The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brainworx bx_masterdesk (UAD & Plugin Alliance)
Old 3rd August 2018
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

Brainworx bx_masterdesk (UAD & Plugin Alliance)

Release in a few days.
PUBLIC BETA OUT NOW via Plugin Alliance.

Info & Public Beta:
Brainworx bx_masterdesk - Plugin Alliance

Manual:
https://files.plugin-alliance.com/pr...esk_manual.pdf

This will be a dual-release for UAD & PA.

Enjoy.
Dirk.
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Maniac

So basically it is waves CLA mixdown right with a little bit more control?
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear
Dirk, you and your team are on a roll with your recent releases. Love the design; so easy on the eye. Looking forward to testing this. Congrats!
Old 3rd August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Dirk, you and your team are on a roll with your recent releases. Love the design; so easy on the eye. Looking forward to testing this. Congrats!
Thank you, and enjoy the testing!
Dirk.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Saturn View Post
No. CLA Mixdown is a mix plug. This is a mastering plug...
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Looking good

Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Addict

Its similar to IK Lurssen mastering console.
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Nut

I told myself no more plugins... But come the August Voucher email... and the intro price... I know I am going to be throwing that out the window... again
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Head

How are the meters? i kid
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Nut
THIS is KILLER. Tausend Dank lieber Dirk!
No comparison between this and IK LMC - IMHO.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicompression View Post
Surprised it has any... use your ears, right? (also kidding)

This is cool... don't know if I need or want it, but I'll follow along (nicely... well, I'll try).

Looks like a good addition to the line.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Subscribed
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Saturn View Post
No, Waves is a different company.

It was a really good question, though. Very good.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicompression View Post
LOL
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Using it today, wouldn't mind a tiny thing.

Thank you, Dirk.

Already using it on an acoustic mix.

Any chance of a tiny thing, an Auto Solo button for the Mono Maker and Stereo Enhance?

I like the Command [Mac] mouse click to toggle between two dial settings.

The addition of the De-Esser is a bit of a genius move IMO.

Regards
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFi View Post
THIS is KILLER. Tausend Dank lieber Dirk!
No comparison between this and IK LMC - IMHO.
Meaning you already compared LMC and this?
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

If IK would allow more control of the LMC modules it would really be a next level tool... that being said, it still is quite cool

THIS thing I’m excited about
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Addict

Another realse? Already testing this. At first glance i thought 'yeah probably pretty cool, im sure ill end up grabbing it'
then tried it out, for the first few minutes i thought it was 'quite good' then i started pushing it, and honestly, up against limitless and elevate you would be surprised how well this thing holds out for loudness. It does a really really good job at retaining punch at high levels.

One thing, it would be nice ot have some control over the resonance filters. great idea, seriously! but evey time i kick it in i find it just pulls out a bit too much.
The stereo enhancer on this thing is off the hook! Really love it!

To be honest, i could quite easily pick this up just to sit on my group busses - it takes up a lot less resources than a limitless/ozone/elevate/etc and has a ton of punch and flexibility - i could probably just use this instead of 4 or 5 plugins! What a great drum buss finalizer!? (I know its not meant for that but hey.

Seems brainworx has found the most precise way of extracting my money on a monthly basis.
All i need now is the rest of the amek channel!! (Hint) hehe
Man, my mixbuss is looking very different compared to a few weeks ago...what with the Townhouse Comp.

Since i have been using the SSL stuff, i have really simplified things. Im using way less plugs and just being way more efficient/having to make less moves to get things right. What a joy!
Cheers!
Old 4th August 2018

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Another realse? Already testing this. At first glance i thought 'yeah probably pretty cool, im sure ill end up grabbing it'
then tried it out, for the first few minutes i thought it was 'quite good' then i started pushing it, and honestly, up against limitless and elevate you would be surprised how well this thing holds out for loudness. It does a really really good job at retaining punch at high levels.

One thing, it would be nice ot have some control over the resonance filters. great idea, seriously! but evey time i kick it in i find it just pulls out a bit too much.
The stereo enhancer on this thing is off the hook! Really love it!

To be honest, i could quite easily pick this up just to sit on my group busses - it takes up a lot less resources than a limitless/ozone/elevate/etc and has a ton of punch and flexibility - i could probably just use this instead of 4 or 5 plugins! What a great drum buss finalizer!? (I know its not meant for that but hey.

Seems brainworx has found the most precise way of extracting my money on a monthly basis.
All i need now is the rest of the amek channel!! (Hint) hehe
Man, my mixbuss is looking very different compared to a few weeks ago...what with the Townhouse Comp.

Since i have been using the SSL stuff, i have really simplified things. Im using way less plugs and just being way more efficient/having to make less moves to get things right. What a joy!
Cheers!
Thank you! You're doing it EXACTLY how it's supposed to be done with this puppy. I loooove it on synth busses and drums!

Also, mixing all channels using a TMT console, into bx_townhouse, then into bx_masterdesk is a completely "analog feeling" chain to my ears, and I am happy to hear you share this vision.

Yes, this thing can go LOUD, but this is not even achieved through the limiter! The limiter itself only boosts 1 (one) dB, and in Turbo Mode it's 2dB. The secret sauce and star in this plugin is the modified analog modeled compressor.

Enjoy it, and thanks for this review.
Dirk.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
Thank you! You're doing it EXACTLY how it's supposed to be done with this puppy. I loooove it on synth busses and drums!

Also, mixing all channels using a TMT console, into bx_townhouse, then into bx_masterdesk is a completely "analog feeling" chain to my ears, and I am happy to hear you share this vision.

Yes, this thing can go LOUD, but this is not even achieved through the limiter! The limiter itself only boosts 1 (one) dB, and in Turbo Mode it's 2dB. The secret sauce and star in this plugin is the modified analog modeled compressor.

Enjoy it, and thanks for this review.
Dirk.
Exactly! Im using an SSL On every channel, then townhouse on the master and then the mastering unit. So simple and elegant.

Yeah i think the reaosn the sound holds together so well is precisely because it isnt limiting the hell out of it.
Im putting it up against the best limiters out there and im really surprised with the results.
is there no spectral compression / analog hybrid or anything like that under the hood? That was my first impression. Dont expect you to say anyway hehe.
Yeah i am gonna use this on drum buss and bass buss for sure. The resonance filter is working like a dream on bass buss.

If any of you find the resonance filter to take out a little bit too much for a particular track when situated on the mixbuss - try it on a bass buss or sub your kick and sub to a buss and do it there - AWESOME.

The other thing i love about this - along with townhouse it makes a great mixbuss that you can just throw on at the start of the process. If you are like me, you like mixing into your mixbuss chain. Many of my favourite limiters add a ton of latency and are brutal on the CPU. With this i can put it on and not only does it sound great right away, but it doesnt alter my flow or add loads of latency or hog the CPU.

Actually thats a good point - i cant wait to do a track start to finish with this on the mixbuss for the whole time, as i find when you mix into something you really get a feel for it and are able to push it just the right way.
Great stuff
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Gave this a really quick go just now.. it is, interesting. Being a tweaker by nature I'm really missing a lot of fine control for the compressor. For instance, it would be lovely to have a % control for the stereo linking of the compressor. Now it seems to be either off or fully linked. In 'off' mode it ruins the center stereo image of almost all my test material I have here at home, which forces me to use the fully linked mode which is something I don't usually do (I much prefer unlinked compression).

As a "one stop mastering" thing it fails in the same way the IK Multimedia Lurssen thing does.. it's pretty much impossible to go anti-glue. For the past 5 or 6 years I rarely have the problem with clients having too little glue. Usually the exact opposite is the most common problem. Everybody and their uncle has a whole bunch of bus compressors around (either plugins, hardware or both) so mixes end up being super-glued. What seems to impress most clients and open up tracks so that they "sound professional" is achieved by psychoacoustically adding more punch or "weight" to a mix.. kind of the opposite to glue. This is usually achieved with very long attack times combined with very short release. A quick run through of all 4 modes of the compressor gave none of that in my opinion, or at least none gave enough.

I also do not understand why the gain reduction mix knob goes only to 83% then switches to 'off'. I'd like it to be fully variable. Same with the THD knob.. why not allow it to go super subtle instead of turning it off after -80dBFS? It still clearly has an effect on some material and could be useful if it allowed for more range.

The compressor does sound really good overall. I very much like the action of it in all 4 modes so I might have to purchase it for this alone. Wasn't too fond of the de-esser and the EQ section just didn't do anything for me at all.

Can we get the compressor in a more fully fledged separate product with much more control? That'd be a real winner I suspect. Anyhow, will have to test it more next week.

Cheers!
bM
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i think the reaosn the sound holds together so well is precisely because it isnt limiting the hell out of it.
Im putting it up against the best limiters out there and im really surprised with the results.
I don't quite understand comparing it to other traditional brick wall limiters. None of the typical limiters (izotope, fabfilter, voxengo, DMG Audio etc) try to "have a sound".. they try to be as true to the original source as possible.

Bx_masterdesk isn't at all true to the original sound. The original incoming audio immediately changes when it's turned on and not by just a little. Try comparing your choise of typical limiter at equal loudness to the original audio at your chosen amount of gain reduction. Add Bx_masterdesk into the comparison and you'll hear it instantly changes everything. Tone, feel, transients.. everything while all the typical suspects stay relatively true in all aspects to the original, unless you go crazy with loudness and start getting the typical artifacts of most brick wall limiter designs (tonality changes, transient/impact loss).

A much fairer comparison would be adding a good bus type compressor and a suitable harmonic distortion producing device before the traditional limiter. Then you are at least comparing slightly similar tools.
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
I don't quite understand comparing it to other traditional brick wall limiters. None of the typical limiters (izotope, fabfilter, voxengo, DMG Audio etc) try to "have a sound".. they try to be as true to the original source as possible.

Bx_masterdesk isn't at all true to the original sound. The original incoming audio immediately changes when it's turned on and not by just a little. Try comparing your choise of typical limiter at equal loudness to the original audio at your chosen amount of gain reduction. Add Bx_masterdesk into the comparison and you'll hear it instantly changes everything. Tone, feel, transients.. everything while all the typical suspects stay relatively true in all aspects to the original, unless you go crazy with loudness and start getting the typical artifacts of most brick wall limiter designs (tonality changes, transient/impact loss).

A much fairer comparison would be adding a good bus type compressor and a suitable harmonic distortion producing device before the traditional limiter. Then you are at least comparing slightly similar tools.
This pretty much exactly sums up my brief experience with this.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm still blown away with the new SSL G console, and now this. Interessting.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hi! your point is certainly taken, however i was not concerned with a 'fair test' or apples to oranges. I was just testing things that i kow really well that work for me on my master buss. I get a much better idea of something that way, because i already know how elevate responds to my mix.

As for the analog / digital comparison, i just use what works for my music to be honest. In fact, i dont really use as much of the analog type stuff anymore as i often find that there are more advanced processors now that work better for what im doing. Actually thats BS, i still do use loads of analog type stuff, specially the new SSL Strips!

But i agree that it would be nice to hear some comparisons with similar stuff too!
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Oh and just for the record - elevate also has transient processing and a harmonics processor (its still radically different) and Limitless has a clipper and is not single band. that still doesnt go against anything you said as they are worlds apart. But i just thought i would include that.
Cheers!
Old 4th August 2018

Quote:
Exactly! Im using an SSL On every channel, then townhouse on the master and then the mastering unit. So simple and elegant.

is there no spectral compression / analog hybrid or anything like that under the hood? That was my first impression. Dont expect you to say anyway hehe.
Yeah i am gonna use this on drum buss and bass buss for sure. The resonance filter is working like a dream on bass buss.

If any of you find the resonance filter to take out a little bit too much for a particular track when situated on the mixbuss - try it on a bass buss or sub your kick and sub to a buss and do it there - AWESOME.

The other thing i love about this - along with townhouse it makes a great mixbuss that you can just throw on at the start of the process. If you are like me, you like mixing into your mixbuss chain. Many of my favourite limiters add a ton of latency and are brutal on the CPU. With this i can put it on and not only does it sound great right away, but it doesnt alter my flow or add loads of latency or hog the CPU.

Actually thats a good point - i cant wait to do a track start to finish with this on the mixbuss for the whole time, as i find when you mix into something you really get a feel for it and are able to push it just the right way.
Great stuff
bx_masterdesk compression is all analog modeled, no hybrid / spectral / multiband or whatever. The compressor is the star in this beast.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Head

idk... no matter what i do, the VU jumps between 5 and 6...

edit: ok, lol, I had only tested it on this "special" track I was working on that night (no High frequency elements in it basically)
-I guess that is why the "vu" acted like it did...- It might have needed a wider frequency spectrum to work with ..idk...

Sounds good today btw... feels like it opens it up a little and things are not as "under the pillow" as they were before (from a psycho acoustic standpoint) - without changing any controls...lol

defo needs more testing on my part/ different material going through it etc. ... but since i use the tools when i need them and do not concentrate on any specifc tool just for the sake of it but on the music, I will test more when the time comes

Thumbs up so far - and of course, expanding on it would be welcomed.

The deeper, the better :P

Last edited by evolution; 6th August 2018 at 05:27 PM..
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution View Post
idk... no matter what i do, the VU jumps between 5 and 6...
Yea it's important to talk about the meter. Espesially about the VU meter.
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarLander View Post
Yea it's important to talk about the meter. Espesially about the VU meter.
Noooooooooooooooo!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search