The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam Model 24: The Multi-Track Live Recording Console of the New Era
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
That's not very good advice, is it? Phantom power can damage certain ribbon mics, as well as some dynamic mics. The best policy is having it off really, unless you have an active mic that requires it.
It won’t damage any modern mic, and the number of vintage mics it will damage is tiny. The ribbon “issue” is totally overblown: most will be totally fine.

Yes, there’s no need to have it on unless you need it, but I stand by 999/1000.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
It won’t damage any modern mic, and the number of vintage mics it will damage is tiny. The ribbon “issue” is totally overblown: most will be totally fine.

Yes, there’s no need to have it on unless you need it, but I stand by 999/1000.
Hence why i said "certain" and "some". I don't know what the fellow has mic wise, better safe than sorry. That's really not good advice on principle alone.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Apple Macintosh computer? Really? Did they build this in the 1980s? LOL!
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hence why i said "certain" and "some". I don't know what the fellow has mic wise, better safe than sorry. That's really not good advice on principle alone.
What isn't good advice? Saying that in most cases, phantom isn't an issue? When it's not? I specifically stated that there's no advantage to having it on with mics that don't require it, but as with a lot of mixers and interfaces these days, if you need phantom for one mic, it has to go on for all channels anyway.

Plugging and unplugging mics connected through a TRS patch bay can be dangerous, but that's a patch bay/usage issue, not a mic issue. And it's a good practice to turn off phantom when connecting and disconnecting mics regardless (even if that often gets ignored).

In theory if a mic has been wired/rewired for *unbalanced* use, you could run into possible problems. But in most cases even that won't ruin a mic, since +48V would be flowing through the mic's transformer, not through the ribbon or voice coil.

It's simple: if you don't need phantom, don't bother turning it on, but if you need it, don't worry about it...unless you're trying to use your great uncle's mic from 1932, in which case it doesn't hurt to ask someone first.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Head

Hey, everyone...

I'm considering replacing my two focusrite Scarletts with this (or the Zoom equivalent) because I keep getting more synths and need more tracks! Plus I love the idea of recording without the DAW so I don't need to lug a computer to a gig, or I can just use it for my softsynths without also taxing it for recording.

I just have a few questions about the DAW aspect...

How's the software? Good latency? Easy to config?

Also, even though there isn't midi on this, is there a way to use this as a control interface on the DAW, so I can mix with real faders?

Thanks!
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
I just have a few questions about the DAW aspect...

How's the software? Good latency? Easy to config?

Also, even though there isn't midi on this, is there a way to use this as a control interface on the DAW, so I can mix with real faders?

Thanks!
I can’t speak much to latency, but the software is just a driver. Not much to configure, and the interface is just visible in your DAW.

It’s not a control interface.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I can’t speak much to latency, but the software is just a driver. Not much to configure, and the interface is just visible in your DAW.

It’s not a control interface.
Good to know. Have you tried recording with any effects on your daw? That's where you'd mostly see the latency.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Good to know. Have you tried recording with any effects on your daw? That's where you'd mostly see the latency.
No, I did a few quick experiments, but otherwise I mainly do live recording using the built-in recorder.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

If you need an interface, buy an interface. If you need a mixer, buy a mixer. If you need a mixer that records itself, buy that. There is just a lot to say for using things exactly what they were designed for.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have a newer akg mic that apparently needs the phantom power ro run. Would the phantom power possibly have any negative effects on vintage synths though? Or does it just apply to mics
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
I have a newer akg mic that apparently needs the phantom power ro run. Would the phantom power possibly have any negative effects on vintage synths though? Or does it just apply to mics
phantom will probably be on the XLR and not on the quarter inch line input.

I have never really heard of issues with synths, but maybe a pro EE person can reply.
Old 9th December 2019
Here for the gear

I've been looking into getting the 24 for a while. I keep hearing different things about where in the signal path the A/D conversion takes place. I've read that it happens before the EQ but Tascam just got back to me saying...

"Thank you for your mail.

Both the Compressor and EQUALISER ARE before the AD stage."

Can any users confirm this? Is this just for the stereo mix only and not individual outs? If so then that's a pretty cheeky response to my question from the sales team.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made By Pete View Post
I've been looking into getting the 24 for a while. I keep hearing different things about where in the signal path the A/D conversion takes place. I've read that it happens before the EQ but Tascam just got back to me saying...

"Thank you for your mail.

Both the Compressor and EQUALISER ARE before the AD stage."

Can any users confirm this? Is this just for the stereo mix only and not individual outs? If so then that's a pretty cheeky response to my question from the sales team.
Respond and tell them they should know better.

For each channel, the compressor is before the A/D, while the EQ is after the D/A. Compression gets recorded, EQ doesn't. Conversely, when playing back a recording, EQ affects the signal while compression doesn't.
Old 9th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Respond and tell them they should know better.

For each channel, the compressor is before the A/D, while the EQ is after the D/A. Compression gets recorded, EQ doesn't. Conversely, when playing back a recording, EQ affects the signal while compression doesn't.
Thanks. This is what I have read in most reviews. I can't believe they don't know their own product ?
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made By Pete View Post
Thanks. This is what I have read in most reviews. I can't believe they don't know their own product ?
It's also in the manual. Block diagram on page 160:

https://tascam.com/downloads/product...l-24_om_vc.pdf

The compressor is very clearly before the A/D (SEND), while the EQ is very clearly after the D/A (RETURN).
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear
Don't Buy!!! Doesn't Work as an Interface or a Standalone Recorder!!! Former loyal taSCAM customer.

I bought 2 of these for the sole purpose of multitrack recording onto SDXC cards in a professional recording studio setting. The sad truth is that the Model 24 crashes endlessly with the two different types of SDXC cards that I've attempted to record with so far (both of which were listed as compatible cards on Tascam's site)... Before anyone chimes in, please know that yes I formatted the cards (duh), and I also did the most recent firmware update (v:1.40) for both of these machines. Despite all of this they are still unstable when trying to use as standalone multitrack recorders!

25% of the time when hitting stop after recording, it will produce a disk write error. This causes all record / transport functionality to crash forcing the user to restart the machine completely! And this is 2 out of 2 machines that's doing this! Half of the time the recorded track is there, the other half it is not :o( This thing has "eaten" one too many good takes!!! How am I supposed to work with clients / artists if these machines reject 25% of their recorded takes!?!? It's negligible to even call these multitrack recorders!!

So despite the fact that this is happening I decided to keep the machines because they are also PC interfaces, and I can just use them as such, right? WRONG! My brand new studio computer (with windows 7) absolutely refuses to install the model 24, as I keep getting "not digitally signed errors" with tascam's drivers, and a whole host of compatibility issues! Must be my computer right? Nope, because I just installed my focusrite interface just fine, and on the very first try! I have literally tried installing the model 24 at least 100 different ways (over a 3 day period, and under the instruction of tascam phone support) and nothing has worked!

Speaking of phone support, when I tried calling taSCAM to get support over the phone, the guy was talking to me like I was stupid, even though he was the one that sounded out of it / sedated. Also he seemed really irritable like he was trying to get rid of me as quickly as possible even though I was remaining calm and not irate / angry. None of his advice worked, and I'm still unable to get these working on my studio computer. For the record: this is the very first time in 15 YEARS that I haven't been able to install any sort of interface / audio device / midi device onto my computer!!! I've been an audio engineer and a computer wiz for almost 30 years, so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing!

So after a long email to Tascam explaining in detail exactly what's going wrong, I get this message back from them that makes my head explode! Basically I was told that they will take one of the 2 machines that I have, try to install it on one of their windows 7 computers, and if it works, that's it!!!! No further help / assistance / options beyond that. That's at least what I was able to glean from the support guy's incoherently worded email. What about the SDXC issue? We're just going to completely ignore that now??? I'm basically stuck with $1800 worth of mixer shaped paper weights!?!?! I really hope that's not what you're trying to say!

I have been a loyal Tascam customer for almost 30 years! If you're looking to ensure that I never buy a TEAC / Tascam product again then you are certainly well on your way guys!!!! Make this right or I will burn your house down for selling me $1800 worth of paper weights!!!!

=== The following is an ongoing correspondence between me and a rep from TEAC about my issue. Can you spot the problem in the rep's approach in trying to fix the customer's issue? ===

To: [email protected]
Subject: Still Can't Get Both Model 24's Installed on My Studio Computer.

The case of the $1800 paper weights....

