The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix:analog 2.0 – real-time online analog processing
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Head

In case you missed it...we brought the Distopik VCA Precision Series compressor online a few days ago!

Here's its gearslutz thread!

This is how it looks in the app:

It's the one in the middle:

If you've been following us on social media you may be aware that we accidentally short-circuited the Telefunken M15.

We're happy to announce that the spare parts arrived and it should be online before Friday!

We've also been releasing tons of bug fixes, minor and a few major updates that were not big enough for me to have an excuse to write a post about. These changes include improved stability of the app, the split of the download/bounce process and its stability (it's pretty much 100% stable now) and the consequential pricing system tweak, a few user requested UX improvements...

If you haven't been using the service in a while, I recommend that you stop by and see what's new for you.

RMS and Peak meter will be online today!
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head

Bad news: we couldn't fix the M15 yet :(

Good news: we decided to go public on how we remote-control analog gear!

Old 13th September 2018
Gear Head

Check the blog and the real-time analog processing service!

Here's how it works:

By the way: the M15 is back in the server room. While fixing it, we decided to upgrade it too. It will now connect to the server over USB and we're just about to do a few last optimizations and tests. It will be online within 7 days.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

You guys are geniuses
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
You guys are geniuses
Amen!
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroflic View Post
Bad news: we couldn't fix the M15 yet :(

Good news: we decided to go public on how we remote-control analog gear!

You guys might have an even brighter future opening a business converting the tons of pure analog gear out there to be digitally recallable and controllable.
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
You guys might have an even brighter future opening a business converting the tons of pure analog gear out there to be digitally recallable and controllable.
That's a great idea and we might soon do it!

The only problem is that when we digitalize the controls of a model for the first time, it costs a lot of R&D time and material.

The devices that we can digitalize the controls of at a fair price right now are only Fairchilds, Pultecs, most Sontec/GML-like EQs, most SSL G bus-like compressors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroflic View Post
By the way: the M15 is back in the server room. While fixing it, we decided to upgrade it too. It will now connect to the server over USB and we're just about to do a few last optimizations and tests. It will be online within 7 days.
Telefunken M15 is online!

We'll also be arming it with a fresh tape this week.

Poor thing deserves some love after the disaster we put it through!

Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Head

It's time to take you on a short office/server room tour and answer the number one question:

Thanks you for the support everyone!
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear
Just get a plate reverb and I’ll love u
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Just get a plate reverb and I’ll love u
We talked with that local studio that has that plate reverb in the image again.

We came to a conclusion that if both parties decide to do this, the plate would stay at their place, we'd set up a server at their place and they'd provide a stable internet connection and maintenance. When they'd need the plate, they'd just book it like other users, but wouldn't have to pay.

Though slowly, things ARE moving forward
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

We just plugged a new piece of gear into the system. This time it's a brickwall limiter!

The Distopik Precision Series Brickwall Limiter is one of the fastest analog limiters in the world.

Inspired by one of the Tony Maserati's favourite limiters, it retains dynamic information at the tops of the peaks, uses no time-delay or phase-shift-delay tricks and keeps the distortion for all levels below the limiting threshold as low as possible.

It features a JFET and a MOSFET mode:
  • the MOSFET is a stiff/hard limiting mode
  • the JFET is a silky/soft mode

Both modes are capable of brickwall limiting and have their own characteristic sounds.

You can read more about our digitally controllable brickwall limiter at Distopik Precision Series Brickwall Limiter.

The physical unit:

The graphical user interface:

How it looks like in action:

Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Finally had a chance to sign up for this. Will give it a go early next week, hopefully. I have to say my initial scepticism (still available to read for all on the first page) has completely faded away and I look forward to testing this system.

This is actually a system that could also be used for demoing rare and boutique analogue hardware units from any place on earth so hopefully you guys at Mix:Analog can get in touch with various hardware vendors and perhaps source some units "for free" that you can setup in a DEMO SHOP rack that people can use to listen to the things, against a small fee (you could also just lower the streaming quality to something ordinary like mp3 320kb or similar).

Heck, perhaps you could as a side business become a hardware vendor for various brands, not just your own hardware stuff. One of the most difficult things in buying uncommon hardware is that it's usually impossible to get a demo unit.

Or perhaps alternatively you could be a 3rd party expert who helps various manufacturers to setup their own system for online real-time demoing of their equipment? Whatever the case, you really have an interesting business and so many opportunities here. Wish you the best of luck!!
Old 7th October 2018
Here for the gear

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a while! Will have to try your services out. How to get a quote on making SSL g384 or GML 8200 with digital controls? Also is it possible to buy gear from you that already have been modified? Best Erik
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Finally had a chance to sign up for this. Will give it a go early next week, hopefully. I have to say my initial scepticism (still available to read for all on the first page) has completely faded away and I look forward to testing this system.

This is actually a system that could also be used for demoing rare and boutique analogue hardware units from any place on earth so hopefully you guys at Mix:Analog can get in touch with various hardware vendors and perhaps source some units "for free" that you can setup in a DEMO SHOP rack that people can use to listen to the things, against a small fee (you could also just lower the streaming quality to something ordinary like mp3 320kb or similar).

Heck, perhaps you could as a side business become a hardware vendor for various brands, not just your own hardware stuff. One of the most difficult things in buying uncommon hardware is that it's usually impossible to get a demo unit.

Or perhaps alternatively you could be a 3rd party expert who helps various manufacturers to setup their own system for online real-time demoing of their equipment? Whatever the case, you really have an interesting business and so many opportunities here. Wish you the best of luck!!
Very solid ideas, bmanic!

There are so many uses for remote audio processing that I really hope this company catches on. Once they add an LA-2A/3A, 1176 blue/black and expand to guitar amps I do believe that will happen. If they sold stocks I would buy a few right now...my only real complaint is that the name could be better.

Mix Analog is so generic and it does not define what the company is about. TeleAudio Gear or RemoteAudio Processing...something along those lines. That won't matter if the name catches on but then again I never did like a lot of Silicon Valley companies' names.

Also, they need to drop the trademarked names off their site otherwise they will get sued here in the United States.
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Or perhaps alternatively you could be a 3rd party expert who helps various manufacturers to set up their own system for online real-time demoing of their equipment? Whatever the case, you really have an interesting business and so many opportunities here. Wish you the best of luck!!
Thanks for giving us a chance!

To demo rare and boutique units that are on sale, we'd probably have to use the servos from 2016 test. We'd be comfortable temporarily replacing the pots with our tech, because I know we wouldn't do anything irreversible, but from an owners perspective, I'd totally understand not being able to trust anyone but Edison/Tesla.

We're actually already in touch with a few hardware vendors. A package from Elysia should have arrived yesterday, but I guess it's a day late and if you've checked our latest video, you might have seen the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter on one of the tables.

We'll post the mandatory unboxing videos.

Mix:analog will, in fact, play the role of a hardware demoing service among other roles. Becoming a hardware vendor or supporting them with our tech is inevitable.

Thanks for the nice wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyoptic View Post
This is the coolest thing I've seen in a while! Will have to try your services out. How to get a quote on making SSL g384 or GML 8200 with digital controls? Also is it possible to buy gear from you that already have been modified? Best Erik
We're honored!

There are 2 options at the moment:
  • we can add you to the lists of engineers that are interested in having their gear modded to have digital controls and recall (each device has its own list), when a list reaches 10 members we'll contact you all if you're still interested, design a DIY kit that we'll be able to support for years to come. the costs will be lower in this case
  • the price will be higher, but we design the DIY kit (that we'll be able to support for years) for you immediately and you're forever credited as the founder of the DIY kit (you don't get any % from the sales, sorry)

We can't use the existing solutions, because they require advanced electronics skills to be used. The DIY kit must be easy to install and maintain.

What the DIY kits would include:
  • all the components that need to be built into a device to make it digitally controllable
  • printed instructions with photos on how to mod your device (basic electronics skills would be required)
  • a download link for the control plug-in
  • free online support

An online help desk would be set up at Distopik - Innovative Controls For Analog Gear where we'll be offering articles, guides, email, and live chat support.

Development costs of hardware are very high as you can imagine. The prices would be something like this:

Rough GML 8200 DIY kit prices:
  • 1400€ at 10 customers
  • 3900€ at 1 customer

Rough SSL g384 DIY kit prices:
  • 600€ at 10 customers
  • 2100€ at 1 customer

Rough LA2A DIY kit prices:
  • 400€ at 10 customers
  • 1400€ at 1 customer

We'll be expanding Distopik - Innovative Controls For Analog Gear, if any of these two options produce a deal. Right now, mix:analog is our main project and requires 99% of our manpower, including marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Very solid ideas, bmanic!

There are so many uses for remote audio processing that I really hope this company catches on. Once they add an LA-2A/3A, 1176 blue/black and expand to guitar amps I do believe that will happen. If they sold stocks I would buy a few right now...my only real complaint is that the name could be better.

Mix Analog is so generic and it does not define what the company is about. TeleAudio Gear or RemoteAudio Processing...something along those lines. That won't matter if the name catches on but then again I never did like a lot of Silicon Valley companies' names.

Also, they need to drop the trademarked names off their site otherwise they will get sued here in the United States.
1176 will be online in about 1-2 weeks.

We can design and build digitally controllable LA-2A's for roughly 2000€ per unit and 1176s for roughly 1800€ per unit, control plug-ins included, under the brand Distopik.

If you're really interested, mail me at [email protected] and we'll go into specifics.

We'd be very glad to have our lead electronics work on more audio gear instead of GPS disciplined oscillator real-time clocks to bring some extra budget in.

-------------------------

We moved the Brickwall Limiter into the Rack1 Mastering signal chain:

And the AVC in front of the Telefunken M15 for you to be able to drive it hotter. :grooves:

Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

We received a Bettermaker Mastering Limiter!

You might have already caught a glimpse of it in one of our previous YouTube videos, but today we're making it official!

Bettermaker, the Polish company on the cutting edge of analog audio, have sent us their Mastering Limiter to plug it into the cloud at MIX:ANALOG | Real-time Online ANALOG Audio Processing!

Make sure you're with us when we plug it into the cloud!

Thanks Bettermaker!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

So has anyone been using this service? I've always wished that something like this existed, but I never thought that it would happen. Really happy to see that somebody has put it into practice. Genius idea with huge potential.

I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes myself, but I would be interested to hear other people's experiences in the meantime!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

i am using it. the fairchild is a delight to use.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search