The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amadeus Code, the AI-Powered Songwriting App, Launches with New Harmony Library Utility Plugins
Old 5th September 2018
News Desk Editor

Amadeus Code, the AI-Powered Songwriting App, Launches with New Harmony Library

Amadeus Code, the AI-Powered Songwriting App, Launches with New Harmony Library-60950-amadeus_20code_20-_20combination_2001.jpg

Amadeus Code, the AI-Powered Songwriting Assistant App, Launches with New Harmony Library

Amadeus Code is now open to all users. To celebrate, it is rolling out a new way to construct songs for composers unafraid to explore the possibilities of AI-assisted songwriting. “Our AI has the ability to find really unexpected, but yet compelling melodies and match them to the harmonies suggested by chord progressions,” explains the co-founder of the Tokyo-based tech startup Taishi Fukuyama.

Harmony Library gives users direct access to the chord progressions that power Amadeus Code’s AI songwriting assistant. These chord progressions can be searched by specific parameters, including genre, mood, tempo, and key, or by title or artist. Amadeus Code then generates an infinite number of melodies on top of the chords found in the selected progressions, melodies a user can tweak, dissect, regenerate, and eventually export to their favorite DAW. Composers can then share their creations with other Amadeus Code users and to the world. By providing the chords and tools that help shape the melodies granularly, users can proactively collaborate with Amadeus Code to create original ideas.

“Radio, MTV, and streaming have all made an enormous impact on how creators were exposed to the music of their time. That has inherently shaped how and what they produced. Now that we’ve reached maximum capacity to consume the content we actually have access to, it’s only inevitable that we’re now getting creative and taking control over what ultimately influences our work,” Fukuyama notes. The founding team of Amadeus Code are active professional music producers with experience producing some of the most famous artists of Japan and Korea, and a technologist and serial entrepreneur in music tech.

“Amadeus Code, unlike existing music AI on the market today, is not intended to create finished works to put against a home video, for example,” Fukuyama adds. “We hope that users will complete the work started by Amadeus Code by telling their own unique stories, which will continue to be what makes music truly irreplaceable by artificial intelligence.”

This is not a copy-and-paste operation for hit making, however. This is about more than robo-songwriting. It’s about using algorithms to suggest unfamiliar melodies and expanding one’s imagination efficiently. “AI has this peculiar ability to find novel solutions--some successful, some not so much. These are suggestions which a composer can take or leave,” says Fukuyama. “Its decisions can spark a new idea for a composer, getting her into new creative territory.”

Amadeus Code is now available on the AppStore: Amadeus Code on the App Store
Attached Thumbnails
Amadeus Code, the AI-Powered Songwriting App, Launches with New Harmony Library-60950-amadeus_20code_20-_20combination_2001.jpg  
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Addict

Crashed on my iPhone 6 three times in a row. Deleted it.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Can't find the price at first look, so of course it's a no go
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
Crashed on my iPhone 6 three times in a row. Deleted it.
We're sorry to hear that and are looking into the crash logs.
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear
The app is free to download and also free to use! The only paid feature is save and export audio/MIDI files from the app after your 14 day trial, which is $1.99 (USD). The other option is our subscription which is all you can save/export for $119.99 per year. Hope you'll give it a spin.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusCode View Post
The app is free to download and also free to use! The only paid feature is save and export audio/MIDI files from the app after your 14 day trial, which is $1.99 (USD). The other option is our subscription which is all you can save/export for $119.99 per year. Hope you'll give it a spin.
Just what I need - more unfinished song ideas! Except these ones won't really be mine.

It's advertised as free, but it functions like a save-hobbled demo of commercial payware. The unlocked version costs $120 per year, or instead you can spend every time you save, which just sounds twisted. Like many others, I hate the perpetual in-app purchases/subscription business models; they remind me of crack dealers, grudgingly accepted when the product is deemed indispensable by its users.

The developer claims that "This is not a copy-and-paste operation for hit making..." Then what is it? To me, it appears to be an AI that sits there on the phone all day, jamming out riffs, melodies, and harmonies algorithmically based upon our choices off a menu of chord progressions and/or other options. Meanwhile, it's OUR job to to edit this lazy AI's self-indulgent noodling, to "complete the work started by Amadeus Code", arranging and mixing it into a finished song.

What's the reward here? The AI gets to do the fun part, and I get to pay to polish the robot's detritus? Then, if it becomes a hit song, won't the AI get all of the credit? Sure, I'll get interviewed, but only so they can ask me about working with such a brilliant songwriter AI... when I'M the one who made that song a hit, the developer even admitted that fact in the quote up above! No thanks.

