The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland View Post
There is a lot of warm equipment in there. Apollo’s get surprisingly warm. I’ve found a top mounted rack exhaust makes a world of difference. I have two Apollo’s, a 4-710D, an LA610mk2, and a console power supply in my rack and it runs cool with the fan. The heat without it made the Apollos and 710 uncomfortably warm for my taste. World of difference.
Rack fan is a great idea. Same as desktop computer's need fans.

Totally agree about converters getting extremely hot. I've got 2, RME and SPL.
You can almost fry eggs on both. They are actually the hottest thing in my rack.

The manual for my SPL Madison clearly states
"Always ensure sufficient air circulation by keeping a distance of 4-5 cm/ 2" to the sides and top of the unit.
Never place the unit on a soft surface(carpet or sofa)"

Any gear that uses tubes/valves, always runs better/ lasts longer with ventilation.

Any Stamchild owners want to chime in how hot their units get after an hour?
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthesparky View Post

Totally agree about converters getting extremely hot. I've got 2, RME and SPL.
You can almost fry eggs on both. They are actually the hottest thing in my rack.

The manual for my SPL Madison clearly states
"Always ensure sufficient air circulation by keeping a distance of 4-5 cm/ 2" to the sides and top of the unit.
Never place the unit on a soft surface(carpet or sofa)"

Any gear that uses tubes/valves, always runs better/ lasts longer with ventilation.

Any Stamchild owners want to chime in how hot their units get after an hour?
My stuff sits in one of these Canford racks:
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/1...lass-door-grey

Before I got the exhaust fans, I was always surprised at how hot things were even with 1U spacing throughout. With the fans, it's all cool to the touch even an hour or two into use.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Maniac

So. I finally got the spareparts. Very easy to change the IC.

Now it sounds like it should. AND to be honest, it sounds pretty amazing!

The circuit still acts a bit weird on really low-end stuff, 10-30hz'ish, but that might just be how a Fairchild acts.. I have never testet af real Fairchild like I have tested this one.

I am a very, very happy customer. It has that forward and umphy reaction, takes the low-end and pushes it up a bit, and noise floor is waaaay better than I expected. As good as any other high end compressor/outboard.

I have been really sceptical, as I always am with gear. Some would call me a gearsnob. I always test every piece of gear I try out to the limit, and most gear won't pass my test's. This SA-670 has now, and I must say that this is a color I thought I would never get at this price point, and that is really something special.

Thanks Josh and the whole Stam team
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've got limited rack space which means only 1/2 inch gaps between the units. To cool the three bits of kit I that seem to run hot I've got 120mm "silent" PC case fans wired in series (to slow them down) blowing into the hot bits of kit, I didn't expect it to make much difference but the temperature of the front panel of my RME802 near the mic pres went from 10c above ambient to just 3c above ambient! The fans are very quiet. They're just slapped on the sides of the units - nothing fancy and they haven't introduced any electrical noise.
Old 31st May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm'BackStudio View Post
So. I finally got the spareparts. Very easy to change the IC.

Now it sounds like it should. AND to be honest, it sounds pretty amazing!

The circuit still acts a bit weird on really low-end stuff, 10-30hz'ish, but that might just be how a Fairchild acts.. I have never testet af real Fairchild like I have tested this one.

I am a very, very happy customer. It has that forward and umphy reaction, takes the low-end and pushes it up a bit, and noise floor is waaaay better than I expected. As good as any other high end compressor/outboard.

I have been really sceptical, as I always am with gear. Some would call me a gearsnob. I always test every piece of gear I try out to the limit, and most gear won't pass my test's. This SA-670 has now, and I must say that this is a color I thought I would never get at this price point, and that is really something special.

Thanks Josh and the whole Stam team
Glad to see you're happy. I think I remember Eric from undertone audio mentioned the inherent issues regarding bottom end with the original Fairchild.

I believe this was one of the reason's he added the feed-forward/ look-ahead feature in his design, which consequently, nearly costs twice the price.

Maybe Stamchild MarkII Josh?

Pretty much 10-30 Hz gets high passed EQ'ed on most mixes anyway during mastering, unless you're talking EDM, so no biggie for most.

Such is the way of the original Fairchild.

How do you find the control action of the side chain AGC set at 90/180/midrange?

Does it help, or is it purely the actual audio itself has a 10-30 Hz buildup?
Old 4th June 2020
Gear Nut

Josh- Can I cancel and get a refund? I sent a request to do this a week ago, and am just getting back and forth emails that my inquiry has been forwarded to accounting.
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Glad to see you're happy. I think I remember Eric from undertone audio mentioned the inherent issues regarding bottom end with the original Fairchild.

