The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbenoit View Post
Mine gets here tomorrow. Can't wait to track some drums!
Hi Kpbenoit!

Just out of curiosity, where did you order from?
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac
my Motu 1248 on 32 sample rate and 96 goes 1.2 roundtrip. 0.7 ms is really impressive, but what computer / laptop u need to get a stable recording? and how many vmr / tracks can I record at 32 sample rate? thank u
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Ordered from sweetwater. Was on the phone with my rep before they even had a pre order page LOL! I got the big bundle (5 mics I think). Heck I would have ordered 2 units but there was never any clarity about the multiple unit discount during the preorder process. I'm all in for this thing!
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head

Guitar center doesn’t even have their page reflecting its even available.

Slate, I would maybe have your sales reps hit up GC and tell them to fix their stuff.
Old 6th September 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthehuman View Post
So, question then. I've had a pre-order for 2 of the units from guitar center since December. How will the $500 discount apply? Is it just supposed to be coded in their system when you buy 2? Or is it a mail in rebate or something to that extent?

I actually bought 2 of the 6 mic packages so, with the pre-order bonus I'll have an excess of microphones. Hahaha. A total of 16! Guess I wont have any issues micing up the largest of drum kits...
Hi, I've just spoke with our sales director who will clarify with our dealer network that additional VRS8 units are $500 OFF. Sorry about the situation, but you're gonna have a LOT of fun with your Virtual Recording Studio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat View Post
How about Pro Tools? I switched from a TDM system to UAD a few years ago and the simplicity of tracking only using the actual DAW is something I miss a lot.

I've always got my eye out for a new technology (I refuse to go HDX!) in interfaces that will allow me to have this again.

You've definitely got my attention.
Hi guys, I'll get some RTL values at various sampling rates and on various DAWs. But you can still get very low latency even at 48khz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyomega View Post
Is this delay of .7ms truly the roundtrip latency or just the output latency?
I suppose these are marketing numbers with 96k and the smallest possible buffer size?
Yes the .7ms is 32buffers at 96khz in Logic, but it can record with complete stability at this rate on a nice new processor! So this is a real world scenario in our case. We did 16 channels of drums into Logic and Studio One at 96khz lowest buffers and it was insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Your sound guy should be fired. I heard not one, but two cuts on your breaths.

Also, no black V-neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
I think every manufacturer now reports their best latency with 96k and around 32 buffer size. Obviously you'll need a beefy computer to pull it off.
Yes, we recommend putting your money into beefy computers, which will give you a far bigger return on investment and performance as compared to.... oh I dunno.... ten year old DSP Chips!

I kidddddd I kidddddd... The UA Box is obviously stellar and is certainly keeping us on our toes!

Quote:
Mine gets here tomorrow. Can't wait to track some drums!
I can't wait either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
my Motu 1248 on 32 sample rate and 96 goes 1.2 roundtrip. 0.7 ms is really impressive, but what computer / laptop u need to get a stable recording? and how many vmr / tracks can I record at 32 sample rate? thank u
We'll have some setups and stats to show people exactly what they can expect. But basically as a general rule, the more powerful the processor, the more tracks you'll be able to record with plugins at the lowest latency.

Quote:
Ordered from sweetwater. Was on the phone with my rep before they even had a pre order page LOL! I got the big bundle (5 mics I think). Heck I would have ordered 2 units but there was never any clarity about the multiple unit discount during the preorder process. I'm all in for this thing!
Our sales director will be reaffirming the procedure with our resellers to get people 25% off on additional VRS8 units.

Quote:
Guitar center doesn’t even have their page reflecting its even available.

Slate, I would maybe have your sales reps hit up GC and tell them to fix their stuff.
Yup it's happening.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 6th September 2018
Can I ask exactly what we're getting for $2000? Something doesn't really seem to add up here. And the idea that this is a "no compromise" system also seems to make no sense.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Can I ask exactly what we're getting for $2000? Something doesn't really seem to add up here. And the idea that this is a "no compromise" system also seems to make no sense.
You’re trolling right? You wouldn’t be in this forum if you didn’t know what the product was. Pages upon pages from the previous thread of info, plus all the info available in video. Plus what is listed in this thread itself.

What’s the point in questions like that? This is where a RTFM acronym should be replaced with RTFT. Or a stop trolling acronym. I’m sure someone has one.
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
You’re trolling right? You wouldn’t be in this forum if you didn’t know what the product was. Pages upon pages from the previous thread of info, plus all the info available in video. Plus what is listed in this thread itself.

What’s the point in questions like that? This is where a RTFM acronym should be replaced with RTFT. Or a stop trolling acronym. I’m sure someone has one.
8 clean pres, 10 channels of conversion, MIDI I/O, no ADAT, no DSP, no scalability. I bet if I bought all of this in separate pieces, I'd clock in at under $2000. But somehow I'm the troll here...

EDIT: Combo jacks, no insert points, no software control, no talkback, no SPDIF. But MIDI... Hooo boy, good thing we got MIDI.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Hi Sam! You get the VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface which has eight VMS Preamps designed by Paul Wolff of API/Tonelux fame, you get mastering grade A/D/A converters with 127db dynamic range on input, you get LLN which allows you to monitor at very low latencies through plugins without massive CPU hits, and you get a year license for the Everything Bundle which gets you all Slate Digital plugins, top third plugins, and every plugin we come out with for the next year.

Additionally, there is a PCIe card in the box that will work with desktop Windows machines and legacy Macs once those drivers are available, which are in beta.

Then, you can do the following:

- Get an additional VRS8 for $500 off
- Get ML-1 or ML-2 x 5 mic packages for $500 each

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi Sam! You get the VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface which has eight VMS Preamps designed by Paul Wolff of API/Tonelux fame, you get mastering grade A/D/A converters with 127db dynamic range on input, you get LLN which allows you to monitor at very low latencies through plugins without massive CPU hits, and you get a year license for the Everything Bundle which gets you all Slate Digital plugins, top third plugins, and every plugin we come out with for the next year.

Additionally, there is a PCIe card in the box that will work with desktop Windows machines and legacy Macs once those drivers are available, which are in beta.

Then, you can do the following:

- Get an additional VRS8 for $500 off
- Get ML-1 or ML-2 x 5 mic packages for $500 each

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steven
I mean it doesn't really help. This unit is stunted by it's own design. We've hit a pretty great golden age of converter cost/performance ratio, and we've all learned that if every interface has "mastering grade" conversion, well then probably none of them really do. And I think it's fantastic that you built an interface with some solid code that makes it hella low latency.

At the best, this is a box that will deliver your audio from A to D very quickly. But I have a monster machine, as well as most serious studios, and processing power isn't an issue in 2018. And other interfaces tout being fast as heck too these days. It just seems to me that locking into one ecosystem is the death of true creativity. This system allows for no growth in any way, from the lack of insert points, to the idea that patching in any real piece of gear kinda completely negates the whole emulation part.

I get scared when the audio industry starts its decent into planned obsolescence. Is nothing safe from it?
Old 7th September 2018

Sam thanks so much for your feedback! The reason we call this mastering grade converters is because the same converters we use are used in very high end mastering converters. The specs on them are some of the highest available, and they certainly aren't the cheapest converter chips for a developer to use.

Regarding ecosystem, in some cases, pros like to know that a system is INTEGRATED and therefore will work... whereas building a system of different devices may not be as reliable.

Also, it’s very easy to patch in other gear just as you would with any at your face. In fact we have true line inputs which is something some other interfaces do not have.

But either way, we understand that our system might not be best for everyone, and that is certainly ok! But the initial reviews (check out our Facebook group Slate Audiophiles too) are extremely positive! Especially when you start tracking through the virtual microphones!

Thanks again man!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

The Apogee Element 88 has 8 pres, very low latency, and SPDIF / ADAT for $1500. Apogee’s pres are renowned to be very clean and their conversion is also supposed to be top notch. So perhaps the extra $500 for Slate is going towards the PCIe card, plugins, and LLN? Not sure what other interfaces can compete with Slate’s though in the $1.5-2k price point! Seems fairly unique.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
We'll have some setups and stats to show people exactly what they can expect. But basically as a general rule, the more powerful the processor, the more tracks you'll be able to record with plugins at the lowest latency.

Cheers,
Steven
hi Steven! thanks for replying, I appreciate it so much. i hate when manufactures go with "negligible" or "near zero latency" statements. it'd be a great attitude if u can do so, I'd respect it very much!!! if u can also inform how many VMR instances + how many tracks I can run with stability on 32 buffer size would be great (stating other laptop models too, as the world it's just too big!)

btw: I saw u moaning and groaning that nobody cared about ur comparison with hardware or other manufactures comparison in ur FG-stress plugin. I actually am pretty sure if I had learned from the begging to make music with ur plugins, I'd use them almost exclusively. it's hard work, but time will reward u. pretty sure about that. no need for that attitude!

I waited until ur interface was available but was also expecting UA / NI releases to decide the way to go. as soon as I am able to purchase urs, I'm going to buy it!!! please consider selling a bundle consisting 3 VMS ML-1 + 5 VMS ML-2!! thanks again!
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Sam thanks so much for your feedback! The reason we call this mastering grade converters is because the same converters we use are used in very high end mastering converters. The specs on them are some of the highest available, and they certainly aren't the cheapest converter chips for a developer to use.

Regarding ecosystem, in some cases, pros like to know that a system is INTEGRATED and therefore will work... whereas building a system of different devices may not be as reliable.

Also, it’s very easy to patch in other gear just as you would with any at your face. In fact we have true line inputs which is something some other interfaces do not have.

But either way, we understand that our system might not be best for everyone, and that is certainly ok! But the initial reviews (check out our Facebook group Slate Audiophiles too) are extremely positive! Especially when you start tracking through the virtual microphones!

Thanks again man!

Cheers,
Steven
I appreciate the response. But again, everyone is using mastering grade converters. As I mentioned, we've sorta hit the golden age of conversion, where they're all pretty amazing. Pros know that "mastering grade" is the "curated experience" of the audio world.

It's not particularly easy to patch in a compressor AFTER your preamp. I'd like to use the preamp and patch in some outboard, maybe some clean but hard compression for peak control (or in my case the urge to see everything look like a sausage). This is almost impossible on this system without an outboard pre.

Initial reviews are great! You have clean conversion and clean pres, what is there to not be positive about out of the gate. But please, and I know you know this, PLEASE don't mention the Facebook group as an unbiased praise to anything you release. They'd buy crusty underwear if it had your logo on it. But after 3800 posts wondering why the FG-401 doesn't work even after you stickied the fix to the top of the page tells me we're not really dealing with the cream of the crop over there...

And I'm still waiting on my blue 1176 all buttons!!!!!!!
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I mean it doesn't really help. This unit is stunted by it's own design. We've hit a pretty great golden age of converter cost/performance ratio, and we've all learned that if every interface has "mastering grade" conversion, well then probably none of them really do. And I think it's fantastic that you built an interface with some solid code that makes it hella low latency.

At the best, this is a box that will deliver your audio from A to D very quickly. But I have a monster machine, as well as most serious studios, and processing power isn't an issue in 2018. And other interfaces tout being fast as heck too these days. It just seems to me that locking into one ecosystem is the death of true creativity. This system allows for no growth in any way, from the lack of insert points, to the idea that patching in any real piece of gear kinda completely negates the whole emulation part.

I get scared when the audio industry starts its decent into planned obsolescence. Is nothing safe from it?
You have to use it to get it. It's very much the future of recording. The whole system with the ML1/ML2 mic's and the mic emulations does not only sound incredible, but being able to change the pre and mic AFTER the recording, and doing it by being extremely accurate to the originals, makes this the most creative recording set up I've ever used.

I was lucky enough to be one of the beta testers, and regularly work at very high end studios all over the world. This rig is giving me the same sound quality as any Neve/Neumann/Telefunken/AKG/RCA set up.
I did a 19 piece string date at Westlake a few weeks ago, recording with high end vintage mic's/all 10 series Neve pre's and the Slate rig at the same time. We ended up using the Slate at the mix stage, same quality sound, but just way more flexible, and ultimately a better end product.

And the conversion stands shoulder to shoulder with very high end converters. Besides the VRS, I own Focusrite Red series, Lynx, Avid and Apogee Symphony converters. To me, the Slate and the Focusrite are the best sounding ones.

Lastly, this thing, even with beta drivers, was rock solid. And I tried hard to make it trip up. Daisy chained the **** out of the TB bus, ran it of ****ty power generators in live situations, even on my old 2013 MacBook Pro, it never failed and latency wasn't an issue.

hope this helps,

Claudio
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Are the preamps the exact same as the VMS One pre that came with the ML-1?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Are the preamps the exact same as the VMS One pre that came with the ML-1?
Yep!
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
You have to use it to get it. It's very much the future of recording.
Now, where have I heard that before... oh yeah! Here:

Quote:
I did a 19 piece string date at Westlake a few weeks ago, recording with high end vintage mic's/all 10 series Neve pre's and the Slate rig at the same time. We ended up using the Slate at the mix stage, same quality sound, but just way more flexible, and ultimately a better end product.
Wait... what exactly now?

You tracked a 19 piece string group, with vintage mics and Neve pre's - and the slate interface - at the same time, but you CHOSE to use the Slate Plugins and virtual pre's because it was "more flexible and a better end product"?

That, quite literally, make no sense at all. Also, not to be rude, but I don't believe you even in the slightest. You tracked through all "10-series Neve" pre's, but chose to throw all of that out because the "virtual Slate plugins" sounded better? Unless you can cough up some seriously legit photos/videos and reproducible examples, I'm just going to assume you're a shill because it literally makes no sense (time-wise, cost-wise, etc etc)
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I appreciate the response. But again, everyone is using mastering grade converters. As I mentioned, we've sorta hit the golden age of conversion, where they're all pretty amazing. Pros know that "mastering grade" is the "curated experience" of the audio world.

It's not particularly easy to patch in a compressor AFTER your preamp. I'd like to use the preamp and patch in some outboard, maybe some clean but hard compression for peak control (or in my case the urge to see everything look like a sausage). This is almost impossible on this system without an outboard pre.

Initial reviews are great! You have clean conversion and clean pres, what is there to not be positive about out of the gate. But please, and I know you know this, PLEASE don't mention the Facebook group as an unbiased praise to anything you release. They'd buy crusty underwear if it had your logo on it. But after 3800 posts wondering why the FG-401 doesn't work even after you stickied the fix to the top of the page tells me we're not really dealing with the cream of the crop over there...

And I'm still waiting on my blue 1176 all buttons!!!!!!!
Don't like it, don't buy it. If you have ADAT requirements, and lots of outboard gear, this interface isn't for you, and you should have known that over a year ago.

I'm interested because of the very low latency. I'm interested because of the modelling it offers.

I'm into software, not hardware, and this interface looks to be absolutely great from that perspective. It's got better specs than almost all of the other units out there.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
The Apogee Element 88 has 8 pres, very low latency, and SPDIF / ADAT for $1500. Apogee’s pres are renowned to be very clean and their conversion is also supposed to be top notch. So perhaps the extra $500 for Slate is going towards the PCIe card, plugins, and LLN? Not sure what other interfaces can compete with Slate’s though in the $1.5-2k price point! Seems fairly unique.
Hi! The Apogee Element 88 A/Ds have 119db dynamic range, whereas the VRS8 has 127. This is quite a difference.

It also doesn't have JFET Di or Discrete headphone amp. This can explain the price gap.

Having said that, Apogee makes some of the best recording gear in the game and I bet if you can't make a great record with the Element 88, it's not the interface's fault!

Quote:
You have to use it to get it. It's very much the future of recording. The whole system with the ML1/ML2 mic's and the mic emulations does not only sound incredible, but being able to change the pre and mic AFTER the recording, and doing it by being extremely accurate to the originals, makes this the most creative recording set up I've ever used.

I was lucky enough to be one of the beta testers, and regularly work at very high end studios all over the world. This rig is giving me the same sound quality as any Neve/Neumann/Telefunken/AKG/RCA set up.

And the conversion stands shoulder to shoulder with very high end converters. Besides the VRS, I own Focusrite Red series, Lynx, Avid and Apogee Symphony converters. To me, the Slate and the Focusrite are the best sounding ones.

Lastly, this thing, even with beta drivers, was rock solid. And I tried hard to make it trip up. Daisy chained the **** out of the TB bus, ran it of ****ty power generators in live situations, even on my old 2013 MacBook Pro, it never failed and latency wasn't an issue.

hope this helps,

Claudio
Thank you so much Claudio! Getting pros like you to help us beta the VRS8 has been priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post

That, quite literally, make no sense at all. Also, not to be rude, but I don't believe you even in the slightest.
You're talking to a guy who has recorded Grammy winning artists. I would caution against calling him a liar. He is an extremely talented guy who appears to care about the creative process and producing results... not about gear snobbery. Expensive gear has never made a record. It's people who make the records. And people will choose whatever tools work for them.

Thanks for the conversation folks! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
Now, where have I heard that before... oh yeah! Here:

You tracked a 19 piece string group, with vintage mics and Neve pre's - and the slate interface - at the same time, but you CHOSE to use the Slate Plugins and virtual pre's because it was "more flexible and a better end product"?

That, quite literally, make no sense at all. Also, not to be rude, but I don't believe you even in the slightest. You tracked through all "10-series Neve" pre's, but chose to throw all of that out because the "virtual Slate plugins" sounded better? Unless you can cough up some seriously legit photos/videos and reproducible examples, I'm just going to assume you're a shill because it literally makes no sense (time-wise, cost-wise, etc etc)
Jesus, ok:

Session was June 11th at Westlake Studio D, for a Korean artist on SM Entertainment (biggest label in Korea).
Arranger/conductor was Myron McKinley, who's also the MD for Earth, Wind and Fire.

We did drums and strings that day. I didn't have time to film a documentary, because LA union players are extremely expensive and you really can't waste any time.

1st and 2nd violins where Neumann U67's, violas U87's, cellos AKG 414 with C12 capsules and basses where U47 tubes.
Room, which is where 90% of your sound should come from, where C12's and Royer 121's.

At the same time I've used ML2's for violins and room, and ML 1's for the cellos and basses. I didn't have enough Slate mic's for the violas, so we used the 87's for the mix (but still used the VMS plug in).

When I mixed it, I did one with just the Slates and one without, and the Slate mix won out. Both mixes sounded great, but the "Slate" mix took about half the time.

I've attached a pic, where you can see two ML2's used for room, with a Royer next to it and 67's in the background. As I mentioned, it was tight day and I didn't have time to play photographer.

Feel free to Google my name, Claudio Cueni. I have absolutely no motivation to lie about anything, my mixes sold over 50 million copies. I'm just very exited about this technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available-img_2236.jpg  
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

So if I buy one now, for PCIe on Windows 10, is it currently useable with beta drivers, or have those not been publicly released yet?
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Jesus, ok:

Session was June 11th at Westlake Studio D, for a Korean artist on SM Entertainment (biggest label in Korea).
Arranger/conductor was Myron McKinley, who's also the MD for Earth, Wind and Fire.

We did drums and strings that day. I didn't have time to film a documentary, because LA union players are extremely expensive and you really can't waste any time.

1st and 2nd violins where Neumann U67's, violas U87's, cellos AKG 414 with C12 capsules and basses where U47 tubes.
Room, which is where 90% of your sound should come from, where C12's and Royer 121's.

At the same time I've used ML2's for violins and room, and ML 1's for the cellos and basses. I didn't have enough Slate mic's for the violas, so we used the 87's for the mix (but still used the VMS plug in).

When I mixed it, I did one with just the Slates and one without, and the Slate mix won out. Both mixes sounded great, but the "Slate" mix took about half the time.

I've attached a pic, where you can see two ML2's used for room, with a Royer next to it and 67's in the background. As I mentioned, it was tight day and I didn't have time to play photographer.

Feel free to Google my name, Claudio Cueni. I have absolutely no motivation to lie about anything, my mixes sold over 50 million copies. I'm just very exited about this technology.
This is the most satisfying post I've read on gs. Thank you.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Ouch.

Not cool calling someone a liar.

But good post, Claudio. Always good to hear the opinion of a pro who took the time to make real tests.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Jesus, ok:

(Virtual) Mic Drop.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

Troll pwn.

That was pretty epic.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Lets see if slammy80 even shows his (virtual) face in this thread again.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Troll pwn.

That was pretty epic.
That exchange is classic. Definitely a keeper. Firing that up on my Evernote for eternal lulz.

Pffft...50 million sales, what does he know
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks Claudio about your comparisons to other high end converters. That’s what I was hoping for based on specs/parts/chips used. Hoping it would beat my symphony mk1 (or at least match it). Good to hear it’s on the level.
Old 7th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
So if I buy one now, for PCIe on Windows 10, is it currently useable with beta drivers, or have those not been publicly released yet?
Hi, at this moment the PC driver is in beta and not available for the public. However we are extremely close. Expect the PC announcement soon.

Steven
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search