The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin
Old 20th July 2019
  #1111
Lives for gear
 
denork's Avatar
I liked the 111c so much that I had to ride some real ones. Total cost of the investment € 430 and an afternoon of crafts.
Attached Thumbnails
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-12f847fa-1359-48c1-968c-2ee8553277e9.jpg   Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-e865c74d-1539-4f53-8933-fc8ceb3124be.jpg   Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-f2237f61-c522-4892-b4b2-a39a1c735fdf.jpg   Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-whatsapp-image-2019-07-19-11.51.09.jpg  
Old 20th July 2019
  #1112
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I liked the 111c so much that I had to ride some real ones. Total cost of the investment € 430 and an afternoon of crafts.
How does it compare to the plugin?
Old 20th July 2019
  #1113
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
How does it compare to the plugin?
I bet it smells better.
Old 21st July 2019
  #1114
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'd add Fuse, Kush and U-he to that list too but yeah, it's a small handful of companies that can put out quality products, but still manage the business side of things with enough respect for their customers that the threads don't quickly descend into chaos. Kazrog is one of them. True Iron is my only Kazrog product at the moment, but I'm sure it won't be my last.
Yep fuse kush are top players i wasn t talking quality , but brands that have the less negative talk ...like none ...for'exemple i do think uhe rules but we also had some concern and reqiest , zebra behind one of them ...but yep i would add those without porblem
Old 21st July 2019
  #1115
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I liked the 111c so much that I had to ride some real ones. Total cost of the investment € 430 and an afternoon of crafts.
Is it that defined in lows or does it roll off more than the plugin ( i suspect?!)
Old 21st July 2019
  #1116
Lives for gear
 
denork's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
How does it compare to the plugin?
Different, these closer to the mid-hi and I also feel that I gain volume, true iron is more subtle. This does not mean that one is better or worse, for example in another track where I did tests I did not like what they did. I will use true iron for individual tracks and these will be used in the masterbus.
Old 21st July 2019
  #1117
Lives for gear
 

Congratulations Shane on the TEC Award nomination!!! Very well deserved. True Iron is amazing!!
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1118
Here for the gear
 

Just finding True Iron now, and I'm having the darndest time hearing a meaningful difference (or any difference) after matching volume.

I suppose this is one of those plugins you stick on every channel in a big mix and the difference accumulates?

How do you guys choose which transformer to use with the effect being so subtle? Stick it on 50 channels and then go thru each one and change models?
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1119
Lives for gear
Basically, crush the audio like crazy until you hear obvious distortion, flip between the different models until it fits the source right, adjust Strength to taste, then uncrush it until you have something you find pleasant / sonically useful. Rinse and repeat ^^
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1120
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
Just finding True Iron now, and I'm having the darndest time hearing a meaningful difference (or any difference) after matching volume.

I suppose this is one of those plugins you stick on every channel in a big mix and the difference accumulates?

How do you guys choose which transformer to use with the effect being so subtle? Stick it on 50 channels and then go thru each one and change models?
Exaggerate the drive until you hear the difference, pick the transformer that sounds best to you, then back off the drive until you barely can hear any difference.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1121
Gear Maniac
 
Calagan's Avatar
 

There's a new price for True Iron, following the namm nomination.
On sale for the moment at 40$, but soon it will be 60$.

I didn't buy it during the last sale, because I was not sure I needed another saturation tool (I've got Satson, VPRE-73, SDRR, Decapitator, radiator, VSM-3...).

It sounds great on some sources (drums), quite subtle on most others. I didn't test it yet in a mixing situation where I put it here and there.

What do you think about how it compares to Satson or VPRE-73 ?
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1122
Lives for gear
When it comes to saturation (versus say straight up overdrive/distortion/fuzz) True Iron is the only plugin I use these days. It's basically replaced all others.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1123
Gear Maniac
 
Calagan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
When it comes to saturation (versus say straight up overdrive/distortion/fuzz) True Iron is the only plugin I use these days. It's basically replaced all others.
What others plugins (if I may ask) ?
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1124
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
What others plugins (if I may ask) ?
If I just wanted some saturation or a desk sound, I'd use things like (checks plugin folder): VCC, V-Pre73, Kush Omegas (the 458A I still use when I want a more tube-y/pillowy vibe), the various SoundToys saturation plugins, and various other console plugins.

