The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 12th June 2020
How are you dealing with the Sowter 3 month lead time?
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear
If you think about it, $6000 for a 670 - say $1000 of that is hardware a hundred hours of effort is only $50 per hour minus overheads - not exactly a huge income for a highly-skilled individual and not very scalable either. It must be a labour of love!
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
If you think about it, $6000 for a 670 - say $1000 of that is hardware a hundred hours of effort is only $50 per hour minus overheads - not exactly a huge income for a highly-skilled individual and not very scalable either. It must be a labour of love!
$1000 doesn’t even cover the tubes! JJ 6386’s are $120 retail and there are 8 of them!
Old 12th June 2020
Quote:
When I spec'd out a Drip 670 v1.0 build (with Sowters) a few years ago it was going to be about $4k USD in parts. Not including the pcb and case. And not including labor. But that does include the certainty that if I screwed something up while building it then it was 100% on me to figure it out. I'm patiently waiting for a Stamchild.

PS. Anyone want to buy a Drip 1.0 670 unpopulated pcb and case? Have the 600 ohm t-attenuators, VU's and some other parts too. US only.
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
When I spec'd out a Drip 670 v1.0 build (with Sowters) a few years ago it was going to be about $4k USD in parts. Not including the pcb and case. And not including labor. But that does include the certainty that if I screwed something up while building it then it was 100% on me to figure it out. I'm patiently waiting for a Stamchild.

PS. Anyone want to buy a Drip 1.0 670 unpopulated pcb and case? Have the 600 ohm t-attenuators, VU's and some other parts too. US only.
Wow - then that 100 hours is practically charity!
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
$1000 doesn’t even cover the tubes! JJ 6386’s are $120 retail and there are 8 of them!
And many JJ 6386 tubes don’t cut it spec wise!
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, according to Wikipedia, min wage in Chile is $389 per month, so the labour is probably a VERY small part of the total cost. In fact, that’s probably why they are hand made (and so slow) - It’s insanely cheap to have them fully made by a person rather than invest in machinery or a contract manufacturing company.
Old 13th June 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Well, according to Wikipedia, min wage in Chile is $389 per month, so the labour is probably a VERY small part of the total cost. In fact, that’s probably why they are hand made (and so slow) - It’s insanely cheap to have them fully made by a person rather than invest in machinery or a contract manufacturing company.
Actually the labor is our biggest cost.

And no, that is not why I hand make them.

I have actually never made a dollar on a Stamchild. I have lost quite a few thousands on them (probably more than 100K so far)

It is insanely cheap to have a third party company make them. Problem is they can't.

So I will continue to hand make them despite giving away my work for free and probably covering part of the build because eventually when I catch up I will see a return in the investment.

I would never allow a technician to manipulate this unit. It's a dangerous machine. Only myself and two other engineers can touch it.
Old 13th June 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
200 hours and yes, you can say that since it's free.

I know I will be reimbursed though, it's an investment
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict
Just received my Stamchild 670 yesterday. It was delayed for a long time in customs probably because of COVID-19.

It is absolutely incredible sounding. I do not know if it sounds like an original one and I don’t care but it sounds like a million dollar on my music on the master bus. Honestly, you should be patient and wait because everything they build is ace. I also bought a U47 clone from them used on Reverb (can’t remember their model number) and it is also absolutely incredible. Much better than my Wunder Audio CM7.

So far I have only had positive experience with their customer service. Yes the wait is long (in my case delivered 6 months after scheduled delivery probably because I have several compressors on order), but it is more than worth it. I am in sonic nirvana

Last edited by michenal; 15th July 2020 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
Just received my Stamchild 670 yesterday. It was delayed for a long time in customs probably because of COVID-19.

It is absolutely incredible sounding. I do not know if it sounds like an original one and I don’t care but it sounds like a million dollar on my music on the master bus. Honestly, you should be patient and wait because everything they build is ace. I also bought a U47 clone from them used on Reverb (can’t remember their model number) and it is also absolutely incredible. Much better than my Wunder Audio CM7.

So far I have only had positive experience with their customer service. Yes the wait is long (in my case 6 months probably because I have several compressors on order), but it is more than worth it. I am in sonic nirvana
Can you clarify how long from ordering to delivery you waited for the 670? 6 months?
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Honestly, you should be patient and wait because everything they build is ace.
Yes the wait is long (in my case 6 months probably because I have several compressors on order), but it is more than worth it.
What is your serial number? Also, did you get yours stepped or not? I'm going to ask for my serial number again (I asked once and didn't get it). I ordered mine within the first 2-3 months of the announcement that it was going to be built. I upgraded mine stepped as soon as that was a new option.
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Can you clarify how long from ordering to delivery you waited for the 670? 6 months?
Scheduled delivery on January 21st 2020. I also ordered a SA-609 at that time. Delivered July 14th 2020. Ordered probably two years prior to that but I cannot find the exact date

Last edited by michenal; 15th July 2020 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Typo, clarification
Old 15th July 2020
Company Rep
Awesome!, thanks for the feedback

We have a bunch of them going out next month. We have been populating the PCB for 30 pieces from home since lockdown

As soon as its lifted we can assemble them and start getting them out!!
Josh
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevemachine View Post
What is your serial number? Also, did you get yours stepped or not? I'm going to ask for my serial number again (I asked once and didn't get it). I ordered mine within the first 2-3 months of the announcement that it was going to be built. I upgraded mine stepped as soon as that was a new option.
I have not checked the serial # and now it is in the rack.. I will be traveling abroad soon so I won't be able to see it for some time. Mine is stepped.

Built quality is incredible. Packing was incredible (triple boxed, each box being wrapped). Sound is incredible. I own and have owned a lot of high end gear over the years that has had a positive impact on my sound (APIs, vintage Pultecs, vintage Neves, Elysia Mpressor, Chandlers, Distressor, Smart C2, Studer R2R). My mixer is a restored Neve Melbourn which has had a large impact on my sound, but this compressor is just something else and is just taking my music to the stratosphere..

It might be that I am still in the honeymoon phase but no piece of gear has had such an obvious immediate incredible pleasing impact on my music.
Old 15th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post

We have a bunch of them going out next month. We have been populating the PCB for 30 pieces from home since lockdown

Josh
hope to see you guys up and running and healthy soon....

I'm on my third stam piece. waiting 18mos now. you mentioned end of the month to me; so I hope I'm in that batch of 30!

Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hm, and this other guy got his in 6 months?
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hm, and this other guy got his in 6 months?
..after promised delivery. My bad for lack of clarity. English is not my mother tongue.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post

Josh
Great to hear you are able to still make progress during these times! Do you have a list of names as to who these 30 Stamchilds are reserved for? Would you be able to cross-check my name with that list? I ordered this piece within minutes of your announcement.

I have money invested with you for over $16k worth of gear. I would really LOVE to be on that list!
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
It might be that I am still in the honeymoon phase but no piece of gear has had such an obvious immediate incredible pleasing impact on my music.
Not to put you on the spot but I'd kind of love to hear a before and after of some of your work if you have clips showing this impact.
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not to put you on the spot but I'd kind of love to hear a before and after of some of your work if you have clips showing this impact.
That would be great to hear!
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
I am preparing to travel abroad with my family for over a month. I will try to do that when I am back.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear
so its been another month, any update on these latest 30?
Old 20th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHensberry View Post
so its been another month, any update on these latest 30?
Ditto.
Old 20th August 2020
Quote:
Ditto.
My understanding from an email I sent asking this is they have to be in their offices to do the final round of QA/testing (maybe some final assembly?) and quarantine has so far prevented that. Their timeline was basically "hopefully the quarantine will be lifted soon".
Old 20th August 2020
Meanwhile it would be great to hear more from people who have and are using these.
Old 20th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Meanwhile it would be great to hear more from people who have and are using these.
Good call. I have been meaning to do a video review using the StamChild to crush some drums! I will try to do that soon.
Old 20th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard Vision View Post
Good call. I have been meaning to do a video review using the StamChild to crush some drums! I will try to do that soon.
It would be great to hear that.
Old 21st August 2020
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity, what generally fails in a vintage fairchild and are there lots of us-based technicians who can repair any issue?

Ditto, the stamchild...what kinds of things potentially fail over the course of time? Guestimate based on fairchilds.

Is a stamchild repairable without being shipped back to Chile eight years from now....are parts particularly unobtanium?

Just curious considering the price.
Old 21st August 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Out of curiosity, what generally fails in a vintage fairchild and are there lots of us-based technicians who can repair any issue?

Ditto, the stamchild...what kinds of things potentially fail over the course of time? Guestimate based on fairchilds.

Is a stamchild repairable without being shipped back to Chile eight years from now....are parts particularly unobtanium?

Just curious considering the price.
Good questions

We have had a few units arrival with broken parts or present a failure the last year.

They were all fixed within days from our local tech at no cost to our clients.

Nothing needs to be shipped back fortunately. We have an amazing guy in New York and Eddie Kramer's tech Ike servicing them for Canada.

World class guys
📝 Reply