I still can't get either one of the two Model 24s installed on my studio computer even after your suggestions over the phone. I even tried installing a 3rd interface (focusrite 2 channel) just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my studio computer. Needless to say that it was successful on the first try with my DAW being able to recognize, and use it as an audio device. I even listened on the monitors to make absolutely sure of playback. If only the Model 24s would work like this on the first installation attempt....

The first thing I'm noticing is that windows keeps pausing the installation every time saying that the "driver is not digitally signed". Could this be something that's allowing windows to interfere with the driver functioning / installing properly? Another thing I noticed is that the actual installation failure with the error message (see attachment) would always happen right when windows device manager was switching to the task of installing the device driver, just after downloading it. Why would windows need to search online for the driver if I've already installed it from your site (ver 1.10)?

I've installed thousands of audio / midi / music devices with ease over the last 15 years, and never have I had so much trouble getting something to work. I just checked, and the model 24 still works here on the office computer. As far as I know, I did everything the same when trying to install it on the studio computer. Also for your reference: all three usb cables work in the office with the model 24 so that's not the issue.

So to sum up: I'm having 2 out of 2 Model 24 mixers producing disk write errors (with forced shut downs) when trying to record single tracks to SDXC cards (Two different cards both of which were suggested by your website as being compatible / see below). Now I'm having 2 out of 2 Model 24 mixers that refuse to install onto my studio computer running windows 7 (despite the fact I was able to successfully install and use my focusrite interface on the same computer). I've tried a million different ways to install these units, and at this point I'm completely out of ideas, and just tired of it all. I can't believe that I haven't picked back up smoking through this whole ordeal, as I've been struggling with this installation for days!

Have you ever thought about making these things class compliant where there's no need for driver / software installation in a separate pass? This would force people into taking the right steps and remove most of the margin of error. Also, maybe you should work on converting your driver into one that is digitally signed in case windows is intervening. Like I said, I may have gotten this thing to work on my office computer, but not without a significant effort, and multiple tries. Even at that level it puts these units up there with the more difficult things to install and run on a windows system (in comparison with other audio / midi / music related devices that I've used in the past).

Even if we were to only get the one issue of SDXC disk write errors ironed out, I would still have the problem of not being able to move the data off the devices and onto my studio computer after the fact (for DAW mixing etc). I've never been able to get windows to read large volume SDXC cards without needing to use a 3rd party device in "storage mode" (like how the model 24 does). That would bring us back to needing to correctly install these which..... Yeah.... You know.... Because of the fact that the focusrite did well on the same computer, and the fact that windows brings up the "not digitally signed" red tape when trying to install your device, I'm gonna say that the problem is on your end. It's an absolute shock that no one else has complained about compatibility problems with Windows 7 yet.

I don't know what else to do.... All I can do from here is give you everything that I can so that you can help me fix what is wrong. I would like to suggest that you re-test The Model 24, in particular with recording single tracks at a time, and punching in a lot onto SDXC. Really use them like they're your own recorders to uncover those errors, because believe me they are there. In my opinion it seems like the testing was quite rushed if we're seeing the same error across multiple units. I will be eagerly awaiting another firmware / software / driver update which you will hopefully work on to fix this nightmare.

SDHC / SDXC cards that are producing the write errors:
1.Transcend TS32GSDC300S-E 32GB UHS-I U1
2. SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-128G-GN4IN (This is the model that amazon redirects to when searching for the model with the same make and specs from your list.) (This is also the same model of card that Amazon recommends to use with the Model 24.)

Attached is the error message that I keep getting which prevents me from running these on my studio computer.

To: BrandonP1ster
Subject: Re:Still Can't Get Both Model 24's Installed on My Studio Computer.

Please email back your street address and we'll issue a call tag for one of the units for testing. On our Windows 7 computer. If we have no issues installing and being able you use as an audio interface the issue will with your computers.

Regards
Brian
Tascam support

Subject: Re: Still Can't Get Both Model 24's Installed on My Studio Computer.

Really? Just like that you're gonna stick me with these $1800 paper weights if it installs correctly on your computers? No other offers to make things right? No further investigation? No attempt to make your product more universally compatible? Are you serious???

I'll give you my address to do this, but already I don't like how this sounds. I hope you know all of these communications will be made public through amazon reviews, youtube, facebook, BBB, pissed customer, etc, because companies that sell faulty products should be held accountable. Did you even read my last message in it's entirety? It covers everything I've been through in great detail, and it may shed some light on what's going on.