I guess, instead of Amadeus Code, I would prefer, and in fact purchase, Edoc Suedama - the opposite AI that could turn even MY self-indulgent noodling into polished songs. I would buy two of those, for stereo. And I don't mean a Band In a Box, like an arranger or KARMA. Those are more like robot jam bands. I'm talking about Engineers and Producer In a Box, with really well-implemented AI. And I don't mean the old school fake AI, I mean the kind that suddenly could become sentient and decide to kill us all. Also, if you could do a Roadie In a Box and an Audience In a Box, but without any AI, I would buy those too.

I CAN think of at least 4 circumstances when I might enjoy Amadeus Code, though:
1 - Procrastination.
2 - Mailing it in.
3 - For practice evaluating, arranging and mixing musical phrases to which I'm not personally attached. A kind of objectivity training.
4 - I guess I could attempt to create a generative music rig that incorporates CV or MIDI out from my phone or a tablet. Maybe then I could use Amadeus Code as one small step in a nearly sentient AI hit-making system that gathers data online and analyzes all of the latest trends, so that it can learn how to please us aurally. Though I do worry that some day it would ask me why, and I know that by that point it would already be too late to stop it.

But even still, I probably won't be trying this app, because I feel it's a deceptive business model (they say free but no), and because of ideological differences (It automates the funnest part of songwriting. I feel that the musical scratch pad is the most personal of stages, and Amadeus Code makes it one of the least), and because it thrice crashed that guy's phone, I'd wait til more adventurous folk reported success before I'd even reconsider my position.

I appreciate developers, and so I don't pirate software. But I resent this 'keep your customers paying forever' attitude that the big boys can get away with, and I discourage most small developers from adopting it, unless they truly have a captive audience. Even then, please don't treat legitimate users like 'users'. There's room for a win/win scenerio, I'm sure.
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear
Hey PuggaMahone, Hope you'll allow me to reply to your post. My name is Taishi, co-founder COO of Amadeus Code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Just what I need - more unfinished song ideas! Except these ones won't really be mine.
Here are our present thoughts. Because the output ideas are unfinished, it's up to you to freely make them their own.

Quote:
The developer claims that "This is not a copy-and-paste operation for hit making..." Then what is it? To me, it appears to be an AI that sits there on the phone all day, jamming out riffs, melodies, and harmonies algorithmically based upon our choices off a menu of chord progressions and/or other options. Meanwhile, it's OUR job to to edit this lazy AI's self-indulgent noodling, to "complete the work started by Amadeus Code", arranging and mixing it into a finished song.
Actually, I can't argue with a part of what you're saying here, because yes, our hopes that it will always be the (human) artists' role to create and decide what the finished piece of music is. We hope Amadeus Code to be a creative extension of ideas that perhaps wouldn't come naturally. However, I do realize that there is a space for AI to create complete finished works. We may address this market in the future, but is not in our current offering.

Quote:
What's the reward here? The AI gets to do the fun part, and I get to pay to polish the robot's detritus? Then, if it becomes a hit song, won't the AI get all of the credit?
You can credit Amadeus Code or not; it's up to you. The AI will likely output ideas that spark new ideas. Our intent is to provide an unlimited source of quality inspiration.

Quote:
I guess, instead of Amadeus Code, I would prefer, and in fact purchase, Edoc Suedama - the opposite AI that could turn even MY self-indulgent noodling into polished songs.
There are many things on the roadmap but, being able to compose top line melodies on top of the users' original work is one of them. Perhaps you need a bit of inspiration for just the last 3 bars of your bridge or an entire 2nd verse; we would like to evolve Amadeus Code to be a collaborative tool for generating melody ideas.

Quote:
Though I do worry that some day it would ask me why, and I know that by that point it would already be too late to stop it.
I hope this post proves to you that we are very much human. I'll be the first to ask any of those questions for sure
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear
Looks like my reply got cut off. Posting the second half.

Quote:
But even still, I probably won't be trying this app, because I feel it's a deceptive business model (they say free but no)
I wish you would give it a try, because I feel like there's a gap in what you think the app does or can do. And I will clarify again; the app will continue to generate melodies, play all of the chord progressions in the app for free even after the trial. The only functionality behind the paywall is the save/export feature.

Quote:
because of ideological differences (It automates the funnest part of songwriting. I feel that the musical scratch pad is the most personal of stages, and Amadeus Code makes it one of the least)
This is definitely not our intention, and if you do ever give it a try, please let me know if it did.

I appreciate the conversation very much!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search