The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Announces UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor Audio Interfaces
Old 26th June 2018
  #31
Pno
Gear Nut
I would have paid an extra 1000 for an octo 8p. But instead they cripple the 8 unison pres with a lousy quad...not sure if the 8p was worth it TBH...latency seems a bit high on it also...monitoring at 44.1 feels like you're playing a soft synth.
Old 26th June 2018
  #32
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
It does seem like a bit of a crazy business model. There are so many people out there like myself who won't buy into universal audio for their clearly highly underpowered chips. I'm surprised they don't follow the business model of games consoles etc where the price point for the hardware is cheap so plenty buy it then you make money from the games. Why don't UA release a unit with a modern chip at a good price, get loads of people on board and then clean up by selling far more plugins?
I got two satellites completely free of charge...
Old 26th June 2018
  #33
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle69 View Post
I got two satellites completely free of charge...
Sure, but that's not the business model.
Old 27th June 2018
  #34
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Sure, but that's not the business model.
Honestly, I am very happy with their business model. Their system works well, is stable and solid. I've got two apollos and two satellites (which I got free of charge), more than enough processing power for any project. Best investment I've made in those recent years.
Old 28th June 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
I think they've just painted themselves into a corner a little.
There's just seems to be very little development in the dsp world. Certainly in their niche.
A dual core version of their chip has been out for a while not but I think that's too little, too late.

I guess users like their plugins and are willing to put up with the relatively low number of instances because the plugins are great.
However, it's gotten to the point where the difference in what you can run natively vs UAD is ridiculous.
I think the lowest end modern computer can run at least what a UAD2 duo can, easily, at lowest buffer, with dsp power to spare.
A mid to high end computer can match and beat one or more UAD2 octos.
A high end computer.... well, you can probably run like 8-24 worth of octos at lowest buffer. and then when you raise the buffer come mix time.... low and behold, you can run even more.
So yeah. We're in this time where the dsp power of UAD can be sort of helpful during recording and production, but is hindering in mix time.
If you have a modern-ish pro computer, the limited power of the UAD2 cards will even hinder you during recording, if you want to use a lot of processing during recording, which is what UAD2 is aiming to do.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I think the best thing to do for UAD is to allow their plugins to be run natively ASAP. That way UAD users can still use their chips to offload some power when they need it most but they can also benefit the added power their CPU gives them. Nobody loses, everyone wins.

Of course UA can choose to update to that dual core dsp, or but a lot of R&D into porting to another DSP, or FPGA..... but you know, I think it's a fool's errand in the end.
DSP is helpful, has been great, but it's more and more of a niche, less and less people really need it, so.... Please, set those plugins free.
For the live and studio market, I'm sure waves would allow you to run their plugins on their intel based DSP servers....
It'd be nice to have all plugins running on those boxes..... Yeah. Thanks DSP, you've been cool, we've made some cool music on you but, you know, X64 won.
They just have more R&D.
I guess you could port to Apple's chips? Nah... just set them free, will ya?

I'm with waves on this one. I doubt Avid will even stay on the DSP bandwagon for much longer. Maybe one more bump... maybe.

(runs and hides)
Old 28th June 2018
  #36
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I think they've just painted themselves into a corner a little.
There's just seems to be very little development in the dsp world. Certainly in their niche.
A dual core version of their chip has been out for a while not but I think that's too little, too late.

I guess users like their plugins and are willing to put up with the relatively low number of instances because the plugins are great.
However, it's gotten to the point where the difference in what you can run natively vs UAD is ridiculous.
I think the lowest end modern computer can run at least what a UAD2 duo can, easily, at lowest buffer, with dsp power to spare.
It is much worse than that. Already 7 years ago a single core of a Hexacore Mac was more powerful than a UAD-Quad.

Or if people are really looking at an external solution, the Waves SoundGrid Impact server at $700 which uses a Core i3 processor can run over 500 instances of the API 550 plugin with a total round trip latency of 0.7 ms (Half that of this UAD product). The difference in price and performance isn't even funny any more.

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I think the best thing to do for UAD is to allow their plugins to be run natively ASAP. That way UAD users can still use their chips to offload some power when they need it most but they can also benefit the added power their CPU gives them. Nobody loses, everyone wins.
Fully agreed. Or do an Intel in a box solution like Waves do.

Quote:
Of course UA can choose to update to that dual core dsp, or but a lot of R&D into porting to another DSP, or FPGA..... but you know, I think it's a fool's errand in the end.
Yup. Just go Intel/Native.

Quote:
Thanks DSP, you've been cool, we've made some cool music on you but, you know, X64 won.
They just have more R&D.
Indeed. They have such huge R&D budgets... And economies of scale...

Quote:
I'm with waves on this one. I doubt Avid will even stay on the DSP bandwagon for much longer. Maybe one more bump... maybe.

(runs and hides)
I don't know if Avid have any money to create a new DSP solution... and even if they did, it wouldn't be a good idea IMO. They should have listened to Waves...

Alistair
Old 30th June 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
Do bear in mind though that the i3 that's in the impact server can also run only a mere few instances of the Abbey Road Plates.
Granted, that's the heaviest of waves plugins by far but still, paying for an external processing box, even Intel based, will be relatively expensive compared to what a decent internal processor can run.
A 700 bucks processor upgrade to the DAW computer will likely get most people a lot more horsepower than one of those Waves impact servers will bring them.
Those DSP servers are mainly meant for the live market, where the consoles just don't have built in processors to run waves plugins.
Although I've heard that the more higher end Waves DSP servers combination soundgrid interfaces are popular in some areas combined with Mac minis. I seem to recall someone telling me you see that a lot in the Jamaican professional recording studios.

My next dsp upgrade will be swapping my Mac Pro 3.33 6-core daughter board for a 3.46 12 core one, for about the price of a UAD octo.
I'm sure it will give me several octos worth of added performace at 96k 64 buffer, let alone at 2048 buffer...

DSP options are still viable for the live market, since the consoles don't have processors to run plugins on. They are relatively expensive horsepower wise.
Still the UAD system is not exactly powerful compared to similarly priced waves dsp servers, or hdx cards. So that is something UA will need to address at some point.
Certainly as the quality of native plugins has improved greatly.
Quality is the most important bit, granted, but number of instances is important too.
UA have been upping the quality of their plugins, it's only natural that they start upping their instance count too.
How they'll do that is their business, but I doubt remaining on the dsp platform is a good investment for their and our future.

Interesting times regardless.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 1st July 2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: clarified
Old 15th July 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 

The only thing I would add to this product is the ability to use the live rack as a satellite unit with a DAW. That way I could take these on the road but also use them in the studio or while mixing shows on the road. In our case our tour manager mixes the shows late at night or early in the morning so he could use this while the rig is offline and make some killer mixes.
Old 16th July 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
AudioGaff's Avatar
Quote:
The only thing I would add to this product is the ability to use the live rack as a Satellite unit with a DAW.
Your wish has been granted. You can use the Live Rack as a Satellite as long as you use it with some other audio interface and DO NOT use it with an Apollo or with regular UAD software because currently the Apollo & Live Rack are not compatible together on the same computer (or HD/partition)
Old 16th July 2018
  #40
Gear Nut
 

it baffles me why there isn't a USB port if TB isn't even going to pass audio. Anyone can shed a light?
Old 16th July 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
esencia,
Thanks for asking. As a rule, we don't publicly comment on future products in any way.

Having said that, the DSP in our entire Apollo line does what we need it to do today, just as it did at launch a few years ago.
No, it doesn't. How can you comment that?

Now, you're a company dealing with a disgruntled client-base, yet you refuse to diffuse the situation. Why not make a YouTube video showing us how "capable" your DSP is in 2018 with new plugins?

Seriously, coming from a guy who's never bought into UAD, but test extensively, I'd rather just spend a couple bucks more on hardware. Especially if I'm only getting 1-2 instances of the plugs that actually sound like hardware.

Keep up or die out.
Old 16th July 2018
  #42
Here for the gear
 

wow. UA. IMO, this product is complete TRASH. It actually couldn't be more trash than it is. Who is paying 3000 for a quad core DSP chip? Is this 2001? YOU CAN ONLY RUN A TOTAL OF 16 mono instances of API Legacy Channel strip before you are out of DSP power in this product. So helpful... Give yourselves a pat back on the back for coming out with easily the worst product of 2018. *Slow Clap*
Old 16th July 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 

3K doesn´t look like a great investment to run Autotune reliably on a concert. Could imagine seeing more plugins coming up which are tailored for live use with the release of this unit.
Old 17th July 2018
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
3K doesn´t look like a great investment to run Autotune reliably on a concert. Could imagine seeing more plugins coming up which are tailored for live use with the release of this unit.
One could pick up a physical AT rack for under $300 used for sure
Old 17th July 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Your wish has been granted. You can use the Live Rack as a Satellite as long as you use it with some other audio interface and DO NOT use it with an Apollo or with regular UAD software because currently the Apollo & Live Rack are not compatible together on the same computer (or HD/partition)

I don't get it, so I can't use it with my other OCTO satellite?
Why is none of this explained on their site? Where are you reading about this?
Old 31st July 2018
  #46
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Universal Audio Ships UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor

Universal Audio Ships UAD-2 Live Rack MADI Effects Processor

Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce UAD-2 Live Rack for live sound engineers.

UAD-2 Live Rack is now shipping worldwide with an estimated street price of $2,999 USD for the UAD-2 Live Rack Core bundle, and $5,999 for the UAD-2 Live Rack Ultimate bundle.

Learn more about the UAD-2 Live Rack:
UAD-2 Live Rack
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump