The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam Model 24: The Multi-Track Live Recording Console of the New Era
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I got one of these a couple days ago. The routing is a bit different from the Mackie I’m used to, but it didn’t take long to figure out. I also did some quick tests both with the built in recorder and to a Windows laptop with an old version of Audition. I’ll need to experiment and familiarize myself with the finer details, but for the most part that was also all straightforward.

One question: has anyone used the Bluetooth much? I was playing my iPhone through it a few times, and it seemed quite flaky. It wasn’t clear if the signal was poor or something else, but at one point I was only a few feet away and it was cutting out seemingly randomly. It shipped with (I believe) the 1.00 firmware, and I updated to 1.31, which didn’t seem to help the Bluetooth.
Old 5th May 2019
Here for the gear

I hope someone can help out here.... so to the daw it doesn't record postfader like all those desks unfortunately, but does it record all the fader movement, mutes and equing to the sd card? and if so - if I export the single WAV files, are they raw again or not? thx for your help
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnckd View Post
I hope someone can help out here.... so to the daw it doesn't record postfader like all those desks unfortunately, but does it record all the fader movement, mutes and equing to the sd card? and if so - if I export the single WAV files, are they raw again or not? thx for your help
The files are raw. The only exception is tracks 23/24, which record the master mix.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Addict
Only other think it records is the gains and compressors.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawa View Post
Only other think it records is the gains and compressors.
Correct. Gain, high pass, and compressor.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
Correct. Gain, high pass, and compressor.
Thats right forgot about high pass !
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Since there’s no BNC jack for a light, does anyone have a good alternative?
Old 7th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthehare View Post
How has the mixer been since you had it? Curious to hear your impressions, and whether you've been able to play with the routing + external effects through aux1/2 and sub output.
Still digging it. Currently I have some fx pedals routed via mon1/2 and returning to 13/14 and 15/16 respectively. I’m using the sub output to bounce to a cassette deck then back in to 19/20. The only onboard fx I think worth anything are the chorus and flanger but even still, just ok. The eq’s are better than I was expecting but still pretty basic. Basically this thing is doing exactly what I bought it for and I’m happy with it.

I haven’t had any issues with the Bluetooth though, syncs up and plays fine.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Guru

Any other current users?

I'm seriously thinking about picking one of these up next month.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me, and none of the "limitations" seem that pressing for my specific usage.

If I need to get fancy I've got plenty of other ways to do it. I'm primarily looking at this as sort of a mobile all in one rig. Really interested in SD recording, with computer being optional.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Any other current users?

I'm seriously thinking about picking one of these up next month.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me, and none of the "limitations" seem that pressing for my specific usage.

If I need to get fancy I've got plenty of other ways to do it. I'm primarily looking at this as sort of a mobile all in one rig. Really interested in SD recording, with computer being optional.
I haven't done a show with it yet, but I've been playing around with it a bit. My minor quibbles with it:

1) No BNC jack for a light.
2) No way (that I'm aware of, anyway) to automatically advance to the next song when recording. I.e., some sort of "live" setting for capturing live shows, where you're never going to want to be doing overdubbing. Currently, between sets you have to manually create a new song or risk messing with what you've already recorded.
3) The most annoying thing for me is no way to monitor a mix separate from what is being sent to the Main output. Most of the time when I'm recording a show only certain things (vocals and DI'd instruments, mostly) are going through the PA, but I'm recording a lot more (mics on amps, drums, room mics). An AFL button on the Sub fader would have been really nice. Then you could route everything to the Sub for monitoring through headphones (and not send the sub to Main), and also route the channels you want in the PA to Main. Of course you can PFL each channel, but that's not quite the same. I guess you could send the Sub output to something else to drive headphones, but it would be a lot easier to avoid that step.

That said, those are minor quibbles.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

FYI for anyone else pondering this, I managed a couple of workarounds today:

Quote:
3) The most annoying thing for me is no way to monitor a mix separate from what is being sent to the Main output. Most of the time when I'm recording a show only certain things (vocals and DI'd instruments, mostly) are going through the PA, but I'm recording a lot more (mics on amps, drums, room mics). An AFL button on the Sub fader would have been really nice. Then you could route everything to the Sub for monitoring through headphones (and not send the sub to Main), and also route the channels you want in the PA to Main. Of course you can PFL each channel, but that's not quite the same. I guess you could send the Sub output to something else to drive headphones, but it would be a lot easier to avoid that step.
1) It may vary from one model of headphones to another, but I found that the Sub outputs were powerful enough to drive my headphones directly. Not ideal having to physically plug and unplug headphones depending on what you want to monitor, but possible.

2) If you have a stereo input to spare, the Sub output can be patched into a stereo input, and PFL activated on that channel for monitoring. You just have to make sure to *not* route that channel to Main or (especially) Sub.

An AFL button on the Sub buss would have been ideal, but the above options at least work.
Old 17th May 2019
Googled for info and downloaded the manual but couldn't find it in it.

Anybody knowing, when recording multi tracks to SD-card, can those tracks somehow be sent back to the mixers channels for a finale mix down WITHOUT using a computer?

I don't like computers!!!

Last edited by Springformband; 21st May 2019 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Fordi jeg kan
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springformband View Post
Googled for info and downloaded the manual but cannot find it.

Anybody knowing, when recording multi tracks to SD-card, can those tracks somehow be sent back to the mixers channels for a finale mix down WITHOUT using a computer?

I don't like computers ?
Yes. The Mode switch needs to be moved from LIVE to MTR for any tracks you want to play back from the card. Or PC if you wanted to play back from USB.

It's weird that the compressor knobs are below the Mode switches. Perhaps the original intention was to have the routing that way but a change was made after the physical layout was set?
Old 17th May 2019
Quote:
Yes. The Mode switch needs to be moved from LIVE to MTR for any tracks you want to play back from the card. Or PC if you wanted to play back from USB.

It's weird that the compressor knobs are below the Mode switches. Perhaps the original intention was to have the routing that way but a change was made after the physical layout was set?
Thank you.
Will take a look at it later...

Last edited by Springformband; 4th June 2019 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Fordi jeg kan
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
2) No way (that I'm aware of, anyway) to automatically advance to the next song when recording. I.e., some sort of "live" setting for capturing live shows, where you're never going to want to be doing overdubbing. Currently, between sets you have to manually create a new song or risk messing with what you've already recorded.
I just sent this to TASCAM regarding possible firmware updates:

"2) It would be helpful if a future firmware update could allow for the setting of a default sample rate and bit depth. When creating a new song after the power has been off, the Model 24 always reverts back to 44.1/16, meaning one has to remember to select something else when creating a new song.

3) It would also be helpful if some sort of "live recording" mode was created. When recording was engaged, the Model 24 would automatically create a new song, instead of recording at the current point in the current song. Currently, if a set is recorded, then auditioned at set break, it is easy to overwrite some or all of that recording when recording the next set by forgetting to create a new song before hitting record."
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and/or can check theirs:

While doing some setup I noticed a slight hum in the stage monitor. Not terrible but noticeable. I started tracing things and noticed it could be heard when doing an AFL on the MON 1 channel. Except, all inputs were muted. I proceeded to disconnect everything from the Model 24 other than power, in addition to unplugging the other devices plugged into the power strip, but the hum remained. The same hum is present on MON 2. The level of hum depends on the level of the MON faders.

I'm curious if mine is unique, or if there's a design issue causing some hum.

It's probably not loud enough to be an issue during a gig, but it was a little disconcerting noticing it.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

TASCAM got back to me. Looks like the hum issue is present on all units:

"I tested that with my unit here in the office and there is a slight hum when the Mon faders are turned all the way up and listening through the Monitor outputs or the phones output with the AFL turned on for those faders. The hum isn't heard over the signal once some is sent from the channels but I do hear it when there is no signal and the Mon faders are turned all the way up.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your specific Model 24."
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm seriously considering getting one as well as it ticks all the boxes on my list. Plenty of inputs, nice multitrack recording capabilities, etc. Perfect as well to be able to have all 22 inputs going to my DAW (Ableton Live 10).

I'm just curious about how it performs as a main interface when dealing with VSTs and multiple plugins? What kind of latency are people getting?

I'm mainly hardware these days but still do a lot of in the box production so I need something versatile enough and delivering good performance on both fronts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted ee61a28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienableTone View Post
I'm seriously considering getting one as well as it ticks all the boxes on my list. Plenty of inputs, nice multitrack recording capabilities, etc. Perfect as well to be able to have all 22 inputs going to my DAW (Ableton Live 10).

I'm just curious about how it performs as a main interface when dealing with VSTs and multiple plugins? What kind of latency are people getting?

I'm mainly hardware these days but still do a lot of in the box production so I need something versatile enough and delivering good performance on both fronts.

I don't think the latency will be from the tascam model 24, you will just be playing through it. The latency will be from your host software and plugins.

I have the model 24 and a UFX II - I use them both for various things.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

the latency will be from the Tascam driver software, and it's an interesting/relevant question for anyone trying to use this as an audio interface with in the box instruments/software sound sources

which is I guess not really what the Model 24 is designed for. Tascam is also not know for writing great driver software.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have suggestions for road cases for the Model 24?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
the latency will be from the Tascam driver software, and it's an interesting/relevant question for anyone trying to use this as an audio interface with in the box instruments/software sound sources

which is I guess not really what the Model 24 is designed for. Tascam is also not know for writing great driver software.
Good point... I actually did a bit more research and I think I'm going to couple the Model 24 with a Presonus Quantum 2 interface. I need something rock solid when it comes to latency and I hear the Quantum's drivers are excellent even for Windows 10. Then I'll use the Model 24's stereo sub out to send to the interface if I need to add hardware to a VST-led project. And if I need to multitrack all my hardware at once, I'll just record to the SD card and export to my DAW afterwards.

Few more steps in the workflow but I actually like the old-school approach a lot!
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted ee61a28
I have an RME UFX II - It sits in my studio and I record everything into it.
The Tascam model 24 I take out to record things I need mobile and to use in better acoustic spaces for acoustic guitars, drums, etc ...
I upload those tracks into daw, edit, mix, apply plugins ... then send it out through the model 24 via usb, eq and level mix with a zulu inserted at FX and back
into reaper as a two track. I then apply brainworx bx_console N, E254 and bx_masterdesk and render.

I'm happy with this workflow and feel the model 24 warms things up like the zulu which is what I want. I'm also doing mostly live instruments.
I use midi sometimes as a playback to reamp which the RME handles no problem.

I don't see using the model 24 as a standalone interface in this regard. it's usefullness is it's mobility and analog style mixing. For tracking it has enough to compete with the rme ufx ii, it's warmer but musical which I like on live instruments.

I debated about this and the mixpre-6 but in the end choose the Tascam because of the sound sculpting while tracking which is important to me on live instruments rather then trying to fix it with plugins back at the studio.

I like the organic feel and try to capture and enhance rather than control when recording which is why I said I didn't think latency would be such an issue because I see the Model 24 as an addition to the daw studio.

I guess it has to do with how you like to work. I have no noise issues with my model 24 so far but I don't crank things too hot.
The flexibility is what works for me.

I run my UFX II at 24/48
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienableTone View Post
Good point... I actually did a bit more research and I think I'm going to couple the Model 24 with a Presonus Quantum 2 interface. I need something rock solid when it comes to latency and I hear the Quantum's drivers are excellent even for Windows 10. Then I'll use the Model 24's stereo sub out to send to the interface if I need to add hardware to a VST-led project. And if I need to multitrack all my hardware at once, I'll just record to the SD card and export to my DAW afterwards.

Few more steps in the workflow but I actually like the old-school approach a lot!
I use a Quantum! I love it. Highly recommended, I am also on Windows 10.

RME sounds like a great idea too.

I like the idea of using the Model 24 along with a high quality interface, seems like that would open up a ton of options for workflow like you people are talking about.

There is a mixer on my desk already. Now I'm sort of asking the question of "Why couldn't it be a Model 24?" Something to think about anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
There is a mixer on my desk already. Now I'm sort of asking the question of "Why couldn't it be a Model 24?" Something to think about anyway.
Haha, I hear you. I currently use a Roland MX-1 as my mixer AND interface. It used to work at first as I used mainly AIRA and boutique gear, which I don't anymore. I'm running out of inputs and starting to feel the limitations of the interface aspect of it too... So time for a change!

I like the idea of using an analog mixer in my workflow. I'll keep using Ableton to refine my mixdowns and use my VSTs, but being able to record my hardware without a computer is a huge plus for me! This mixer seems to be super flexible in how you can route to and from a DAW, and for the money I don't see any direct competition.

I was also looking at the Zoom L-20 which looks pretty decent too, but I need as many inputs as I can get for this price. And the Signature 22 MTK isn't a recorder so no good too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search