The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C544 | Mono Colour Processor with 4 Colour Slots
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

The implode ROCKS!
The tm79 is flipping AWESOME!
The 15ips is dope!

I’m waiting for my royal blue and MASS DRVR to arrive.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
Thank you for the detailed review ! I'll report on my experience with discrete sat, British console and us pentode soon. Strange that you need to feed them with weak levels, they sell it as capable of processing line level signals direct from daw...kind of a let down.
We have to remember that 0 dbu in analog in -18dbfs in our DAW. So gain staging is important. It would be nice if we knew what the proper level HRK set the 544's to receive.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
We have to remember that 0 dbu in analog in -18dbfs in our DAW. So gain staging is important. It would be nice if we knew what the proper level HRK set the 544's to receive.
Hey Will so have you been able to make the discrete line driver and the DOPA 520 scream a little ? In the audio examples available online, their action is super subtle, I can barely hear it on the monitors..
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Will so have you been able to make the discrete line driver and the DOPA 520 scream a little ? In the audio examples available online, their action is super subtle, I can barely hear it on the monitors..
No, I have them next to my API's and they are more tame in comparison. My guess is the transformers are very important so I would look to team the DOPA with an LTL Mass Driver if you want more bite.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Well folks.....

I've run a bunch of testing and I'm seeing a pattern in what I want from these so I could see 544's filled with:

1. Some kind of transformer first.
2. Something with drive, bite, or EQ here.
3. A Tube, DOA, or Console card here.
4. Some kind of Filter last.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Well folks.....

I've run a bunch of testing and I'm seeing a pattern in what I want from these so I could see 544's filled with:

I'd love to see these compared with LTL Chromas. Also do you think there would be a big difference between a royal blue colour module and the british console module?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
I'd love to see these compared with LTL Chromas. Also do you think there would be a big difference between a royal blue colour module and the british console module?
I would like to have a pair of Chromas one day, and I suspect there will be a difference between the Royal Blue's and British Console as one is a 1081 transformer while the other is an attempt to mimic an older Neve console tone...... but I really want to hear them together.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
Somewhere on its website, LTL describes the differences between the A & N circuits in the Chroma and the Mass Drivr and Royal blue. They are related but not the same thing !

EDIT : here you go

https://support.louderthanliftoff.co...llet-mojo-amps
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well folks.....

sounds a lot like a LTL mister focus could get a lot of this setup too...
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Discrete saturation : very effective, I feel like it could work on anything if used lightly.
British console is also very good, more noticeable than discrete saturation. Works like a charm on synth and drum machines. It compresses the signal, just like discrete sat.
US pentode : I like it but it's trickier : the gain staging is complicated, it craps out quickly, and (lucky me), one of the two in the pair makes an annoying sine at 5K, it's way to audible for my taste . I'll send a mail tomorrow about this. But it is really interesting, it makes some very good textures if cranked up.

Like Will said, gain staging is very important. -20 dbFS as stated in the C544 manual.

EDIT : HRK have offered me to send a new US Pentode for free with my next purchase (because, yes, I'm buying more colours :D ).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

hmmm guys I'm having fantastic results combining three colours on bass heavy Pro2 sequences. VERY tasty things are happening. Ok so I really recommend you look into these if you're after subtle-to-not-so-subtle-anymore saturation or very qualitative tone_sculptor. They impart something surnatural to the Pro 2. What's great is that they melt with the tone, you don't perceive them as a special fx. The way I hear it, they enhance the timbres and put them in a defined space. It's a match made in heaven because the Pro2 is a razorblade , and so the "sterile" becomes something else, very vivid and punchy. It breaks but in a musical and predictable manner. The british console on its own works great in this application. and then a combination of discrete sat followed by US pentode (triode mode) is also very interesting. Somehow they handle bass frequencies pretty well. A 808 kick might be more complicated, it would probably make the colours break quite early, but here, with basslines that go deep, it's impeccable (I say that, but it sounded good with the tanzbar also ^^').

So what's next... There is so much to choose from...

GT Console
Line driver
Royal Blue
Mass Drivr
Colourupter
CTX

... The list goes on'n'on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
US pentode : I like it but it's trickier : the gain staging is complicated, it craps out quickly, and (lucky me), one of the two in the pair makes an annoying sine at 5K, it's way to audible for my taste . I'll send a mail tomorrow about this. But it is really interesting, it makes some very good textures if cranked up.
I'm having the same problem with the US Pentode - breaking up really fast. Having to feed really low levels of electric guitar. Transients are just killing it.

What was the replacement for - the 5K sine? Hows the new one you've received?

Michael
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirwood View Post
I'm having the same problem with the US Pentode - breaking up really fast. Having to feed really low levels of electric guitar. Transients are just killing it.

What was the replacement for - the 5K sine? Hows the new one you've received?

Michael
Yes I asked for a replacement because of this 5K sine. I received another Pentode, but sadly it was broken-sounding from the get go. It just sounded terribly bad, crap sound starting at 9 o'clock with -20 dBFS input signal. So I'm about to send the two defective units back to HRK in hope that he will -first- believe me (according to him, I do something wrong, two in a row is impossible), and -two- send a second replacement. In the meantime I ordered two Pentode from LTL, because I start to doubt I'll get a working stereo pair from Bart HRK...
IF I end up with a working pair of US Pentode, I'll use them in triode mode and I'll use the LTL's for heavier settings.

On a side note, I will soon receive the Soviet Pentode, Royal Blue, Mass Drivr, Colourupter, 15IPS, CTX, JFT sat. and TM79 Multistage sat. !! ^^'... Let's say I went all in...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes I asked for a replacement because of this 5K sine. I received another Pentode, but sadly it was broken-sounding from the get go. It just sounded terribly bad, crap sound starting at 9 o'clock with -20 dBFS input signal. So I'm about to send the two defective units back to HRK in hope that he will -first- believe me (according to him, I do something wrong, two in a row is impossible), and -two- send a second replacement. In the meantime I ordered two Pentode from LTL, because I start to doubt I'll get a working stereo pair from Bart HRK..
If you could update this thread with what HRK say I'd really appreciate it.

All the other colour modules I'm using sound great, just struggling with the US Pentode. I'm using it with the HRK preamp.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you could update this thread with what HRK say I'd really appreciate it.

All the other colour modules I'm using sound great, just struggling with the US Pentode. I'm using it with the HRK preamp.
What he answered is mostly out of topic because for some reason he thought I was talking about Soviet Pentode. He told me he had -max- three cases of defective US pentode.

Before sending me the faulty replacement, he wrote to me that the problem with the tone was probably due to a "faulty regulator". The replacement sounds even worse, it's not musical at all and I wonder what is wrong with it this time, and how such thing can pass thru the tests he says he performs before sending anything !
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Before sending me the faulty replacement, he wrote to me that the problem with the tone was probably due to a "faulty regulator". The replacement sounds even worse, it's not musical at all and I wonder what is wrong with it this time, and how such thing can pass thru the tests he says he performs before sending anything !
Thanks for the info.

I'll try it some more - but I've got it paired up with a mass driver at the moment and the Pentode needs such low levels that they're not going to work together.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted b738100
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I'll try it some more - but I've got it paired up with a mass driver at the moment and the Pentode needs such low levels that they're not going to work together.
I have a pair of soviet pentodes and combined with the discrete line driver in the MPQ568C they can shine on vocals - like shown in his video.

I´ve yet to find any other use for them...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I was in a writing session yesterday and we recorded the bass in through the US Pentode and it did sound great. We just had to be careful not to let it break up which it did a lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search