The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL releases Native V6 plug-ins
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
Those two softube channels you tried are not SSL emulations but rather API and Summit. Didn't you notice the controls are totally different? You can only test softube if you have the C1 controller. The Softube 9000K sounds very similar, in most cases indistinguishable from the Duende CS. The entire Duende package is a game changer though.
I don't know much about the differences between Neve and SSL, much less API/Summit. I guess I was just referring to channel strip plugins (ignorantly calling them SSL).

I would really like to learn more about all these differences but it is quite a lot for a noob
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
I don't know much about the differences between Neve and SSL, much less API/Summit. I guess I was just referring to channel strip plugins (ignorantly calling them SSL).

I would really like to learn more about all these differences but it is quite a lot for a noob
Take it as you go, I'd say. Most of the channel strips you find will come with a description of the sound you can expect from them. If you read up on the channel strips that are available for Console 1, you get a bit of an idea of some of the differences between the brands you mentioned. Obviously you can make a study of this, but I'd advise to just demo different strips and hear what they do to your music and pick the one(s) you like best.
Note that a 4000E channel strip modeled by Softube sounds different than one modeled by Brainworx, UAD, SSL or Waves.
Old 2nd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
What an incredible deal on that BX plug.

I was testing a bunch of SSL plugs for about 3 hours before I went and grabbed an iLok.

Waves SSL
Brainworx SSL-G 4000
Softube American SSL
Softube Grand SLL
and the SSL Native

My conclusion is that they're all good, overall the SSL Native is the roundabout winner for tone in my opinion.

Softube SSLs are louder, more instantly impressive, and honestly I think that I need to get one of them because they're a totally different approach. They're just more aggressive, instantly appealing. They aren't really SUBTLE, but they're the kind of thing you can slap on and work with, and without much effort you get something that appeals on a very basic level.

The SSL Native is more nuanced, and seems like my go to.

But I was obsessing over the Brainworx because I saw it was on sale. In a way, I actually think it might be the best one. I love it because it's so easy to use. It looks and feels quite good and it feels more "precise." I think the SSL and Softube ones sound a bit more instantly appealing, but the Brainworx is more precise and better for really honing in on things in the midrange. That's just my take, anyway.

I'm kind of sick of graphical EQs because I don't really want to visualize the process like that. SSL is better because you go entirely by ear and it's all built in to where you really can actually get into the mix on an audio level. I'll throw a Fabfilter on when I'm near the end of the process and want to fine tune things a bit more, but the vast majority of my mixing is going to be done on these plugs from now on.
As others said, you can, should and will catch up on all the differences while you go. The concept of a channel strip has nothing to do with SSL, although SSL consoles were the first ones to offer that complete feature set on a per-channel basis in the 4000 consoles. SSL is just an iconic brand as is Neve as is API. Many people say SSL is rather clean, Neve is thick and vibey and API is warm and punchy. But there are so many different products by each, an SSL 4000E definitely gets crunchy while newer Neve desks stay rather clean.
This is all not really important to know: what is more important, however, is not only to listen to the differences yourself and decide what you like best but also to check out the feature set and workflow you prefer. The bx SSL G equalizer works different than the native. API has fixed frequencies and stepped gain in its original version and completely different shapes. Those things in combination with the sound are what let a strip become your go-to.
Old 2nd March 2019
[I][/SSL’s acclaimed Duende Native plug-in SSL’s acclaimed Duende Native plug-in collection with completely re-written versions. The fundamental audio characteristics of the plug-ins remain unchanged but there have been a range of improvements which include new higher resolution user interfaces, improved Preset management, expanded purchase and subscription options to suit the needs and pockets of a wider range of users, and underlying framework changes that will ensure that SSL can fully support SSL Native plug-ins for many years to come.

The redesigned, high-definition, retina display-ready user interfaces offer multiple workflow improvements that will speed up production. The new graphics and enhanced feature layouts will ensure fluent, creative operation. The ChannelStrip and Bus Compressor plug-ins now have factory presets for the very first time, designed by SSL studio engineers and producers. with completely re-written versions. The fundamental audio characteristics of the plug-ins remain unchanged but there have been a range of improvements which include new higher resolution user interfaces, improved Preset management, expanded purchase and subscription options to suit the needs and pockets of a wider range of users, and underlying framework changes that will ensure that SSL can fully support SSL Native plug-ins for many years to come.

The redesigned, high-definition, retina display-ready user interfaces offer multiple workflow improvements that will speed up production. The new graphics and enhanced feature layouts will ensure fluent, creative operation. The ChannelStrip and Bus Compressor plug-ins now have factory presets for the very first time, designed by SSL studio engineers and producers./I]

These are the updates besides updating the 2 Bus done later on. They most likely sound so close but with the latest Mac/ Windows platform, they rewrote the software. Now not only does the display look better but it's had a higher resolution on your screen along with new presets. Perhaps it works a little smoother with ILok as well.
You don't have to upgrade but the changes are enough for me to be happy.
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

The "fundamental audio characteristics of the plug-ins remain unchanged."
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Funny how until the new facelift nobody cared about the SSL plugs.
Good looks go a long way.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

These plugins have always been well desired in my observation, but very expensive therefore kind of unpopular. Some pretty good promos happened right before the facelift though, and that's probably why they're a little more popular now, perhaps
Old 3rd March 2019
It was the subscription plan that got me on board. Glad I did though.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Funny how until the new facelift nobody cared about the SSL plugs.
Good looks go a long way.
That was only one part of it; previously the buy in price of these was ridiculous. Now, the retail price is still the same but the subscription provides a way to get access to them for an attainable price. It also doesn’t hurt that they have one of the most renowned brand names in the insustry - so much so that it seems every software company aims to have multiple “SSL” copy plugins of their own.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

I still cant quite make my mind up about these plugins. One thing is for sure...they are really good. But i don't quite know if they are all that when compared to the recent crop.
The EQ is a standout to me. On drums it is so quick and precise, i find it easier than any other eq to tune out harsh frequencies...all in all very good. The saturator is the other one i use all the time - incredibly quick and great results fast.

For me the jury is still out on the comps. Sure they are good, but i need to do some more testing against some of the more recent comps.
I did just do a mix where for the first time i used SSL compson every channel and to be fair it did come out really nicely - very crisp and sharp. I still get that problem where the attack won't wuite clamp down on the very quick transients (as many people have noted about plugin comps and plugin SSL comps in particular)
For example - the new vertigo comp deals with those transients very nicely. but as it tends to soften as bit it is not always the best option.

All in all this is definitely a good bundle. What i would really like to see is more development. Something to let the subscribers know that this is an ongoing project and not just 'hey, subscribe for our decade old plugs in new clothes'
When you look at slate or kush etc etc..there is constant development and one of the tradeoffs for not owning the plugins is the fact that every year more value is added to the bundle.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Guru

I demo'd them for a bit and ended up feeling that the channel strip eq was a little disembodied although natural in feel. But a little bodiless. The comps I am not in love with, and the saturation is cool, but not as cool and 'I need it!'. The verb was the one that I ended up liking most, surprisingly. Has a 'thing' about it. And the drumstrip is also very useful as a bottom bloater plug on anything, but I already have that one, so no subscription for me after all......
Old 2nd May 2019
Wow, I actually like all the compressors, particularly X-comp and X-Valve comp better than most of my other digital options. I'm curious, for you guys that aren't that into the compression, which digital options you like better? I do like the Softube 4000 comp for the kind of fizzy slap effect it has but I use x-valve comp more than any other digital compressor, the rms behavior reminds me very much of my x rack dynamics and the extra harmonic bolstering I like a lot. The bus comp I think is fantastic too. I have a Dione and they're just about interchangeable.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, I actually like all the compressors, particularly X-comp and X-Valve comp better than most of my other digital options. I'm curious, for you guys that aren't that into the compression, which digital options you like better? I do like the Softube 4000 comp for the kind of fizzy slap effect it has but I use x-valve comp more than any other digital compressor, the rms behavior reminds me very much of my x rack dynamics and the extra harmonic bolstering I like a lot. The bus comp I think is fantastic too. I have a Dione and they're just about interchangeable.
I sort of like the bus comp. I owned it as a separate plug for a while, but in the end sold it on. Basically, what happens to me is at first I like what I hear, and then after a while it starts feeling like it is struggling somehow, like properly folding and creaking digitally somehow. It's pretty weird, same routine every time. At first I like what it does. Then after hearing it for a bit I end up taking it off and feel relief when it comes off as it feels like a contortion has been lifted. Not sure I could compare that with a Dione which is beautiful, full stop. Much prefer the Townhouse comp. Thing is, at first the SSL behaves exactly as you would expect and want, and the Townhouse does not, feeling sluggish and clumsy. But after some tweaking the Townhouse manages to stay in place, doing something useful, whereas with the SSL native one I always end up in that weird 'it feels contorted and struggly now, you're coming off!' place.

As far as soft comps I like Fuse comps, some PA (ACME, Opto, Townhouse) and UAD. Don't love soft comps in general though.
Old 2nd May 2019
I still don't understand why they changed the threshold on the channel dynamics from v5 to v6.
All in all, the channel and bus comp are definitely solid, but I think I'll sell them because I tend to not use them.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

X-comp and X-eq are standouts amongst the SSL suite and still relevant against the massive slew of other modern comps and eqs. I tend not to use them because others are newer and shinier and at the top of my mind, but if I had to mix exclusively with them I'd likely be just as happy as with the newer options. One exception is the Weiss maximizer. SSL doesn't have a limiter that competes on that same level, imo.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Its odd, i really liked the comps when i tried them. But i used them for a while and just found them a bit bland (i too love the fuse audio comps - pure magic)

But i just did a mix where i used either X-comp or Valve comp on every channel and i am just amazed by the results.
As mixing tools they seem to be great at keeping things in place, whilst maintaining the snap.
If you need really fast transient control there are better options (vertigo comp) but i was really impressed with the clarity my mix had with these.

I think in short, i love things like the fuse comps for vibe and giving movement to sounds, but purely for mixing purposes, i am starting to like the SSL stuff a hell of a lot.
Old 5th May 2019
I see, I guess I'm more or less in the same boat. I use Softube plugs if I want character compression or if I want smooth opto levelling and the Duende comps as more general all purpose compression. I actually bought Duende because the Softube 9000 compressor was a disappointment. I have some X-Rack hw channels and the dynamics are just awesome, makes everything more energetic and authoritative without dirtying them up. The attack is really special, jolting, that's what I couldn't get the Softube 9000 to do. Though their 4000 is kind of cool, in a thinner fizzy way. Enter X-Comp and X-Valve Comp. These two I think give you the RMS based compression that makes everything a bit bigger and more forward and punchier besides. I don't use the channel strip much because I love the Softube controller and their 9000 EQ is great, but when I've tried it I thought the channel dynamics was especially punchy, but maybe a little too hard. Those other 2 I find very refined.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Head

Nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I compared the SSL V6 Channel strip to the UAD SSL and my X Rack Silver channel strip. I found they all can do a great job and they all have a familiar family sound.

The UAD SSL and X Rack sound closer to each other than the SSL V6. Both UAD and SSL allow the transients to pop forward while the SSL V6 is a little more netural. Depending on your source you may prefer the smoother SSL V6 or the others that pop the transient a little more. You hear more live wire type of adjustments with the Silver and a tad cleaner than the UAD SSL which is modeled on the 4000 (Black series). The Brainworx SSL has a wider sound while the SSL hardware and UAD have a more focused stream of sound. I prefer the more focus stream which is more of the SSL signature both the Brainworx still sounds good but different.

I didn't try to match the settings as they all sounded different with the same settings. You really have to just adjust each until they sound similar. With the X Rack, I found I used up to -6db to smooth out the transients ( while the plug ins up to -3db to get a similar sound). If I reduced the output gain a little on the hardware, it also reduced the pop and it got closer to the SSL V6. On the flip side, if I increase the output gain on the SSL V6, it sound closer to the X Rack. Its amazing how the gain output effects your perception. On the SSL V6, I can boost the EQ more than the other two without it seeming too much.
One of the most informative posts on the differences between the SSL options. Super helpful and I can’t believe this didn’t get thumbs up. Been reading threads for a couple hours and it’s hard to sort out the pedantic arguments, but I finally found the right info. THANKS!!!
Old 27th July 2019
When you get a chance try the SSL X EQ 2. I was thinking I don't need another EQ, but this one is much better than the standard EQ's in DAW's and some other plug ins EQ's. Having the solo button on each freq's, being able to add as many EQ points you want. It won't replace my UAD Massive Passive or Neve, API Eq's. But it looks like it might become my main bread and butter EQ when I just need some gentle changes.

Key Features

24-band fully parametric high quality digital EQ, featuring unique SSL anti-cramping algorithms
DSP Optimisation makes X-EQ 2 super efficient and CPU light
A total of 17 different filter types: 5 different cut filters, 9 bell shapes, shelving filters, a parallel mode, and custom filters
Extensive control options including draggable EQ graph nodes, mouse wheel adjustment and numerical data entry
Extremely low noise and low non-linear distortion filter algorithms resulting in the residual THD+N significantly lower than 24-bit quantisation noise
Mid/Side and Left/Right spatial processing options
Individual band solo and bypass
Real-time FFT analysis display
Inclusion of Phase & Step response graphs to show the effect of EQ processing
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Glenn -- how does it compare to X-EQ V1? After we bought it it became our go-to eq for a few years, but it's been a few years since we've even used it. FabFilter gets much of the clean/clinical eq work these days.
Old 28th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Glenn -- how does it compare to X-EQ V1? After we bought it it became our go-to eq for a few years, but it's been a few years since we've even used it. FabFilter gets much of the clean/clinical eq work these days.
I never used version 1 so I really can't say. All I know is they updated the entire plug in, it sounds great and it's light on the CPU.
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
It sounds a tad smoother than V1.
I always use it in parallel mode which I highly recommend.
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
It sounds a tad smoother than V1.
I always use it in parallel mode which I highly recommend.
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

I gave X-EQ2 a close look just yesterday and was impressed. It's a definitely improvement over what was already a solid eq, and I think they've made GUI improvements just about everywhere. As an AAX plugin there is no latency, and it's very light on the CPU. I don't quite understand where it's getting its processing power. Compared to my go-to FabFilter's Pro-Q3 in Linear Phase mode, X-EQ2 holds its own quite well, but ProQ has a LOT of latency. So much so that it cannot be used for tracking without getting it off Linear and back to Natural, or less.

This is a very hi-fi eq, which means it won't work for everything, but it's going to get a lot of use, especially for post. And it was FREE for Duende owners! Kudos, SSL!
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear
Hi @ elambo ,

I agree with you, that is nice, SSL made significant improvements at X-EQ 2. I haven't bought original X-EQ among their plug-ins, but demoing the new version just now.. It has definitely better usability, de-cramped bell filters (so it doesn't skew its magnitude shape towards fs/2).
However comparison to Pro-Q in linear phase mode seems to be honestly.. quite pointless to me, it's simply apple-orange situation..
To me it's like checking how some normal compressor holds to favorite multifunctional dynamic plugin in limiter mode with enabled lookahead.
There is chance to switch Pro-Q to corresponding zero-latency (eg. normal minimum phase mode.. like tons of other EQs out there), which is very similar to what X-EQ does (although Pro-Q has also other filters de-cramped in this mode.. like high-shelf, LPF), that will be much better comparison to me.

Anyways, as I've said, it's definitely good, that SSL continue with further improvements and development of their tools

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Just bought FlexVerb last week. This thing has a gorgeous sound. The built in compression is insanely handy as well! Easily my current favorite algorithmic reverb...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just wanted to reiterate how good X-EQ 2 is. Even if it's the same sound, the interface is so clever, very forward thinking, and designed (or at least checked over) by people who seemingly actually use it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search