The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Releases the FG-A Vintage American Equalizer Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Seconded... please please a pultec and la2a
I would love a Slate LA2A, and possibly a LA3A.

I think this is the plugin we most need in native, as nothing really compares to the UAD version.
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Since everybody’s asking for LA2A and Pultec, etc., why not just fill out the gap with a, say, classic collection. Like everybody else. All at once, get it out of the way. That way, we can get back to the FGX2. What is it, almost a decade now…?
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds great, @Steven Slate. Brings me back to what I've missed about the hardware and the UAD version. Extra mid band is clutch.
Old 1st August 2018
The New FG-A EQ Sounds Wonderful, Warm, Punchy, Phat, and the High End is Super Awesome!! Download It My Gearslutz Friends!!

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Release and Work Steven & Slate Team!!

KP
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTo View Post
I'm experiencing a weird glitch with FG-A: the iLok manager sees the license (as a part of the Everything subscription), but the plugin itself claims that "No License Found" and wants me to activate FG-A. The rest of the VMR modules and other iLok plugins work fine. I'm using the most recent version of the iLok manager on Sierra 10.12.6, and all previous updates have went flawless.
Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? Any ideas how to solve this?
I had the same problem, also on Sierra 10.12.6. I upgraded the ilok license manager to 4.1.2 today and the problem disappeared. FG-A is now licensed and the "No license found" message has disappeared.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome!
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
Now this is how an api emu should sound.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
I don't usually like API-style EQ on vocals, but this one is really good, especially with the opamp and the continuous adjustment capability.

I did an A/B with the UAD API vision channel EQ on a heavy guitar track. They sound very close, but I ended up preferring the FG-A because you are not limited to the fixed EQ/vol positions. It was easier to adjust the relationship of the guitar to the vocal with the FG-A. Although the Softube American Class A EQ section has similar features, it didn't impress me as much as FG-A when I demoed it.

I recently got the Plugin Alliance SSL G channel which has a great EQ. Now comes this FG-A with a whole different and also great flavor. Things are getting really really good ITB these days. Whoopee!
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTo View Post
I'm experiencing a weird glitch with FG-A: the iLok manager sees the license (as a part of the Everything subscription), but the plugin itself claims that "No License Found" and wants me to activate FG-A. The rest of the VMR modules and other iLok plugins work fine. I'm using the most recent version of the iLok manager on Sierra 10.12.6, and all previous updates have went flawless.
Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? Any ideas how to solve this?
To add to the other reply, you can also try launching a new instance of VMR. I opened a project with existing instances of VMR, got the same "license not found" message for FG-A. Removing those instances and replacing them with new instances got rid of the message. I only had to launch one new instance of VMR, by the way. That seemed to "inform" my computer that FG-A was licensed.
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

How about just the Preamp Steven??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Yes, that was fixed!

Hi thanks for the suggestions! Also the A and B models of the hardware are a bit different. I like the tone of the A, so we modeled it but doubled the midband!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post

I did an A/B with the UAD API vision channel EQ on a heavy guitar track. They sound very close, but I ended up preferring the FG-A because you are not limited to the fixed EQ/vol positions. It was easier to adjust the relationship of the guitar to the vocal with the FG-A. Although the Softube American Class A EQ section has similar features, it didn't impress me as much as FG-A when I demoed it.
You are comparing two completely different API equalizers.

The EQ in an API Vision console (which is used in the UAD API Vision Channel) is totally different than an API 550A/B. The EQ in the Vision is a 500l and has no transformer, nor does it have opamp(s). They should probably sound a little bit close, but you won't have the obvious opamp and transformer electronics in the path. The 550l will be "cleaner", but not as much mojo or vibe.

I have two pair each of hw 550a and 550b and spent the last hour or so playing with the new Slate offering. Slate's plugins are pretty great! In comparison to the UAD 550A, I feel that the UAD does a better job at the handling of transients and tone like the hardware, but I reckon in Native world there's probably nothing out there that bests the Slate FG-A.

Well done, Steven and team.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
You are comparing two completely different API equalizers.

