The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DirtMic-01 Distortion Microphone by DrAlienSmith
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Nut

DirtMic-01 Phantom Powered Distortion Pedal in a Microphone

***from the 5th of September 2018 the DirtMic-01 ships with a mic clip included in the price***

Introducing the DirtMic-01, a new approach to overdriving and distorting sounds. It’s the ultimate character microphone, but instead of the usual lo-fi or vintage sound, we’ve created a monster by installing a distortion pedal circuit into an existing microphone, the Superlux D112.

The DirtMic circuit has been designed to run off 48v phantom power and it's transformer balanced so you just plug the microphone straight into any mixer or interface via the XLR connector. Its a simple solution with no need for extra pedals, DI boxes or guitar amps.

The DirtMic-01 proudly distorts and contorts everything you point it at. The amount of gain is controlled by the ‘pre-gain’ volume pot on the mic itself. Higher gain settings on the right of the dial work best in the recording studio for capturing uniquely dirty flavors from any source. Lower gain settings on the left of the dial can suit live vocal performance (although the PA quality and vocal style always play a big part in live distortion success).

The DirtMic-01 comes with with a protective mic pouch, a manual and its covered by a 12 month repair or replace guarantee.

Pre-orders for the mic are now up on our Reverb Store, $198 AUD plus postage with the mics shipping on the 22nd of August. After the pre-orders are finished, the RRP will be $220 AUD pp.

Dirtmic-01 Distortion Microphone by DrAlienSmith | Reverb

Last edited by DrAlienSmith; 5th September 2018 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: changed details
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Nut

Here's an introduction vid to the DirtMic-01

YouTube

And a soundcloud track using the DirtMic-01 on drums

DirtMic-01 Test on Drums by DrAlienSmith | Dr Alien Smith | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

I Love it! Perfect for sound design, and experimentation. I already have a few ideas for it!
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Hmm keys in parallel could be just the ticket!!
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Been following in instagram, cool idea and sounds good!
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Hmm keys in parallel could be just the ticket!!
Yeah its worked quite well next to clean mics and blending the two sounds together
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Due to a few limitations with Reverb and their 'bundles' not working for some people, I've had to add another listing which includes a stand mount as well.

So the normal DirtMic-01 without a stand mount is here for $198 AUD pp

And The Dirt Bundle, which is the DirtMic-01 plus a DirtMount-01 is here for $223 AUD pp.

Last edited by DrAlienSmith; 9th August 2018 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: better grammar
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Nut

DirtMic-01 Bass Amp Test with The Devil Rides Out by DrAlienSmith | Dr Alien Smith | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This is an audio test of the DirtMic-01 being used on a bass amp. I'm using the original 2013 mix session for the band The Devil Rides Out and the song is 'Ugly Creatures'.... thedevilridesout.bandcamp.com

I've taken a 12 second loop from the song and taken out all of the original mix bass tracks apart from the clean DI. I have then re-amped the DI and recorded the bass amp with a DirtMic-01 and a CAD M179 which is the clean mic (there's a picture of the amp/mic setup on the soundcloud page). The DI was then also removed from the mix. There are no distortion pedals involved and the DirtMic-01 track is completely dry, no eq, no compression. This loop plays through 11 times with different combinations of the instruments and the mics so you can hear how the DirtMic-01 works on a bass amp. This is what you'll hear....

00:00 Both mics on Bass Amp with Drums and Guitars
00:12 Bass only, DirtMic-01
00:24 Bass only, Clean mic
00:36 Bass only, both mics
00:48 Bass and Drums, DirtMic-01
01:00 Bass and Drums, Clean mic
01:13 Bass and Drums, both mics
01:25 Bass, Drums and Guitars, DirtMic-01
01:37 Bass, Drums and Guitars, Clean mic
01:49 Bass, Drums and Guitars, both mics
02:01 Same again but Guitars 2db louder

The bass amp used is a Fender Rumble 350 and the cab is an Ashdown 1x15. Both mics were plugged straight into the preamps on my M-Audio Profire 2626 interface.
Old 13th August 2018
I would like to get one of these for use with harmonicas. How easy/difficult is it to turn the knob to change the level of distortion?

My concern is that while holding the mic and harmonica, the knob may move and change distortion level without the player meaning to do so. Just because of natural handling.

Any thoughts, please?

This seems like a great idea.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
I would like to get one of these for use with harmonicas. How easy/difficult is it to turn the knob to change the level of distortion?

My concern is that while holding the mic and harmonica, the knob may move and change distortion level without the player meaning to do so. Just because of natural handling.

Any thoughts, please?

This seems like a great idea.
Yeah its something I've thought about. The pot itself isnt super loose so wouldnt move too easily but in a live situation anything can happen.

There is a company called Loknob and they make a cap for pots that locks into position. I havent tried one yet (I plan to order one to test) but this one should fit the DirtMic-01

http://http://loknob.com/loknobnew12silverforsplined6mmpotshaftswithm7thread.aspx

Last edited by DrAlienSmith; 13th August 2018 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Url wrong
Old 13th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAlienSmith View Post
Yeah its something I've thought about. The pot itself isnt super loose so wouldnt move too easily but in a live situation anything can happen.

There is a company called Loknob and they make a cap for pots that locks into position. I havent tried one yet (I plan to order one to test) but this one should fit the DirtMic-01

http://http://loknob.com/loknobnew12silverforsplined6mmpotshaftswithm7thread.aspx
Please let me know if that works out. Just from the link you kindly provided, it looks like it may remove my concerns completely.
Old 14th August 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

This is great!
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm begging for more sound examples, especially vocals! Not because of the purchase decision, but because I really enjoy the sound of the microphone.
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
I'm begging for more sound examples, especially vocals! Not because of the purchase decision, but because I really enjoy the sound of the microphone.
Haha, awesome mate. Are you on Instagram? I just posted a small clip there Al 'DrAlien' Smith on Instagram: “Thanks to @magic.chicken.fudgetoe for letting me and the DirtMic-01 crash their jam last weekend. Josh belted out a few songs thru the…”
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Sounds sick in a good way for this kind of style.
I'm interested to hear a singing vocal example in very low (discreet) level. Thanks!!
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

....to sound a little bit like Roger in...

