The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Infected Mushroom and Polyverse Music Release Wider
Old 16th May 2018
News Desk Editor

Award-winning electronic duo Infected Mushroom are proud to announce Wider, a unique stereo effect-- for free! This is their first piece of free software released with Polyverse Music.

Wider takes the massively popular pseudo stereo section from its sibling, Manipulator, and gives any user the ability to create the illusion of an expanded stereo image of any mono signal to an awe-inspiring degree. However, Wider is a unique stereo plugin in the sense that it is completely “mono-compatible”, meaning that any signal that has been extended will always remain in phase with itself, even if summed to mono.

Many pseudo stereo effects currently in use have the nasty habit of knocking signals out of phase, which can quickly make tracks sound muddy and unbalanced, or make sounds seem flat and lacking dynamics if one isn’t mindful of the effect. Thanks to Wider’s one-of-a-kind all pass and comb filtering algorithm, a natural sounding stereo image is created from a mono channel, without compromising the phase between the sides! Instead, Wider cancels itself out when summed to mono, so the original signal is left intact.

Wider can be used to increase the stereo image of any signal up to 200% of full stereo for an extra wide, exaggerated effect.

Wider is available in VST, AU, and AAX formats, making it compatible with a variety of host applications, including Ableton Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, and Studio One. It can be used in 32- or 64-bit instances with Windows XP and later and with Mac OS X 10.6 and later.

Wider is available immediately from Polyverse Music for free at: polyversemusic.com/products/wider.

Attached Thumbnails
Infected Mushroom and Polyverse Music Release Wider-widerweb2.jpg  
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

I see a cease & desist order coming from Airwindows...
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Why? I believe bx_stereomaker and JST SideWidener are also based on this same technique.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonna View Post
Why? I believe bx_stereomaker and JST SideWidener are also based on this same technique.
Originally I was just joking but since this one overwrites Chris', this means war!!
Sic 'em Chris!!
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Somehow I don't think that's in Chris' nature

Thanks for the free software!
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the absolutely terrible compositing in the imagery, or that one of them is too sexy for the plugin ?
I agree with the poster above, not in his nature.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Is it any diff from my go to izotope imager?
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

Has anyone received the download email yet? I've tried twice but it hasn't been sent to me.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
Has anyone received the download email yet? I've tried twice but it hasn't been sent to me.
Got mine right away. But IMO, you're not missing much. There are better options. This one gets a bit flangy the higher you go with the percentage.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Head
Hi guys!

We were surprised to find about Airwindows release, thank you for letting us know! We will contact them and straighten things out so everybody's happy!
If you did not receive the download to your inbox, please check your spam folder, and if its not there, please contact support - so we can send your copy and pinpoint the problem in order to fix it.
Infected Mushroom - Wider's algorithm adds a combination of all-pass and comb filters (phasers and flangers) that cancel each other out when you sum back to mono. There are some plugins use one or the other. the combination gives the best of both words - uneven spreading of notches up to the high end. Not to be confused with a stereo imager - this is a pseudo stereo algorithm.

Many users asked us to release just this algorithm separately from Manipulator (a vocal manipulation plug-in) - so we did!

I hope this answers some of your questions,
All the best,
Assaf
Polyverse
Old 16th May 2018
Deleted 19064ac
Quote:
Nope. Not even waiting anymore.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies. I'll contact Polyverse.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Mine arrived after a few minutes.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

Arrrgh! The contact form on their website refuses to send my message. Now trying with a direct email.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Arrrgh! The contact form on their website refuses to send my message. Now trying with a direct email.
Take it as a sign, LOL
The Izotope free imager is better.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Head
Sorry everybody, i have just noticed we have a clog on our mail server! working to resolve it now!
update:
I think we have it solved now, please try to download your plug-in again!
All the best,
Assaf
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

OK, got it now. I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Take it as a sign, LOL
The Izotope free imager is better.
The Izotope isn’t anything special
Old 17th May 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_muze View Post
Hi guys!

We were surprised to find about Airwindows release, thank you for letting us know! We will contact them and straighten things out so everybody's happy!
If you did not receive the download to your inbox, please check your spam folder, and if its not there, please contact support - so we can send your copy and pinpoint the problem in order to fix it.
Infected Mushroom - Wider's algorithm adds a combination of all-pass and comb filters (phasers and flangers) that cancel each other out when you sum back to mono. There are some plugins use one or the other. the combination gives the best of both words - uneven spreading of notches up to the high end. Not to be confused with a stereo imager - this is a pseudo stereo algorithm.

Many users asked us to release just this algorithm separately from Manipulator (a vocal manipulation plug-in) - so we did!

I hope this answers some of your questions,
All the best,
Assaf
Polyverse
Sounds (and looks) great, thank you very much!
Old 17th May 2018
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_muze View Post
Hi guys!
I enjoy the heck out of Infected Mushroom's music, and am a big fan

Don't worry, Softube even took the name Console (One) when I'd already had that. Since the plugins are by different developers, they shouldn't overwrite each other as far as plugin IDs (mine was first, so if you'd like to amend the name to prevent overwrites just in the folder?) I first used the name for an Audio Unit plugin in 2012. I know the AUs will go to distinct folders (not sure of the VSTs)

I think it's possible that simply having a user rename either plugin would be enough to have them coexist: can't speak for yours, but my Wider certainly will not break or cause some DRM hiccup if it's renamed by a user. If yours is also renameable then that's an obvious workaround and we shall both bear that in mind if anyone has folder over-write issues.

I think 'I Wish' is a great, astonishing and delightful plugin. Don't worry about negative actions from me, I doubt our 'Wider's even compete in the same area (mine is much more about spatial fine-tuning, for instance with orchestral recordings or something). Just search more carefully next time, my Wider VST (updated version) is really quite recent and was well-received, and the original source AU dates from six years ago.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

I installed AirWindows Wider a few days previously and then Polyverse Wider. The installer for the PV Wider overwrote AW Wider.

I re-added and renamed the AW Wider component file and then also used Logic's plugin manager to rename it inside of Logic (but this second step is not necessary for them both to function).

I think there's always a bit of a risk to giving your VST/component files generic names. Companies such as Toneboosters and Melda effectively namespace their files with a prefix. Nevertheless, it's not something I lie awake at night pondering
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome, I love the idea behind this one. I had also never heard of Polyverse Music before.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got mine right away. But IMO, you're not missing much. There are better options. This one gets a bit flangy the higher you go with the percentage.
Yeah, I hated it. Yes it was wide, and still had a centre, but that flangyness due to its comb filtering tek is nasty.

If i'm going to do use any stereo wideners, it will typically be ST Microshift.
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear
Love it

Honestly I really love this plugin. I have soundtoys and waves and isotope but this is different. Put it on the effects bus of my last mix and it was magical. Does wonders to reverb and delays.

Happy camper! Happy New Year everyone!
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Tried it just now and it sounds pretty bad IMO. It adds a very noticeable phasing effect. If used for that specific effect, go for it, but Izotope Imager is definitely more transparent.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search