The EQ in an API Vision console (which is used in the UAD API Vision Channel) is totally different than an API 550A/B. The EQ in the Vision is a 500l and has no transformer, nor does it have opamp(s). They should probably sound a little bit close, but you won't have the obvious opamp and transformer electronics in the path. The 550l will be "cleaner", but not as much mojo or vibe.
That's a good point. The reason I compared them is because I was looking for an API-type of sound on that particular instrument and tried several API-style plug-ins, with UAD Vision being my favorite until FG-A.
Old 1st August 2018
Crazy insane on drums! One of those plugins that once you have a taste of it, it's hard to go back. Definitely the standard in native eq's.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Not a subscription guy. I always just purchase - is a demo available for VMR users?
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Dual-band gate, dual-band de-esser, band select transient enhancer, band select distortion, vmr-ported VBC... VMR needs this more then new EQs & compressors now.

Nice move in regard to the newly released Softube API plugin, tho
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Slate please, can we have a similar unique hardware's Pulteq EQ in VMR ? Thank you for bring this API one!
Considering that this has also been discussed in the past, I would say that it is rather likely and the CS EQ already has parts of the EQ
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

This thing is really something on drums.
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

Great job Steven!

Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe already mentioned or y'all may have it memorized... a nice reference by Avedis:

API, APSI, Aengus, Aphex Modules – Avedis Audio
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Spent a few more hours testing this plugin, delighted with it. Drums, vocals, synths, guitars - excellent (if you like the API sound of course). It'll most certainly be reaching for this a lot during mixing.

Fantastic sound, low CPU and zero latency. What more could you ask for?
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

The EQ sounds fantastic. I like it much better than the Softube one. However their API compressor sounds great, wish there was one to compliment in VMR.

And a gate to finish off a complete channel strip.
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Head
I'm really digging this EQ, much more than FG-S and FG-N. Smooth and colorful. Wonderful addition to VMR!
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

FG-A on Drums

Hello Steven,

thank you for this great EQ. It made the drums in the mix I am currently working on 10% better instantly.

Is there any chance to know if theree is a 33609 emulation for VBC coming in the future?

cheers,
Hendrik
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Great plugin.

Compared to the Overloud one, and this has more weight and mojo. Not night and day, but it certainly is different, and better to my ears.

The everything bundle is each day becoming a better deal. Congrats.
Old 1st August 2018
@stevenslate

Awesome sounding eq. Very 3d sounding! A wish is that you would implement the 0.5db steps from the 5500. This is sounding so good so 2dbs sounds good but you know sometimes you want that 1db
Old 1st August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
@stevenslate

Awesome sounding eq. Very 3d sounding! A wish is that you would implement the 0.5db steps from the 5500. This is sounding so good so 2dbs sounds good but you know sometimes you want that 1db
You do know CTRL-clicking the knobs makes them continously adjustable? Both frequencies and gain.

By far the best VMR Eq yet, didn't like the FG-N and S that much, but A sounds great.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemann View Post
I'm really digging this EQ, much more than FG-S and FG-N. Smooth and colorful. Wonderful addition to VMR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
You do know CTRL-clicking the knobs makes them continously adjustable? Both frequencies and gain.

By far the best VMR Eq yet, didn't like the FG-N and S that much, but A sounds great.
In agreement here, A is a step up from N and S. Are those done and dusted now, or can they be updated to match the quality of FG-A @Steven Slate?

P.S. Hold down CMD on mac for variable knobs. On that note Steven, any chance of making the right mouse button do this too? For those not using a keyboard (or trying not to), it's a bit of a pain. Edit: Already does! Marvellous.

Last edited by b0se; 1st August 2018 at 02:54 PM..
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
P.S. Hold down CMD on mac for variable knobs. On that note Steven, any chance of making the right mouse button do this too? For those not using a keyboard (or trying not to), it's a bit of a pain. RMB would make it seamless for mouse/controller users.
I only use the right mouse for that adjustment. On PC. It would be crazy if it's not implemented the same way on mac.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search