The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin Saturation Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I still have the insane level bump with DNA engaged, (even at the end of a chain on the mix buss for example), but man this thing sounds lovely. I liked it before, but now its like use it all the time level.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I still have the insane level bump with DNA engaged, (even at the end of a chain on the mix buss for example), but man this thing sounds lovely. I liked it before, but now its like use it all the time level.
Odd, not seeing that here.
Only using AU version and so far only 44.1 projects.
Also only using the Unity input impedance setting.

Last edited by Beatworld; 4 weeks ago at 11:13 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The new models sound very good, and DNA is very nice addition! Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I still have the insane level bump with DNA engaged
When you say “insane” how many db are we talking about?
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

The level changes are very dependent on the program material because of the nature of transformers. You really need to match it up with a meter because the amount is always going to be a moving target.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the frequent updates Kazrog, I was loving the original 2 models so this is a HUGE bonus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd guess that some freq-dependant level changes on the meter could be due to phase rotation. Allpass filters are used for the opposite effect. That wouldn't account for increase in perceived volume, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Will check... Vst2 or Vst3 version?
Vst 2!

So, tested again...same issue. I even managed to make a single plugin use 12% of cpu when I switched from model to model. Weird thing is...if I change from 1st model to last, it jumps from 8% to 12%...than I put it back to first model, but cpu stays 12%. I hope Kazrog will fix this... :(

1.1.2 works flawlessly here...cpu from 1 to 3% max, per instance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Running into a weird issue in latest Cakewalk (formerly Sonar)....new version 1.2.1 is not replacing previous instances.

I uninstalled the previous version and installed 1.2.1. When I pull up a session where True Iron was used, somehow the instances that were already in the session are the old version and when I insert a new instance of True Iron in the session it's the new version.

I also have Ableton, but did not encounter the issue there.
Attached Thumbnails
Kazrog True Iron - Transformer Saturation Plugin-trueiron_screen.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You must have the old version installed somewhere. Check the paths that Cakewalk scans for plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Is it just me, or should the Output Gain come before the Mix (output -> mix) ? I think it would make gain-staging easier (so the output doesn't affect when signal is dry), as bypassing seems to cause a moment of silence.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
Is it just me, or should the Output Gain come before the Mix (output -> mix) ? I think it would make gain-staging easier (so the output doesn't affect when signal is dry), as bypassing seems to cause a moment of silence.
I rarely use TI with any of the settings except drive and voicing changed (love the workflow of simply popping it on to a – properly gainstaged – track, picking a transformer, maybe goosing it a few dB with Drive, and then moving on), but yes, I agree that a "wet trim" makes a whole lot more sense to me than an overall output knob.

I've never understood why most plugins go with the final output control instead, it seems to necessitate awkwardly juggling the output gain as you change the wet/dry balance, every time… you find the tone you're looking for, decide that the transients are getting too smooth or whatever, roll the mix back – and then have to re-juggle the output all over again. When the output trim is before the mix control you just level match the wet channel against the dry once and then any subsequent change to the mix control doesn't affect the overall output.

Anyway, the new models sound really great, and with DNA mode all the previous models feel brand new and very interesting as well. 111C and 108X have been my favorites all along, and they sound even better (in most cases) with DNA on!

Last edited by rhysmix; 4 weeks ago at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
You must have the old version installed somewhere. Check the paths that Cakewalk scans for plugins.
It was a slight oversight. The old version in my session was VST3 and the new version I was adding was VST2.

But that leads to another question...was VST3 for this plugin dropped at some point? Didn't see anything about it in the manual. The latest installer is not installing a VST3 version.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

VST3 is here to stay. If you're not seeing it get installed, there may be a permissions issue on your drive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
VST3 is here to stay. If you're not seeing it get installed, there may be a permissions issue on your drive.
I finally figured out the issue and got it sorted out. User error on my part.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It does, but apparently some of you want some more information...

DNA mode activates actual frequency response curves captured from Devin's stereo pairs in his studio. Without DNA mode enabled, the frequency response curves are idealized functional curves based on archetypal historic specifications. In both cases, the harmonic distortion itself is based on rigorous analysis of the individual transformers in question (the primary focus of initial development.) DNA mode just ensures a more detailed sonic fingerprint for each transformer, at the expense of a few extra CPU cycles.

DNA has always been in the back pocket, so to speak. I'm excited to have finally brought this into the plugin itself, as it really kicks things up a notch (at least, I think.)
Thanks for the clarification - excited to test the update.

It was always clear that other transformer models would be gradually rolled out but DNA is a sweet surprise.

I love how versatile TI is and how well it combines with other plugs. With the DNA it should be even more interesting when following various EQs or for a bit of input conditioning before other compressors.

Speaking of pairings - for anyone who has been disappointed by ITB phasers, try following Fazortan 2 or Instant Phaser mkII with True Iron for some extra weight and juice and to 'tuck in' that undesirable pokey resonance quality that phaser plugs seem to bring.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Put 1.2.1 through the paces today - no odd level jumps with DNA mode here on Win x64/VST. And DNA mode is great, making quite a noticeable improvement in sonics and interest but at a negligible CPU cycle increase. Despite having more options it feels a bit easier to choose a variety now, and I dig the subtly more open stereo sense. Very cool! This update inspired me to tweak my mixing template a bit with more deliberate use of TI/DNA on all my subgroups.

The Marinair and new UTC are especially good on vocals and guitars, or likely anything else needing some midrange mojo. Again, TI is such a useful compliment to some of my other most-used plugins. Exciting with FETPressor on vocals, guitar or bass. Try the 111 after Balance Audio Magpha EQ for clean but slightly soft high-headroom bus shaping.

Devin's preset collection is a nice touch too.

Thanks again to you both for the killer unexpected update.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

congrats on getting a snake-oil thumbsup

YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
congrats on getting a snake-oil thumbsup

YouTube

I can't remember the topic, but I saw one of that guy's videos a while back and there were just so many things wrong with what he was saying that his face has been forever burned into my brain. I have no clue what his name is, or why he thinks he's qualified to make these videos, but hey, if he can make a buck doing them, I'm not one to judge (that's a lie - I'm judging).

He gets ignored whenever YouTube tries recommending one of his videos. I wouldn't even have clicked on the video at all had a thumbnail showed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ha! I like him - he does actually know what he's doing, the snake oil videos are his 'comedy' show... he deliberately doesn't read the manual.. it's just for a laugh really..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The original TI had 2 modes, we now have 6 and the I-shall-never-turn-it-off DNA mode, all for free.

Thanks so much Shane. You could have easily packaged these up as separate plugins, but you didn't. Legend.

The sound! So good. TI is literally all over my template; channels, busses and mixbus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Ha! I like him - he does actually know what he's doing, the snake oil videos are his 'comedy' show... he deliberately doesn't read the manual.. it's just for a laugh really..
Yeah he's a grower for sure :D Quite opinionated but at the same time doesn't take himself too seriously and will readily admit when he's clueless about something (unlike most).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
Yeah he's a grower for sure :D Quite opinionated but at the same time doesn't take himself too seriously and will readily admit when he's clueless about something (unlike most).
I'm insanely surprised, excited, and honored to have the plugin featured on his channel. I had no idea he was even aware of it, and suddenly it showed up on my YouTube feed today. I was a bit nervous at first, given how merciless he can be at times.

I love his channel, actually. I think he's hilarious and knowledgeable at the same time.

PS - Don't worry, the screws and rust aren't going anywhere.

Last edited by Kazrog; 4 weeks ago at 10:22 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

White Sea vids are one of the only channels I subscribe to; a good combination of humor and street smarts. The reviewer has good ears, though he often makes fast assumptions about some product features (without spending time studying it first).

Congrats on the very positive True Iron review....
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm still getting the volume jump on my version of the plugin from both vst2 and 3 but...
MAN I LOVE THIS THING!!!
JESUS! Dude I at least got 5 people to buy this plugin this past week alone cause just yea you nailed it all the way.
I just turned it down on the output which thankfully is independent of the dna but then when switching DNA off (who does that right?!?!?!) I just have to compensate it back to 0 is all still loving the sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
I'm still getting the volume jump on my version of the plugin from both vst2 and 3 but...
MAN I LOVE THIS THING!!!
JESUS! Dude I at least got 5 people to buy this plugin this past week alone cause just yea you nailed it all the way.
I just turned it down on the output which thankfully is independent of the dna but then when switching DNA off (who does that right?!?!?!) I just have to compensate it back to 0 is all still loving the sound.
Thanks so much!

The level jump issue with DNA (happening only under certain conditions) is being investigated, and a fix is in the works BTW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The level jump issue with DNA (happening only under certain conditions) is being investigated, and a fix is in the works BTW.
Given many of us aren’t experiencing the level jump have you narrowed it down to certain formats and DAWs ??
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Given many of us aren’t experiencing the level jump have you narrowed it down to certain formats and DAWs ??
No level jump here. OSX/Reaper.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
No level jump here. OSX/Reaper.
What you using in Reaper, AU ir VST?
I haven’t noticed any issue with AU in Logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
What you using in Reaper, AU ir VST?
I haven’t noticed any issue with AU in Logic.
I would have added that but I'd just closed down for the evening and can't remember :¬)

VST3 if TI supports that. If not, VST2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search