EastWest Releases SPACES II
Old 25th July 2018
News Desk Editor

EastWest Releases SPACES II-product_spaces-ii_interface_1-2x.jpg

The Sequel to the Ultimate 24-bit True Stereo Convolution Reverb with
New Spaces, Instrument Specific Reverbs and Enhanced Features

EastWest has released SPACES II, the highly-anticipated sequel to their best-selling SPACES I Convolution Reverb plug-in. Produced by Doug Rogers and Nick Phoenix, SPACES II includes all of the reverbs from SPACES I plus hundreds more new reverbs recorded in churches, concert halls, opera houses, catacombs, train stations, recording studios, and warehouses. It boasts a new streamlined user interface, new control features, and a vastly expanded collection of instrument specific reverbs, making SPACES II the most powerful and versatile convolution reverb engine on the market.

Instrument Specific Reverbs

A unique feature of SPACES II is the instrument specific reverbs that have been designed to take the guesswork out of selecting the best reverb for an application. SPACES I employed this technique on the SoCal hall and it was so popular that Spaces II now includes six venues with instrument specific reverbs, which uses an ATC speaker array to emulate the sound projection patterns of each instrument or section. For orchestral halls, a recording was taken in the exact position an instrument would be on stage. For example; a French horn fires its sound against the back wall, therefore, an impulse for a French horn was created by firing the sweep tones from the middle to left rear of the stage, backwards and slightly towards the floor. By contrast, the first violin section recordings were taken by firing a series of speakers at an angle toward the ceiling with a fifth speaker firing towards the floor to emulate the body of the violins. A choir shoots straight out from the back, a celeste or harp is usually way over to the side and a lot of that sound goes up giving you early reflections. Most soundtrack composers that use SPACES I consider those instrument reverbs from the SoCal Hall to be ground-breaking and can now set up a mixing template with unique reverb for the strings, brass, winds, percussion and choir for realism that is purely magical. In SPACES II, five more locations were added using this technique for a total of six. There are 324 instrument specific reverbs in SPACES II compared to 48 in SPACES I for a total of 372.

Brand New Spaces

From stunning concert venues like Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City, Reynolds Hall in Las Vegas, and the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco to exquisite sounding churches like St. Patrick’s and St. Dominic’s as well as unique and extraordinary sounding locations like catacombs and Union Station in Los Angeles and many more, the reverbs from these brand new spaces will inspire you and help bring your compositions to life with incredible realism.
New Streamlined User Interface + New Control Features

SPACES II features a streamlined, completely revamped user interface. The user can now see actual visuals of each space - including those from SPACES I! In addition, new Next/Previous-arrows allow the user to easily navigate the 1,020 reverbs from this massive collection. Perhaps the biggest new feature is a brand-new Decay Time panel that provides absolute control of the decay time of each and every space, allowing for the ultimate in customization.

Revolutionary Recording Techniques

The pristine audio quality of SPACES I was a result of the revolutionary recording techniques that have been refined even further in Spaces II. The best gear from Fairchild, Manley, Meitner, Neumann, Neve, Sennheiser, Sony, Telefunken, and TG were used in each recording. ATC Monitors were used in each space to emulate the real-world sound projection properties of various instruments. SPACES II includes a ultra-high resolution, True Stereo engine that focuses on delivering the very best sound at a very low CPU load. Most impulses are in 8 channel format, so surround mixes can be created with ease.

FEATURES
  • Produced by Doug Rogers and Nick Phoenix
  • 1,020 reverbs recorded in locations worldwide
  • Includes 372 Instrument specific reverbs recorded in 6 locations
  • Highest resolution, most useful reverbs available
  • 24-bit True Stereo, with surround capability
  • New convolution engine
  • Brand new user interface with visuals representing each space
  • Brand new Decay Time control feature
  • New Next / Previous buttons for fast navigation
  • ATC, Neumann, Telefunken, Neve, Meitner Signal Path
  • Film Score, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classical, Esoteric and Dreamy Reverbs
  • Low CPU usage, with cleanest signal path possible

Upgrade for SPACES I users, Price & Availability

SPACES II is available for $299, including lower cost upgrade options for SPACES I users. It is also available as part of a ComposerCloud subscription.

For more information: EastWest Spaces //
Attached Thumbnails
EastWest Releases SPACES II-product_spaces-ii_interface_1-2x.jpg  
Old 25th July 2018
EastWest Spaces II

And here it is, of course without possibility to record your own impulses. Altiverb is still unbeatable at price....

EastWest Spaces //
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

I don't see a price, or upgrade price, or even an option to buy. I never liked the way the IR's in Spaces cause an unnatural sweep at the end of the verb tail. Like you can hear the sine wave sweep in the IR. So unless they improved the process (which it sounds like they didn't in their spiel) I'm gonna pass... unless the upgrade is priced for the curious among us.
Old 25th July 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
I don't see a price, or upgrade price, or even an option to buy.
Yeah, weird rollout.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
I don't see a price, or upgrade price, or even an option to buy...
I'm sure something magical will happen, if you click on the red "BUY NOW" button...
Attached Thumbnails
EastWest Releases SPACES II-zwischenablage01.jpg  
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Their payment system don't work.
Impossible to checkout.

Later maybe ...

Old 25th July 2018
Here for the gear

Not impressed. I paid 99$ for Spaces. 50 bucks for the upgrade would be reasonable, but 149$ is kind of hefty, especially when all you have is a new GUI, the same limited control and 14 impulses worth of new content, against 40 of the original. I hope the upgrade will be available at a realistic discount from online retailers, otherwise, this is just another treat for CC users and not worth the full price tag imho.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholee View Post
I'm sure something magical will happen, if you click on the red "BUY NOW" button...
And I'm sure they added a red "BUY NOW" button after I posted. But thanks for letting me know they fixed it in a sarcastic, condescending way.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

The upgrade price is an insult. I'll keep V1.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
The upgrade price is an insult. I'll keep V1.
Yea, and this :

Quote:
2 DAYS ONLY! Upgrade from Spaces I for only $149 and SAVE $50 off of the regular upgrade price of $199!

This is really an insult !

Old 26th July 2018
Gear Head

$149 upgrade price?! EastWest are on crack

My (fortunately) few experiences with this company have been just awful, this ridiculous upgrade price is the final nail in the coffin for me, RIP
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

I love the sound of the first Spaces, but this company is miserable.

- c
Old 26th July 2018
Here for the gear

Nick Phoenix at VI-Control: "If I told you that this is the best reverb ever made, I would be underselling it."

The thing is, there's a handful of kids that fall for it and will pay this absurd price for some cosmetic changes and a few new impulses. In the meanwhile, all pro composers I know are done with this greedy company.

Apparently, the plugin is already broken and doesn't even show the values when you move knobs. $300 and they can't even deliver a working product. This is basic stuff. Save your money, guys.
Old 26th July 2018
MNS
Here for the gear

Is Altiverb still worth it?

Days when guys were ok to pay $500 for a reverb are over or not ??

Maybe EastWest's Marketing management thinks Spaces 2 is as good as ALTIVERB...

Last edited by MNS; 26th July 2018 at 11:52 AM..
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Altiverb is worth it if u like the sound..

Is there NO trial for spaces 2? I looked everywhere.. i wouldnt buy it just to test it
Old 26th July 2018
On the other hand, spaces has some of the most realistic "real" rooms I've heard with IRs recorded in highest precision.

For me totally worth the cash.
Old 26th July 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Ridiculous upgrade price, no demo... Pass.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Not that expensive an upgrade considering the price of some high quality IR libraries vs the amount of new spaces included..... and probably the only EW product I still love to use.
Old 26th July 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
The upgrade price is what I paid for Spaces originally (on sale, which happens often with EW products). It has some nice IRs if those IRs are exactly the sound you need. I haven't used it in quite a while though, so the upgrade doesn't entice me (too many other more versatile options). If it had included 100 new IRs of more diverse stages and halls, then it might be worth it.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Doesn't the first version include some (all?) of the discontinued Acoustica IRs?

If so... still in the new version?

I almost bought the original a few times at $150 additionally discounted.

The upgrade is a burn though for sure.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
If it had included 100 new IRs of more diverse stages and halls, then it might be worth it.

From the manual....

Quote:
Spaces II includes 353 brand new reverbs
recorded in churches, concert halls, opera houses, catacombs, train stations,
recording studios, and warehouses. ....
That's $0.42 per new impulse.
Old 26th July 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
From the manual....

That's $0.42 per new impulse.

I only counted 15 actual "New" locations on the Tech Specs page, so apparently the other 338 are FR/RR, M-S, S-S and decay time varations of those 15 spaces/locations.

