The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you very much for your comments, Claudio! not that I had any doubts about the interface, Slate's products or where I also believe the future is going, but it's doubly reassuring to hear this kind of praise for the VRS8 with your experience in very high-end set-ups as well. We really are living in a golden age

Though the idea that all interfaces have 'mastering-grade' converters, sam guaiana, just doesn't seem right to me. While we're definitely living in a time where you can get good results as pretty much any price-point, not all interfaces are naturally alike. You can't compare a cheap Steinberg interface with a Lynx, Prism or Antelope interface priced many thousand dollars more. There's a reason they are priced more. What Slate is doing is what they've always done and why we love them: democratizing very expensive gear and giving virtually indistinguishable results at a much cheaper price for the masses. This way, I have a virtual console, tape machine, vintage mic locker with mics I literally could not have otherwise, etc and still have enough money left over to buy that Playstation
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Yep!
As much as I currently dislike that preamp, I'm still leaning toward checking the VRS out for its converter quality. I need 16 more channels of something shortly, and this interface might fit the bill price/quality wise if it can stand shoulders with the Symphony I/O.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel C Media View Post
and still have enough money left over to buy that Playstation
more like money left over to buy that Nintendo Switch!
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut

Epic thread! I'm in the market for a new 8p interface, and was JUST about to part with my money to grab the UA Apollo X after having a *strong* hunch a new one might be on its way, and while I heard great things about this I just didn't think it would be available anytime soon so I didn't think much about it.

I'd love to hear from Steven or Claudio (or anyone else) what the competitive advantages are of getting this over the new UA Apollo X? Understood that you've cut out the internal DSP chip scheme.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
Jesus, ok:

Session was June 11th at Westlake Studio D, for a Korean artist on SM Entertainment (biggest label in Korea).
Arranger/conductor was Myron McKinley, who's also the MD for Earth, Wind and Fire.

We did drums and strings that day. I didn't have time to film a documentary, because LA union players are extremely expensive and you really can't waste any time.

1st and 2nd violins where Neumann U67's, violas U87's, cellos AKG 414 with C12 capsules and basses where U47 tubes.
Room, which is where 90% of your sound should come from, where C12's and Royer 121's.

At the same time I've used ML2's for violins and room, and ML 1's for the cellos and basses. I didn't have enough Slate mic's for the violas, so we used the 87's for the mix (but still used the VMS plug in).

When I mixed it, I did one with just the Slates and one without, and the Slate mix won out. Both mixes sounded great, but the "Slate" mix took about half the time.

I've attached a pic, where you can see two ML2's used for room, with a Royer next to it and 67's in the background. As I mentioned, it was tight day and I didn't have time to play photographer.

Feel free to Google my name, Claudio Cueni. I have absolutely no motivation to lie about anything, my mixes sold over 50 million copies. I'm just very exited about this technology.
Gracias.

But here's the problem, I understand you've sold '50 million copies' of records, that doesn't mean that anyone needs to take your word for anything. I also understand that you didn't take any photos, have video, or session files to show your claim. Fine. But having an extraordinary claim demands extraordinary proof. I'm sure you understand that.

Now, for a guy who mixes hip-hop etc., there really is no need for using all 10-series Neve pre's etc. You basically need a clean throughput, and that's an excellent environment for the Slate interface. And having the fast manipulation of sound (after tracking) is of high importance in this kind of situation. So I understand that part of your situation. I don't mix hip-hop or radio country or anything like that, if that gives you a hint of my situation.

It's kind of like this, Slate brought out the virtual tape machine many moons ago. He claimed that you couldn't tell the difference between the real machine and the plugin. My studio owns a Studer A820 and a couple of Mara Machines. His plugin doesn't sound anything like the hardware we have and use. I like his plugin, but it doesn't sound anything like it. I remember bringing this up to him and he politely posted samples and photos etc. of the machine that they emulated alongside the plugin, and damned if they didn't sound exactly alike. Mad props to Steven and Fabrice for that. Didn't sound anything like our machine, which is fine. There is a lot of difference in separate machines, and a lot of variables to deal with.

While I take your word for it, I guess, that the situation went down like you said it did on that day, without any examples or anything it really doesn't mean much. And when you make crazy big claims like you did, it definitely needs to be backed up. So as for calling you "a liar", well, you made a pretty big claim. And you can't back it up. So where does that leave us? It leaves us exactly where we were, which is some random internet guy (me) asking for some evidence from a guy who is obviously a beta-tester. It's no different than a microphone tester who claims "I put up my Townsend modeling mic next to my U47 and the Townsend won!" Ok, but there's lots of variables here. And readers and buyers need to know what the claim is and have examples. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Or we can all just say "this guy makes lots of records we should believe everything he says".

As far as my skepticism, it might be because I live in NY and work a lot in Nashville where there are at least 50 studios who claim they have 'part of the console used to record Dark Side of The Moon'. If I offended you, it wasn't my intent I promise.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
0.7 ms latency is really impressive, but what computer / laptop do you need to get a stable recording? How many vmr / tracks can I record at 32 sample rate? thank u
This is a very important questions. Perhaps Slate Digital could partner up with some computer building computers to offer "VRS Certified" turnkey computers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I appreciate the response. But again, everyone is using mastering grade converters. As I mentioned, we've sorta hit the golden age of conversion, where they're all pretty amazing. Pros know that "mastering grade" is the "curated experience" of the audio world.
Damn Sam, you be trolling. Chill pill, bro. Chillll pillll.

To give you specifics, the converters are AK5578 from Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM). Read the specs at https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK5578EN.pdf .

The op amps are Texas Instruments OPA1612. These are sweet components! Specs at OPA1612 SoundPlus™ Audio Operational Amplifier with 1.1nV/√Hz Noise, Low THD and Precision | TI.com

Source: YouTube

Quote:
It's not particularly easy to patch in a compressor AFTER your preamp. I'd like to use the preamp and patch in some outboard, maybe some clean but hard compression for peak control (or in my case the urge to see everything look like a sausage). This is almost impossible on this system without an outboard pre.

Quote:
Initial reviews are great! You have clean conversion and clean pres, what is there to not be positive about out of the gate. But please, and I know you know this, PLEASE don't mention the Facebook group as an unbiased praise to anything you release. They'd buy crusty underwear if it had your logo on it. But after 3800 posts wondering why the FG-401 doesn't work even after you stickied the fix to the top of the page tells me we're not really dealing with the cream of the crop over there...

And I'm still waiting on my blue 1176 all buttons!!!!!!!
If you don't stop your trolling Rage Steven is going to lay the smackdown on your candy ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
You tracked a 19 piece string group, with vintage mics and Neve pre's - and the slate interface - at the same time, but you CHOSE to use the Slate Plugins and virtual pre's because it was [B][I]"more flexible and a better end product"

That, quite literally, make no sense at all. Also, not to be rude, but I don't believe you even in the slightest. You tracked through all "10-series Neve" pre's, but chose to throw all of that out because the "virtual Slate plugins" sounded better? Unless you can cough up some seriously legit photos/videos and reproducible examples, I'm just going to assume you're a shill because it literally makes no sense (time-wise, cost-wise, etc etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
Session was June 11th at Westlake Studio D, for a Korean artist on SM Entertainment (biggest label in Korea).
Arranger/conductor was Myron McKinley, who's also the MD for Earth, Wind and Fire.

*SNIP*

I've attached a pic, where you can see two ML2's used for room, with a Royer next to it and 67's in the background. As I mentioned, it was tight day and I didn't have time to play photographer.

Feel free to Google my name, Claudio Cueni. I have absolutely no motivation to lie about anything, my mixes sold over 50 million copies. I'm just very exited about this technology.
As we say at the end of a winning Call of Duty/Fortnite game:

You just got rekt. Git gud

In all seriousness though, it is a good thing to be skeptical around potential snake oil salesmen.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

As we say at the end of a winning Call of Duty/Fortnite game:

You just got rekt. Git gud

In all seriousness though, it is a good thing to be skeptical around potential snake oil salesmen.
I am skeptical of basically all claims in the audio world, especially the virtual-audio world.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am skeptical of basically all claims in the audio world, especially the virtual-audio world.
It's healthy to do that...especially for big bold claims.

I forgot to add, WIMA capacitors are supposedly inside the VRS8 as well. As long as nothing changed since the below video was released.

So, the analog components should sound nice and hold up well over the years. I personally don't have a need for the VRS8 right now but maybe one day. Perhaps by the time it gets some insert points so I can use some of my analog gear?

@ Steven Slate , please post the ass plate of your new hardware please. Not just close ups of individual ins/outs. Fill up my whole monitor with it!

Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Gracias.

But here's the problem, I understand you've sold '50 million copies' of records, that doesn't mean that anyone needs to take your word for anything. I also understand that you didn't take any photos, have video, or session files to show your claim. Fine. But having an extraordinary claim demands extraordinary proof. I'm sure you understand that.

........bla bla bla............

As far as my skepticism, it might be because I live in NY and work a lot in Nashville where there are at least 50 studios who claim they have 'part of the console used to record Dark Side of The Moon'. If I offended you, it wasn't my intent I promise.
Look, I don't work for Slate, I'm simply an audio engineer sharing his experience. I also don't produce recording tutorials or mic comparisons, I'm way too busy recording and mixing records. I guess Steven wanted his stuff tested in real world scenarios, thats why he gave it to people like me.

Also, if you're a pro, you know that you can't and shouldn't share your clients property, aka music.

Not sure what makes you think I would be lying, and at this point I don't really care. Best thing I can offer you next time you're in LA or I'm in NY (not too many studios left in my fav city), come with me to a session, maybe we can teach each other a thing or two.

Btw, you should try mixing urban music for a change. To me it's the most fun, absolutely no rules, and can be really challenging in a good way if you respect the art form.

But I mixed everything from Pac to Stanley Clarke, and I love the variety, that and the ever changing technology keeps it fun for me even after spending the last 3 decades in studios.

I'm out on this, was fun while it lasted,

C.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut

Aww dang, Claudio please don't let the hater(s) chase you out of here-- some of us here really appreciate your input! It's one thing to have some healthy skepticism, but it sounds like a few people here have already made their decision about this product.

How funny, some unwaveringly bitter people in the Apollo release threads too
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head
@ doom64
So, the analog components should sound nice and hold up well over the years. I personally don't have a need for the VRS8 right now but maybe one day. Perhaps by the time it gets some insert points so I can use some of my analog gear?

But why not just using the line outs and ins on the interface for outboard gear? It should work like a charm with the low latency!?
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Aww dang, Claudio please don't let the hater(s) chase you out of here-- some of us here really appreciate your input! It's one thing to have some healthy skepticism, but it sounds like a few people here have already made their decision about this product.

How funny, some unwaveringly bitter people in the Apollo release threads too
that was meant in reference to the Slammy guy, I'm done with him, lol.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, I don't have any insights into Stevens severe bacon addiction, but anything else I'm game.

thanks

C.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

Ok just ordered through Thomann, I will give it a go, I tried the original VMS and whilst I liked it I found that when singing it seemed to be missing something, even on my cheaper mics when I hit that high note I get that tingle on the back of the neck, I just couldn't get that with the VMS, it somehow seemed to be missing some air or something in the high end, maybe it was a defective unit, I really do love the idea of this and want it to work, so I will give it another go.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
This is a very important questions. Perhaps Slate Digital could partner up with some computer building computers to offer "VRS Certified" turnkey computers?

hi doom64. u seem to have a lot of knowledge, so the post below is information that might be wrong though I thought I would chime in and ask ur opinion.

if the 0.7 ms figure is real and stable at 32 with a laptop, u will probably be able to use insert within ur DAW with crazy numbers figures.

I love my Motu 1248 and the routing capabilities (I actually think the weak point in the VRS8 is to not be able to daisy chain units with cheap cables for long distances like AVB). but, if I'm not mistaken (I'm writing by memory), to route within the Motu 1248 interface, the latency is something like 0.5 ms. if I can get that kind of latency within DAW control with IO, that might be a better solution imo. what do u think?

to make things easier to exemplify, I attached two print screen with samples rates of 44K and 96K with IO numbers, and what samples delay correspond to ms. I'd like ur opinion :] hehe thanks

edit: btw, I would love some info on IO using DAW from Slate too hehe :]
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available-screen-shot-2018-09-07-08.38.27.jpg   Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available-screen-shot-2018-09-07-08.37.00.jpg  
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

I can't really understand why anyone would need 0.7 ms, anything under 1.7 ms is almost imperceptible IMO
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
I can't really understand why anyone would need 0.7 ms, anything under 1.7 ms is almost imperceptible IMO
0.7 RTL @ 96K is a nominal number , its a physical impossibility.

The sound still needs to travel through the AD/DA , let alone the actual driver buffers.

Also, the real question is also how long will the system remain efficient at those working latencies.

I'll reserve any further opinion until after the Windows implementation breaks cover.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
I am ok up to 3-5 ms depending on what I am doing. but, for instance, there are several plugins that are no latency but actually adds up 10 samples. if I record a drum kit for instance the plugins latency add up. I can also add I/O hardware imperceptible, and I can also increase my buffer size depending on the latency to make things more stable. also retracking makes thing easier with a good drive. just my opinion, but I see lots of advantages in lower latencies drivers.
Old 7th September 2018
Deleted User
So, if Im reading this correctly I can throw the PCIe card into my 2010 cheese grater MacPro and run this interface via PCIe since I dont have TB?
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

Guitar center still says it’s not available until November 16th. What’s the deal? Did sweetwater get your entire first shipment? If so, when is guitar center getting theirs and did they order enough to cover pre-orders?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

O.7 ms rtl at 96k 32?
I’d sooner expect that the 0.7ms rtl is at 192k.
I forget what my Quantum 2 does at 96 32...

Last edited by ~ufo~; 7th September 2018 at 05:33 PM..
Old 7th September 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
It's kind of like this, Slate brought out the virtual tape machine many moons ago. He claimed that you couldn't tell the difference between the real machine and the plugin. My studio owns a Studer A820 and a couple of Mara Machines. His plugin doesn't sound anything like the hardware we have and use.
There is probably a good reason why the VTM didn't sound like the 820. VTM models a 2" 827 machine, not an 820 machine. The VTM also doesn't sound like a JH24 or any other tape machine that we didn't model

However, we did model Howie Weinberg's A80 and here is what happened when a customer actually compared to that machine:

Also, for what it's worth, Howie retired his machine after doing A/Bs

So my advice slammy is to give this whole virtual thing another chance, you may even make some great sounding music and have fun doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthehuman View Post
Guitar center still says it’s not available until November 16th. What’s the deal? Did sweetwater get your entire first shipment? If so, when is guitar center getting theirs and did they order enough to cover pre-orders?
I am told Guitar Center is due to have stock on October 1st. Where are you getting your info from?

Also guys!!! In case you want to hear the Virtual Recording Studio including all of our microphone modeling and plugins and VRS8 with your OWN EARS..

NOTHING will be as valuable as downloading the VRS Experience:
VRS Experience - Slate Digital

Thanks again folks! And Claudio thanks again for hanging here!

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 7th September 2018 at 07:14 PM..
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
So, if Im reading this correctly I can throw the PCIe card into my 2010 cheese grater MacPro and run this interface via PCIe since I dont have TB?
Yep!
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Really think this is my next interface. It's a tough decision, but I truly believe this is the future of audio production. Guitar emulation has gotten so good that I barely record real amps anymore, and the VCC stuff is all I use for mixing (aside from a couple plugs like drum leveler). I love the no frills angle of the interface... my current interface has been nothing but a nightmare for over 2 years.

The fact that the VRS8 doesn't require firmware updates or host plugins... I feel like it will be bomb proof for reliability. I'm scared, my last interface was over $3K CDN... but, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Only bummer is affording 2 of these and at least 10 of the ML-2's. Fingers crossed Mr. Slate!

Last edited by Cody; 7th September 2018 at 08:58 PM..
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

October 1st... well damnit. Alright. Looks like I’ll be patiently waiting a month still...

I’m getting the info from their website. If you look at the product it says when it’s available. Their site says 11-16-18.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I won't be picking it up unfortunately until a smaller one or two-channel version is released, which is probably still several months away at least. While I could afford what's available right now, it just doesn't seem like a wise decision when it's excessive for my needs and it's very likely that a cheaper, smaller version for electronic producers, DJ's and singer-songwriters will come out eventually. I'll be content for now just reading and watching what everyone says about it
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Steven

Can you bypass the VRS pre's and use a few of my own pre's, ?

Thank you.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Steven

Can you bypass the VRS pre's and use a few of my own pre's, ?

Thank you.
Absolutely, the 1/4 part of the combo jack is true line input. Having said that, I’d suggest trying the VMS preamp with one of our tube preamps in VTC. Once you track through the London preamp on push mode.. life changes a bit!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Audio trade show?

Does SL8 know what NAMM stands for?

Anyway... my first and probably last SS video.

It was funny, though... and the marching band was awesome!

Tusk, anyone? (I mean they already had the Nicks-a-like singer, right?)
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Steven can you please think about creating the “ultimate pack” for sale?

2x VRS8
10X ML-2
2X ML-1

I’m a drummer and I need this.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymac View Post
Steven can you please think about creating the “ultimate pack” for sale?

2x VRS8
10X ML-2
2X ML-1

I’m a drummer and I need this.
So any dealer should be able to configure this and here’s how it would work:

For the two interfaces, the second is $500 off so it’s $3499.

Each Mic package is $500 and you have four so that’s $2000

Steven
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search