The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio Announces Thunderbolt™ Beta Driver for Windows Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

it seems to be good now, it is correctly detected.
I will give it a try, it is late here, i will do basic testing.

So, the answer is: "force TB usage on the Orion by holding top right button and set the comm interface parameter to thunderbolt"

I'm happy
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronerone View Post
it seems to be good now, it is correctly detected.
I will give it a try, it is late here, i will do basic testing.

So, the answer is: "force TB usage on the Orion by holding top right button and set the comm interface parameter to thunderbolt"

I'm happy
was this mac or windows?

If you did not get it to work in windows read the whole post that I posted I edited it
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
was this mac or windows?

If you did not get it to work in windows read the whole post that I posted I edited it
That was on Windows, but it seems the Orion either has to work in usb or TB, but not automatically switch between these two modes.
So, it has to be forced to do, by the method i quoted.
I read your previous post, yes, this what i expected to get but couldn't.
Now after forcing the Orion to work in TB it's ok.

I will have one more question, to the Antelope engineer who wrote several comments earlier in the post:
-> as the orion is still in beta TB drivers, it can't handle Windows sound.
As a workaround, would it be safe to let a USB cable attached (so it would be dual attached: TB + USB) and manually switch from one to other with the top right button?

I expected to be able to play music with foobar2000 through TB ASIO drivers, but it doens't show in the list, so i would like to run USB driver when needed.

I thank you again daskeladden for your advices .
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I will have one more question, to the Antelope engineer who wrote several comments earlier in the post:
-> as the orion is still in beta TB drivers, it can't handle Windows sound.
As a workaround, would it be safe to let a USB cable attached (so it would be dual attached: TB + USB) and manually switch from one to other with the top right button?

I expected to be able to play music with foobar2000 through TB ASIO drivers, but it doens't show in the list, so i would like to run USB driver when needed.
hi @senchev,
would you have the answer to that question?
I thank you in advance,
Ron.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Head

Ouch, AFX2DAW 399$
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

@ronerone,

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm out of office and only check mail and GS occasionally.

For Foobar2000 to work over ASIO, you'll need an additional component (will prompt for restart of the application): foobar2000: Components Repository - ASIO support

When back in Foobar2000, from File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> ASIO, check the "Use 64-bit ASIO drivers" and restart. After that, select the Antelope Audio Thunderbolt as driver in Playback -> Output.

Another suggestion - you can use VB-Audio VoiceMeeter - it creates a virtual Windows Audio device that can be routed on top of the Antelope ASIO driver.

Also note, that currently only single ASIO application is supported (you cannot use the DAW at the same time as VoiceMeeter, but you can have unlimited number of Windows Audio applications running via VoiceMeeter).

The next version of the driver should be released soon - it will allow for multiple ASIO applications at the same time (so no need to close VoiceMeeter). If nothing goes wrong, it should be out by the end of the year, perhaps sooner.

In the beginning of the next year, we'll be releasing the final version of the driver, with Windows Audio support, fully functional.

Best regards,
Svetoslav Enchev
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

@senchev,

no problem, thank you for your answer.

In fact i was asking for foobar2000 cause i was previously using it with ASIO on RME Fireface, i thought it was natively supported, i will have a look. (Edit: That ASIO addon works very well!! excellent)

i thank you for your suggestion regarding VoiceMeeter, in fact i had seen it on antelope site but not really found of third party bridge software and so on. i will wait until the release of the driver!

For you information, i have created ticket #8386 regarding a freeze in had several times, which seemed to be related to FPGA overload according to other references to the same error, but which i suspect to be a screensaver bug
Not sure about it and in case it is, i suppose it is only hardware related, not windows TB driver related, so not in your scope.
(EDIT: i reproduced the issue: this is due to screensaver... a bug to track!)

Finally, i was querying you about the possibility to double attach the orion (TB +USB) and alternatively use one technology or the other by switching which the front button and selecting TB ou USB, depending on the needs.I wanted to know if there were some risks for the Orion (in terms of electrical surge).

I thank you!
Ronan.
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
@senchev,

Finally, i was querying you about the possibility to double attach the orion (TB +USB) and alternatively use one technology or the other by switching which the front button and selecting TB ou USB, depending on the needs.I wanted to know if there were some risks for the Orion (in terms of electrical surge).
It is perfectly fine to have both USB and Thunderbolt attached and switching the active interface from the device.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by senchev View Post
It is perfectly fine to have both USB and Thunderbolt attached and switching the active interface from the device.
Thank you for your answer
Have a good day!
Old 1st December 2018
Gear Head

Hi guys,
made a few tests with buffer sizes, both in usb and TB connections.
My system is Windows 10 (updated) on:

- gigabyte z370 gaming 7 motherboard
- i78700k
- 32G RAM
- gc-alpine ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt addin card
- apple TB3 to TB2 adapter

My session is a 50 tracks (audio only, midi and virtual inst were rendered) and Aux one in pro tools vanilla 2018.10.
FX are UAD and Native ones.

In USB, i'm able to go down to 64 samples with no audio drops, crackles or anything bad. The software doesn't allows do go lower than 64.
System usage show stable cpu cores usage, total let's fill we are not so far from limits.

In Thunderbolt, i start to have sound issues (very few) at 64 samples.
system usage show strange up and down usage of the cpu cores, even if nothing is playing. Total is at maximum and individual cpu cores are showning a beautiful pyramidal graph, lower are core 1 and 12, higher is core 6 (max 91% in the example)
At 32 samples, with no project loaded, cpu cores are jumping, randomly (total jumps to more than 80%, all cores jump to more than 50%).
loading the same project, pro tools crashes, or indicates cpu is over, or doesn't allow playing the project. I remember i could make it work few days ago but it was horribly cracking all ways.
I know TB driver is beta, so this is not to complain , but to report and get some feedback from those who also tested that way.
Thank you.
Ronan.

Last edited by ronerone; 1st December 2018 at 02:03 AM..
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

Windows Thunderbolt driver now officially released and supported

Hello all,

Yesterday we pushed the Windows Thunderbolt driver out of Beta and is now officially supported release.

During the Beta period we fixed the outstanding bugs and tweaked the performance. You can check how the Discrete 8 compares to other devices on the Low Latency Performance Data Base Thread. I'd like to thank @TAFKAT for his great work on the LLP Database and for measuring the Discrete 8.
Latency-wise we were able to get stable playback at 192kHz with 64 samples buffer size in Studio One on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, which on the Discrete 8 gets you sub-millisecond round-trip latency (0.995ms). The other Antelope Audio Thunderbolt interfaces will show slightly different, but similar and still very low RTL latency numbers (withing ~20 samples), because of the different AD/DA chips used.

The driver is still in active development and a new Beta version will be released later this quarter to support multiple ASIO clients working simultaneously and AFX2DAW. Further release will add native Windows Audio support. Stay tuned!

We've updated the Thunderbolt driver page to include more answers to FAQs, recommended cables and adapters, and a list of known good configuration.

Antelope Audio Windows Thunderbolt™ Driver | Antelope Audio

Special thanks to our Beta users who helped us develop and deliver the driver!

Best regards,
Svetoslav Enchev
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Maniac

From yesterday, my thunderbolt connection has been randomly disconnecting and then refusing to reconnect unless I restart my PC (and sometimes even after that). The beta driver worked fine for months until yesterday (coincidently when the TB driver released?). Nothing on my system has changed.
I have updated the firmware to the latest version. Did a factory reset (twice), power cycled and reinstalled the TB driver (twice). It seemed to be working fine again after that, but has now started disconnecting at random again.
This appears to be a consistent problem now. Live support are not available over the weekend.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
From yesterday, my thunderbolt connection has been randomly disconnecting and then refusing to reconnect unless I restart my PC (and sometimes even after that). The beta driver worked fine for months until yesterday (coincidently when the TB driver released?). Nothing on my system has changed.
I have updated the firmware to the latest version. Did a factory reset (twice), power cycled and reinstalled the TB driver (twice). It seemed to be working fine again after that, but has now started disconnecting at random again.
This appears to be a consistent problem now. Live support are not available over the weekend.
After the Firmware update did you turn off the Interface and disconnect the power cable from the Interface for a few seconds, then connects again? I know that this fixed the same issue on the Presonus Quantum..so worth a try
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
This looks like a hardware issue to me, so you might need repair. Please contact technical support on Monday, so they can help.
Where do you see the device disconnecting - is it in the Device Manager, or from the Launcher? If it's the latter, can you check the Manager Server logs (available from the Admin menu on the launcher) to see if the manager server disconnects the device too?

By the way, which device and HW revision do you have?
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This looks like a hardware issue to me, so you might need repair. Please contact technical support on Monday, so they can help.
Where do you see the device disconnecting - is it in the Device Manager, or from the Launcher? If it's the latter, can you check the Manager Server logs (available from the Admin menu on the launcher) to see if the manager server disconnects the device too?

By the way, which device and HW revision do you have?
Hey, I appreciate the reply. It is an original Zen Tour. It just disconnected (I am using an ASIO bridge to watch Youtube, so not sure if that can cause this?) and the log says "Removed device: Zen Tour" follows by a string of numbers and letters.
I have attached an image.

Cheers!

*EDIT* Seems that the ASIO bridge to get Win10 system audio may have been the issue. I uninstalled it and am in Cubase and everything is working normally so far for the last hour or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio Announces Thunderbolt™ Beta Driver for Windows-ant-error-02.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have just finished building a PC, built around an AMD Threadripper. I bought the Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card and using a TB2 cable with TB3 Apple adapter, Windows recognizes the Zen Studio+.

I installed the official TB drivers but the launcher does not see the interface and it does not show in Device Manager.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio Announces Thunderbolt™ Beta Driver for Windows-50234229_10156199779862549_5972690613986918400_o.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tea View Post
I have just finished building a PC, built around an AMD Threadripper. I bought the Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card and using a TB2 cable with TB3 Apple adapter, Windows recognizes the Zen Studio+.

I installed the official TB drivers but the launcher does not see the interface and it does not show in Device Manager.

Any suggestions?
did you read this?
Thunderbolt 3 AMD Threadripper 1950X + RTX [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 1803 [theitsage] – Build Guides – External Graphics Card Forum

I thought that AMD did not support thunderbolt but I guess with some kind of tweaking it does. It does not say if he is using the Apple adapter or the Startech adapter. I know some devices wants the Startech adapter only
Do you see this in Device Manager:
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah that's the original thread I decided to build my PC on. I see the TB entry in device manager but no sound/audio devices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tea View Post
Yeah that's the original thread I decided to build my PC on. I see the TB entry in device manager but no sound/audio devices.
My thunderbolt software settings look like this:

You have probably done this:
- I think I remember there was a switch between the usb and the thunderbolt on the Antelope devices
- Updated your firmware (maybe not possible if it don't find the device). Maybe you can use the USB to update
- Turn your pc completely off and disconnect the power cable from the pc one minute. Do the same thing with your audio device.
Sometimes this helps on different issues
- Tried older versions of of the Thunderbolt software, I know one that was lucky with this version: 16.3.61.275
- Tried older drivers for your audio device

On the Antelope website this info:
Quote:
For Thunderbolt™ 3 ports – Thunderbolt™ 3 to Thunderbolt™ 2 Adapter: we recommend using the StarTech Thunderbolt™ 3 to Thunderbolt™
That could maybe be your problem since your Thunderbolt port seems fine, just windows not recognising the device. A pity if that is your problem since it's pretty expensive. But the strange thing when I look at your picture it looks like everything is okay, even the Thunderbolt Software finds the device.

And like you said it should show here to:
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions...

- Tried older versions of of the Thunderbolt software

I couldn't find an archive on Gigabyte or for my Antelope TB, waiting for their support to get back to me.

I just ordered the Startech adapter. The eGPU guy has only used TB3 devices so did not need the adapter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the same issue. My Blade 15 (2018) recognizes the TB connection on the Discreet 8 for a moment and then it disappears. I thought I was doing something wrong but it sounds like the driver is flaky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I have the same issue. My Blade 15 (2018) recognizes the TB connection on the Discreet 8 for a moment and then it disappears. I thought I was doing something wrong but it sounds like the driver is flaky.
What kind of adapter do you use, Startech or Apple?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
What kind of adapter do you use, Startech or Apple?
Apple
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I recently had some issues with my Zen Tour connecting over TB in Windows. The ones posted since sound similar.

I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling and repairing various driver installations.
I reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers, Thunderbolt driver software, Antelope Thunderbolt drivers, LAN Drivers (my network adapter seems to randomly become disabled when TB is active), Intel VGA drivers and ran a repair on the Intel Management Engine drivers. After a system restart, the Zen Tour was connecting normally again over Thunderbolt.
Just in case someone else has a similar issue, reinstalling these things is worth trying if you are having connection issues.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh well, I tried. I contacted support for the laptop also. I've been at it all day :-( . No luck. I did get the discreet 8 detected in the Intel driver box but no sound and Cubase's asio mode wouldn't accept it. Nor would the voicemeeter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Oh well, I tried. I contacted support for the laptop also. I've been at it all day :-( . No luck. I did get the discreet 8 detected in the Intel driver box but no sound and Cubase's asio mode wouldn't accept it. Nor would the voicemeeter.
It was voicemeeter that caused my system to stop recognising the interface over TB.
I had to remove voicemeeter first, then perform the fixes I suggested. My Win10 installation really did not like the ASIO bridge software and trying to use them corrupted various software/drivers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was voicemeeter that caused my system to stop recognising the interface over TB.
I had to remove voicemeeter first, then perform the fixes I suggested. My Win10 installation really did not like the ASIO bridge software and trying to use them corrupted various software/drivers.
I just bought a new cable to make sure that wasn't the issue. The thunderbolt driver is detected but no ASIO friendly app will work. In Cubase, it states "Device not connected" when I select the "Discreet8 ASIO driver" from the drop down. I made sure the D8 was set to thunderbolt. Looks like I got more work to do :-(

Oh yeah, I removed Voicemeeter also.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The "Discrete 8 ASIO Driver" is the USB driver. The Thunderbolt one is "Antelope Audio Thunderbolt". It's possible that the registry keys are corrupted, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] to send you the .reg files.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The "Discrete 8 ASIO Driver" is the USB driver. The Thunderbolt one is "Antelope Audio Thunderbolt". It's possible that the registry keys are corrupted, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] to send you the .reg files.
Thank you! I Just emailed you now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Update: Antelope got me sorted out and I'm now using thunderbolt :-)

Thanks Fellas
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search