The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 26th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthesparky View Post
Really enjoyed the files. Very ‘gooey’ sounding guitar and nice tube roundness with the bass/ drums. Unfortunately only using Sennheiser HD650 headphones for now, but will use proper monitors/ sub later, to rock my world.

Just wondering if you could mention the gain reduction overall? 1-6 dB reduction were the most common settings used by the others on the thread.

Also if you could mention the type of AD/DA conversion you used, to satisfy those pedantic about the quality differences, which I agree, should be taken into account to some degree. But gain staging, when comparing to other files, is also as much of a sucker punch.

Thanks again for the effort in doing this. It will give other future owners a good idea of the Stamchild’s capabilities.

Paul
No problem!

It was 2-3 db gain reduction in the threshold-1 file

And it was 5-6 db gain reduction in the threshold-5 file

Apogee AD/DA. In this case it was the old school Rosetta 800 which is connected to my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt via optical cable.

This was a lot of fun. My favorite part was hearing the depth the StamChild added to the reverb tail on the snare drum.

Other fun fact...I was using my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (250 OHM) for monitoring and had those being powered by my Little Labs Monotor Headphone Amp. I've been really enjoying this setup for mixing and mastering. The detail I can hear is outstanding.

My studio monitors are Yamaha HS80M which I've gotten so used to over the last 7 years. I do plan on upgrading soon to the Neumann KH310, though
Old 26th October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard Vision View Post
No problem!

It was 2-3 db gain reduction in the threshold-1 file

And it was 5-6 db gain reduction in the threshold-5 file

Apogee AD/DA. In this case it was the old school Rosetta 800 which is connected to my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt via optical cable.

This was a lot of fun. My favorite part was hearing the depth the StamChild added to the reverb tail on the snare drum
That conversion should satisfy most. Snare reverb depth took me by surprise also. It’s a fun short track to listen too, as far as panned toms on the drums, and slap bass, then finishes on a good groove with all instruments blending together.
Old 26th October 2019
I've been reading this post / thread.... and slightly wish I'd bought the Stamchild ( gg ) and I'm a totally happy Stam constomer.
Currently waiting for my fourth item from them and because I have a load of other outboard here its not exactly stopping me getting me to do my normal work here in the UK ( 5 songs on major radio in the last year or so )

I think there gear looks great and sounds even better.

I 've also had great emails back from Josh and Camila when there has been delays.

So no complaints from me.

Also, when a company is starting up, I'm keen in our small community to build them up rather than bash them.... that's me

Ian
Old 27th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
Thanks for the files. My two cents: I downloaded the file for the UnFairchild, Shadow Hills, Stamchild and Pomchild. Level matched them. To me there's a bit difference in them. The Stam seems to accentuate the sibilance on this sample, the Shadow Hills, and the Unfairchild were bright but not as sibilant. POM seemed the warmest and smoothest. Don't know if all the same settings were used for all, but in this piece, the Unfairchild and POM were most pleasing to me. Quite frankly the Stam sounded more like the Shadow Hills than the other "Faichild" types. Your opinion and ears may vary.
Firstly thanks to Unheard Vision for providing the samples so we could finally hear the Stamchild.
I did the same level matching and critical listening and I agree. The Unfairchild and the POM keep the layers of the sound intact and don't suck and glue as much as the Stam.
I noticed that the transients on the aren't as fast or as punchy (this might be the setting or the converters).
To me the Stam sounds good but lacks bottom end compared to the others.
Also the POM has a midrange and low end warmth and clarity the others don't have, not a smiley curve in sight at all.
Old 28th October 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Firstly thanks to Unheard Vision for providing the samples so we could finally hear the Stamchild.
I did the same level matching and critical listening and I agree. The Unfairchild and the POM keep the layers of the sound intact and don't suck and glue as much as the Stam.
I noticed that the transients on the aren't as fast or as punchy (this might be the setting or the converters).
Also the POM has a midrange and low end warmth and clarity the others don't have, not a smiley curve in sight at all.
Thanks for stating your opinion

Unfortunately it's impossible to make an objective judgment on these files. The compression settings are not the same.

The Sowter replicas have the exact same bandwidth and frequency response as the original transformers, so much that it sounds identical to an original Fairchild, same speed, same punch, same frequency response.

You will have to try it for yourself and I can guaranteed you that it will blow your mind as it has for everybody who has received it
Old 28th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
My pleasure! You definitely need to keep in mind the settings I used are not the same as what you are hearing with the POM or UnFairchild. For example...the person who used the UnFairchild mentioned the following:

No more than 1db GR at the highest peak
Attack 36ms
Release 200ms

My settings were much more extreme with at least 2-4db gain reduction throughout. And I was using time constant 1...which equals .2ms attack and .3 seconds release. This is obviously much different compression settings than the UnFairchild...so the sound is going to be naturally different.

As with any piece of gear...you can't know what it will truly sound like until you are listening in your own environment and turning the knobs yourself to understand what it can do to whatever signal you are passing thru it

I always take files I hear in shootouts with a grain of salt because there are just way too many variables (between the different settings, conversion, cables...etc).

Having said that...I have heard nothing but great things about the POM and UnFairchild...and I'm sure both sound just as fantastic as the StamChild does (and they probably also have their own flavors as well!)
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Head
[QUOTE=Unheard Vision;14289301]My pleasure! You definitely need to keep in mind the settings I used are not the same as what you are hearing with the POM or UnFairchild. For example...the person who used the UnFairchild mentioned the following:

Attack 36ms
Release 200ms

My settings were much more extreme with at least 2-4db gain reduction throughout. And I was using time constant 1...which equals .2ms attack and .3 seconds release. This is obviously much different compression settings than the UnFairchild...so the sound is going to be naturally different.

Good point.

Just to add that there were no rules in that compressor comparison thread that I linked, as far as attack and release settings.

You will find every file listed has a different attack/ release, so no direct comparison can be made, as settings vary wildly.

Only stipulation was to adjust levels to -24 dB RMS, which should be double checked and not assumed to be correct, then gain adjusted accordingly to help with any comparison.

Personally I would have opened up the attack to allow more initial transient, but hey, it’s your compressor, you decide, and why not have some fun in the process.
Old 28th October 2019
[QUOTE=paulthesparky;14289637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard Vision View Post
My pleasure! You definitely need to keep in mind the settings I used are not the same as what you are hearing with the POM or UnFairchild. For example...the person who used the UnFairchild mentioned the following:

Attack 36ms
Release 200ms

Good point.

Just to add that there were no rules in that compressor comparison thread that I linked, as far as attack and release settings.

You will find every file listed has a different attack/ release, so no direct comparison can be made, as settings vary wildly.

Only stipulation was to adjust levels to -24 dB RMS, which should be double checked and not assumed to be correct, then gain adjusted accordingly to help with any comparison.

Personally I would have opened up the attack to allow more initial transient, but hey, it’s your compressor, you decide, and why not have some fun in the process.
We are actually talking about two different compressor comparison threads now haha. Although your point is still valid! It was definitely fun running both files thru the StamChild
Old 31st October 2019
Deleted d7ec93e
I have one ordered and hope someone can
shine some light on what maintaining this beast will be like?

Does it consume alot of power?
Approximately how often will it need new tubes?
How many tubes should I have around at any given time? Fuses?

Thank you
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfar View Post
I have one ordered and hope someone can
shine some light on what maintaining this beast will be like?

Does it consume alot of power?
Approximately how often will it need new tubes?
How many tubes should I have around at any given time? Fuses?

Thank you
Good question! I would love to hear Joshua's thoughts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep
We have matched pairs of tubes, burned and ready to send out if anybody ever has an issue as well as other spare parts
We let these units burn 5 days before shipping them so it is highly unlikely that you will have an issue
We also have a tech in NY who service these units with our full support and a very fast service

With the quality of these components and the engineering behind them it will be highly unlikely that they will need servicing for many years unless a tube fails, old tubes can go, but other than that you should be able to enjoy this hassle free

If not, we are here for you

By the way, 4 spots left and we are sold out of this baby. Grab one while you can
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Can someone put a meter on this thing and verify the current draw?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Gonna order one in 2020 hopefully it will arrive on time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs View Post
Gonna order one in 2020 hopefully it will arrive on time.
Josh's post from 2 days ago said there are only 4 more available out of the 200 they're making right now. I'm not a salesman....just pointing that out in case you hadn't seen it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

...... :D
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Still don't have mine. I've been told that it would ship within ten days just about every ten days since August. Apparently, it has been built and tested and sitting on a shelf waiting for them to ship it for about two weeks now. At least that's what I've been told at this point. This is after being told over a month ago that mine was going to be the next one to go out.

Just updating, for anyone wondering what's going on with the Stamchild.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Last edited by cgarges; 6 days ago at 08:14 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Well that's ridiculous. But somehow not at all surprising.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I was told mid nov that my stamchild and two NOS/output upgrade SA-EQP1As would be ready early dec.

Fingers crossed ... I saw some posts on IG that showed a bunch of them getting ready. seems like they are coming down the line...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
Still don't have mine. I've been told that it would ship within ten days just about every ten days since August. Apparently, it has been built and tested and sitting on a shelf waiting for them to ship it for about two weeks now. At least that's what I've been told at this point. This is after being told over a month ago that mine was going to be the next one to go out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Is there a 'thumbs down' button?
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep
Quote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I was under the impression you requested for it to be sent to a new address and that it was going out this week to that one?

We have encountered many problems with the countries situation, from the boxes, to the inside packaging and DHL barely operating.

I hope you can enjoy it now that it can finally reach you. We have many more pieces ready of this model which will go out the next 10 days
Old 6 days ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
I was told mid nov that my stamchild and two NOS/output upgrade SA-EQP1As would be ready early dec.

Fingers crossed ... I saw some posts on IG that showed a bunch of them getting ready. seems like they are coming down the line...
We are on track for your 3 pieces
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I was under the impression you requested for it to be sent to a new address and that it was going out this week to that one.
I sent the address change on Monday after I did not get a tracking number on Friday as promised. (That was four days ago, by the way--- stilll no tracking number.) We had discussed the address change necessity on numerous occasions if shipment was going to be further delayed AGAIN, so don't act surprised by this.

I'm willing to put money on a bet that it won't go out this week, since today is the last day this week. So at best, it will go out two weeks after the last promised shipping date (a week ago today), but since I've been promised various shipping dates as far back as March, I'm willing to bet that there will be further delays.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prove me wrong.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We are on track for your 3 pieces
Thank You Josh! So stoked!
Old 5 days ago
Company Rep
Quote:
I sent the address change on Monday after I did not get a tracking number on Friday as promised. (That was four days ago, by the way--- stilll no tracking number.) We had discussed the address change necessity on numerous occasions if shipment was going to be further delayed AGAIN, so don't act surprised by this.

I'm willing to put money on a bet that it won't go out this week, since today is the last day this week. So at best, it will go out two weeks after the last promised shipping date (a week ago today), but since I've been promised various shipping dates as far back as March, I'm willing to bet that there will be further delays.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prove me wrong.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I spoke with Camila and we will get you the tracking number on Monday first thing provided we can come into the office and work, fingers crossed.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
provided we can come into the office and work, fingers crossed.
Is this because of the protests / riots? Can you quantify how much risk there is now in ordering Stam products?
Old 3 days ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Is this because of the protests / riots? Can you quantify how much risk there is now in ordering Stam products?
No risk
Just limited working hours making things slower
We are in a remote location away from the protests thankfully
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This is after being told over a month ago that mine was going to be the next one to go out.
On October 31 I got an mail from Camila saying that mine was the next one to go out. The only thing I've heard after that was that it's delayed because of the protests.
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
On October 31 I got an mail from Camila saying that mine was the next one to go out. The only thing I've heard after that was that it's delayed because of the protests.
When did you ordered it ?
Old 4 hours ago
Company Rep
Quite a few guys just got theirs here
I hope they can chime in!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search