All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available
Old 3 weeks ago
0N3
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys.

Much of the development of the VRS8 was revolved around the question “ how old the hell are we going to make this thing $2000 with all of this expensive crap in it?”.

And to be honest, we didn’t do all that well, since it’s a pretty low margin product because it is so expensive to produce.

However, if we designed it to do 192khz, it would not have made any difference for sample rates below that, it would’ve increased the cost, and I believe less than 5% of users would actually utilize that super high sample rate. Therefore the decision was made to at 96kHz, and I think it was a great decision.

Windows users, we do have one remaining bug that our team is tackling. It’s quite a rare bug, but as many know about me… I like things perfect. More news soon.

Steven
This is why I am getting the VRS8, this customer service is unparalleled! Every single time I see an issue raised about an SD product, Steve himself almost immediately gets on it. Excited to use your VRS8 and Mics and not have to basically ever worry about it not working.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

@ Steven Slate , Does analog gear really sound "better", or is it just a learned response?

Please give them a befitting and ear-opening reply.

Made fun of FG-116.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

VRS8 driver issue??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyZ View Post
VRS only supports up to 96k.

RTL is 2.1ms at 96/64 and 5ms at 44/64

You can switch from DAW to system audio without issue. However, since VRS uses ASIO driver on Windows you will not be able to change buffers in the DAW while audio is running on the web browser. But simply close the web browser and change the buffer in the DAW, then reopen the web browser.

CPU load will be the same, just depends on what buffers you are running at.
Just picked up VRS8 about a month ago, been having exact issues as above quote. Only difference is Im running new Mac mini with i7 six core 3.2ghz Mojave 10.14.6

Changed out thunderbolt cables and didn't resolve issue. Mac recognizes VRS8 driver in system preferences and audio/midi setup. Issue is VRS8 and VRS8 Panel dropping audio/signal when I try to use the VRS8 with Safari, Youtube iTunes and all my standalone music apps. I then have to restart the VRS8 and reopen VRS8 Panel and everything will work until I began to switch between above apps.

My DAW is Pro Tools 2019.6 recording at 96k and VRS8 is 50/50 at best with stability in that app also.

Driver issue??

Im stumped on this one....help!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky eye scream View Post

Changed out thunderbolt cables and didn't resolve issue. Mac recognizes VRS8 driver in system preferences and audio/midi setup. Issue is VRS8 and VRS8 Panel dropping audio/signal when I try to use the VRS8 with Safari, Youtube iTunes and all my standalone music apps. I then have to restart the VRS8 and reopen VRS8 Panel and everything will work until I began to switch between above apps.

My DAW is Pro Tools 2019.6 recording at 96k and VRS8 is 50/50 at best with stability in that app also.

Driver issue??

Im stumped on this one....help!!!
Doesn't sound like a driver issue, perhaps a Thunderbolt card problem on the VRS.

Please file a support ticket: https://slatedigital.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I contacted Slate support and they jumped right on the issue. Sounds like it's a hardware issue with the VRS8, support had me fill out a RMA request form.

Looks like I'll be getting a new VRS8 in the mail next week! Fingers crossed the new unit is good to go with NO issues...pretty please!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi, I literally can't wait for the full support on Older Macs, I have a 5,1 and i can't connect to my VRS8 thru thunderbolt due to lack of support from Apple on this computers, and not being able to hookup a Thunderbolt card via PCIE. Yes I know some people are being able to hack the Motherboard and get it working but I'm not that much of a computer geek, Please @ Steven Slate , I know you're guys working really hard!!!!, just let us know!!! So far Have done some test on my Macbook Pro with thunderbolt and it sound Terrific!!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

minimum requirements for rec pro vocals? +upgrade question
@ Steven Slate ,Give a befitting reply there. They are making fun of VMS ML-1's accuracy, VRS8, naming it as a ponzy scheme.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post

I know there is a huge demand for the two channel version so I promise you guys that as soon as we roll out the 8 Channel, we will work really hard to follow it up as soon as possible!

Steven

@ Steven Slate , That was your statement in 2017. 2 years later,
For VRS 2/4 please and please add an option of 192 Khz sample rate.

Any words if VRS 2/4 are going to be available soon ?

Also any official celebration/new releases planned on midnight of 4th September, when clock will strike 12'o clock ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search