The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin Saturation Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Vet
Here for the gear

Great plugin, nice addition to ANY other plugin(s) in ANY setup. Gem!
+1 to grouping function.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet View Post
Great plugin, nice addition to ANY other plugin(s) in ANY setup. Gem!
+1 to grouping function.
I've said this earlier in the thread, but I'd like to reiterate that instance grouping is planned, but will take some time to develop and test across the myriad hosts and configurations out there.

The release of True Iron 1.2 was marred with some of the worst initial bugs that have made it into an actual Kazrog release in nearly a decade. With 1.2.2, I'm glad to have this behind me, but this experience has taught me a lot about what can go wrong, especially in the increasingly fragmented and fragile Apple ecosystem.

I'm conducting a full post mortem and developing some new testing procedures going forward. Unfortunately, with more extensive edge case and stress tests comes additional time between releases, but my hope is that this won't slow the release cycle down too much.

Thanks again to all of you on this forum for your help and understanding. Really excited to have True Iron 1.2.2 running so well everywhere now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Excellent plug...it really stands out in an ocean of saturators. It gives me the closest and most palpable sense of a transformer in a signal chain that I've heard in a virtual environment (except for perhaps Acustica, but that stuff is too cumbersome to work with thanks to how they chew up CPU cycles). Excellent work!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Its so refreshing to have a plug-in developer care so much about the quality, stability, and compatibility of their product.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bought this last night, love it. I had tried earlier versions of it a few times before and didn't really get it but this latest incarnation sounds really great. Tried it on the master bus and on vox, makes things sound bigger/rounder/sweeter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Its so refreshing to have a plug-in developer care so much about the quality, stability, and compatibility of their product.
+100

There are several other small shops who are becoming notorious for not giving two sh!ts about their product, nor customer support, nor their reputation (apparently), and they often fight with existing and potential customers. This positive behavior makes Kazrog stand tall above them, not to mention the fact that they have great plugins to stand up for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
quote-worthy

some hardware developers should note that quote too
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
I've said this earlier in the thread, but I'd like to reiterate that instance grouping is planned, but will take some time to develop and test across the myriad hosts and configurations out there.

The release of True Iron 1.2 was marred with some of the worst initial bugs that have made it into an actual Kazrog release in nearly a decade. With 1.2.2, I'm glad to have this behind me, but this experience has taught me a lot about what can go wrong, especially in the increasingly fragmented and fragile Apple ecosystem.

I'm conducting a full post mortem and developing some new testing procedures going forward. Unfortunately, with more extensive edge case and stress tests comes additional time between releases, but my hope is that this won't slow the release cycle down too much.

Thanks again to all of you on this forum for your help and understanding. Really excited to have True Iron 1.2.2 running so well everywhere now.
Is not working on my win3 cool edit pro 96 daw...

(Just kidding)

Great updates
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The noise issue from the Mix knob has finally been resolved in the latest update, thank God!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Works great here! This thing is bangin!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Please make also a tube AND tape plugin of the same quality!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
True Iron 1.2.2 - critical bug fix update - is being sent out to registered owners right now. The free demo will be updated shortly as well.

Changes in True Iron 1.2.2:
  • Fixed extreme level spike with wet/dry mix in Logic Pro X and Cubase 10 when using multiple instances of True Iron in series during live virtual instrument playback.
  • Fixed level inconsistencies in DNA mode affecting sample rates at or above 88.2 kHz
  • CPU efficiency and stability improvements
  • Updated SDKs and frameworks

Thanks again, and sorry for the issues in 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. Feeling much better now.
True Iron 1.2.2 is spiking in Studio one 4.1.3 now. I had to roll back to 1.2.1. as Loading previous projects with 1.2.2 on is spiking the plugin on every channel its insterted on in Windows 10 for me.

Last edited by Funksta; 4 weeks ago at 11:28 AM.. Reason: extra info
Old 4 weeks ago
I just bought this today after a couple days of demoing. I liked what I had heard, although the audio dropouts are an annoying way to test something (I'd prefer a week or two of fully-functioning, but I digress.)

Now I know this is not a proper test of the plugin... but I am currently setting up my mix template for a live album from the 70s of a classic rock act that starts on Monday. I just received the multitrack transfers and the recording is, well, just okay.

So, I thought I'd give True Iron a quick test by slapping an instance on every track and buss set to the Classic British Console preset. The preset comes in at unity, with DNA turned on and 100% mix... cool. I thought this might be an interesting test to see if it kinda feels like a Neve console when spread around liberally, or at least give me a taste of the vibe and add a little life to the tracks.

But when activating all the plugins on and off simultaneously the results are not what I'd expect. It's a much lower in overall level, thinner-sounding and, well, not very good. I expected fatter, and more sparkly...

Obviously, quieter comes across as "not as good," yes, I get it. But it's pretty far off from what I would expect. It sounds like there are some phase issues going on cancelling some things out in the lows. Not even close to something like running Slate VCC across everything and turning everything on and off together. Sure, in that case there's a slight level bump when on; but the frequency content and balance doesn't change nearly this drastically. I was hoping for a little more "instant gratification" with the preset.

I'm doing busy work setting up sessions for the mix today, so I'm really not in plugin test-mode; but I'd be curious if my experience is common and if anyone has any thoughts.

My apologies for not digging deeper into the plugin before posting what might come off as negative... it's not intended that way. I bought True Iron because when playing around with it I thought it was adding some nice color and saturation. In that case I was spending the time with each instrument and playing around with the settings and it sounded great. But there is an argument for not wanting to do that all the time (or even having the time to do that) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some improvements just by running everything though the same setting, especially a preset called Classic British Console.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
True Iron 1.2.2 is spiking in Studio one 4.1.3 now. I had to roll back to 1.2.1. as Loading previous projects with 1.2.2 on is spiking the plugin on every channel its insterted on in Windows 10 for me.
Hmm, that's not happening here or for anyone else I've talked to on the same DAW/OS combo. Open a support ticket when you get a chance so I can ask you some more specific questions. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
...I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some improvements just by running everything though the same setting, especially a preset called Classic British Console.
Thanks for your detailed post!

It may simply be the case of it not being the right preset for the material in question, the right approach, or both. You chose one of the most character-infused models out of the bunch (I was stunned when I first saw how those units measured), which may be great on some material but really not right on other material. "Improvements" are always subjective - we're always making some aspect louder at the expense of something else in terms of how it hits our ears.

I'd try the 111C and/or 4001B models if you're looking for a less dramatic change while still having some character added.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would also like to see a tube version plugin where you could choose various preamp tubes and power tubes, each for their unique mojo.

Voxengo's Warmifier does this quite well, as does Elysia Phil's Cascade.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Please make also a tube AND tape plugin of the same quality!!
Thanks!

KClip 3 offers tube and tape saturation models (among others) with variable softness contours. Give it a try and see if it's what you're after.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

It may simply be the case of it not being the right preset for the material in question, the right approach, or both. You chose one of the most character-infused models out of the bunch (I was stunned when I first saw how those units measured), which may be great on some material but really not right on other material. "Improvements" are always subjective - we're always making some aspect louder at the expense of something else in terms of how it hits our ears.

I'd try the 111C and/or 4001B models if you're looking for a less dramatic change while still having some character added.
Yes, after playing around a bit, I think it's just the nature of that particular preset/model.

I'll try some of the others as soon as time permits and report back.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

OK, in the interest of playing fair and not letting that sit too long... you were right.

The 1166A was just too colored in a way that did not work at all for this material. So, just as a quick test, I put 111Cs on all tracks and sub-busses pushed to 7.00 on the strength and the default 108X at 5.00 on all the main busses and master.

MUCH BETTER! All the things I would expect: louder, clearer, punchier, fuller, etc. (This isn't necessarily where I'm landing for my template... it's just a quick test to get a feel for how True Iron stacks up when spread around a lot.)

Yeah, sounding good... need to spend time learning it over the next few weeks.
Old 4 weeks ago
ukm
Gear Nut

I have crashes in Studio One too - otherwise a very fine tool.
I hope you can solve the problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

KClip 3 offers tube and tape saturation models (among others) with variable softness contours. Give it a try and see if it's what you're after.
Any chance of an apish flavor... cinemag trannys through 2520 opamps?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bought TI when it first came out. then for some weird reason sold my license, wow was I stupid!

....just to buy it again just now after demoing new version

staying with me this time. it's freakin' awesome!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I never purchased this, kind of forgot about it.. this is a really nice update, dna mode sounds great, I'll purchase it soon for sure.

Are there any plans to add an 0 latency - non oversampled option to it? My laptop is good but not great... so it would be amazing to have some cytomic-esque OS options on this. Then I could run it on every channel I like when making tracks, periodically check the OS if I feel like it to hear what it's doing... Options to turn on the oversampling per instance and globally would be very useful. Could have it set to oversample on render (having listened to it) for a quick way to bounce at it's highest quality.

Anyway I'm sure your feeling pretty over updates after sorting this one out, however I'm curious if this will be something that will happen as it would change the way I use it significantly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gain structure is wildly different on mix with this rev. Going to roll back until I can finish this edit.

Beware those with level bug...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

So, um... I don't know if this is a bug or what but I'm getting a soft kind of delay on clean subby kicks with DNA mode turned on, on at least one of the models (can't check all right now cos I've just frozen the track and it took a while to do so).

Acustica users who are familiar with the 'echo-bug', it is very similar to that.

It is easy to use a gate to clean it up but it disappears with DNA switched off.

I have decided to turn DNA off for the drums in this track to keep a coherent vibe.

Non-DNA is so great as well. Lovely and punchy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I lost my settings when i tried to copy A to B. Must be a bug too, i use PT 12 on Mac 10.10.5
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Just tried experiment for multiband true iron to get frequency dependent changing saturation and worked fine to me. still digging tho..
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-true_iron.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-true_iron.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Great PlugIn.
But after the update Logic crashes whan I try to play a saved song (Logic 10.3.3 on OSX 10.11.6)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojei View Post
Just tried experiment for multiband true iron to get frequency dependent changing saturation and worked fine to me. still digging tho..
Not really sure what the graph is supposed to tell...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Not really sure what the graph is supposed to tell...
Looks like a graph plotting time spent on gearslutz vs music production :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search