The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam Model 24: The Multi-Track Live Recording Console of the New Era
Old 10th February 2019
  #121
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
Yup, just need set the USB track you are recording from in your DAW to the same channel strip your signal is coming into.

Not bad at all.

Can you also use it as a live mixer while recording that way ?

Lets say ...
You use 12 tracks live, and you record those to your DAW in real time ?

And is it pre/post EQ ?


(Yes, I know I could have check the manual,
but I know I will get the best answers in here ... )



Old 10th February 2019
  #122
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Not bad at all.

Can you also use it as a live mixer while recording that way ?
Yup, I was doing that today, playing some stuff back from my DAW and also playing guitar through input 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Lets say ...
You use 12 tracks live, and you record those to your DAW in real time ?

And is it pre/post EQ ?


(Yes, I know I could have check the manual,
but I know I will get the best answers in here ... )

Hehe, the manual is not very good so it's good to ask. I think you can only record 8 tracks at once, but I haven't tried that. I just record one thing at a time.

As for EQ, I believe USB skips the top parts of the channel strip when playing back (low cut, gain, and compressor) but does go through the rest of the strip.
I'm not sure about when recording into the DAW, I'd have to try that out to verify.

I have been eq'ing stuff playing back from my DAW and you can do a full mix on the board out of the box. I'm finding the eq's to be pretty responsive too. The knobs feel a little flimsy/thin, but they work fine.
Old 11th February 2019
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
Yup, I was doing that today, playing some stuff back from my DAW and also playing guitar through input 1.



Hehe, the manual is not very good so it's good to ask. I think you can only record 8 tracks at once, but I haven't tried that. I just record one thing at a time.

As for EQ, I believe USB skips the top parts of the channel strip when playing back (low cut, gain, and compressor) but does go through the rest of the strip.
I'm not sure about when recording into the DAW, I'd have to try that out to verify.

I have been eq'ing stuff playing back from my DAW and you can do a full mix on the board out of the box. I'm finding the eq's to be pretty responsive too. The knobs feel a little flimsy/thin, but they work fine.

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.
You have certainly triggered my interest.

I have an AVID C|24 ned like to get rid of.
Its kind of overkill for me.

The TASCAM would be very convenient.
I used to work on the old 4 track with cassettes back in the days ...




Old 11th February 2019
  #124
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.
You have certainly triggered my interest.

I have an AVID C|24 ned like to get rid of.
Its kind of overkill for me.

The TASCAM would be very convenient.
I used to work on the old 4 track with cassettes back in the days ...


No problem. I did a lot of research before getting this to ensure it could do all I need it to do (only thing it doesn't do that I wanted is any kind of DAW control, but no device seemed to do everything I wanted).

I still use a 424 mkii and, I agree, the model 24 feels a bit like using that. Even the little rocker switch to go between Line/USB/MTR is a lot like the line/off/tape switch.
Old 11th February 2019
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
No problem. I did a lot of research before getting this to ensure it could do all I need it to do (only thing it doesn't do that I wanted is any kind of DAW control, but no device seemed to do everything I wanted).

I still use a 424 mkii and, I agree, the model 24 feels a bit like using that. Even the little rocker switch to go between Line/USB/MTR is a lot like the line/off/tape switch.

Yes, I see the point about DAW control, but that is actually no issue for me.
I got a Raven MKI that works great with Pro Tools.


So yes, ... I just order the Tascam 24 with a Gator case for it

I guess talking to you kind of pushed me over the edge

But honestly, after checking around and reading about it, I am sure this is the way for me to go now.
And I am really looking forward to it.



Last edited by Gemylon; 11th February 2019 at 11:39 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
  #126
Here for the gear
 

Faders function

Alright so I’m new to consoles, and this may be a simple *dumb* question. But why are my faders not able to control my volume levels? They only seem to control whatever FX sends and either make the effect set more prominent or less. Currently I don’t have my main output connected as I’m using headphones for the time being recording on my own, but this is starting to bug me not being able to mix sound levels with faders and only being able to use my two output knobs above the FX send. If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated oh and also the the pan knobs are another puzzle to me!
Old 20th February 2019
  #127
Gear Head
 

I'd love to see a model 12...
Old 20th February 2019
  #128
Lives for gear
 
retractablezing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingStates View Post
I'd love to see a model 12...
Me too, but not with only 6 mono tracks, which is what i bet they'd do. Removing the preamps (or adding inserts on every channel), the built-in fx and the "live" graphic eq section would be a major plus for me as well and go a long way into making this much more affordable and a more suitable product to today's target, since outboard is getting better and cheaper by the day. The days where siabs had to have everything are long gone.
Old 6th March 2019
  #129
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
So I've become interested in getting one of these.
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the lack of channels, but all in all it looks.. really nice

My question is this:
In the event that I needed to record 40 tracks, It would be possible to dump the first 24 into PT then record more, rinse and repeat.. correct?
Furthermore, would it be possible to mix in sections from PT back onto the unit? Forgive me, but my experience in PT is limited to tracking at my mentors house. If I had more than 24 tracks to mix, would I be unable to mix down that song on the model 24? Or would I have to bounce down some tracks then approach my mix when I had it down to 24 tracks?

