The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha releases comprehensive Vocal Synthesis Software VOCALOID 5
Old 13th July 2018
News Desk Editor

Yamaha releases comprehensive Vocal Synthesis Software VOCALOID 5

Yamaha releases comprehensive Vocal Synthesis Software VOCALOID 5-v5_screencapture1.jpg

Yamaha releases Comprehensive Vocal Synthesis Software VOCALOID 5

Yamaha Corporation today released VOCALOID 5, a comprehensive solution for virtual vocal production. This new software can be downloaded, beginning today, from the official VOCALOID Shop.

“VOCALOID 5 adds virtual vocalists to your music production environment. They can sing your lyrics and melodies in your favorite voices and desired singing styles. Enjoy the experience of being able to edit singing voices however you like” says Yoichiro Saito, General Manager, DMI Division of Yamaha Corporation.
The VOCALOID singing synthesizer makes it possible to easily produce any kind of singing voice you can imagine using just a computer.

For this product, the first new version of the VOCALOID software range released in 4 years, production flow has been drastically overhauled in line with the aim of having today’s diverse music producers incorporate a wider line-up of virtual singers into their music. This new software helps increases speed and efficiency when producing singing voices.

The all new production flow makes it possible to create singing voices as simply as dragging and dropping from a choice of over 2,000 audio and phrase presets. Adjusting singing styles and vocal expressions such as vibrato are also simple to master – just select the icons. It’s possible to create lyrics and melodies from scratch too. With a total of 3 new parameters to control vocal expressions added (making a total of 13), in addition to the standard dynamic and pitch parameters, VOCALOID5 offers finer control of vocal tone, amount of breath, and more. The software also comes pre-loaded with 11 powerful audio effects for vocal tracks, making this product the only one you’ll need for creative work.

To help support artistic expression that suits a wide variety of genres, VOCALOID5 includes 4 voicebanks*, both male and female and in both Japanese and English.

Moreover, to accommodate the diverse workstations of contemporary music producers, VOCALOID5 supports both Windows and Mac operating environments. The ability to coordinate with other music software, plug-ins, and input devices has also been significantly strengthened by allowing VST (Virtual Studio Technology), AU (Audio Units), and external MIDI input capability.
Contemporary music software designed to be a total solution for virtual vocal production in a single application – this is VOCALOID5.

*The voice databases are generated based on human voices. Various voices are available to use via switching voicebanks. *8 voicebanks are included in the Premium version.

For more information visit: VOCALOID ( ボーカロイド・ボカロ ) 公式サイト
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha releases comprehensive Vocal Synthesis Software VOCALOID 5-v5_screencapture1.jpg  
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Nut

Why pay millions of dollars to a teenager pop star who sings like a synth if you can pay just 43,200円 for a synth who sings like a teenager pop star, right? Soon enough the mainstream music business will dump humans altogether in favor of this kind of tech coupled with some sort of pseudo-holographic stage projection system. Most pop stars nowadays are just shells, anyway. It wouldn't make any difference, artistically speaking. lol
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

I really hate all those little voices and vocal snippits in today's trap and edm music. This Vocaloid software as Output's plug is the source of this crap.
Irritating
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Head

Personally think this looks amazing, mind blowing even, just thinking about the sound design possibilities, especially using some of my favourite sound manglers.

Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMorgan View Post
Why pay millions of dollars to a teenager pop star who sings like a synth if you can pay just 43,200円 for a synth who sings like a teenager pop star, right? Soon enough the mainstream music business will dump humans altogether in favor of this kind of tech coupled with some sort of pseudo-holographic stage projection system. Most pop stars nowadays are just shells, anyway. It wouldn't make any difference, artistically speaking. lol
You forgot to add that synthesizers and drum machines are taking away jobs from real musicians.
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Already happening in Japan and the Far East. This is from 2011:

Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

beware, for vocaloid 4, the stand-alone and plugin versions are separate products.
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ha ha, there is truth in that.
More so every day.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Despite the fact that synthetic vocal snippets have become part of the pop edm landscape that’s not going away anytime soon, this thing just sounds bad. OK! If you want to do J Pop or just use it for an effect fine! But as a vocal replacement software it just plain sucks.... And let’s man up to our own prejudices and admit that somebody like J.Bieber is actually a very good singer.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepone View Post
Personally think this looks amazing, mind blowing even, just thinking about the sound design possibilities, especially using some of my favourite sound manglers.

I agree that this can definitely be used creatively to create things not humanly possible to sing. It also seems that with a lot of work, it can even sound pretty close to an overly tuned crap singer as well. And sometimes that is all i need to present a song to a girl singer. My falsetto shrieking is definitely not as good as what comes out of this software. Now bring me a swedish and danish language version! :D:D:D
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
You forgot to add that synthesizers and drum machines are taking away jobs from real musicians.
Not aimed directly at @squeege, but there are musicians that wouldn't take particular jobs, even if they were available to do the work.

Synthesizers are real instruments played by real musicians, just look at the work of the likes of Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman.

Further, online shopping is putting local shops out of business.... so, kill the internet?
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Not aimed directly at @squeege, but there are musicians that wouldn't take particular jobs, even if they were available to do the work.

Synthesizers are real instruments played by real musicians, just look at the work of the likes of Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman.

Further, online shopping is putting local shops out of business.... so, kill the internet?
I actually agree with you. My statement was an attempt at sarcasm/satire.
When Gary Numan started out making synthesizer-based music in ‘79, the British musicians’ union tried to get him banned because he was “taking away musicians’ jobs.” Here is a quote from him:
“The Musicians' Union tried to ban me, and ban synthesizers, which is a bit like trying to stop a bulldozer with your hand.”

Last edited by Squeegee 303; 18th July 2018 at 12:22 AM..
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I agree that this can definitely be used creatively to create things not humanly possible to sing. It also seems that with a lot of work, it can even sound pretty close to an overly tuned crap singer as well. And sometimes that is all i need to present a song to a girl singer. My falsetto shrieking is definitely not as good as what comes out of this software. Now bring me a swedish and danish language version! :D:D:D
No matter how hard I try, always end up sounding like a walrus, love how synthetic this sounds, but would definitely wear thin, like autotune if overused, my jaw hit the floor though when he typed in different words in the demo.

I'd love to see a whisper mode and synthetic dub pack, wheeeeeel....
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head

What about using something like this for reference tracks? What if you submitted a track to (add industry person here), do you think that it would be dismissed out of hand because you used Vocaloid instead of an actual singer, if it was a great song otherwise?
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterphoneman View Post
What about using something like this for reference tracks? What if you submitted a track to (add industry person here), do you think that it would be dismissed out of hand because you used Vocaloid instead of an actual singer, if it was a great song otherwise?
I imagine you would spend considerable time programming vocaloid to your liking.
It may be more time efficient to have someone sing it. Even from websites like fiver you can find nice vocals with a low pricetag.

But in the end, you decide what you think sounds best.
Old 24th July 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:

Nice subliminal messaging right there.

"I am not afraid".

You should be.

Old 24th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

Now that I've watched the demo, it seems like that robot really needs to see a speech therapist...

I'm not sure if this might be the psychological effect of knowing this program is originally Japanese only, but she sounds like someone singing in English with a Japanese accent.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head

Btw this app is also coming out soon. The English sounds better on this one IMHO. I believe it was designed from the ground up in English.

Emvoice - Next-gen vocal synthesis
Emvoice | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Nice subliminal messaging right there.

"I am not afraid".

You should be.

They're getting us prepped for vocaloid 7 with optional neocortex link, then the majesty that will be vocaloid 8 with human output add on, "vocaloid used to sing like you, now for the first time, you sing like vocaloid".
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Now that I've watched the demo, it seems like that robot really needs to see a speech therapist...

I'm not sure if this might be the psychological effect of knowing this program is originally Japanese only, but she sounds like someone singing in English with a Japanese accent.
I could see voice print technology being added down the line, feed it acapellas or microphone input to train it, kind of like a more advanced version of adobe voco.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search