My address is:
=OMITTED=

Subject: Re: Still Can't Get Both Model 24's Installed on My Studio Computer.

Hold the phone, I'm not sending this to you, until you agree to also test the SDXC multitrack recording side of things as well. I paid for that feature as well, and I don't think it's fair for you to just ignore that whole side of things. That's actually one of the main reasons I bought the machines and I think it really sucks that both of them produce disk write errors (2 out of 2 machines) completely losing takes. So I need you to agree to also test the SDXC record functionality, one track at a time, and with punch ins. If you do not agree to this, I will not send it to you. You need to see that it really does produce disk write errors, and that I'm not making this up.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwazNarph View Post
Don't Buy!!! Doesn't Work as an Interface or a Standalone Recorder!!! Former loyal taSCAM customer.
Sorry to hear of all of your issues. I've had no issues with mine, and I know I'm not the only one.

I'm using a SanDisk SDSDXV5-128G-GNCIN SDXC card. It looks like that's actually rated a bit lower than the cards you're using, 150 MB/s vs 170 MB/s.

It's been a while since I installed the driver, but I don't recall any issues doing so. I installed on Windows 10; not sure if there's a difference with Windows 7 or not. If you have a Windows 10 computer I'd suggest trying to install it there even if you don't have a DAW installed, just to see if the driver will install.

The only other thing I have to add is I believe I'm still running the same firmware that came with it when I got it in April, which I *think* is 1.30, although I'd have to check to be sure. I'd be surprised if newer versions cause issues, but it's a possibility.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Guru
I'm so glad I got a MixPre.......Sounds like a nightmare and Tascam service seems to be problematic.......Hope it works out......
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwazNarph View Post

I bought 2 of these for the sole purpose of multitrack recording onto SDXC cards in a professional recording studio setting. The sad truth is that the Model 24 crashes endlessly with the two different types of SDXC cards that I've attempted to record with so far (both of which were listed as compatible cards on Tascam's site)... Before anyone chimes in, please know that yes I formatted the cards (duh), and I also did the most recent firmware update (v:1.40) for both of these machines. Despite all of this they are still unstable when trying to use as standalone multitrack recorders!
Sounds like a nightmare, but it do they advertise it's compatible with a Win 7 computer? Windows ended mainstream support for this, almost 5 years ago. That's a long time in OS years. I wouldn't expect a new piece of gear in 2019 to run as smoothly on that.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like a nightmare, but it do they advertise it's compatible with a Win 7 computer? Windows ended mainstream support for this, almost 5 years ago. That's a long time in OS years. I wouldn't expect a new piece of gear in 2019 to run as smoothly on that.
This is what's in the latest manual:

Windows

Supported operating systems
Windows 10 32-bit
Windows 10 64-bit
Windows 8.1 32-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit SP1 or later
Windows 7 64-bit SP1 or later
(Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP are not supported)

Computer hardware requirements
Windows computer with a USB 2.0 port

CPU/processor speed
2 GHz or faster dual core processor (x86)

Memory
2 GB or more

ATTENTION
Operation of this unit was confirmed using standard com-puters that meet the above requirements. This does not guarantee operation with all computers that meet the above requirements. Even computers that meet the same system requirements might have processing capabilities that differ according to their settings and other operating conditions.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I'm so glad I got a MixPre.......Sounds like a nightmare and Tascam service seems to be problematic.......Hope it works out......
Anyone with $850 to burn... I'm saying buy a Mix Pre 6 II right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I had the model 24, had no issues with it as a unit, everything worked as advertised but I was only using it as a stand alone unit to record mobile and transfer to computer because I have RME interface. I'd say for synths it's probably perfect but for any string type instruments, acoustic, cello, it was not transparent at all.
Once I compared it to the RME, I sent it back and bought a mixpre-6m. I'm super happy with that. Sounds fantastic and is super easy to use/carry around.

I think it's would be fine if that's all you had, just saying you get what you pay for and now with the mixpre II, the m-series can be had pretty reasonable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
+1 for MixPre 6M here...... Conversion and pres are very good!..... Try the Wingman and control surfaces for even better console emulation functionality. I would have taken a closer look at the Tascam but couldn't get a clear read on those.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search