YouTube

Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

I’m intrigued
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
....to sound a little bit like Roger in...

YouTube

Ok yeah, I know what you mean. The DirtMic-01 itself isnt that subtle sounding but I have done a recording where the singer used an SM7b and the DirtMic next to each other. In the mix I've used 70% SM7b, 30% DirtMic.

The album has just been picked up by a small label so I'll double check with the band to see if I can upload a song yet. I might have to wait for an official single release with that one.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The album has just been picked up by a small label so I'll double check with the band to see if I can upload a song yet.
That would be nice. Thank you!
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
Please let me know if that works out. Just from the link you kindly provided, it looks like it may remove my concerns completely.
I just got the Loknob today and unfortunately it won't fit. The pot shaft on the mic is too long. I could cut a little off the shaft but then the grub screw that you need to tighten the Loknob in place is sunk inside the recess of the mic body and you can't get to it. The work around would be to glue the cut shaft into the Loknob but that starts to get a bit messy.
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Nut

Second Pre-Order

The first pre-order of 10 mics has sold out and ship tomorrow. Thanks to those that have bought one, or two in some cases

I've added another short run of 5 mics to the pre-order which will ship on Monday September the 3rd. These 5 are the last to be priced at $198 AUD and after these sell, the price will return to $220 AUD.

Head to our Reverb Store to purchase or check the info.

Thanks!!
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Nut

The DirtMic-01 now ships with a mic clip included in the price. Its not quite as sturdy as the DirtMount-01 (which I had to sell separately because of the cost) but its still a good solution for the age old issue of attaching bullet mics to microphone stands.

The DirtMic-01 is $220 AUD which is approximately $158 US, £123 or €136 plus postage.
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Nut

Pair of DirtMic-01's

Reverb doesn't do combined postage very well so I've added a separate listing to buy a pair of DirtMic-01's.

A Pair Of Dirtmic-01 Distortion Microphones by DrAlienSmith | Reverb

This listing features cheaper postage and a $20 AUD discount for buying two mics

Old 27th September 2018
Gear Nut

Re-Amping Thrash Guitars with the DirtMic-01

I've uploaded a new DirtMic-01 sound test on Souncloud. This is a bit of a niche use but I've been working on a mix recently that needed some 'excitement' added to flat sounding heavy guitars. That started me down a wormhole of re-amping with the DirtMic-01 that had some interesting results. I can't use the recent mix as the songs haven't been released yet so for this sound test I've used an old session from 2017 to duplicate the results.

DirtMic-01 Guitar Re-Amping With Tartarus by DrAlienSmith | Dr Alien Smith | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The purpose of this test was not to replace the original guitar sound but to enhance it by adding some depth/excitement to the guitars with the DirtMic-01.

The original guitar sound was played live with the drums and bass through a Marshall MA100H head and a 1960 quad box, recorded with a Shure 545 microphone. I've edited in a second rhythm track from later in the song so there is a left and a right guitar part. The Re-Amp sound was recorded through a Pisdiyauwot distortion pedal into the clean channel of a Bugera 333xl-212 combo and mic'd up with the DirtMic-01 placed 46 cm, 18 inches, from the speaker (see the picture on the soundcloud page).

The loop is repeated 10 times with different variations of original and re-amped sound. This is what you'll hear...

00:00 Band and both guitar sounds on
00:19 Solo'd original guitars
00:39 Solo both guitar sounds together
00:59 Solo re-amped DirtMic-01
01:18 Band and original guitars
01:38 Band and both guitar sounds
01:58 Band and original guitars
02:18 Band and both guitar sounds
02:37 Band and original guitars 2db louder
02:57 Band and both sounds 2db louder
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Nut

I've uploaded the Drum test to Youtube for those that don't dig Soundcloud

This Is How The DirtMic-01 sounds on Drums
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut

First demo/review of the Dirtmic-01!
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sounds sick in a good way for this kind of style.
I'm interested to hear a singing vocal example in very low (discreet) level. Thanks!!
I finally got around to organizing a quieter vocal sample. This song has the singer using an SM7b and the DirtMic-01 at the same time and in the final mix the two sounds are blended but for this mp3, you hear the first line as sm7b only, then the second is the DirtMic-01 only and then they alternate from there. The DirtMic-01 is on a low gain setting.

Dropbox - Vocal Test DirtMic-01 2018-12-29.mp3

I hope that gives you an idea of what the DirtMic-01 sounds like on a non screaming singer
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Nut

Win one of 3 DirtMic-01 Distortion Microphones

We've teamed up with Lij Shaw and the Recording Studio Rockstars podcast to give away 3 DirtMic-01s through January 2019.

To enter, head to this link....

http://recordingstudiorockstars.com/giveaways/dirtmic/

Or check out this Youtube vid DirtMic-01 Giveaway with Lij Shaw

Good luck!
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I finally got around to organizing a quieter vocal sample.

Dropbox - Vocal Test DirtMic-01 2018-12-29.mp3

I hope that gives you an idea of what the DirtMic-01 sounds like on a non screaming singer
Thanks for the info...What a great song btw..
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info...What a great song btw..
Yeah, a great band. They are called the Rinehearts and this was taken from their new album due out very soon
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search