Thanks guys
Old 6th March 2019
  #130
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
So I've become interested in getting one of these.
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the lack of channels, but all in all it looks.. really nice

My question is this:
In the event that I needed to record 40 tracks, It would be possible to dump the first 24 into PT then record more, rinse and repeat.. correct?
Furthermore, would it be possible to mix in sections from PT back onto the unit? Forgive me, but my experience in PT is limited to tracking at my mentors house. If I had more than 24 tracks to mix, would I be unable to mix down that song on the model 24? Or would I have to bounce down some tracks then approach my mix when I had it down to 24 tracks?

Thanks guys
Having come from a Tascam 424 mkii, the 24 tracks is a lot for me, but I can see at some point wanting even more.

You should be able to do your first question, I haven't needed to do that yet. But 'bouncing' from the on board recorder (MTR) to your DAW should be straightforward, either by track, or the entire mix to one track.

I have done the 2nd thing, I am able to mix tracks from Reaper (my DAW) along w/ the MTR tracks or without. And, surprisingly, you can record direct to the MTR from your DAW over USB. So now I can use both my rack gear and VSTs for onboard recording.

One feature it has which I didn't think I'd end up using since this is in my studio, not doing live mixing was Bluetooth. I was trying to learn a guitar solo and didn't feel like dealing with the computer to playback an mp3. I just piped it through the Bluetooth track and played along with it.

Only thing I have found so far I don't like about the unit is a very small niggle. To use the onboard effects, you can't have anything plugged into the outgoing FX jack. This makes total sense, but I use patchbays, so having to unplug is necessary. Not a big deal at all since I don't see me using the on board effects that much.
Old 6th March 2019
  #131
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
Having come from a Tascam 424 mkii, the 24 tracks is a lot for me, but I can see at some point wanting even more.

You should be able to do your first question, I haven't needed to do that yet. But 'bouncing' from the on board recorder (MTR) to your DAW should be straightforward, either by track, or the entire mix to one track.

I have done the 2nd thing, I am able to mix tracks from Reaper (my DAW) along w/ the MTR tracks or without. And, surprisingly, you can record direct to the MTR from your DAW over USB. So now I can use both my rack gear and VSTs for onboard recording.

One feature it has which I didn't think I'd end up using since this is in my studio, not doing live mixing was Bluetooth. I was trying to learn a guitar solo and didn't feel like dealing with the computer to playback an mp3. I just piped it through the Bluetooth track and played along with it.

Only thing I have found so far I don't like about the unit is a very small niggle. To use the onboard effects, you can't have anything plugged into the outgoing FX jack. This makes total sense, but I use patchbays, so having to unplug is necessary. Not a big deal at all since I don't see me using the on board effects that much.
So it is possible to patch in an entire rack of outboard compressors, right?

Thanks for your quick response btw. This board is really shaping up to be something I could consider purchasing
Old 6th March 2019
  #132
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
So it is possible to patch in an entire rack of outboard compressors, right?

Thanks for your quick response btw. This board is really shaping up to be something I could consider purchasing
I don't think so, there are only inserts on tracks 1 and 2. I'm hoping they add support for moving tracks around on the MTR. So I could just keep using track 1 for tracking.

I do a lot of sends via the FX out, and print it back in from my rack on a separate track.
Old 7th March 2019
  #133
Lives for gear
 
retractablezing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
I don't think so, there are only inserts on tracks 1 and 2.
That was always Tascam's problem with the cassette portastudios, i even went as far as adding inserts to all the channels on my 414mk2. It's such a basic and needed feature, it's hard for me to wrap my around them repeating the same exact mistakes on this new concept, the same errors they've been making since the 144. I mean, it's really promising, but there's so much there that's simply not needed or even redundant given what most people own these days in terms of outboard, and a few bits missing that are borderline essential and would turn this into a much more serious piece of gear.
Old 8th March 2019
  #134
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Honestly, just how much warmth does this thing add to your recordings?
Old 8th March 2019
  #135
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Honestly, just how much warmth does this thing add to your recordings?
I haven't noticed much warmth but to be honest I haven't done any comparisons. The EQ is very responsive and there is a ton of headroom with no digital clipping.

I was hoping overdriving the inputs would have an effect like my 424, but it just handles it without any distortion. I'll have to resort to my Distortastudio for that.
Old 8th March 2019
  #136
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
I haven't noticed much warmth but to be honest I haven't done any comparisons. The EQ is very responsive and there is a ton of headroom with no digital clipping.

