The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vertigo Sound VSE-2
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Vertigo Sound VSE-2

Greetings and salutations to all!!!
Available now!!!!

Here it is the Software Emulation of Our Discrete Gyrator EQ VSE-2. Turned from Hardware into plugin form for all you Vertigo Sound Lovers and soon to be lovers.

Pricing:
Introduction price will be €99. Normal price will be 239 Euro incl Vat. Outside the EU it’s 99 Euros ex Vat.
The intro price will last up until the end of July and maybe August also. With the Purchase of the Plugin you will get 3 licenses.

Link for a tutorial of how to activate your trial License.
YouTube

Software Plugin Link:
VSE-2 Plugin

VSE-2:
Features of the VSE-2 Plugin:
* A Painstaking Hardware Emulation With Discrete Sound
* Maximum Musical Behaviour
* Extreme Eqing without penalties
* Add silky presence and a big defined low end heft to your material instantly!
* Enhancement of the auditory threshold with our unique A.I.R. Mode
* Discrete Gyrator EQ based Hardware emulation
* Tube like Distortion Spectrum up to 1% THD
* Smooth and Punchy Vintage Console EQ Sound
* Unique A.I.R Mode (Enhancement of the auditory threshold)
* 18 selectable frequencies
* Hi Pass Filter 10Hz-400Hz
* Cut & Boost steps +-: 1dB, 2dB, 3,5dB, 5,5dB, 8dB with proportional Q

Carpe Diem.

Vertigo Sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Vertigo Sound VSE-2-36720006_270602156820682_9031897751939448832_n.jpg  
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Cool - looking forward to try it !
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks, looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts about it
Old 6th July 2018
Sounds very nice indeed

Nice BIG gui, I could be tempted.
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac

You can also resize the GUI on the bottom right hand side there are 3 button types from left to right, small, medium, large. Just incase you didn’t know
Old 6th July 2018
Yup, this is the business. Trying it out on some mixes in progress and I'm liking it better than what I was using previously.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Congrats on the release! Vertigo + AAX DSP = must demo!

I think there is something wrong with the VAT being charged outside EU in the online store, but I’m sure that will all get sorted out in due time.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 16th July 2018 at 06:45 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

So I just authorized the demo. I can’t say I am a fan of the licensing system; I would have much preferred iLok or using Plugin Alliance. I generally stay away from computer bound licenses; which are always a nuisance imo because of the frequency I upgrade computers and since I work on multiple systems. iLok or PA USB drive is perfect and effortless for my situation. I would have to be really wowed to stomach the idea of having to jump through unique authorization hoops for a single plugin..

That said, the AAX DSP Support (check), a nice intro discount (mostly-check) and a great experience with the demo (TBD) just might do it.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Would you consider providing an option which enables the input control to be a simple trim with the output control actually changing the gain. This means we can generate stronger or weaker harmonics and use the output to change the desired output gain. Acustica have started doing this in their products and I feel it is the optimal method of controlling the harmonic content from an EQ with saturation.
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
I hate to be 'that guy' but honest truth, I was gonna buy on a whim because it looked like it was gonna be ~85 euros since VAT doesn't apply to the US, but as soon as I entered in my country it still wanted to charge the full 99. Eh, that takes it out of whim territory. Still gonna demo though.
“Outside the EU it’s 99 Euros ex Vat.” That means €99 excluding VAT. In Europe it would be €99 + VAT. I think when they put “Normal price will be 239 Euro incl Vat” it confuses people into thinking that the €99 intro price includes VAT as well, which is not the case.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
“Outside the EU it’s 99 Euros ex Vat.” That means €99 excluding VAT. In Europe it would be €99 + VAT. I think when they put “Normal price will be 239 Euro incl Vat” it confuses people into thinking that the €99 intro price includes VAT as well, which is not the case.
Vertigo store’s intro price actually says “incl VAT” and provides the cost breakdown.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 16th July 2018 at 06:47 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

This looks very interesting
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Downloaded about to try... really hoping it sounds great and works with the D-Control!

Stefan.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Who are the developers of this? Did Vertigo recruit an in-house development team or did they go third party? The Apple Developer ID is Mustang Sound which is also referenced on the Vertigo webpage as who to contact, so I guess that is just an alternate company name for Vertigo?
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

This plugin sounds really impressive. Great job on that. Also I really like the resizable GUI, which is much better than the PA released Vertigo plugins that have incredibly tiny controls on a Retina display. Thank you for making this AAX DSP compatible as well.

I have some findings regarding AAX DSP. I did an AAX DSP test in Pro Tools that showed:
Per chip DSP counts
----------------------
Sample Rate | Mono | Stereo Instances
48k | 4 | 2
96k | 4 | 2
192k | 2 | 1

The % usage is in exact 25%/50% increments with each instantiation. This is on the high side for an EQ, and they imply either the algorithm is really intensive, has not been well optimized or some combination of the two. I particularly find the exact 25% and 50% usage numbers curious. There are zero shared instance cycles being reported to Pro Tools; typically an AAX DSP plugin will use more of a DSP chip with the first instance, but subsequent instances require less due to 'sharing'. I don't know if that is a possible oversight on the developers' part or if there is really no sharing that can occur for this algorithm, either are possibilities but the oversight is more likely. The quartile/halving of the instance reporting and zero sharing suggest to me that the DSP may not have been well optimized prior to release and simple over-estimations were made regarding the DSP usage instead of actual benchmarking using Avid’s tools. I hope this gets improved upon with a future update.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 16th July 2018 at 06:52 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
At the Vertigo store the intro price does include VAT for European countries, it said the price “includes 19% vat of 15.81” which is 19% of 83.19 not 99.
Yeah, you're right. My bad...didn't go the vertigo site before I posted. Definitely says €99 including VAT on the site. Seems strange they charge the same for non-Euro countries. Still a pretty good intro price considering the normal price. All the best...
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Tested with Icon.... EQ panel works mostly. Needs refining.

Parameters and therefore Auto data not accurate or relevant however, ie frequency shows 0.60, 0.80 etc but doesn't relate at all.

I will never buy a plug-in while-ever developers put control down the priority list. It means missing out introductory pricing sadly.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Liking it so far in the short time I've had to play with it. (about to get a ferry to an island for a gig tonight but HAD to try it )
Nice HP filter, works great on bass in combination with boosts.
The AIR band is pretty darn smooth and invisible.
Can't wait to use it more soon.
Nice work Vertigo

Not the most intuitive activation procedure
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Nut

Very nice! I'm liking the top band a lot!

A couple minor requests or suggestions:

1. Please consider a means to directly type a value for the in, out, filter and harmonics knobs. Seems like that would be much easier to return to 0 or the exact amount you want.

2. Please allow us to edit the custom installation paths in the installer. I use a non-standard folder and had to hunt around a bit to find the DLL.

Otherwise, very happy and will be trying this on many sources.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
2. Please allow us to edit the custom installation paths in the installer. I use a non-standard folder and had to hunt around a bit to find the DLL.
For some reason my copy installed into my “Surreal Machines” directory.
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
For some reason my copy installed into my “Surreal Machines” directory.
Same here. That's probably whom Vertigo has partnered with for the plugin development (or at least some part of it). Surreal Machines is German as well, so makes sense.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

I tested this a bit and also played with it some in Plugin Doctor. I must say the Plugin Doctor test looks great. One cool thing is there can be a lot of harmonics going on without a whole lot of unanticipated alterations to the EQ curve in comparison to other plugins. One concern I always have with Comps/EQs that generate harmonics is often how much of some frequency(ies) get sucked out and how the sound changes in unpredictable ways, not so for this one. The AIR band could simply be replaced by "15k" on the marking, but I suppose that wouldn't be a marketing bullet point. One thing that bothers me is that even when the HPF is off it is always high passing at around 15Hz; turning the EQ off doesn't remove the high pass either. It sounds great in a session I am working on. I also love the large and resizable GUI. I am leaning more and more towards a buy (I still wish I could get it with VAT removed, ahem )
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Congrats on this release.
Very interesting, and it looks so cool !

Quote:
... (I still wish I could get it with VAT removed, ahem )
YES !
They should have given this offer.

Every country outside EU got their own tax/VAT system.
It is not correct to charge tax when you're part of EU,
and you sell SW/HW to a non-EU country.

So most EU companies deduct the tax when you buy from them.
Vertigo not ...

Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
That's probably whom Vertigo has partnered with for the plugin development (or at least some part of it). Surreal Machines is German as well, so makes sense.
I like their stuff, so not a bad partner. Very different beast than Modnetic and Diffuse!
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Congrats on this release.
Very interesting, and it looks so cool !

YES !
They should have given this offer.

Every country outside EU got their own tax/VAT system.
It is not correct to charge tax when you're part of EU,
and you sell SW/HW to a non-EU country.

So most EU companies deduct the tax when you buy from them.
Vertigo not ...

I 100% agree with the sentiment. Technically they are not charging tax, they are artificially raising the price for non-EU customers.
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Great stuff ! I wish it had 3 more bands, a low bell, another mid bell, and a high bell.

Hint hint hint !!!
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Would you consider providing an option which enables the input control to be a simple trim with the output control actually changing the gain. This means we can generate stronger or weaker harmonics and use the output to change the desired output gain. Acustica have started doing this in their products and I feel it is the optimal method of controlling the harmonic content from an EQ with saturation.
I can’t say that sounds more intuitive to me, but to each his own.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Is it possible to remove computer authorizations from the license manager tool after one has been authorized? I can't figure out how I would do so. I really hope so because I don't want to have to make a support request in order to simply remove a computer. There are a couple software licenses that I own where it is difficult to de-authorize and I often wish I did not spend money on those. Copy protection should be as effective yet invisible and flexible as possible.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it possible to remove computer authorizations from the license manager tool after one has been authorized? I can't figure out how I would do so. I really hope so because I don't want to have to make a support request in order to simply remove a computer. There are a couple software licenses that I own where it is difficult to de-authorize and I often wish I did not spend money on those. Copy protection should be as effective yet invisible and flexible as possible.
As unusual as it may sound, try messaging on their FB page. They’ve been extremely quick and responsive:

Vertigo Sound - Local business - Munich, Germany | Facebook - 12 photos
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic View Post
As unusual as it may sound, try messaging on their FB page. They’ve been extremely quick and responsive:

Vertigo Sound - Local business - Munich, Germany | Facebook - 12 photos
Thanks, though I gotta say it’s not cool to start a thread here and just abandon it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search