The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKnote announce "Deluxe1" - Guitar Amplifier (Retube series)
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

SKnote announce "Deluxe1" - Guitar Amplifier (Retube series)

"Deluxe1" is our first release in the guitar world and also one of the devices in our new "Retube" range of component-level models of tube devices.

A detailed emulation of an old, simple, beautiful guitar amplifier, the cone/cabinet and the microphones in front (and sometimes on the back) of it.

This is a quick video with the amplifier slightly overdriven on an electric guitar.

Features:

- Carefully modeled, component-level amplifier, with options for tube sets.
- Models of guitar pick-ups (modern and vintage materials).
- Internal Tremolo.
- Several choices of microphone models and positions.

The sound is also processed through our upcoming "StereoScanner", an emulation of a pair of our Vibrato Scanners from Hammond organs, mounted and interfaced for a wide palette of unique (and we think lovely) sounds. You can see/hear it being engaged and bypassed in the video.

***Edit

While testing the final version candidate for release, we had some fun in the studio with Sergio playing a Telecaster through two alternating super-bright settings of Deluxe1, one clean/slightly-driven and one strongly overdriven:

Deluxe1_Telecaster_bright-settings

Released in a few days as VST/AU/AAX with an introductory MSRP 29.99$

NOTE: who wrote answering to our search for guitar players should have received a response from Mirko. Please check spam or write again to mirko at sknoteaudio dot com if you didn't hear from him.

Last edited by quintosardo; 7th August 2018 at 04:31 PM..
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Maniac

The specs and price look good. I don't know that the demo video does it justice. Wouldn't have hurt to tune the guitar first. But congrats.
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

I love "casual" demos, like at home. Sound more real
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpl View Post
Wouldn't have hurt to tune the guitar first.
Well, if it's anything like my guitar, having is slightly out of tune certainly makes it more realistic.

This sounds lovely, be interested to hear how it sounds with more gain. So, Quinto, you say this is your first release in your "Guitar World", what else do you have lined up? You can tell us, we'll keep it a secret
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

We did some low gain because I think it is the most difficult to make sound good.

About more things for guitars, our set of pedals is coming, including a few special ones like the Hammond Scanner Vibrato you can hear in this video (in a twisted use, because it is post-amp here, to get its stereo-output).
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

I'd like to know how the cabinet emulation is done? eg IR or ?

thx
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

There’s a saying that goes... You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Something to think about.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post

thx
No IRs, the cabinet is physical models, more dynamic. I don't like simple IRs for anything at all, they are just a static EQ.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
There’s a saying that goes... You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Something to think about.
It depends on what you look at. Marketing shots don't go far. Giving naked, simple, real and often casual examples has always taken us far. Slowly but very, very far. And steadily. This is what I think about

Anything more specific?
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post

thx
To be a bit more specific, the movement of the cone is computed based on physical parameters. They are computed analysing the results of measurement of movement, done through acoustic and optical means, at different levels of pressure. IRs are used as an additional target constraint to tune the parameters.

It sounds complicated, the bottom line is that we don't hear that "a fixed EQ constraining my sound" effect.
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
No IRs, the cabinet is physical models, more dynamic. I don't like simple IRs for anything at all, they are just a static EQ.
This man gets it
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends on what you look at. Marketing shots don't go far. Giving naked, simple, real and often casual examples has always taken us far. Slowly but very, very far. And steadily. This is what I think about

Anything more specific?
Sometimes it’s a little like ‘How long is a piece of string?’
Of course simple honest direct marketing is very often the most effective way of getting a message across but to be honest - and it’s certainly just my opinion - this video just seemed to miss an opportunity in showing the product in a better light. I do like your stuff though
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

You know what? Technician's, developer's, programmer's, perspective is often too far from user's one. It is an important concept I often forget.

I can hear so many things in this example, from a model we've been working on for so looong, but I forget that "perspective" thing and actually sounds bad and boring, ah ah!

But I really love it and what it is saying to me
I hear the paper of the cone, I don't hear IRs forcing the response, I hear the vintage "liquid" vibrato (added post-amp), I hear the break-up of the light overdrive. All things I've been missing so far.

No need to say, this is an announcement. You'll get nice riffs with a tuned guitar when it is announced as released (which is happening in a couple days)

Last edited by quintosardo; 17th July 2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Addict

Personally this demo showed enough to pique my interest and want to hear more.

I like how it was doing that dirty clean thing, I also like the sound of those stereo scanners.

Be interesting to hear how this reacts to hardware overdrive pedals.

Good stuff
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

We are looking at getting Amplitube 4 because it seems a great system for and effects simulation.

But others we have tried here sounded great, too... at least in the demos.

Is there a demo available for this, so we can evaluate it before spending more money on Amplitube?
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it and we'll provide what we have.

IK multimedia has that Italian feeling, love that brand
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice, the amount of cabinet emulations out there can count on one hand. Very few that I know of. Even pedals are are now doing emulation with IR's.
Interesting.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

We had some fun with a Telecaster today, direct and also through some hardware pedal, to hear how the amp behaves in that common situation. Cleaning up and uploading something.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Nut

a standalone cabinet emulation where you have the sound possibilities of different cabs would be really awsome! IRs are limited...
Old 19th July 2018
Here for the gear

How about some licensed Brunetti amps and cabs?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Agreed!
One serious point has to be understood, though:

the "pickup-preamp-tonestack-powerstage-outputtrafo-cabinet+cone" chain has to be a whole for some serious emulation and natural response.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavbass View Post
How about some licensed Brunetti amps and cabs?
I'd love that, great idea. We can try to contact them. You know they are Italian, right?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
We had some fun with a Telecaster today, direct and also through some hardware pedal, to hear how the amp behaves in that common situation. Cleaning up and uploading something.
Exciting! Looking forward to hear some more samples. I would love a nice Fender amp emu
Old 19th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'd love that, great idea. We can try to contact them. You know they are Italian, right?
Yes
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

While testing the final version candidate for release, we had some fun in the studio with Sergio playing a Telecaster through two alternating super-bright settings of Deluxe1, one clean/slightly-driven and one strongly overdriven:

Deluxe1_Telecaster_bright-settings
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

There is one very interesting detail about the Fender Deluxe and how Neil Young uses it (and only it?).

One peculiarity of this amplifier is how its second Volume control, when not used, has an effect on the internal working level. It is an interesting control on drive while playing. Looks like somebody had a pedal mounted in place of the second pot.

So we added a MIDI input for an expression pedal, to control the second channel (net effect: control the internal level, so the drive) while playing. It is a great feature we are loving here.
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds great!
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

I've done some testing of the new version of Deluxe1, that has the Tone control active now.

I compared it to the Deluxe amp in the Fender 2 collection in Amplitube 4, and the Deluxe1 sounds great.

The Tone can really open up and brighten the sound in a pleasing way.

The only thing that is different, compared to the the Amplitube 4 version, is the "room" sound is a wee bit different.... but not an issue to me.

The only think that bothers me is the tremolo doesn't sound as real/good/useful as I remember I had on a real Fender Princeton amp I once had.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Bruce! :D

Crazy, actually the tremolo made our favourite guitar shop owner happy compared to his Princeton! Probably because it is a "real one" like in the original circuits. It modulates the power supply of the final stage, so it is completely different from a preamp-tremolo like in other topologies or (of course) some modern tremolo put in front of the amp. I guess it is time for some side-by-side tests.
Actually the tremolo is from the Princeton. We added it to the basic Deluxe (that hadn't one in its old, revered version) just because it couldn't harm (just disable it for a faithful Deluxe) but made it a bit more versatile. Maybe we could set a wider range?

Room: no room in this model, so you are hearing the cone through the mic in a anechoic chamber. Needs a room around it.

We are wondering if we should add a room before the release or better leave it outside (and use whatever external ambience/reverb).

What do you think?
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Addict

I think leave the room out of it. Unless it's a super realistic room simulation or a high quality IR captured in a studio room it's not worth it, and both options will bloat the plugin with CPU demands and also likely to increase latency.

How much control is there on microphone positioning?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search