If even one IR in Spaces II is useful for you, $149 could be worth it. I'm not a big fan of static IRs, so I would need to see something more than a few new locations for Spaces II to be worth it for me.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Very keen to hear how this compares to Liquidsonics Reverberate 2!?

Reverberate 2 sounds great with the Fusion IR's but I find it's GUI quite clunky and overwhelming!
I love IR reverbs and really like the simplicity and clear GUI of Spaces 2.

I've also used Acon Verberate and Valhalla Room and find them very good at natural acoustic spaces (particularly Verberate) but prefer Reverberate 2.

Sadly Spaces 2 doesn't have a demo to try so I would love to hear from anyone who has compared this to Reverberate 2 as $299 is a fair amount to risk for a product I might not like.
Old 26th July 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Sadly Spaces 2 doesn't have a demo to try so I would love to hear from anyone who has compared this to Reverberate 2 as $299 is a fair amount to risk for a product I might not like.
If you like Reverberate 2, take a look at Seventh Heaven, also from Liquidsonics. Just as a reference, I can get a very similar sound with SH and Spaces. I used Reverberate 2 for years, but the cpu load was always high, and it is a pain to tweak. Seventh Heaven takes the FIR concept and improves it with a much nicer GUI, and new FIRs (from the Bricasti M7). Reverberate 2 still has some options SH doesn't - such as configurable modulation, two separate IR sections, etc.

Spaces sounds great, as do Seventh Heaven and many others. Either Spaces 2 or SH will serve you well, though Spaces is less configurable. SH doesn't have the specific locations Spaces does, and it is based on the M7 reverb instead of real halls, but it has more unique presets/IRs. Spaces also has a less configurable predelay - it is always creates a strong ER slap. SH has the option to set the ER/Late balance, with multiple ER patterns, and less/no audible slap (softer ERs in general).

The other thing that bothers me a little with Spaces is the somewhat quickly dampened tails on some locations/IRs. Sometimes that is perfectly fine and will get lost in a mix, but other times, I want the tail decaying a little more smoothly (this is comparing similar audible decay times; listed decay times aren't always exactly the same between IR plugins). Both are the same price. Another option to consider is 2c Audio Breeze 2. Algorithmic, so a completely different category of reverb but also a great sound at less than half the price.

Last edited by kdm; 26th July 2018 at 11:50 PM..
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

I use Spaces I every day for my trailer cues.
For my taste Spaces beats Altiverb soundwise and every other IR verb.
But the update price for existing users is ridiculous...
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered Seventh Heaven but don’t have a hardware iLok key and am not keen on getting one.

I haven’t tried 2C Audio’s Breeze 2but will have a listen.
Old 27th July 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Spaces requires an iLok account for either machine-authorization or an iLok key.
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Actually the regular upgrade price is $199! $149 is only for two days!

Spaces sounds really good. IMHO, it's better than Altiverb and many other IR reverbs I tried, but I probably will not upgrade at that price.
Old 27th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Guys. This is Nick Phoenix, creator of Spaces II. DISCLAIMER: I am not involved with pricing.

I get the complaints but you are misunderstanding what this product is.

The new impulses in Spaces 2 were a huge deal. I bought an RV for travel and spent another $40K on recording equipment for the project. thats on top of the $150K arsenal we already used for Spaces 1. I probably put in 3 times the effort than I did on Spaces 1. And yes, this is the best reverb ever made. People used to spend thousands for that. Sound quality and usefulness is way above Altiverb or any other reverb, particularly for classical/film score. Altiverb and MIR charge a lot more for inferior sound. This reverb has no competition. In this day and age of product saturation, this is a really rare thing.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Leap View Post
And yes, this is the best reverb ever made. People used to spend thousands for that. Sound quality and usefulness is way above Altiverb or any other reverb, particularly for classical/film score. Altiverb and MIR charge a lot more for inferior sound. This reverb has no competition. In this day and age of product saturation, this is a really rare thing.
I respect the work and resources you put into this. I have read a few interviews with my favorite mixer, Mark “Spike” Stent, in which he states that Spaces is his favorite reverb. Although I haven’t purchased Spaces, I value and trust Stent’s comments about it.
Having said that, I predict that you’ll get a lot of backlash for labeling Altiverb and MIR as having ”inferior sound,” even if you’re right. That’s because you’re the developer talking about your competitors. People like to see developers speaking magnanimously around these parts (from what I’ve seen).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search