• Bypass Switch for Each Colour Module
  • +/-6dB Output Trim Gain Range
  • Master Bypass Switch and LED Indicator
  • High-Quality ALPS Potentiometers
  • Studio-Grade Texas Instruments Opamps
  • Balanced Input
  • Balanced Output
  • Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format

The C544 is a Mono Colour Processor with four Colour Module Slots.

Each Colour Module stage has Drive/Trim circuit with 1:1 Ratio. The dual potentiometer controls the Drive Gain before the Colour Module and the Attenuation of the output signal from the Colour Module.

As a result, the Colour module Drive Intensitivity increases while the output level remains the same.

Each Colour Module stage has the Bypass Switch which allows the easy A/B operation.

The C544 has the +/-6dB Master Output Trim and the Master Bypass with the LED indicator.

The Master Bypass is located after the Master Output Trim.

Active Low Noise Colour Drive Control

The C544 has an active Gain Control Circuit. The first half of the Gain/Trim Dual Potentiometer is actively changing the Drive Gain.

Less Drive = less Gain, which means less noise in the background.

Other designs may use a fixed gain drive circuitry, which produces much higher noise floor levels. If more than one fixed gain stages are combined in series, the noise may become audible.

C544 will always deliver the lowest possible noise floor level. The C544 was designed from the beginning to be used by professionals in demanding studio applications.

Fully Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format

The C544 is fully compatible with DIY Recording Equipment Colour Format.

Any Colour Module made by DIYRE or other developers can be used in the C544 Colour Processor.

The C544 is also fully compatible with 500 API Format.

More Info:
C544 | Colour Processor - 4 Colour Slots | DIYRE Colour Palette Upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
C544 | Mono Colour Processor with 4 Colour Slots-c544-mono-colour-processor-bart-hrk.jpg   C544 | Mono Colour Processor with 4 Colour Slots-c544-mono-colour-processor-fp-bart-hrk.jpg   C544 | Mono Colour Processor with 4 Colour Slots-c544-fp-manual.jpg  

Last edited by Bart_UK; 8th September 2018 at 12:36 PM..
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

another nice option, well done!
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear

I bought a C544 last month to upgrade my classic DIYRE palette module, along with a British EQ and a Discrete Line Driver.

They sound great and the module itself is really well made, and for a VERY good price! I just had to put a small sticker on the blinding LED

Good job Mr. HRK
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Wished you guys were stateside but I WILL be grabbing one.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Wished you guys were stateside but I WILL be grabbing one.
Hey Patrick, did you ever grab one? I'm considering a pair and was looking for feedback.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Hey Patrick, did you ever grab one? I'm considering a pair and was looking for feedback.
Yes, yes I did. And it is MEGA FREAKING AWESOME sauce!!!!! Lol.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, yes I did. And it is MEGA FREAKING AWESOME sauce!!!!! Lol.
What colour cards do you have in it?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What colour cards do you have in it?
TM79 / 15 ips

Getting ready to get second set. And get the Royal Blue and the Mass Driver stereo pairs as soon as this mix session deposit drops into my acct...... then off to AES!!!!
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
TM79 / 15 ips

Getting ready to get second set. And get the Royal Blue and the Mass Driver stereo pairs as soon as this mix session deposit drops into my acct...... then off to AES!!!!
Please PM me any feedback you want to give on any module, I'm seriously thinking of adding these to my API Box inserts for mix down time coloring.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please PM me any feedback you want to give on any module, I'm seriously thinking of adding these to my API Box inserts for mix down time coloring.
I FB messaged you.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

These seem to be available with a free module too - their 'classic VCA' that chip compressor looks interesting - would a pair of these actually do a stereo SSL mixbus thing? (not linked obviously)

also the 'soviet pentode' looks fun...
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
These seem to be available with a free module too - their 'classic VCA' that chip compressor looks interesting - would a pair of these actually do a stereo SSL mixbus thing? (not linked obviously)

also the 'soviet pentode' looks fun...
That’s what i wanted to know “ VCA “. I want to get those also.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_UK View Post
C544 | Mono Colour Processor with 4 Colour Slots

• 4 Colour Slots per Channel
  • 1:1 Ratio Gain/Trim Colour Drive Circuit
  • +20dB Colour Drive Gain Range
  • Bypass Switch for Each Colour Module
  • +/-6dB Output Trim Gain Range
  • Master Bypass Switch and LED Indicator
  • High-Quality ALPS Potentiometers
  • Studio-Grade Texas Instruments Opamps
  • Balanced Input
  • Balanced Output
  • Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format

The C544 is a Mono Colour Processor with four Colour Module Slots.

Each Colour Module stage has Drive/Trim circuit with 1:1 Ratio. The dual potentiometer controls the Drive Gain before the Colour Module and the Attenuation of the output signal from the Colour Module.

As a result, the Colour module Drive Intensitivity increases while the output level remains the same.

Each Colour Module stage has the Bypass Switch which allows the easy A/B operation.

The C544 has the +/-6dB Master Output Trim and the Master Bypass with the LED indicator.

The Master Bypass is located after the Master Output Trim.

Active Low Noise Colour Drive Control

The C544 has an active Gain Control Circuit. The first half of the Gain/Trim Dual Potentiometer is actively changing the Drive Gain.

Less Drive = less Gain, which means less noise in the background.

Other designs may use a fixed gain drive circuitry, which produces much higher noise floor levels. If more than one fixed gain stages are combined in series, the noise may become audible.

C544 will always deliver the lowest possible noise floor level. The C544 was designed from the beginning to be used by professionals in demanding studio applications.

Fully Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format

The C544 is fully compatible with DIY Recording Equipment Colour Format.

Any Colour Module made by DIYRE or other developers can be used in the C544 Colour Processor.

The C544 is also fully compatible with 500 API Format.

More Info:
C544 | Colour Processor - 4 Colour Slots | DIYRE Colour Palette Upgrade

Hello Bart,

I placed an order 8 days ago for a mono colour processor, but have only received confirmation of payment. I see the items are in stock, do you have any idea of when will you be able to ship them?

Thank you in advance.
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
Hello Bart,

I placed an order 8 days ago for a mono colour processor, but have only received confirmation of payment. I see the items are in stock, do you have any idea of when will you be able to ship them?

Thank you in advance.
Hi,

Unfortunately, your order has not been shipped yet. Please accept my apologies. Recently we have experienced a high volume of orders which we did not anticipate.
Your order will be shipped today. You will receive the tracking number soon. Please check your spam box if you will not get the email by tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Bart
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_UK View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately, your order has not been shipped yet. Please accept my apologies. Recently we have experienced a high volume of orders which we did not anticipate.
Your order will be shipped today. You will receive the tracking number soon. Please check your spam box if you will not get the email by tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Bart
Thank you Bart, that was fast! Got my tracking number, looking forward now to trying out your modules!

PS: congrats for the high volume of orders
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you Bart, that was fast! Got my tracking number, looking forward now to trying out your modules!

PS: congrats for the high volume of orders
Please return to give us a review of these, they are on my list but there is almost no feedback out there.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please return to give us a review of these, they are on my list but there is almost no feedback out there.
Of course Will, no problem. Got 4 colour modules to try with it: soviet pentode, British console and eq, and the dopa520. Classic colours to test, but I might not be able to report till new year. Got to wait for the Midas 500 rack, not sure I'll get it before Xmas
Old 18th February 2019
Ordered a pair of these and a bunch of colours...

I'm planning to buy an IGS Bison to run them in m/s, maybe I'll buy another 2 after... for plenty of colours
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course Will, no problem. Got 4 colour modules to try with it: soviet pentode, British console and eq, and the dopa520. Classic colours to test, but I might not be able to report till new year. Got to wait for the Midas 500 rack, not sure I'll get it before Xmas
Have you had a chance to test these out yet? Curious what your thoughts are on them.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Have you had a chance to test these out yet? Curious what your thoughts are on them.
Hello,

Please, give a couple of days and I´ll get back with some audio, it´s the best way to demonstrate. I´m struggling to find spare time, but should do in 2-3 days. (I haven´t forgotten - and I promised Will I´d report back)
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Please, give a couple of days and I´ll get back with some audio, it´s the best way to demonstrate. I´m struggling to find spare time, but should do in 2-3 days. (I haven´t forgotten - and I promised Will I´d report back)
Thanks, no rush and I definitely appreciate it!
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

I just ordered a pair of C554's today with:

2 DISCRETE LINE DRIVER COLOUR MODULE
2 BRITISH CONSOLE COLOUR MODULE
2 DISCRETE SATURATION COLOUR MODULE
2 DOPA520 OPAMP COLOUR MODULE

I'm a little excited as I've been wanting to get into the Colour system for a while but other purchases kept coming up. I plan on giving a full detailed report here after I've been able to put them into action. My long term plan is to have 16 C544's filled with different colours on the inserts channels of my API Box 16 summing channels to color at mixdown. So step one was to get 2 and put them to the test!
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

You had not gotten back so I took the plunge today with the Easter sale.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
You had not gotten back so I took the plunge today with the Easter sale.
Hey Will, have you received yours? Taken it for a spin yet?
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dangamira View Post
Hey Will, have you received yours? Taken it for a spin yet?
They were delivered but I'm out of town, but they should be in my hands next week. I'll report back for sure after I test them out.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
They were delivered but I'm out of town, but they should be in my hands next week. I'll report back for sure after I test them out.
Thanks Will! Looking forward to it!
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Will! Looking forward to it!
Hey folks, I've had my 544's in studio for a few days now and after hours of testing here are my 100% unbiased thoughts.

Colour cards tested.
Discrete Line Driver
British Console
Discrete Saturation
DOPA520 Opamp

1. Wow these things are tiny. Putting the colour cards into the 544's takes patience and small fingers. I got both cards loaded and slotted without an issue.

2. Gain staging is an absolute must. I'm not sure what the recommended level going into the colour cards is, but I found you must turn it down coming from your DAW or you just get distortion.

3. Volume levels are not consistent across the colour cards. This is not a complaint, just posting my observation. Different cards volume varies depending on the card.

4. Very subtle coloring. Until you drive into the cards the effect is more subtle, so if you are looking for dramatic changes you may be disappointed. Also, the more you drive into the cards the more splat they go, so don't expect the sound to tighten up much as you drive them. (This goes for the 4 cards I tested.)

5. Extremely cool format. I'll have fun learning this format and I plan to grab more card to test and determine my needs. I'm looking at the 15ips and LTL Royal Blues next. With such a low cost it will be hard not to test every card this format offers.

My initial card thoughts.
Out of the 4 cards I tested my favorite was the Discrete Line Driver, which surprised me and has me wanting to try every colour card with a transformer, lol. I liked driving into it a bit around 9-10 o-clock.

I'm a vintage Neve fan but I found the British Console just ok as it did not remind me of using 1272's or 1084's and I never liked it turned up much. My expectations are my issue with the card, not the card itself. I'll need more time with this one.

The DOPA520 Opamp was ok and like the British Console I did not like it much turned up. I have a bunch of API here so I need to learn this card more for a more accurate review.

I found the Discrete Saturation nice, I could see liking it on some things that want a little edge like soft synths lacking edge or bite, and I did like it turned up to medium.

Overall these were fun and the cost to test is stupid cheap, HRK has a great thing going, with solid build quality, and will get more of my business moving forward as now I want more 544's filled for mixing, lol. Now I need to get busy learning each card and how they stack with each other. I'm also wondering how much different card order will affect the overall tonal balance.

EDIT #1
After more testing I prefer the Discrete Line Driver with the low boost jumped but the feedback off so it is dirtier, and I moved it to the 1st colour slot. I also jumped the first 8db boost on the British Console and this is where it fits for me better.

My 4 slot order is now:
1. Discrete Line Driver
2. DOPA520
3. Discrete Saturation
4. British Console

Then as an insert the 544's are followed by my Elektron Analog Heat Mk II for HP/LP with Hi/Low EQ and more saturation/drive options.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 19th May 2019 at 01:26 AM..
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hey folks, I've had my 544's in studio for a few days now and after hours of testing here are my 100% unbiased thoughts.

Colour cards tested.
Discrete Line Driver
British Console
Discrete Saturation
DOPA520 Opamp

1. Wow these things are tiny. Putting the colour cards into the 544's takes patience and small fingers. I got both cards loaded and slotted without an issue.

2. Gain staging is an absolute must. I'm not sure what the recommended level going into the colour cards is, but I found you must turn it down coming from your DAW or you just get distortion.

3. Volume levels are not consistent across the colour cards. This is not a complaint, just posting my observation. Different cards volume varies depending on the card.

4. Very subtle coloring. Until you drive into the cards the effect is more subtle, so if you are looking for dramatic changes you may be disappointed. Also, the more you drive into the cards the more splat they go, so don't expect the sound to tighten up much as you drive them. (This goes for the 4 cards I tested.)

5. Extremely cool format. I'll have fun learning this format and I plan to grab more card to test and determine my needs. I'm looking at the 15ips and LTL Royal Blues next. With such a low cost it will be hard not to test every card this format offers.

My initial card thoughts.
Out of the 4 cards I tested my favorite was the Discrete Line Driver, which surprised me and has me wanting to try every colour card with a transformer, lol. I liked driving into it a bit around 9-10 o-clock.

I'm a vintage Neve fan but I found the British Console just ok as it did not remind me of using 1272's or 1084's and I never liked it turned up much. My expectations are my issue with the card, not the card itself. I'll need more time with this one.

The DOPA520 Opamp was ok and like the British Console I did not like it much turned up. I have a bunch of API here so I need to learn this card more for a more accurate review.

I found the Discrete Saturation nice, I could see liking it on some things that want a little edge like soft synths lacking edge or bite, and I did like it turned up to medium.

Overall these were fun and the cost to test is stupid cheap, HRK has a great thing going, with solid build quality, and will get more of my business moving forward as now I was more 544's filled for mixing, lol. Now I need to get busy learning each card and how they stack with each other. I'm also wondering how much different card order will affect the overall tonal balance.
Hey Will,

thank you for the insightful description!!
How would you rate the build quality of the 544 modules?
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Will,

thank you for the insightful description!!
How would you rate the build quality of the 544 modules?
I would give them a 7.5-8 out of 10. Knobs feel solid with just a tiny amount of wiggle and the switches are thin but good. I've paid much more for way cheaper build quality. Overall it's great bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

Thank you for the detailed review ! I'll report on my experience with discrete sat, British console and us pentode soon. Strange that you need to feed them with weak levels, they sell it as capable of processing line level signals direct from daw...kind of a let down.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search