The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL releases Native V6 plug-ins Channel Strip Plugins
Old 15th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by janomix View Post
I spend my money in every SSL emulation out there, the last big frustration are plugin alliance with they bx_console SSL 4000, that sound harsh and metallic, finally i opted by the SSL native v6 subscription, until now I'am happy.

Thanks.
Harsh and metallic? That's definitely not what I hear in the new bx SSL consoles.
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

I have demo'd all of these over the weekend.... I really wish I hadn't..

Wan't to buy them all now..

Pity they didn't have a sale during the holidays. I don't know if SSL ever do any significant sales for their Native plugins?
Old 9th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
I have demo'd all of these over the weekend.... I really wish I hadn't..

Wan't to buy them all now..

Pity they didn't have a sale during the holidays. I don't know if SSL ever do any significant sales for their Native plugins?
They do sales. They just don't do much to let you know when.
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Seems like I'll have to wait another year then
Old 9th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
Seems like I'll have to wait another year then
Don't think so, just make sure to check regularly .
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't think so, just make sure to check regularly .
I'll keep an eye out for the classifieds as well..
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not sure there how soon there will be a sale on these again, post subscription plan. The purchase price being perpetually high is something that makes subscribers feel like they are getting a good deal.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 15th December 2018 at 04:53 PM..
Old 13th December 2018
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
Thanks. Someone should proof read their messages though...

"The legend has been updated… The iconic SSL Bus Compressor see’s two significant enhancements to its already world renowned mix bus performance:"

Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

And the bus comp is on sale at half price for a week only. The parallel and sidechain options really expand its usefulness on tracks, stems and the two bus.
Old 13th December 2018
Yeah, the hpf on sidechain really can make a compressor sound bigger on more complex program.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

C'mon SSL - Christmas SALE!!! Christmas SALE!!! Christmas SALE!!! I want X-Saturator and more from the line.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
C'mon SSL - Christmas SALE!!! Christmas SALE!!! Christmas SALE!!! I want X-Saturator and more from the line.
+1 on this request
Old 4 weeks ago
Did anyone notice the LP filter not working on the Channel Strip after the latest update? Or is it just me? macOS Sierra, Reason 10.2
Old 3 weeks ago
Well there was no sale on their plug ins for Christmas or New Years. I really want to get the channel strip, especially since the zipper noise was corrected. I guess I will just keep checking their web site every month until I see a sale. I'm not paying over $300 for their channel strip.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Well there was no sale on their plug ins for Christmas or New Years. I really want to get the channel strip, especially since the zipper noise was corrected. I guess I will just keep checking their web site every month until I see a sale. I'm not paying over $300 for their channel strip.
Jason check classified section or on kvr forum , i see ssl stiff on sale regulary bundld or singles ....
Old 3 weeks ago
No store seems to sell SSl V6 plug in's except SSl.

Just pull the trigger and get it, that's what I did.
I'm very happy with their Channel strip. Their web site first checks your ILok and once it gives you the OK, the plug in shows up in your account and you activate it. No issues with it running in Cubase

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 3 weeks ago at 02:30 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
No store seems to sell SSl V6 plug in's except SSl.

Just pull the trigger and get it, that's what I did.
I'm very happy with their Channel strip. Their web site first checks your ILok and once it gives you the OK, the plug in shows up in your account and you activate it. No issues with it running in Cubase
Yep... Just get it

I have found that the SSL Channel Strip (both v5 and v6) is the channel strip which give me the fastest workflow (together with the Metric Halo for my kicks).

I don't know why, but I seem to "fiddle" more on any other channel strip... especially for drums (and most so for drums I have recorded my self with a pretty hefty amount of front end color ).

For drums recorded on the "safer" side (clean, sterile, boring - pick your choice), you may want to use a bit more colorful channel strip or plugins... But as a whole, the SSL Native Channel Strip is my all time fav channel strip. Get it
Old 2 weeks ago
I compared the SSL V6 Channel strip to the UAD SSL and my X Rack Silver channel strip. I found they all can do a great job and they all have a familiar family sound.

The UAD SSL and X Rack sound closer to each other than the SSL V6. Both UAD and SSL allow the transients to pop forward while the SSL V6 is a little more netural. Depending on your source you may prefer the smoother SSL V6 or the others that pop the transient a little more. You hear more live wire type of adjustments with the Silver and a tad cleaner than the UAD SSL which is modeled on the 4000 (Black series). The Brainworx SSL has a wider sound while the SSL hardware and UAD have a more focused stream of sound. I prefer the more focus stream which is more of the SSL signature both the Brainworx still sounds good but different.

I didn't try to match the settings as they all sounded different with the same settings. You really have to just adjust each until they sound similar. With the X Rack, I found I used up to -6db to smooth out the transients ( while the plug ins up to -3db to get a similar sound). If I reduced the output gain a little on the hardware, it also reduced the pop and it got closer to the SSL V6. On the flip side, if I increase the output gain on the SSL V6, it sound closer to the X Rack. Its amazing how the gain output effects your perception. On the SSL V6, I can boost the EQ more than the other two without it seeming too much.

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 2 weeks ago at 08:28 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Been in my own world the last few months, just recently updated to the last native update as I really don't check regularly, I try stay ontop of making music. =)

What a surprise. I have to say, the new GUI's look great to me. Former X-Verb, now Flex Verb, actually has an interface that is much more useable. I was using X-Verb regardless, but now with Flex I'm enjoying working with it much more.

As far as the sound of the SSL plugins -- I don't know man, I always feel silly using words to describe what I hear. You find yourself using this set of vocabulary that often gets hammered on a regular trying to describe what gets our audio wangs erect, but I myself have drifted from the channel strip and bus compressor on occasion to only come back to it wondering wtf I was doing. There's a certain 'smooth', 'rich' sound that I can't explain, but I don't get it from other offerings I have. Even if all the channelstrip is doing is filtering, it sounds really nice. Engage the compressor for even a light amount of compression and it just sounds damn good. Do this across all tracks, and that's what I've been unable, personally, to find anything that does that for me. And I know, we're talking older algos here.

I have Sand from Acustica, the IK offerings, used to have Waves, used to have Slate, owned the 611 SSL 500 eq at a time. I don't really care what is being emulated. I leave the hype for the birds and that one company... well, wait, there's more than one, err, but nevermind that.

I'll keep it short, thanks SSL for the update. Glad to see you maintaining the line.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Epic WARZ
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Can anyone confirm if the EuCon mapping has been fixed in the latest version?

Also, will my settings recall correctly on the bus compressor after updating? Currently running v6.0.1
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search