Why? It's not 100% the sound if I'm being honest...True Iron sounds great no doubt, but so do most of the others. It's mostly about workflow. Some of those one-off preamp type plugins leave me feeling like "oh, maybe another type of transformer/pre/console will work better here." So I get stuck in an audition loop. True Iron has been working because I load it up, pick one of the 8 (or whatever) Transformers, drive it to taste and done. If I want to audition a different sound, I rotate the dial. So it's really about the combination of sound, options, and good workflow/UI layout that makes True Iron my go-to. It's just more efficient.

Now, if I want an SSL Channel with dynamics/EQ/etc., or a specific Neve channel+EQ vibe, etc. I'll use another plugin for that. But if I just want to add a bit of heat/depth/harmonics/whatever without much else, that's when I go to True Iron.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #1125
Lives for gear
 

There are saturators from Kush, Fuse, Black Rooster and a couple of others I still turn to because they do something specific I like. But True Iron is getting more and more use. It and IK's new tapes are almost certainly going to be used in every project I work on going into the foreseeable future.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1126
Lives for gear
Can True Iron be used as a soft clipper to get a few extra dBs going into a limiter?
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1127
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Can True Iron be used as a soft clipper to get a few extra dBs going into a limiter?
Good question!

It's generally not a soft clipper so much as it is a saturator - even when pushed, you won't get the kind of consistent transient shaving you'd want from a soft clipper. That's where KClip comes in.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1128
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
Good question!

It's generally not a soft clipper so much as it is a saturator - even when pushed, you won't get the kind of consistent transient shaving you'd want from a soft clipper. That's where KClip comes in.
How long is the sale going on for? I have TI, but I want KC to get louder.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1129
Gear Maniac
 
Calagan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How long is the sale going on for? I have TI, but I want KC to get louder.
Yep, it could be good to know how much time we can expect the sale to last...
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1130
Lives for gear
 
Kazrog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How long is the sale going on for? I have TI, but I want KC to get louder.
Current prices on the store will remain through the end of July. Just for you guys, though, I've made a special discount code for everyone in this thread, so you can save an additional 30% off KClip. The code is automatically pre-filled when you click the link (you see the discount after you hit "check out".)
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1131
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
A quick shout out to Synth Warmer, which I picked up for practically nothing when I bundled it with my TI.

I record a lot of DI guitar that gets mangled, much of it sounding 'synth-like' and Synth Warmer does a fantastic job of giving it that chewy analog bite. Great plugin.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1132
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
Current prices on the store will remain through the end of July. Just for you guys, though, I've made a special discount code for everyone in this thread, so you can save an additional 30% off KClip. The code is automatically pre-filled when you click the link (you see the discount after you hit "check out".)
Thank you very much!
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1133
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
Current prices on the store will remain through the end of July. Just for you guys, though, I've made a special discount code for everyone in this thread, so you can save an additional 30% off KClip. The code is automatically pre-filled when you click the link (you see the discount after you hit "check out".)
Oh snap. Glad I asked. Thanks so much.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #1134
Lives for gear
Just bought it, and like True Iron, would request a ton more presets while I'm learning how to use it. Preset names help me understand what setting combinations are doing. Thanks again.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1135
Lives for gear
 
denork's Avatar
Any update plan? It would be great to see some Triad HS-56
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1136
Gear Nut
 

Anyone using TI as Slate vcc or the new FrontDaw?
(first in chain on all tracks)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1137
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
Anyone using TI as Slate vcc or the new FrontDaw?
(first in chain on all tracks)
I always use it as the first insert. I look at it as a replacement for the iron that my recordings are missing. Therefore, it should go first.

Now, if I happen to use some transformer hardware before it reaches the converter, TI doesn't get used but Slate VCC does.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1138
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I always use it as the first insert. I look at it as a replacement for the iron that my recordings are missing. Therefore, it should go first.

Nice!, makes sense.

Now, if I happen to use some transformer hardware before it reaches the converter, TI doesn't get used but Slate VCC does.
Does TI replace preamps from the N4/Acqua land or do you use them in conjunction?

And which comes first for you in your insert chain?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1139
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelcruz View Post
Does TI replace preamps from the N4/Acqua land or do you use them in conjunction?

And which comes first for you in your insert chain?
It doesn't replace...it just really all depends on the track and my mood. Sometimes TI and no acqua preamp. Sometimes both are used. In my mix template, TI goes second after a gain plugin.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1140
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
It doesn't replace...it just really all depends on the track and my mood. Sometimes TI and no acqua preamp. Sometimes both are used. In my mix template, TI goes second after a gain plugin.
Cool, i’ll Sometimes throw it on a group bus as the first thing and a N4 gbus at the end.

I’ll start experimenting on audio tracks more now.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump