The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brainworx and SSL Team up for Plugins Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Head

Hi Dirk,

regarding the "Heavy Hitter" prices, do multiple licenses of one plugin count towards the 20+?

Thanks
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Info had not yet been there when I opened the site and downloaded the beta.
Probably, as Dirk pointed on the topic, they were updating the site and pages, etc
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
Hi Dirk,

regarding the "Heavy Hitter" prices, do multiple licenses of one plugin count towards the 20+?

Thanks
Haha do you mean like 30+ tuner licenses

Probably not, but who knows, best to contact their support for this kind of stuff anyway
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Haha do you mean like 30+ tuner licenses

Probably not, but who knows, best to contact their support for this kind of stuff anyway
Haha! I swear I had typed a longer post as to avoid this assumption. We have some of their special processing plugins installed on multiple editing stations

Last edited by Deif; 9th July 2018 at 05:43 PM..
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Is it not possible to purchase the products currently?
Old 9th July 2018
Will report back later after thorough testing, but after a few minutes of messing around, I'm really impressed by this E Channel. Will compare it to the other contenders, but so far I'm loving it a lot.
But the metering sucks, that's true unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Is it not possible to purchase the products currently?
July 19th as stated on the product page. You wanna buy directly instead of beta testing beforehand? I'm happy to do it the other way round. :-)
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
This is not an SSL product, that´s why. SSL sold parts to the studio back in 1978 because they didn´t make the external buss comps yet! But the studio wanted one, so they built their own power supply and more, and built a legendary one-off machine!

We may model an SSL Buss Comp in the future, but if it happens it will not be to replace this plugin.

Dirk / BX.
Thanks for the clarification, Dirk. I was really hoping for the first AAX DSP SSL Bus Compressor since Avid Impact and really this is probably the closest thing to that. I just hope if I buy this, and you do make an official SSL Bus Compressor later, there is an “upgrade” price for Townhouse owners like for E/G.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 9th July 2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict
I also dislike the metering in this plugin. I'm guessing it's how a real SSL console works but for me it doesn't really make sense which forces me to use another plugin for metering. It would be really great if there was a (better) alternative option for the metering.

Besides this little issue these plugins really are amazing!
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
July 19th as stated on the product page. You wanna buy directly instead of beta testing beforehand? I'm happy to do it the other way round. :-)
Yep. I'm willing to purchase it outright.

PA has never disappointed me other than the weirdness with knob movement on VST/VST3 versions of the previous bx_consoles... but I can deal with that.

I'm purchasing this product no matter what basically, might as well get it over with.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
I also dislike the metering in this plugin. I'm guessing it's how a real SSL console works ...
Nope. On SSL consoles 0 VU equals to +4 dBu, as in the rest of the audio world.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear
Excellent stuff, PA. Looking forward to owning all 3.

Bonus tip (new to me): Control click a knob a 2nd time to return to the previous value. Nice for quick a/b/a/b without having to disable the plugin or use the abcd above.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

regarding metering there are only few important things
in audio engineering

signal - yes/no ?
signal too low / equal / too high

Everything else is done with your ears.
It´s not this complicated.
If the METERING of a plugin is a severe problem for you
you may use a dedicated metering plugin.

bx console´s E meters allways did the job for me.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
regarding metering there are only few important things
in audio engineering

signal - yes/no ?
signal too low / equal / too high

Everything else is done with your ears.
It´s not this complicated.
If the METERING of a plugin is a severe problem for you
you may use a dedicated metering plugin.

bx console´s E meters allways did the job for me.

Lord have mercy.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there might be a reason why LFC's have a meterbridge ? (And no, it is not for illuminating purposes.)

Do yourself (and your mixes) a favour and do some homework, buddy.

You can start right here:

On Tracks: Why Do Meters Matter? | Reverb News

Gain Staging in Your DAW: Good Levels, Better Mix | Waves
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Nut

Dirk,

Great stuff, again!

I'm so glad you're continuing to supply AAX DSP plugins and these new ones continue the tradition, YEAH!

One request though, but not a deal breaker by any means, is that you could do surround versions, even with a small upgrade price? I use the Vertigo VSC2, which is essentially the SSL 9K comp (I think?), for most mixes that are 2.0, but when I do surround mixing for post audio work, I have to switch over to the Avid Impact which does support surround in all flavors. It's OK, but considering its a 10 year old plugin, I'd much rather use PA plugs. Like hopefully a future SSL 9K console or buss comp, or an Amek console, or buss comp? Or here's really hoping, a Neve 88R console?? You can't hear a major film score today that wasn't recorded on that console.

Anyway, great work, and keep on keepin' on.

Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

“PRICING & AVAILABILITY:

The bx_console SSL 4000 E & G plugins have an MSRP of $349 (each), but will be sold with an intro discount of $249 (each) from July 19 on.

You will get a massive discount if you belong to one of these user groups:

You're a PickPacker and your PickPack contains any of the existing bx_consoles?
We'll be happy to offer you the new SSL 4000 E and/or G plugins for an unbeatable price of $50 (each)!

You 're a PickPacker, but don't own any of our consoles yet?
Not a problem, we'll be happy to get you your first desk!
You'll pay just $99 (each) for E and/or G!
No more waiting for Xmas.

You own the existing bx_console E and/or G plugins!
-If you own the existing E or G plugins by Brainworx, you can get the SSL versions for the pure difference in price ($299 vs $349), which is $50 per plugin.
-If you bought the existing bx_console E and/or G at full list price ($299) in the last 3 months, you will get a FREE SSL version from us.

You own bx_console N!
If you own bx_console N we will offer you the SSL E and/or G plugins for $149 (each).

You're a Heavy Hitter!
You own more than 20 commercial Alliance plugins (any brands) and have proven to be a loyal customer? Thank you for that! To reward you, we will give you the new SSL 4000 E/G plugins for just $99 each! No more waiting for Xmas.”

I seem to be left out here. I own more than 20 commercial plugs(30+), then, I have bx n and g. So, where does that put me in the upgrade pricing? Dirk?
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
“PRICING & AVAILABILITY:

The bx_console SSL 4000 E & G plugins have an MSRP of $349 (each), but will be sold with an intro discount of $249 (each) from July 19 on.

You will get a massive discount if you belong to one of these user groups:

You're a PickPacker and your PickPack contains any of the existing bx_consoles?
We'll be happy to offer you the new SSL 4000 E and/or G plugins for an unbeatable price of $50 (each)!

You 're a PickPacker, but don't own any of our consoles yet?
Not a problem, we'll be happy to get you your first desk!
You'll pay just $99 (each) for E and/or G!
No more waiting for Xmas.

You own the existing bx_console E and/or G plugins!
-If you own the existing E or G plugins by Brainworx, you can get the SSL versions for the pure difference in price ($299 vs $349), which is $50 per plugin.
-If you bought the existing bx_console E and/or G at full list price ($299) in the last 3 months, you will get a FREE SSL version from us.

You own bx_console N!
If you own bx_console N we will offer you the SSL E and/or G plugins for $149 (each).

You're a Heavy Hitter!
You own more than 20 commercial Alliance plugins (any brands) and have proven to be a loyal customer? Thank you for that! To reward you, we will give you the new SSL 4000 E/G plugins for just $99 each! No more waiting for Xmas.”

I seem to be left out here. I own more than 20 commercial plugs, then, I have bx n and g. So, where does that put me in the upgrade pricing?
Looks straightforward to me:

$50 upgrade for G
$99 heavy hitter price for E
(and $99 heavy hitter price for bus comp)
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Dirk!
First thanks for making this plugin possible!

So now lets get back to discussing how it sounds.

The new Bx 4000E sounds tighter to me. Its not better it just sounds different. The Original BX E sounds more open to me. Both useable. To me the new SSL E sounds close to the Waves E channel in terms of character. ( I dont know if thats a good thing ). I love how open the Original BX E was. When you use the new THD/TMT it sounds a lot punchier now.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Looks straightforward to me:

$50 upgrade for G
$99 heavy hitter price for E
(and $99 heavy hitter price for bus comp)
Right. But those prices are for folks who belong to ONE of those groups. I’m in more than one. And the pic Packers who may have n can get e and/or g for 50 bucks? THAT, is not straight forward for me...
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Played around with the old E and G and compared to the new ones. The high EQ’s are complete different in behavour. Less agressive. Better. Even the mid lows.

Compressor is less agressive too. More like the Waves ones? I dont know. ERRM. At least the plugins look now more like theirs.

The new one is little more blurry than the old version. This can rock, but for electronic music nor always.

All in all I like it and I will buy. Nice to have both versions, the old cleaner/agressive and the official proved SSL mojo one. Hehe.

About the Townhouse Comp, I’m realy positive surprised. Very good.
It’s not that clean like Ableton Glue, but has more mojo than the Waves G-Comp. Will buy too.

Dam, first I read Heavy Hitler.. sorry ./
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear
Townhouse Buss Compressor

Seriously loving these new plugins.
Very, very nice!

Just a small nag about the townhouse compressor if I may!

The buttons are awfully small and these is loads of room on the faceplate. Perhaps a small increase in size would be good?

But seriously, great job!
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Right. But those prices are for folks who belong to ONE of those groups. I’m in more than one. And the pic Packers who may have n can get e and/or g for 50 bucks? THAT, is not straight forward for me...
That's what it says. So if you're a PickPacker (lol!) also, then you get both for fiddy bones each
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

is the discount for "heavy hitters" time limited?

I already own pretty much every SSL plugin out there but I still find myself curious for this one..... not in a rush for it right now but if I can get it for that price Ill be sure to pick it up this year.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
Thanks guys! The bx_townhouse pricing info is up now as well. We are literally going crazy right now launching 3 top plugins at the same time...

The old & new plugins will work together in sessions and we will continue to maintain the "old" (what a word...) E and G so you can use old sessions and keep them going if you decide you don't want the SSL versions.

We just won't sell the former E/G anymore.
Have fun everybody and let me know how it goes!
Dirk.
Have fun my butt. When I purchased the E channel in June and checked my registered plugins I was made aware that I could purchase the G channel for $99. I emailed support and they said there was no time limit on that; I was waiting to see if my voucher would go back up to the $50 it was as the July voucher was only $25. Now I check my registered plugins and find that deal has disappeared. Not happy at all.

This is not only for me but others who are in the same boat. Are we out of luck with getting the G channel for $99? Same goes for those that purchased the G before and had the possibility of getting the E channel for $99.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Offers ... ?

Well, Its complicated

Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Hi Dirk!
First thanks for making this plugin possible!

So now lets get back to discussing how it sounds.

The new Bx 4000E sounds tighter to me. Its not better it just sounds different. The Original BX E sounds more open to me. Both useable. To me the new SSL E sounds close to the Waves E channel in terms of character. ( I dont know if thats a good thing ). I love how open the Original BX E was. When you use the new THD/TMT it sounds a lot punchier now.
Yeah, me too hope the old one isn't allowed to die it sounds a lot more open
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
Yeah, me too hope the old one isn't allowed to die it sounds a lot more open
Yep the new one sounds tighter and punchier. The old one is fine actually. Sounded more open to me. Maybe because of the high end. The Original Bx E's high end can open up dull sounds. The new version barely opens it up, it just sounded harsh. ( Maybe this is how the old SSL E sounds like )

What I love about the new version is that the gain structure is a little bit controlled. Theres no adding up of gain when you use the compressor like the original has. Certainly more precise this time.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
@ Dirk:
But, please urgently revise the metering. Unfortunately the metering now is useless:

1. The relationship between the VU and the dBu scale is completely off: When I feed a 1KHz sine wave in and the VU meter reads 0 VU the dBu meter reads something like +10! But of course 0VU = +4dBu, right?

2. Please make the metering calibratable. This is essential, otherwise the Plugins metering has no meaning, because it should be corresponding to the DAW's own metering to deliver useful information.

Let's take Pro Tools as an example: PT is by default calibrated so that -18dBFS = + 4 dBu = 0 VU. If I generate a 1kHz sinewave with -18 dB the PT Sample peak meter reads -18 and the PT VU meter reads 0. That is how it should be. But the your SSL E meter is all over the place: Something like -8 VU and + 3 dBu.

This problem already occurred with your "old" channel strips, but the SSL E channel should be a good opportunity to make this right.

Please fix this asap because metering matters!
I can't believe the reaction you've had to this - it is a perfectly reasonable and VALID request.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Yep the new one sounds tighter and punchier. The old one is fine actually. Sounded more open to me. Maybe because of the high end. The Original Bx E's high end can open up dull sounds. The new version barely opens it up, it just sounded harsh. ( Maybe this is how the old SSL E sounds like )

What I love about the new version is that the gain structure is a little bit controlled. Theres no adding up of gain when you use the compressor like the original has. Certainly more precise this time.
Thank you very much for this post - hope to see more like it as it's making my choice easier to make whether to buy 'upgrade' to the new version or not. And if this is typical of the new version it looks like I'll not be buying the new one. I might jump on the new G if I still qualify for the $99 upgrade that existed until these new beta versions were made available. But really I like the original E channel just as it is; harsh high end I don't need.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thank you very much for this post - hope to see more like it as it's making my choice easier to make whether to buy 'upgrade' to the new version or not. And if this is typical of the new version it looks like I'll not be buying the new one. I might jump on the new G if I still qualify for the $99 upgrade that existed until these new beta versions were made available. But really I like the original E channel just as it is; harsh high end I don't need.
I dont find the highs harsh but rather aggressive.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Ok. Some of you have been bad mouthing waves product and now you ended up having similar to waves I'm loving how this thread is doing. long live my 29 bucks SSL.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search