing such nonsense? Of course I am going to see them as liars until they tell the truth, that's how we're supposed to live our lives! Yes I understand it probably hurts Steven Slate's feelings to be called a liar, but he's a millionaire picking on poor people. It definitely hurts my feelings more having my time being taken advantage of gathering all this info for them to do nothing with the info I gathered for them and make no attempts to fixing the bugs, because they aren't actual bugs, they're just one off things that only I am experiencing....until I see other people with the same issues. It's the definition of lying.
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Nut

@ Steven Slate , when will windows driver launch for VRS8 !? Its already 8th of october 2019.

Any words on VRS 2/4 ?
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear
Official Windows driver is now available for the VRS-8.

Check the Slate Digital website.

Anyone who purchases a VRS-8 also gets a ML-1 microphone free and free year’s subscription of the All Access Pass.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

@ Steven Slate What are RTL figures with the final windows driver release? You said a massive 2X improvement in latency and performance. I want to know more about this.
Old 4 weeks ago
_gl
Gear Maniac

sorry if I missed it - do you get a perpetual license for the currently included ML1's mic models, so you can continue using it if you chose not to subscribe to the bundle? If so, which mic model packs are included in this license?

And is Thunderbolt on Windows stable?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gl View Post
sorry if I missed it - do you get a perpetual license for the currently included ML1's mic models, so you can continue using it if you chose not to subscribe to the bundle? If so, which mic model packs are included in this license?

And is Thunderbolt on Windows stable?
You get a permanent license of VMC Classic Tubes (8 microphone models) with ML1's. In fact, that is true for ALL of the microphone models. If you wanted to expand your microphone collection, you can buy the ML2 small condenser mic and you get Classic Instruments VMR. The same is true if you buy a license to Blackbird collection or Classic Tubes 3 - those are yours to keep regardless of whether you'd subscribe to the bundle or not.

Now, you could run your signal through the Mic emulation within the Virtual Mix Rack, and the rest of the signal chain can run through your regular plugins, however, I noticed a slight phasing issue when you try to monitor with a bunch of non-slate plug-ins. Also from a workflow perspective, it's so much easier to throw up a mic right inside the VMR and follow it up with a Pre+EQ+Comp. That said, from my perspective the All-Access pass is worth it, but I digress.

As for running VRS8 on Windows, you would use the included PCIe card that came with your VRS8.

Thunderbolt devices are just PCI devices and they are basically a way for external PCIe expansion. Think M-Audio Delta 1010, a card ahead of its time and worthy of a Black Lion Audio mod, brought up to today's standard with latest pres and converters. The same driver used for Thunderbolt can be used to run the unit off of the PCIe slot on a Hackintosh. I currently use it as such.
Old 4 weeks ago
_gl
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
You get a permanent license of VMC Classic Tubes (8 microphone models) with ML1's.
Ah, a lot of shops selling the ML1 standalone are bundling the 1 and 2 Tube collections. So with the VRS8 freebie you only get #1 ?

Quote:
As for running VRS8 on Windows, you would use the included PCIe card that came with your VRS8.
That doesn't work for laptop use. I read somewhere that a Windows Thunderbolt driver was in the works - is that true, or is Windows still PCIe only?

Quote:
Thunderbolt devices are just PCI devices and they are basically a way for external PCIe expansion. The same driver used for Thunderbolt can be used to run the unit off of the PCIe slot on a Hackintosh.
Interesting. I doubt that works on Windows though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

On Bootcamp on my MBP, the VRS does work! That gives me hope they'll get it working for more all Thunderbolt devices.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ah, a lot of shops selling the ML1 standalone are bundling the 1 and 2 Tube collections. So with the VRS8 freebie you only get #1?
Scroll down to the bottom of this Slate FAQ page: https://slatedigital.zendesk.com/hc/...h-the-VMS-Kit-

Quote:
That doesn't work for laptop use. I read somewhere that a Windows Thunderbolt driver was in the works - is that true, or is Windows still PCIe only?
I have a dell XPS13 9360. It has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. I hooked my VRS8 up to it and it works. Just because you have a connector for USB-C doesn't mean that you can get Thunderbolt driver installed and working. You HAVE to have the actual Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge TH chipset on the motherboard itself. Take a look a this page to find your specific model: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/pr...ny_to_one=tbv3

Quote:
Interesting. I doubt that works on Windows though.
It works without a problem here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondesante View Post
Yo! I have all the exact same issues. I've been saying it's a driver issue too. But Steven Slate has assured me that 99.9% of other users have no problems and that I'm the only person that has ever had that issue. But apparently we are the same person? I'm confused because I thought we are different people? Or is he lying? I'm so confused!

I thought everything was my fault!!!! Does that mean Steven was in the wrong by blaming me for something that isn't my fault?!?

The only thing that makes me think that Slate is lying is all the lies. If there wasn't a list of lies/questionable decisions I would be inclined to believe him still! But you can't say that something has never had a problem, like how no box makes a ringing sound or has faulty headphones, but then I get 3 back to back to back with those issues. How would I be at fault for not believing such nonsense? Of course I am going to see them as liars until they tell the truth, that's how we're supposed to live our lives! Yes I understand it probably hurts Steven Slate's feelings to be called a liar, but he's a millionaire picking on poor people. It definitely hurts my feelings more having my time being taken advantage of gathering all this info for them to do nothing with the info I gathered for them and make no attempts to fixing the bugs, because they aren't actual bugs, they're just one off things that only I am experiencing....until I see other people with the same issues. It's the definition of lying.
Update on the 2nd VRS8 I received about couple months ago....

It is running great but it did have an issue with the power supply which I was like NO!!!!!

Slate sent me a 2nd power supply for my 2nd VRS8 and things have been working AMAZINGLY (fingers crossed)!!!!

Hope Slate works out everything for you with the VRS8 having same issues, when the VRS8 works perfectly, it sounds really nice!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search