I was hoping overdriving the inputs would have an effect like my 424, but it just handles it without any distortion. I'll have to resort to my Distortastudio for that.
Thanks so much for your help my man. I think I'm gonna continue searching for the perfect fit for my studio. This thing is definitely cool.. but I'll most likely go with the analogue front end/converter route. Tough when all the consoles that really look nice to me are over $18000

If this thing had 8 more lines in, 2 more inserts, and a legitimate compressor section for each channel, I most likely would've gave in. But I want something that I will be happy with for years to come and I could easily see myself wanting more within that time. 5-10 more years and I think they'll build something upon this concept that really hits home.

Time to go drool all over pictures of meter bridges

Good luck to you in all that you do brother
Old 14th March 2019
  #137
Anyone check the RTL on this? Using it as an interface?

If it has decent latency as an audio interface then it's a winner.

Probablem is Tascam has terribly written drivers:/
Old 16th March 2019
  #138
Gear Addict
 

How to get sound from monitors during playback?

So my tascam 24 just came in and I'm trying to figure this thing out. I've got all my synths hooked up to it and when I play them I hear sound coming out the monitors but during playback I can't hear anything. I'm obviously missing something but can't seem to figure out what it is so if someone could help guide me I'd appreciate it thank you so much!
Old 19th March 2019
  #139
Gear Nut
Flip the channel switches to MTR.
Old 19th March 2019
  #140
Gear Nut
Since this is a hybrid digital analog mixer, can someone explain where in the audio path I have to worry about digital clipping and where I can drive it a bit while recording onto the sd card?

What’s the dotted horizontal line in the lcd display when showing input levels?

Thanks.
Old 19th March 2019
  #141
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Machine View Post
Flip the channel switches to MTR.
Oooooooooooh ok gotcha thanks man. I feel dumb
Old 19th March 2019
  #142
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
Oooooooooooh ok gotcha thanks man. I feel dumb
The mtr switch gets me all the time its a bit easy to accidentally switch jt while rewiring its not a hugh issue just I forgot to check it.
Old 21st March 2019
  #143
Deleted ee61a28
Guest
any model 24 users have previous experience with the Roland vs-2480 - can you chime in on the pros/cons?
Sound comparison? Preamp/Converter sound quality? Effects?
Old 22nd March 2019
  #144
Gear Head
 

Wondering if this is normal or not.

I'm routing a track (an SMPTE stripe track to use for syncing) out of Mon 1. However, the audio for that shows up faintly in the right channel on the Control Room mix. I wasn't expecting it to be there, but maybe that is normal?
Old 22nd March 2019
  #145
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglide View Post
any model 24 users have previous experience with the Roland vs-2480 - can you chime in on the pros/cons?
Sound comparison? Preamp/Converter sound quality? Effects?
I've never used the Roland (although I did entertain getting one instead of this Tascam). The effects on the Tascam are nothing to write home about, the plugin cards for the VS series would probably blow the onboard effects of the Model 24 away.

The preamps seem OK to me, but I can't compare not having tried the VS-2480.
Old 22nd March 2019
  #146
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
We have lived on a ROLAND VS system since 1996 -- nearly 20 years now on the 2480 ... that's all we know . Plenty of inputs --- we mainly use external effects digitally connected to the VS -- but do use the 56bit guitar plugins from ROLAND. Great self-contained DAW .. a workhorse .
Old 24th March 2019
  #147
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
the model 24 is only midrange sweepable correct? And then a 7 band graphic on the master bus>? I'm still considering one for a portable unit
Old 28th March 2019
  #148
Just ordered one this morning, looking forward to receiving it.

Will not use any of the pre's, as I'll only be recording synths and drum machines, but nice to have a bigger board
Old 31st March 2019
  #149
Here for the gear
 

Does anyone know how to get the Tascam Model 24 to play all the tracks back from a DAW on their original channels for mixdown on the model 24? It records to the DAW fine but playback is only on channels 1 and 2. I saw the NAMM video and the guy said you can mix down on the Model 24. I havent been able to do it and the manual is useless. I assigned in the ASIO driver in Reaper DAW but it only sends back to channels 1 and 2.

Last edited by FSBassman; 31st March 2019 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 2nd April 2019
  #150
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSBassman View Post
Does anyone know how to get the Tascam Model 24 to play all the tracks back from a DAW on their original channels for mixdown on the model 24? It records to the DAW fine but playback is only on channels 1 and 2. I saw the NAMM video and the guy said you can mix down on the Model 24. I havent been able to do it and the manual is useless. I assigned in the ASIO driver in Reaper DAW but it only sends back to channels 1 and 2.
You need to change each track in your DAW to one of the outputs of the model 24 and also switch those tracks to the USB side of their input switch.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump