The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranborne Audio releases the cleanest, most transparent preamp on the market
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Maniac
Cranborne Audio releases the cleanest, most transparent preamp on the market

Cranborne Audio have finally completed the Camden 500 preamp and signal processor for 500 series, and it's actually ended being (probably) the cleanest, most transparent 500 series mic preamp on the market; and it's going to sell for a price that everyone can afford - $349 US Retail / £299 RRP IncVat.

We know these are bold claims that we would be skeptical of… but we have the Technical Specs for you guys to analyse taken straight from our APx555 Audio Analyzer. You'll see that the Camden 500 pushes the theoritical limit of linearity, noise and distortion. With Mojo bypassed - the Camden 500 is not colouring or influencing your mic, mic placement, or source in any audible way, shape, or form - it will also continue to perform at these extraordinarily low performance figures at all gain settings.

THD+N:
<0.0004%, 1kHz, 35dB gain, 24dBu out

Equivalent Input Noise (EIN):
<-129.5dBu, 150 ohm source, unweighted - (that’s pretty much the theoretical limits of EIN).
<-131dBu, 150 ohm source, A-weighted
<-135.5dBu, Inputs common, unweighted

Frequency Response:
±0.25dB, <5 Hz to >200 kHz, 35dB gain
<±1dB, <5 Hz to >200 kHz, max gain - (most preamps have dramatic frequency roll-off at max gain)

Phase Shift:
<2.25°, 40dB gain, 20Hz to 20kHz
<4°, Max gain, 20Hz to 20kHz - (4° at max gain is pretty much unprecedented, it’s not uncommon to see 10-30° of phase shift on the very best preamps at max gain)

Intermodulation Distortion:
<0.0008%, 50Hz and 7kHz, 35dB gain, 20dBu out
<0.0006%, 50Hz and 7kHz, 35dB gain, 15dBu out

Max Input Level:
Mic = 17.6dBu (<0.003% THD)
Line = 26.5dBu (<0.02% THD)
Hi-Z = 24dBu (<0.02% THD)

Max Output Level:
27.5dBu (<0.002% THD, 30dB gain)

CMRR:
>70dB, typ >85dB, 35dB gain, 10-20kHz, 100mV Common mode

Input Impedance:
Mic= 8.9kOhms 48v Off, 5.4kOhms 48v ON,
Line = 24.3kOhms
Hi-Z= 1.5MOhm unbalanced, 3MOhm balanced

Output Impedance:
150 Ohms

Current Draw:
120mA per rail - idle
140mA per rail - typical use case

Slew Rate:
20V/uS, 35dB gain, 25dBu out

The complete technical specifications (with AP graphs) can be found here: https://www.cranborne-audio.com/hubf..._TechSpecs.pdf

Thanks to its Mojo circuit, it’s also a lot more than just a clean preamp. Mojo is a 100% analogue saturation circuit that can be dialled-in to be one of the most saturated and ‘transformer-like’ preamps in your arsenal. Or Mojo can be bypassed completely to reveal the cleanest, frequency/phase-linear preamp you've ever heard.

We’re really excited to get these out into the wild. The Millennias, Grace Designs, Forsells, Earthworks of the world are great bits of kit - we’ve all used them before - but they are not what we consider affordable, certainly not for engineers and musicians like ourselves.

We’ve truly designed a preamp that will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with those great preamps whilst costing less than half the price. We haven’t cut corners… we’ve just started from scratch by developing our own custom topology, sourcing components that have never been seen in the audio industry before, and tuning the design to the nth degree (and then some more…).

If you guys have any questions, or would like us to take a look at another preamp to see how Camden 500 compares, let us know!
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

Very impressive figures. I'd be quite keen to try one. Well done
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I’d be curious to have you compare them with GML - how would one get these in the US? I read in the rack thread you were working on US distribution.
Old 1st July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I’d be curious to have you compare them with GML - how would one get these in the US? I read in the rack thread you were working on US distribution.
Hi mate,

Yes of course, GML stuff is great - but it's quite hard to find specs of them online.

On the spec sheet of the 8304 - which is a similar transformerless topology to the Camden 500 there are a few specs we can compare:

Phase Shift
First of all the GML has a Phase shift spec of 22 degrees deviation between 10Hz and 260Hz - which is an extremely wide-band for a phase measurement!
Camden 500 measures 2.25 degrees between 20-20k which is a fair amount more linear.
Less phase shift means faster, punchier transients - and a 22 degree shift equals >3ms of delay at that frequency.

The GML also doesn't provide a gain value in which this measurement was taken. It's not unusual for a preamp's phase shift to increase by 20-30 degrees when turned up to maximum and that's why a lot of people do not quote that measurement. Camden 500's phase shift increases to 4 degrees at maximum gain (68.5dB) which is pretty much unheard of. This means you're going to retain the punchy transients and quick response at all gain settings and you aren't going to suffer from unison effects or muddiness as the gain is increased.

Frequency Response
Frequency response is quite interesting. The GML is probably the most linear preamp i've seen on paper with a 0.3dB roll-off between 1.7Hz and 260kHz. But again they do not quote the gain setting where this spec was taken - which can make all the difference in this spec. Camden 500 has 0.7dB of roll-off between 5Hz-200kHz at MAX gain. On some preamps, it's quite common to see 3-4dB of extra roll-off when the preamp is at maximum gain. I can't say whether the GML would be the same in this respect but it's not a figure that they have published.

Distortion wise, I can't really comment as the specs on the GML units i found were quite vague. I can imagine it's very very low, but sometimes a lack of spec is very telling... compared to a Millennia HV-37 (which is a non-500 series preamp that wasn't designed around the voltage regulations of the 500series chassis):

HV-37: < .003%, Typical < .001%, 35 dB Gain, 10 Hz - 20 kHz bandwidth, +24 dBu Out

Camden 500:
<0.0004%, 1kHz test tone, 10 Hz - 20 kHz bandwidth, 35dB gain, 24dBu out

Camden 500 has almost a whole order of magnitude less THD+N.

Overall, spec-wise, Camden 500 and this GML 8304 are actually quite close in performance. But, when you consider the most important spec... price... the GML retails for $3000-4000 (if you can get one), and the Camden 500 is $349 US retail! That's a whole rack of modules.. + one of our 500R8's (500 series rack with USB interface, ADAT, summing mixer, and monitor controller) for the price of 4 (very nice, GML) preamps.

Also, Camden 500 is performing at this level as a 500 series module - a much more challenging environment to work in compared to the comfort of its own chassis with a dedicated power supply like the GML.

In terms of distribution - yes, we are working on a strategy that will see Camden 500's being available at all major US dealers by the end of August. It's all going well so far - so fingers crossed they'll have our products listed and will be taking preorders shortly!

If you'd like to know more then you check out our other thread: Cleanest 500 series preamp on the market? - Welcome to Camden 500

That thread is monitored by all of us - including our in-house boffins Ed and Sean! Sadly, you drew the short straw and got me to respond to your query!

The thread also has an interesting comparison of the Camden 500 vs the HV37 as well as a good conversation between Ed and another user about CMRR on Camden 500 vs transformer-based designs.

Hope that helps!

Ells
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The specs are impressive but the only thing that gives me pause is that the slew rate seems to be on the slow side, which can affect the transient or overall sound of the source. The distortion is very low but the slew rate is slow, so the question is what's the difference between say a preamp with very low distortion but a slow slew rate compared to a preamp which might only have low distortion but a high slew rate?

For example, Buzz audio preamps which might have distortion in the .008% range but have a slew rate of 140 V/uS. Or for that matter, something like Jim Williams' high speed pre with similar distortion figures, but a slew rate of 4000 V/uS. Of course that's a $1500 preamp.
Lower priced would be something like the Grace M101/M501 pres which have a higher distortion at .0010% at a similar dB, but have a phase shift close to yours at <6° and a slew rate of 2000 V/uS. Grace pres show up regularly used for around $500, so is it worth the extra $150 to get a slew rate 100x of the Cramden? Or does slew rate not factor in when other factors are mitigated? (low phase, for example...so maybe in the Grace, with such a low phase, is such a high slew rate redundant?)

Of course figures don't tell the whole story, and what you have achieved for the price you're selling them for is amazing. Just that when I read the specs, I was impressed until I got to the slew rate so I'm wondering if I'm missing something as to why so many of the specs seem great but then the slew rate is on the slow side.
Old 1st July 2018
Gear Head

Hi Ionian, I'm Ed Holmes the Cranborne engineering director and the guy who designed the Camden circuit.

So slew rate is an interesting spec. As I'm sure you are aware it corresponds to how fast the output can physically move from one rail to the other.

What it actually does that matters to audio however is impose output limiting and distortion for frequencies and output levels that require a higher slew rate.

So, that said what does the slew rate of Camden actually do to the signal and why don't we think it matters? Well firstly it has no effect whatsoever on sound reproduction until you are up into the 200kHz region near maximum output level. Below that the slew rate is plenty to keep up and the reproduction at the output is constrained by other factors. So what can we even hear at those frequencies? Very little. Especially as 9999 times in ten thousand you cut them off in the conversion process. (Even recording at 384k won't include any data at any frequency that Camden slew rate limitation comes into play). That aside however there has been one or two studies that show that some amount of timing information is picked up by the human ear at up to about 200kHz. Camden is however fast enough to provide that information in the unlikely event you are recording with a mic that picks up that high, directly without conversion into an ultrasonic tweeter system that can reproduce them. At 20dBu out, Camden is fast enough that thd+n is below 1% at 200kHz. At 27dBu it's about 5% at 200kHz and below 1% by 180kHz and the slew rate has not actually limited output level at these frequencies. Thats less THD than most colour preamps produce inside the ends of the audio band and doesn't affect the timing cues which are all we care about at these ultrasonic frequencies anyway. It certainly won't make the preamp sound slower.

Having a fast and wide bandwidth preamp is much more about three things.
1) No phase irregularities in the audio band. Camden is awesome for this because it maintains that 1.5hz to over 200kHz bandwidth right up to max gain which is near unheard of.
2) THD within the audio band. If slew rate is very low (2/3 V/uS), you get poorer loop gain compensation at high audio band frequencies. Camden is way over that threshold though and the thd within the audio band is well below audible at any audio frequency or gain level.
3) CMRR, a well designed fast preamp is better at rejecting common mode interference in the frequency band where your RF protection is only starting to come into play. Again Camden has plenty of slew rate and bandwidth for that.

And finally the spec is a bit conservative. The Camden slew rate varies slightly across gain ranges. At minimum gain it's closer to 25V/us and at max about 22V/uS.

We did a lot of playing with different specs and listening to the effect they had. At 20V/uS the slew rate is exactly what it needs to be, fast enough to not matter at all.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where can we buy one or two? Dealer or is it direct thanks
Old 1st July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Where can we buy one or two? Dealer or is it direct thanks
Hey kmade,

We are still ironing-out a few aspects of our US distribution, but we should have a strong network in place before the units start shipping - around the end of August.

Our current plan includes all of the usual suspects in the US, and we are in touch with a lot of the right people... however if you'd be so kind as to put in a good word for us with your preferred dealer, that would be greatly appreciated!

There are so many modules available nowadays (a lot of them very similar!) and these dealers carry hundreds of 500-series products, and so even though we're offering something truly unique in terms of performance and price, a little gentle persuasion is required!

cheers,
ells
Old 1st July 2018
MYN
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
FWIW, I've asked Austin at Vintage King to make sure they carry these. Been looking at some other options, but I'm very impressed with the vocal samples you posted, and that price point is hard to ignore.
Old 2nd July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
FWIW, I've asked Austin at Vintage King to make sure they carry these. Been looking at some other options, but I'm very impressed with the vocal samples you posted, and that price point is hard to ignore.
Hey MYN,

That's amazing! Thank you so much for that - we (Ed, Sean, Andy, George, and myself) really appreciate it!

Really hope you can wrap your ears around one very soon - we think you'll like it even more in-person! We've also got a few key independent reviews lined-up to put Camden 500 through its paces and so even if you don't believe us... you can get a low-down from a trusted source!

If you don't mind me asking - what other options are you looking at? I like to try and keep on top of what's popular on the market! - I don't want to fall into a Cranborne Audio-only bubble!

Regards,
Ells
MYN
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
Hey MYN,

If you don't mind me asking - what other options are you looking at? I like to try and keep on top of what's popular on the market! - I don't want to fall into a Cranborne Audio-only bubble!

Regards,
Ells
You're very welcome. My pleasure.

I'm looking at the Hardy M-1 and the Grace M101/501 for certain types of work. I do VO full time and I use an Avalon V-5 for commercials, promos, certain narrations and it works very well on my voice for those bookings. But, for character voice work, like animation voice jobs, I need something super clean. I've been using the UAD SSL, but I think I can get just a touch more realism and detail with something like the Camden. And the Mojo feature makes me believe I can really dial in some texture, if required. So, dudes, I neeeeeeeed one. I'd order one directly from you today if I could.
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there a reason you guys have two threads in the New Products section?

Cleanest 500 series preamp on the market? - Welcome to Camden 500
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A 2ch 1RU version would totally pique my interest (sort of an m201 alternative at a lower price point).
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Is there a reason you guys have two threads in the New Products section?

Cleanest 500 series preamp on the market? - Welcome to Camden 500
Haha well yes there is a reason, but it wasn't intentional! I certainly didn't mean to spam everyone!

I originally put that first thread up on the 'so much gear...' section, however It was recommended to me in a PM that I put a post in the New products section... so I did, but I didn't delete the original as it has some good answers to some common queries (CMMRR, Mojo vs transformers).

It has since been moved over into the new products section alongside this thread... thus we have two!

Thankfully, we are much better at designing products than navigating GEearslutz.

Ells
Old 3rd July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
You're very welcome. My pleasure.

I'm looking at the Hardy M-1 and the Grace M101/501 for certain types of work. I do VO full time and I use an Avalon V-5 for commercials, promos, certain narrations and it works very well on my voice for those bookings. But, for character voice work, like animation voice jobs, I need something super clean. I've been using the UAD SSL, but I think I can get just a touch more realism and detail with something like the Camden. And the Mojo feature makes me believe I can really dial in some texture, if required. So, dudes, I neeeeeeeed one. I'd order one directly from you today if I could.
All great options MYN! I've come across the Hardy stuff a few times, and the Grace M501/101 are always favourites! Sounds like Camden 500 is right up your street for both lines of work - Camden 500's 'thump' mojo-style dialled to taste would be a nice alternative to your V-5!

You're more than welcome to send me a dry VO so I can apply some Mojo and send it back to you - might be a cool way for you to hear how it will react to your voice! There's a link here where you can upload: link

Sounds like you're in a pretty cool line of work!!!
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is fantastic! I'm a little overfed with "colorful" things. Time for something real.
Old 3rd July 2018 | Show parent
MYN
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
All great options MYN! I've come across the Hardy stuff a few times, and the Grace M501/101 are always favourites! Sounds like Camden 500 is right up your street for both lines of work - Camden 500's 'thump' mojo-style dialled to taste would be a nice alternative to your V-5!

You're more than welcome to send me a dry VO so I can apply some Mojo and send it back to you - might be a cool way for you to hear how it will react to your voice! There's a link here where you can upload: link

Sounds like you're in a pretty cool line of work!!!
Kickass. I'll definitely send you something to Mojo later this week.

I really find it to be a great line of work for me, but perhaps the most cutthroat and competitive business I've ever been in, which is why I feel it's extremely crucial to have the best tools for every type of job.
Old 10th July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Kickass. I'll definitely send you something to Mojo later this week.
Hey all,

If anyone is interested; MYN sent us a really cool (and highly entertaining!) VO track late last week and we've just applied some Mojo using the Camden 500 for him to hear the results.

You can hear it for yourselves here: Custom Voice Over - Mark Yoshimoto Nemcoff #Dry/Thump/Cream/Mix by Cranborne Audio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This link has a Dry, Thump, Cream, and a 'Mix' version of the VO with comments that you can use to jump to the setting you want to hear. No additional processing was added apart from some level matching.

We didn't even think about VO work when testing Camden 500... but we were very surprised by the results (the mix of the two in particular sounds excellent to our ears!).

If anyone else has any audio files that they would like to hear passed through Mojo, then feel free to follow the link below and send it my way!
Test Drive Mojo

Ells
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well damn, that's persuasive... !
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac
We have some news for you guys regarding Camden 500...

- Camden 500 is now shipping! - We entered production last week and we have 250 of them assembled, tested, and ready to ship from our UK Manufacturer. The end result is simply stunning and we're over the moon with how its turned out. It has a few notable upgrades fro the pre-production versions, such as Gold flashing on the card-edge connector, and a swish black PCB.

- New Camden 500 By The Numbers video: Hear it in action! YouTube
By our calculations and measurements, Camden 500 is the cleanest and most transparent preamp on the market, even more so than some of our favourite preamps like Millennia and Grace Design. In this video I dive into the tech specs and explain how we've come to this conclusion by comparing some technical data and performance specs against some undisclosed competitors preamps as well as showing off some audio examples of Camden 500 and Mojo in action.

- Sound On Sound Review:"No Cons"
Of course, it's easy for us to say Camden 500 sounds great , but what about industry legend Hugh Robjohns from Sound on Sound? Well, he loves Camden 500 and gave us no cons on our Camden 500 review in the October 2018 issue. You can check it out online or in the October issue of Sound on Sound. If you can't get a hold of a copy, here are some excerpts (although its worth a read for all of Hugh's technical measurements!!):

"There are far too many preamps to mention even in the 500 series alone, but few are this well built or designed, few sound this clean and quiet, and very few have this much sonic versatility."

"I was immediately attracted to the Camden 500 because of its spacious, simple front-panel layout, and when I discovered the switched gain control I was smitten. But after listening to it and experimenting with the Mojo facility, I was completely sold. This really is a very impressive new preamp — both from the point of view of its sonics and the physical experience of adjusting the controls. The chunky toggles and commodious front panel make it a breeze to use, while the switched gain knob allows accurate adjustment without gain-bunching. Importantly, there’s always masses of headroom whatever input configuration is selected, and it really excels as a clean, quiet, transparent, high-quality preamp. It performed admirably alongside my Focusrite, SSL and GML preamps, for example, but it also sounded great as a DI for my passive bass."

"If you’re in the market for a high-quality multi-purpose preamp, the Camden 500 is a strong candidate. In its ‘clean’ mode it holds its head up confidently in the company of serious high-end products, but it can also deliver convincing vintage character at the turn of a knob and the flip of a switch. That it’s British-designed and built to very high standards, looks attractive, feels great to use, and is priced very competitively make this a very impressive first offering from Cranborne Audio. In short, this is how I’d design and build a quality preamp! I really can’t wait to see what else will emerge from this stable in the near future."

- Distributors/resellers/dealers in the US, and UK will be announced in the next couple of weeks - We've signed the dotted line with some amazing partners in the UK and US, and now Camden 500 is ready to ship we can get the ball rolling and get the products listed, ready to sell/pre-order.

We will update you on where you can order/pre-order/view/test our products and at which dealers around the world. This is no mean feat for a start-up audio brand - some of these dealers are pretty huge...

Thanks guys!
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
just ordered two of them exciting!
Old 26th October 2018
MYN
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Front End Audio shipped mine Wednesday. Should be here in L.A. early next week. Gonna experiment with it both as the main preamp and also running other preamps through it to Mojo them up.
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just saw this from Front End Audio, very interested
Old 28th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post
just ordered two of them exciting!
Thank you so much Jorn! Really excited to hear what you think! Let us know how you get on!
Ells
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Front End Audio shipped mine Wednesday. Should be here in L.A. early next week. Gonna experiment with it both as the main preamp and also running other preamps through it to Mojo them up.
Hey Mark! Thank you so much! Really hope you like what you hear!
Ells
Old 28th October 2018
CRK
Gear Head
How does it compare to the Earthworks 521 ZDT. I thought their specs were a slew rate of 22V/µs, a frequency response 2Hz to 100kHz ±0.1dB and less than 0.0001%...or is that just for their non 500 series preamps?
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
How does it compare to the Earthworks 521 ZDT. I thought their specs were a slew rate of 22V/µs, a frequency response 2Hz to 100kHz ±0.1dB and less than 0.0001%...or is that just for their non 500 series preamps?
Hey CRK,

It’s quite difficult to say how we compare to the Earthworks 521 as their spec sheet is quite vague and uses some ‘interesting test’ measurements. The specs cite the ZDT’s frequency response from 1hz to 200kHz @ 0.5dB, however it does not say at which gain position that is achieved. A lot of preamps can begin introducing harsh roll-offs within the frequency range as you increase the gain control. Our frequency response is +/-0.7dB from 5hz to 200kHz at max gain (68.5dB). Our frequency response also increases down to 1Hz, 2.5dB @ max gain & 1dB @ 35dB gain.

