The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Denise announces the launch of the "Saturator"
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Denise announces the launch of the "Saturator"

Hi all, our team here at Denise are pleased to finally announce the launch of our first plug-in, the Denise Saturator. We're offering a trial of the plug-in to test it out for yourselves, just go to: Denise - Enhance your Creativity to download the trial. I've included quite a detailed description of the plug-in below, also feel free to ask any questions in the thread.

Description:

The Denise Saturator is a lightweight but powerful saturation plug-in for adding colour and depth to individual tracks and bus-groups. Its deceptively straightforward interface gets you results fasts, but don't be fooled: the plug-in features continuous ‘transients’ and ‘smooth’ controls that provide you with a flexible and intuitive way to let through the transients in your track and emulate the pleasing smooth sound of tape hysteresis. Together with its different timbre styles, and auto-makeup and stereo-link options, the Denise Saturator gives you many ways to shape your sound, with minimal CPU load.

DRIVE (0% to 100%):

Drives the signal into the saturation transfer curve. Set at 0%, the plug-in is fully transparent.

INPUT (-24dB to 24dB):

Input gain that lets you boost or attenuate the signal going in, giving you more control over the saturation amount.

OUTPUT (-24dB to 24dB):

Output gain to manually compensate for the volume boost created by the drive function.

TRANSIENTS (0% to 100%):

Attack applied to the Saturator's internal side-chain, allowing you to let through the transients in your track.

SMOOTH (0% to 100%):

Release applied to the Saturator's internal side-chain, allowing you to smooth out the saturation and emulate tape hysteresis.

STYLE (dark / natural / bright):

A menu that lets you choose different saturation timbres, allowing you to shape the tonal balance of the saturation.

LINK (on/off):

A switch that allows you to link the left and right channel saturation, allowing you to preserve the stereo image of your track.

SAFE (on/off):

A switch that turns on a smooth brickwall limiter at the end of the internal processing chain, making sure no clipping will occur.

USE CASES:

1. "You are trying to distort a drum track or percussive synth lead, but killing your track's transients in the process." Most saturation and distortion plugins will reduce transients and take the live out of your track. The Denise Saturator features a continuous ‘Transients’ control, allowing you to let through the transients in your track unharmed.

2. "You like the sound of a particular saturator, but it's either sounding too harsh or too smooth, without any features to help out." Most saturators feature just one 'drive' control, and some switches to change the saturation style. Besides the different standard style options on the Denise Saturator, it features a continuous ‘Smooth’ control, that allows you to adjust the smoothness of the saturation from extreme distortion to smooth tape style saturation, independent of the 'Drive' control.

3. "You use saturation a lot in your productions to add flavor, but all plugin instances amount to a huge CPU load." Many saturators utilize convoluted and CPU-heavy algorithms to get their specific sound. Due to its clever 'Transients' and 'Smooth' features, the Denise Saturator is very flexible but at the same time extremely efficient on the CPU, allowing for many many instances.
Attached Thumbnails
Denise announces the launch of the "Saturator"-saturator-2x.jpg  
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

I think this sounds pretty good actually, sounded great on drums where I dialed in about 35% saturation, took "Safe" off and lowered the output to match the peaks with the original audio (so I wasn't fooled by the "louder is better" trick). Yeah, big and fat.

Some observations:
Registering on your website gave me an error ("Couldn't register account" or similar) but I got the emails.
The "Style" option is nice but way too extreme - a slider from bright to dark with natural in the middle would be more useful.
An auto-gain facility where it could lower the output to keep the peak output would be very useful - pushing the plugin into the built-in limiter is just fooling the ears

But other than that, very nice. I liked the "Smooth" option very much, and yes, very low CPU usage (I got 0.4%).
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Looks interesting, what are the trial limitations?
Old 24th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
Looks interesting, what are the trial limitations?
Looks like 7 days.
Old 25th July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I think this sounds pretty good actually, sounded great on drums where I dialed in about 35% saturation, took "Safe" off and lowered the output to match the peaks with the original audio (so I wasn't fooled by the "louder is better" trick). Yeah, big and fat.

Some observations:
Registering on your website gave me an error ("Couldn't register account" or similar) but I got the emails.
The "Style" option is nice but way too extreme - a slider from bright to dark with natural in the middle would be more useful.
An auto-gain facility where it could lower the output to keep the peak output would be very useful - pushing the plugin into the built-in limiter is just fooling the ears

But other than that, very nice. I liked the "Smooth" option very much, and yes, very low CPU usage (I got 0.4%).
Thanks for your feedback cprompt and I'm pleased you like the Saturator, we can take your recommendations for a version 2.0 of the plug-in.

Joe.
Old 26th July 2018
M2E
Lives for gear

I really love this plugin. Different enough then anything I have and very low on cpu which I love. Most of all, it's 32 bit! I will be picking this up!

Great job!!!!

Marc
Old 26th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post

Some observations:

Auto-gain non ear foolery standardly!
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Addict

This guy is a breath of fresh air when you tired of different vintage emulations and so on. Very flexible and interesting plug.
It's shaper, saturator and transient designer in one piece.
very good
Old 27th July 2018 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
Auto-gain non ear foolery standardly!
I agree but think about all the years of ear foolery with Analog Gear. Pushing gear ala tube, tape etc to make it saturate and then to level back out and/or gain stage. We've been going through this our whole lives.

Anyway, great plugin...

Marc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I really love this plugin. Different enough then anything I have and very low on cpu which I love. Most of all, it's 32 bit! I will be picking this up!

Great job!!!!

Marc
Marc... I’m glad you found a new plugin that’s 32 but man! I’m always a little sad when a new one comes out that everybody’s shouting about and then you pop in and ask about 32bit.

#Resist !
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Marc... I’m glad you found a new plugin that’s 32 but man! I’m always a little sad when a new one comes out that everybody’s shouting about and then you pop in and ask about 32bit.

#Resist !
So, I'm totally confused about your comment. So I've let it be known that I can use 32 bit plugins for my mix system and this one is 32 bit and I say I like it and you are upset if I said it's 32 bit too. I'm sure it's 64 bit for you too man.
You've got to be kidding? Are you serious?

Anyway, this plugin is really good. I see this is a new company and as long as they continue to make good plugins and their 32 bit as well as 64 bit, I will buy and support and promote. Nothing wrong with that here. Can't wait to try your compressor next.

Great job Denise Audio!!!

Marc
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I'm totally confused about your comment. So I've let it be known that I can use 32 bit plugins for my mix system and this one is 32 bit and I say I like it and you are upset if I said it's 32 bit too. I'm sure it's 64 bit for you too man.
You've got to be kidding? Are you serious?

Anyway, this plugin is really good. I see this is a new company and as long as they continue to make good plugins and their 32 bit as well as 64 bit, I will buy and support and promote. Nothing wrong with that here. Can't wait to try your compressor next.

Great job Denise Audio!!!

Marc
Marc you took it wrong... I was being serious not making fun... it seems like you’re “termed out” with a lot of the relas s being 64 bit only... just happy that a dev is looking out is all...

Jeez man
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Marc you took it wrong... I was being serious not making fun... it seems like you’re “termed out” with a lot of the relas s being 64 bit only... just happy that a dev is looking out is all...

Jeez man
Sorry man, I apologize if I came off wrong but it sounded like you were trippin on the fact about me asking about 32 bit.

Fact's with me and my team right now: On my Mix system/setup, we still use Pro Tools HD. Hell, we still use RTAS and TDM and love it.
We do have a Logic Pro X setup for doing tracks but, we don't buy mix style plugins for that setup. Mainly Soft Synths and Sounds etc.

On the Mix Setup, we get all mixing type plugins ala Compressors, EQ's, Saturators, Wideners, Effects, Reverbs etc. We spend anywhere between 3k to 5k on Mixing style plugins every year as we need the write off's. Plus any other gear hardware wise ala Repair, new computer Mic's etc.
So, for me and my team, we are always looking for the next cool, different sounding, quicker to get to what we hear plugin and if I feel something will get me there fast, I'll buy it as I do all the mixing on this end.

So, with that said, when there is new plugins, the first thing I need to know is, "Is it 32 bit compatible?" if so, cool. Now demo it, if like, buy it.
Before, I would just buy plugins if I thought they were cool or did something different, looked cool etc. That was the wrong way of doing things.
That's why we are 750+ plugins in, paid for and just sitting there unless someone in a session says, "hey I use this plugin, do you guys have it?" and of course we're like, "I'm sure we do" LOL...

Anyway, we own most plugins but when we or I come across a plugin I don't have or it doesn't sound like anything we have, I perk up, and I go deep into the plugin, A/B it against what we have and if I think we need it, I buy it. That also goes for old TDM/RTAS plugins too which we've re-bought lately ala EMI TG 12413 & RS127, Focusrite Red 2 & 3 & Older PSP RTAS plugins.

So of course now, with some companies going to 64bit, I/We rely on 32 bit style plugins to keep us current and having fun. I'm glad to see most companies still doing 32 bit, PA, Fabfilter, Arturia, Audio Thing, BRA, Cytomic, Eventide, DMG, Empirical Labs, Focusrite, Hornet, Klanghelm, LSR, Lindell, Nomad Factory, Slate Denise etc...

The one's that gave up and went only 64 bit, I understand and it's all good. I still have a ton of 32 bit plugin companies I can spend my money with and support and I will continue to do that. Unfortunately I won't be in those chat's that are only 64 bit plugins anymore unless it's a Soft Synth or some type of Sound Pack.

I hope this clears up any confusion going forth on why.

Again, I apologize for taking it the wrong way. We are good here!

Marc
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Great job!!!!

Marc
This is music to our ears, thanks a lot for your feedback.
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise.Audio View Post
This is music to our ears, thanks a lot for your feedback.
Absolutely! Just purchased. Keep it up.

Marc
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

So I liked your plug-in enough to buy it. Small suggestion, please consider using an actual business name (or one of the principles names) on your paypal account. Also possibly refrain from filling out the customer data during the order process with fake name and address data (prior to the customer), your name, your address, etc should probably suffice.

It all looks kinda shady from the customer POV (imo anyway).
Enough to make me consider whether I had been redirected somehow.

It 'is' all legit, I'm Just sayin...

-Cheers
Old 28th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree but think about all the years of ear foolery with Analog Gear. Pushing gear ala tube, tape etc to make it saturate and then to level back out and/or gain stage. We've been going through this our whole lives.

Anyway, great plugin...

Marc
I know right but after 20+ years of compressing things, I'm still amazed at how much better and quicker I dial it in with a bit of loudness auto-gain.

50% of the time I'm better off without that compressor punched in...I've been fooling myself for years!

But no more! I'm now the auto-gain police....every company I beta for is getting an earfull...lol
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
I know right but after 20+ years of compressing things, I'm still amazed at how much better and quicker I dial it in with a bit of loudness auto-gain.

50% of the time I'm better off without that compressor punched in...I've been fooling myself for years!

But no more! I'm now the auto-gain police....every company I beta for is getting an earfull...lol
Yeah same here. What I also love about this plugin is the Auto Limit for the output. Make things so much more easy when mixing. You never have to worry about overs or pushing the track limits.

Denise: Please make it so the output "db" controls the limit no matter what volume you set it. That would help a lot with A/B'ing with out with the plugin and fast implementation when mixing. You can set the output on how loud you need the sound, set the amount with Saturate then set the Transient/Smooth and go.
Makes our jobs much easier.

Hope this helps,

Marc
Lives for gear

This sounds great. But, no way to get an AGC like in the video, huh?
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Nut

very nice (bought it).
+1 for a slider to blend the 3 alghoritms
And, please, an easy one... a mix knob!
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

This does look cool.
I like the music/sounds in the demo video
Old 30th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
very nice (bought it).

+1 on all accounts
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Hey guys,

So I liked your plug-in enough to buy it. Small suggestion, please consider using an actual business name (or one of the principles names) on your paypal account. Also possibly refrain from filling out the customer data during the order process with fake name and address data (prior to the customer), your name, your address, etc should probably suffice.

It all looks kinda shady from the customer POV (imo anyway).
Enough to make me consider whether I had been redirected somehow.

It 'is' all legit, I'm Just sayin...

-Cheers
Hi pekbro, thanks for your feedback. We've updated the PayPal so that it includes the company name. Although we are a bit confused about what this means:

"possibly refrain from filling out the customer data during the order process with fake name and address data (prior to the customer), your name, your address, etc should probably suffice."

If you can elaborate a bit we can look into a way to fix this issue too.

Many thanks
Joe from Denise.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
very nice (bought it).
Thanks a lot for your purchase. This is a common bit of feedback we are receiving and it has been passed on the developer, we're talking about the possibility of this feature now.

Best,
Joe from Denise.
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Demo'd it and it's interesting! Couple of remarks:

- The Drive is too heavy-handed for a saturator. Almost exactly double the range what I'd find usable. I'd like some kind of "/2" toggle that halves the range and so doubles the resolution.

- The meter also has way too much range. I find the 6 db mark is the max you'd want to hit so the rest is really wasted space.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise.Audio View Post
Hi pekbro, thanks for your feedback. We've updated the PayPal so that it includes the company name. Although we are a bit confused about what this means:

"possibly refrain from filling out the customer data during the order process with fake name and address data (prior to the customer), your name, your address, etc should probably suffice."

If you can elaborate a bit we can look into a way to fix this issue too.

Many thanks
Joe from Denise.
Certainly, it sounds like I was mistaken and there was some sort of an error.

Specifically: When I loaded the page with the form for address data, all
of the fields were filled in with what looked like bogus data.
IIRC, the name read johny winter (spelled incorrectly) and the address fields were all populated.

I had to replace the data with my own to complete the order.

I found it disconcerting because I didn't know where it came from.
I assumed you folks. I knew definitely it was not autofill.
I also thought it might have been left by someone previously ordering with
bogus data for some reason, and I wondered if my own data would be secure.
Although, I ruled that out as being unlikely

In the end I thought maybe you guys were trying to be funny because of the name that was used
and your choice of an account name for paypal. However, since my browser reported security as ok,
I went ahead with the order. I did specifically choose paypal because of this, when mostly I don't
use them due to their fees.

Anyway, that's what happened.

-Cheers

BTW: thanks for the the consideration regarding the paypal account name thing.
IMO a business name is much more professional and eliminates any possible confusion.
Old 31st July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Certainly, it sounds like I was mistaken and there was some sort of an error.

Specifically: When I loaded the page with the form for address data, all
of the fields were filled in with what looked like bogus data.
IIRC, the name read johny winter (spelled incorrectly) and the address fields were all populated.

I had to replace the data with my own to complete the order.

I found it disconcerting because I didn't know where it came from.
I assumed you folks. I knew definitely it was not autofill.
I also thought it might have been left by someone previously ordering with
bogus data for some reason, and I wondered if my own data would be secure.
Although, I ruled that out as being unlikely

In the end I thought maybe you guys were trying to be funny because of the name that was used
and your choice of an account name for paypal. However, since my browser reported security as ok,
I went ahead with the order. I did specifically choose paypal because of this, when mostly I don't
use them due to their fees.

Anyway, that's what happened.

-Cheers

BTW: thanks for the the consideration regarding the paypal account name thing.
IMO a business name is much more professional and eliminates any possible confusion.
Thank you for your feedback Pekbro and thanks for taking the time to report the this in detail. Yes, the field population was input by us, although that has been removed now. Also, as you have said, we have updated the Paypal to include the name of the company too. So we hope these changes add a sense of security about the company.

When it comes to card payments, everything is handled securely by the service Stripe: Stripe - Online payment processing for internet businesses | United Kingdom. This is a service trusted by many well know internet brands so you can guarantee a completely secure payment processing.

I hope you enjoy your new plug-in, and look out for the next release coming very soon.

Joe from Denise.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Again Joe, thanks very much for the consideration. With both vendors
and consumers being equally targeted by scammers in todays electronic
economy, I think it very important that online points of sale be as transparent
as possible for the protection of both parties.

Just the other day @ KVR, some were discussing an elaborate online music
store filled to the brim with 'too good to be true' bargains, aside from
a few easily overlooked details, one could easily be fooled by the sheer complexity
and scale of the trap.

Anyway, its the small details like these that often make a difference.

I look forward to checking out any upcoming products for Denise.

-Cheers
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Head

This is a great little plugin! Even though the different color mods are pretty extreme, I'm finding uses for them to solve different issues.
Old 4th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artean View Post
This is a great little plugin! Even though the different color mods are pretty extreme, I'm finding uses for them to solve different issues.
YEa...bought it and really like it.

I would much prefer a slider for Bright-Natural-Dark.
📝 Reply