The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranborne Audio releases the cleanest, most transparent preamp on the market
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

has anyone tested the Camden (with mojo engaged) against any of the usual Neve style 500 preamp suspects?

If you had a rack of Camdens would you want to sum a mix through them, compared to something with real transformers in?
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Running 4 channels (mains and outriggers) right now for Beethoven 2nd and Shostakovich 5th Symphonies.

Mics are Josephson C617 mains and DPA 4015 outriggers. Using mojo thump on DPA to add some weight. Working out nicely so far.

For classical recording (I do chamber/solo instrument stuff) how do you think the Camden compares to the Grace? I have a m201 but am interested in trying the new EC2.
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw View Post
For classical recording (I do chamber/solo instrument stuff) how do you think the Camden compares to the Grace? I have a m201 but am interested in trying the new EC2.
I don't know if you would see an eye opening improvement, but they hold their own with anything else I have. No Grace here, but they sound equal to, or in some ways better than DAV, AEA, Merging. Very quiet, very clean, and dynamic, not dull. Build quality is somewhere in the no-frills DAV range. Definitely a better value than the standard Grace/Mil-Media preamps.
Old 15th October 2020
Here for the gear

I purchased two of the Camden 500 pres and am very impressed. I have a Shelford channel here, and find the Camden more usable for both voice over work (German TV MDR) and for singing. In comparison to the RME preamps the same Gefell M930 sounds much more dynamic and full, the vocals sit on top of the mix with less effort. I only wish the high pass would be variable as it sometimes feels like it is cutting some of the desirable low end.

The Mojo function has been useful for mixing work, I recently used them on the stereo bus and they sucked out some boomy low mids and added a transparent and dynamic sounding low end gloss.

P.s. for classical recording I have thrown up a pair of DPA 4006 and the results were phenomenal. Holds its own against the DAD pres which is quite incredible for under €400!

Warmly suggested!
Old 15th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
these things r tragically underrated. I want a while rack. I've noticed no one sells them after they get them.
Old 15th October 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There's some studio that Nigel Godrich is a part of that has a pair of these, that sort of got my attention.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I can't believe it took me till now to find my way to this thread.

Wow.

I think I'm going to need to get my hands on one of these.
📝 Reply