The ZDT spec sheet cites a THD of 0.0001%, however they do not say at which frequency or gain position that performance is achieved... also, that is just a THD measurement and does not include the preamps noise as a factor... Our “THD” can achieve <0.00008% at some gain positions however without accommodating for the noise, then that measurement is useless and is not really achieved by the preamp in real world applications from its input to its output. Our THD+N is 0.0004% at 1kHz, 35dB of gain. Also, we publish how that THD+N changes at different frequency positions - you can check that out on our website.

Slew rate, is an interesting one. It’s one of those specs that is often cited as translating to how ‘fast’ a preamp produces a transient however in reality, it isn’t an audio specification, it’s just a measurement of how fast the output can physically move from one power rail to the other. The only thing that matters for slew rate in terms audio performance is how slew rate may impose output limiting and distortion for frequencies and output level that require a higher slew rate. Our slew rate is more than sufficient up to 200kHz. Our engineer Ed, who designed the Camden 500 already posted a great technical post about slew rate if you want to read more! You should be able to find it previously on this thread.

Also, what’s quite interesting is that Earthworks do not publish the phase shift spec of the ZDT. We suspect that it’s quite good due to its frequency linearity, however we can’t tell as they haven’t published any numbers! We think that the phase shift performance of Camden 500 is one of the key attributes to a preamps ‘transparency’ and that is the key to getting tight, punchy transients at all frequencies. Camden 500’s phase shift is 2.25 degrees from 20Hz to 20kHz at 35dB gain, increasing to 4 degrees at max gain - a Grace Designs M501 is 10 degrees at 40dB gain at 50Hz! That 20hz - 50Hz area is crucial for instruments such as kick drums, bass guitars, and full range instruments. A preamp’s phase shift at 20hz can be quite shocking when it’s measured... when/if it’s published!

In short, as we aren’t exactly sure at what gain positions a lot of the ZDT’s specs are achieved we can’t do a proper like for like comparison... we like to publish as much of specs as possible to be as transparent as possible to our users... it’d be great if others did the same!!! However, we’d love to measure one for ourself and see how we stack up!

All being said, Camden 500 is around half the price as the ZDT; it has the same if not better sonic transparency; it has 8dB more gain; it has a brilliant instrument Di (the ZDT has no hi-z input!); Camden 500 has a perfectly tuned HPF, and finally it has the Mojo analogue saturation that you can use to dial in an even wider range of subtle vintage and modern tones! That makes Camden 500 even more flexible in our book!

Thanks for the question!
Ells
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Maniac
Hi All,

Elliott previously mentioned the Sound on Sound review by Hugh Robjohns and quoted a few lines. But for those who haven't seen it, here is the full review including lots of great plots showing the frequency response, phase, THD, and also showing how Thump and Cream introduce their harmonics. It's a really great technical breakdown that should help elucidate some of the performance you can expect from a Camden 500.

Cranborne Audio Camden 500 |

We just love how thorough Hugh was his with his AP measurements. Proper stuff. If anything - it's a fun review to read and nerd out and!
Old 1st November 2018
Deleted efff87a
That's a very positive and detailed review there. The Camdens were already on my radar but now especially so. I've got the 500ADAT on pre-order and (at least of pair of) the Camden's will likely be next in queue. Early December (estimated 500ADAT delivery) cannot come soon enough. I've wished and waited for the past 5-6 years for someone to come along and build a 500 chassis with ADAT I/O. Thank you Cranborne Audio.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Ordered a pair today - if they are what I'm thinking they will be, there will be more to follow!
📝 Reply