I believe this was one of the reason's he added the feed-forward/ look-ahead feature in his design, which consequently, nearly costs twice the price.

Maybe Stamchild MarkII Josh?

Pretty much 10-30 Hz gets high passed EQ'ed on most mixes anyway during mastering, unless you're talking EDM, so no biggie for most.

Such is the way of the original Fairchild.

How do you find the control action of the side chain AGC set at 90/180/midrange?

Does it help, or is it purely the actual audio itself has a 10-30 Hz buildup?
I really like the side chain filters but no, that doesn't change it. I mean, I think that is just the way it is, I can live with it now. Love the action and overall sound!
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper0 View Post
Josh- Can I cancel and get a refund? I sent a request to do this a week ago, and am just getting back and forth emails that my inquiry has been forwarded to accounting.
Hey Jasper, I know it is frustrating. I waited for soooo long, and when it finally came it didn't work properly.. It took a long time to get the spare part, but took two minutes to put in.

If you are after a Fairchild-sound and already waited a long time I would consider waiting a bit more. To me, now, it was all worth it. I am actually making a new order. HA!
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Nut

I bought one from a reseller months ago. While it would be cool to have two of them I would rather get my money back and that be the end of it.
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I bought one from a reseller months ago. While it would be cool to have two of them I would rather get my money back and that be the end of it.
Ahh, didn't know you had one already. Makes sense
Old 5th June 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Of course you can!

Please send me a DM with your PayPal email and I will process it for you

Cheers
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Of course you can!

Please send me a DM with your PayPal email and I will process it for you

Cheers
Thank you, sent..
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear
So at least a 1 year wait for the Stam stuff?

Looking to buy one of the Stam tube Pres and their Stamchild 660..
those of you that have paid your deposits..what kind of wait
should I expect?
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
should I expect?
You should expect that good things come to those who wait.
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Have you read the Thread?

It looks like people are waiting for theirs from the first announcement
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
should I expect?
At this point, I think it's fair to say "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford to wait that long". I would say expect to wait at least a year.
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
should I expect?
The first post on this thread—when the product was launched—was 2 years ago, people are still waiting. CV19 hit of course which doesn't help, but there are other people waiting for products for 2+ years, pre pandemic.

If you assume such timescales the process will be fine.
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The first post on this thread—when the product was launched—was 2 years ago, people are still waiting. CV19 hit of course which doesn't help, but there are other people waiting for products for 2+ years, pre pandemic.

If you assume such timescales the process will be fine.
I'm just working on my own project but I think
I will be done sooner than that!
I guess I should start another thread..
Whats better than Stam?
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
At this point, I think it's fair to say "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford to wait that long". I would say expect to wait at least a year.
Right, I was trying to find out if its a year or more than 2 years
Looks like more than 2 years.
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just working on my own project but I think
I will be done sooner than that!
I guess I should start another thread..
Whats better than Stam?
What's your budget?

Edit: Yes, best starting a new thread.
Old 9th June 2020
Company Rep
I will have 10 660's done in August. 8 have been taken

I will have 10 V72 done in August too, all taken

After the pandemic clears we are going to produce 20 Stamchild's a month (I can only make 5 now). I have everything in place to start this new rhythm, at that rate all pre-orders will be cleared by December this year on Stamchilds at least.

It's more than 100 hours of work to make one, I will make a video one day so people can realize how insane it was to take the challenge to make these units.

Sorry about keeping you waiting, I am working weekends as well to send out more every week. PCB takes me 2 days, assembling another 2 days and quality control takes me 3 days.
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Have you read the Thread?

It looks like people are waiting for theirs from the first announcement
Are you talking to me? Yes I’ve read the thread. I was one of those people who was waiting from the day 1. I got mine at the end of March. And it was definitely worth the wait.
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will have 10 660's done in August. 8 have been taken

I will have 10 V72 done in August too, all taken

After the pandemic clears we are going to produce 20 Stamchild's a month (I can only make 5 now). I have everything in place to start this new rhythm, at that rate all pre-orders will be cleared by December this year on Stamchilds at least.

It's more than 100 hours of work to make one, I will make a video one day so people can realize how insane it was to take the challenge to make these units.

Sorry about keeping you waiting, I am working weekends as well to send out more every week. PCB takes me 2 days, assembling another 2 days and quality control takes me 3 days.
Populating the pcb for one unit takes 2 days? You need to find somebody with a wave-soldering machine!
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Populating the pcb for one unit takes 2 days? You need to find somebody with a wave-soldering machine!
Or buy one... even secondhand ones aren’t too much these days.
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
should I expect?
I ordered four 660s and one 670 all on the day they were announced. I have received my 670 and it rules. Patiently waiting on the 660s ... when it comes to stam, its worth the wait imo
Old 11th June 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Unfortunately can't be done with a machine

If it could then everybody would have mass produced one by now

It takes 2 days for the PCB, 2 more days to assemble one without counting the hours to match tubes and calibration and let it burn for 72 hours in quality control and probably another 2 hours to package it safely.

This is why it costs 6.000 USD now.
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

So Joshua..... I apologize if I missed the explanation earlier in this thread...

but how is it that some of the people on this thread who ordered right at the very beginning - November 2018 - are STILL waiting for their unit
(it is now June 2020.... 19 months later)

however this person - Michael Cozzi - orders a StamChild Jan 2019, and gets his in 6 months!

His testimonial is at the bottom of your Stam Audio web page.

It just doesnt seem fair, somehow.... what am i missing?

https://stamaudio.com/shop/compresso...mchild-sa-670/

`
Quote:

It takes 2 days for the PCB, 2 more days to assemble one without counting the hours to match tubes and calibration and let it burn for 72 hours in quality control and probably another 2 hours to package it safely.

Old 11th June 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
So Joshua..... I apologize if I missed the explanation earlier in this thread...

but how is it that some of the people on this thread who ordered right at the very beginning - November 2018 - are STILL waiting for their unit
(it is now June 2020.... 19 months later)

however this person - Michael Cozzi - orders a StamChild Jan 2019, and gets his in 6 months!

His testimonial is at the bottom of your Stam Audio web page.

It just doesnt seem fair, somehow.... what am i missing?

https://stamaudio.com/shop/compresso...mchild-sa-670/

`
I think you'll find that those who had ordered multiple units and those that were already fully paid were given priority. Josh did announce something to that effect on the Stam Audio Facebook page. Wish I had originally fully paid, now that the Aussy currency has dropped off. Them's the breaks, but at least it has bounced back a bit lately.

Given that Covid-19 is just off it's recent peak in Chile, and DHL have suspended a lot of their services out of Germany and the like, I'm sure Josh is doing his best, given the current tragic situation. Like a lot of companies, he needs to play it safe for the health of his employees.

You'll just have to wait it out like the rest of us. Sori from Stam, replied to my email that they envisage my unit would start getting built in 5-6 weeks. Given the latest circumstances, that's as good as can be expected.
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, you know your product better than I do, but panelizing, a VCR machine for resistors, a hand-placing assembly line, using masking with wavesoldering, and a selective soldering machine are all options that can speed the PCB assembly up. Are these being hand-made, one at a time?
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you'll find that those who had ordered multiple units and those that were already fully paid were given priority. ......
Please read the bottom testimonial on the STAM StamChild 670 web page that I linked to.

Neither of what you proposed is the case.

the person ordered one unit, only put down the usual $500 USD deposit, .... and he had a 30% off coupon no less.

(I am guessing that something went badly wrong with the persons Stam order on something else, so that is why he had a 30% off coupon. Or perhaps another reason.)

anyway - it seems uncool that someone gets their unit in 6 months, and many many others are at 19 months and still waiting. I mean the phrase "get in line" comes to mind.

and I quote, from the Stam website:

"I was first approached by Stam Audio late January 2019 with an offer of a “30% discount to an item of your choice from our catalogue”
Well that got my attention so I scootered around the site and landed on the StamChild SA-670 page. It looked so good and authentic.
I thought, if it sounded as good as it looked then it will be a great addition to my studio. Then I saw the price and to be honest, was a little skeptical as to how good it could be at such a reasonable price, however with the full refund (including shipping) satisfaction guarantee, I went for it. I paid the $500 deposit and was informed it will be around a 10 week delivery time.

Six months later(!) the unit finally arrived (serial number 16). My first impression was wow! This is a quality build, no corners cut. The workmanship inside the unit is equally impressive. I haven’t seen work like this since Pete Cornish hand built my pedal board in the late 80’s. Anyway, the real test was how it sounded and its usability. I tested it on vocals, instruments, 2 bus and mastering chain. I was blown away with how good it sounded. It did everything that was expected of it and more. The added mix/parallel control is a genius move. As an earlier user stated, between 7 & 8 seems to be a sweet spot for the blend. My next move was to compare it to some of the Fairchild plugins, and although the convenience of a plugin is a factor, there is just nothing that compares to an analogue sound going through 18 tubes.

In conclusion, Joshua Stam does top shelf work and stands by his gear. Yes the delivery delays were frustrating but a few hours into using the Stamchild the frustration just melted away. I, for one am going to order more of his products before word catches on and the price goes up ������

Congrats Joshua on an outstanding build & I look forward to checking out more of your products.

Michael Cozzi
Owner Moscozzi Studio"
📝 Reply