The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kali Audio Announces Debut Product Line: LP-6 and LP-8 Studio Monitors
Old 11th May 2018
News Desk Editor

Kali Audio, a startup audio company based in Southern California, has announced its debut product line, Project Lone Pine Studio Monitors, at the Rolling Loud Music Festival in Miami.

The line is made up of two models: the LP-6 6.5-Inch Studio Monitor and the LP-8 8-Inch Studio Monitor. Both models feature advanced waveguides, largest in-class magnets and voice coils, and a unique front-firing, low noise port tube. An array of boundary compensation EQ settings, XLR, TRS, and RCA inputs, and Class D power amps all make the monitors easy to use in any set up.

Charles Sprinkle, Kali’s Director of Acoustics, says of the monitors: “Project Lone Pine Studio Monitors are the most advanced speakers in their class. They are exceptionally accurate, and the large drivers that we’re using deliver incredible punch and clarity all the way down to the bottom of the frequency response. We’re excited to be debuting them at Rolling Loud, because we think that artists working in hip-hop and other bass-heavy formats are really going to appreciate the precision and accuracy of the low end, and how well balanced it is to the rest of the response.”

Kali is partnered with Audiomack for the debut at Rolling Loud. Audiomack is hosting a pop-up studio where artists can meet and collaborate in real time. Several pairs of LP-6s are being used, with a small team from Kali present to hear people’s initial impressions.

The LP-6 will be available in the US August 1st, with the LP-8 following shortly after.

For more information, go to: Kali Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Kali Audio Announces Debut Product Line: LP-6 and LP-8 Studio Monitors-sideclosecrop.png  
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

price anyone? couldn't see on a quick visit to their website. what part of the market are they going for..
Old 11th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
price anyone? couldn't see on a quick visit to their website. what part of the market are they going for..
pricing and specs will be announced in the coming weeks
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Addict

Has anyone gotten a chance to hear these yet?
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

They just arrived at American Musical / ZZounds (same parent company) yesterday and should be at Guitar Center / Musicians Friend (same parent company) in a week or two. I ordered them, and AMS got them to me today (free express shipping). Compared them extensively to the Mackie MSR624 & from memory against my Dynaudio BM6A MK1 Classics that are in repair, and many dozens of others I've tested over the years. I'd just posted about it on a Facebook audio group in response to someone's question about monitors so I thought I'd just copy that and share.

If you are treble sensitive, the best under $500 per pair monitor, possibly under $1000 per pair, is the Kali LP-6. Only American Musical Supply and ZZounds have it now, as far as I'd know. Musicians Friend / Guitar Center will have it in a week or two I think. I run them flat in the treble while every monitor I'd heard I prefer -2 db to -4 db cuts in the treble. Better imaging vs. Mackie MSR624 that was a prior favorite under $500 pair, better transients and warmer, fuller midrange. They paired with my sub better also, and are front ported which really helps a lot.

The amplifiers are Class D and larger than the Mackie so it runs much cooler, if not playing anything, they have almost no heat. Nearly as good sounding as my $2000 per pair Dynaudio BM-6A. The best under $1000 per pair monitors I'd heard. If you like more treble raise its treble switch 2 db, even then, you'll just end up with how the Mackie's sound with treble switches set -2 db. So be warned, if you like bright monitors you won't like these. The next 8" version will be great in larger rooms most likely. These 6" models at $300 per pair are an amazing value.

Last edited by Mark D.; 8th September 2018 at 10:29 PM..
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

I just got a set of the LP6's to use in a second mixing area and they are incredible for $300. They are clearer then the JBL LSR308's I used there. I have Genelec 8300 series in my main mixing area and the Kali monitors are impressive for the price.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

us+canada only at the moment - any plans for european dealers?
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

I was going to grab the JBL306mkIIs for my home, but ended up getting a pair of the Kalis. I'll give a heads up when they arrive.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
us+canada only at the moment - any plans for european dealers?
Small company, it will take some time me guess.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
I was going to grab the JBL306mkIIs for my home, but ended up getting a pair of the Kalis. I'll give a heads up when they arrive.
Please report back.
Thanks!
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear
How you guys getting on with these speakers
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
How you guys getting on with these speakers
Great. They are still some of the most natural sounding, low distortion. Having met the developer at an AES afterparty, at a studio, low distortion is a very large part of what makes them so easy on the ears, yet detailed and accurate. They're actual lessons in how a speaker can be truthful without being painful. I expect many great things in the future from this company.
Old 19th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
They just arrived at American Musical / ZZounds (same parent company) yesterday and should be at Guitar Center / Musicians Friend (same parent company) in a week or two. I ordered them, and AMS got them to me today (free express shipping). Compared them extensively to the Mackie MSR624 & from memory against my Dynaudio BM6A MK1 Classics that are in repair, and many dozens of others I've tested over the years. I'd just posted about it on a Facebook audio group in response to someone's question about monitors so I thought I'd just copy that and share.

If you are treble sensitive, the best under $500 per pair monitor, possibly under $1000 per pair, is the Kali LP-6. Only American Musical Supply and ZZounds have it now, as far as I'd know. Musicians Friend / Guitar Center will have it in a week or two I think. I run them flat in the treble while every monitor I'd heard I prefer -2 db to -4 db cuts in the treble. Better imaging vs. Mackie MSR624 that was a prior favorite under $500 pair, better transients and warmer, fuller midrange. They paired with my sub better also, and are front ported which really helps a lot.

The amplifiers are Class D and larger than the Mackie so it runs much cooler, if not playing anything, they have almost no heat. Nearly as good sounding as my $2000 per pair Dynaudio BM-6A. The best under $1000 per pair monitors I'd heard. If you like more treble raise its treble switch 2 db, even then, you'll just end up with how the Mackie's sound with treble switches set -2 db. So be warned, if you like bright monitors you won't like these. The next 8" version will be great in larger rooms most likely. These 6" models at $300 per pair are an amazing value.
oh yea?..interesting!
--
so anyone have Sceptre S8's - or equator D5's.. love to hear a comparison to these as well
Old 20th November 2018
very surprised there's not more chatter here about these things!
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

still not available beyond north america, though, right?
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

I was going to buy JBL LSR305mkII but apparently there is a problem with hiss in close proximity. I hope these are better in that matter. And I need them to be available within EU.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Contact them directly, I think they'll be in the EU soon, but not sure of date.
Old 27th November 2018
- love to hear a comparison with the old 308's! (or Sceptre S8's, Equator D5's
Old 17th December 2018
any report on these boxes? ...
Old 17th December 2018
This guy gave them a glowing review. YouTube
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
- love to hear a comparison with the old 308's! (or Sceptre S8's, Equator D5's
I have S8s and D5s and have a pair of the LP-6 on the way... I will report back later in the week. Focal Shapes(current faves) here as well for comparison, as well as BM5 mk2
Old 24th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys View Post
I have S8s and D5s and have a pair of the LP-6 on the way... I will report back later in the week. Focal Shapes(current faves) here as well for comparison, as well as BM5 mk2
Cool, be good to hear how they compare to the Shapes with the stereo field width and tight low end. Those are two traits of the Shapes that I'm also enjoying, but open to a 2nd pair of monitors to cross check (although I find the Shapes very accurate).
Old 24th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys View Post
sweet, I have S8s and D5s, jbl308s over here- so i would love to know!
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

My first impression is they sound like my BM5 mk 2s. A lot. Anyone know what the break in period is? I really like the Shapes, and I have the smallest of them. They sounded like dog crap for 2 months-literally. Slow smelly dog crap. then one day, poof!! and they sounded amazing. I thought I was listening to the S8s. They have a low mid thing that is VERY NS10m. And I'm old enough to have mixed on Auratones (I have Mix Cubes-don't like them at all-anyone want to trade them for like a ****ty old Quadraverb?) So I'm tempted to not say anything for a couple days and let music play thru them for a bit of a break in. The low mid thing I like about the Shapes was NOT there on first power on. It's missing in the LP-6s too. It took a bit of time to match them out to working level of 85 db, they seem not as sensitive as the other monitors I have around here. But once I got them level it was fine. Nice top end, a bit brittle for me. I haven't done the treble roll off yet, opting instead to try the dip switch combinations for console and table. The BM5s are also a bit brittle for me and I've mixed on them for 10 years, so... I notice the most on older mastered music. Digging into my "vintage" CD- meaning they just transferred the vinyl master over to CD -ala Eagles/ Ambrosia/ etc, I notice the pinch the most. Anything modern country I really don't so much.(All on Me -Devin Dawson) The LP-6s sound really great collapsed to mono. As good as the S8s. I can feel the center. I'm always surprised at how many monitors just sound dual mono. As for the opposite, they have really nice stereo separation too - try the Ehrlund Mics recording on youtube of Good Harvest performing Clocks. With a Sub switched in, I don't miss the 250-350hz the Shapes have as much, but they are a bit pinched without it in. They do reveal the distortion present in a couple of modern masters, much better than anything else I have here - Trip Switch by Nothing But Thieves comes to mind. They are very very clean for sure.

I listened to Aretha's version of Holy Moses, because the bass is on the left side only and differences between the Shapes and Kali are less apparent. The vocal is pushed back in the Kalis and B3 is up in the Shapes.

looking for something more electronic I listened to Younger Love by Panama Wedding and differences are more apparent in the snare, the Kali's are cleaner. That Strat spanks.

I'm going to give them a week of playing to see how they open up and futz with the dip switches a bit more and drop back in the thread. Probably going to keep them for a while. That's $300 out of my PMC fund dammit. Dynaudio should be scared. FWIW, my monitoring chain is an Orion 32 into a Drawmer MC2.1, all cables by me (Gepco).

And yeah, I ain't got to the Beatles yet.. give me some time.

Questions?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Nice review. Interesting about brittle highs; maybe it's the room you're in. I have to set the treble / tweeter -2 to -4 db down on every nearfield I can to make them okay with my ears or I get dull mixes and hate listening to them for pleasure. I had the BM5A Mk 1 s every other grey colored Dynaudio (without DSP) that only has that damned -1 db treble cut switch (not enough) is far too strident for me. My BM6A Mk1 and the BM15a that I have tried needed -3 to -4 treble cuts that they had provided to work. My Dyns are in the shop so I bought Mackie MR624 to substitute, and they are smoother than prior generations, but still needed a full -2 db treble cut and that still left me wanting 1-2 db more to cut. I put these LP-6 up side by side with them. Set totally flat, and level matched, these had better stereo, bass as good in quality, but less boomy due to the superior front porting, and the treble on the LP-6 set UP 2 db was equal in quantity to the Mackie set DOWN 2 db. That is amazing. I run them completely flat on all switches, and the highs are perfect. No monitor every did that. I suspected these have a very gentle dip above 1 khz, out to maybe 10 khz in typical room response and I'd seen someone post a graph that showed that response in their room. That may explain it. No detail is missing, it's just the most easy on the ears (without sounding dull) pair of monitors that I've heard at any price. The LP-8 I heard demoed was very similar, just a bit more bass.
Old 10th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
Nice review. Interesting about brittle highs; maybe it's the room you're in. I have to set the treble / tweeter -2 to -4 db down on every nearfield I can to make them okay with my ears or I get dull mixes and hate listening to them for pleasure. I had the BM5A Mk 1 s every other grey colored Dynaudio (without DSP) that only has that damned -1 db treble cut switch (not enough) is far too strident for me. My BM6A Mk1 and the BM15a that I have tried needed -3 to -4 treble cuts that they had provided to work. My Dyns are in the shop so I bought Mackie MR624 to substitute, and they are smoother than prior generations, but still needed a full -2 db treble cut and that still left me wanting 1-2 db more to cut. I put these LP-6 up side by side with them. Set totally flat, and level matched, these had better stereo, bass as good in quality, but less boomy due to the superior front porting, and the treble on the LP-6 set UP 2 db was equal in quantity to the Mackie set DOWN 2 db. That is amazing. I run them completely flat on all switches, and the highs are perfect. No monitor every did that. I suspected these have a very gentle dip above 1 khz, out to maybe 10 khz in typical room response and I'd seen someone post a graph that showed that response in their room. That may explain it. No detail is missing, it's just the most easy on the ears (without sounding dull) pair of monitors that I've heard at any price. The LP-8 I heard demoed was very similar, just a bit more bass.
I am guessing phase issues with his lowend/room, causing abnormal level adjustments between high and low..thus causing him to turn them up ..making them brighter ?
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziemian View Post
I was going to buy JBL LSR305mkII but apparently there is a problem with hiss in close proximity. I hope these are better in that matter.
Yes, someone chime in on this, please ! : )

Since they use the same amplifier chip I wouldn't be surprised if the self noise was identical, but count me in as hoping not.

I've sat in front of two DAW rigs with JBLs, one the older version, one the mkII, and on one for sure (the latter, though doubt it was that much different literally from the former in that regard) I was distracted by the self noise. Not a dealkiller necessarily, but mixing near distance to it was all that was needed to be constantly aware of it when music wasn't running. So I too am gun shy about the JBLs, even though they're terrific sounding and a great value.

Most places in the US have the LP-8 in stock but, naturally, the one I want, the LP-6, is expected to be in mid Feb. (Some say end of month, at least one is saying beginning of month but I'm skeptical : ))

(edit: Correction to that. None available locally (NYC) and my usual online alternatives are out of stock for a few more weeks, but there are a few smaller Kali online dealers that show as having in stock.)

Front port is a plus. and if it's hiss is low enough to be ignorable when in front of them it might mean being patient until they arrive.

Last edited by rboy; 16th January 2019 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: update
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Yes, someone chime in on this, please ! : )

Since they use the same amplifier chip I wouldn't be surprised if the self noise was identical, but count me in as hoping not.

I've sat in front of two DAW rigs with JBLs, one the older version, one the mkII, and on one for sure (the latter, though doubt it was that much different literally from the former in that regard) I was distracted by the self noise. Not a dealkiller necessarily, but mixing near distance to it was all that was needed to be constantly aware of it when music wasn't running. So I too am gun shy about the JBLs, even though they're terrific sounding and a great value.

Most places in the US have the LP-8 in stock but, naturally, the one I want, the LP-6, is expected to be in mid Feb. (Some say end of month, at least one is saying beginning of month but I'm skeptical : ))

(edit: Correction to that. None available locally (NYC) and my usual online alternatives are out of stock for a few more weeks, but there are a few smaller Kali online dealers that show as having in stock.)

Front port is a plus. and if it's hiss is low enough to be ignorable when in front of them it might mean being patient until they arrive.
I posted this recently, might as well crosspost it:

I have a pair of Kali's (LP-8) and they do hiss, thanks to the lovely trend of Class D monitors, and it's driving me slightly mad ATM. I can hear it over 2-3ft away from the speakers too, I don't need to be close to them at all. I had a pair of JBL's before this which also hissed, but strangely enough, I didn't notice it as much. If this goes on for long enough, I may just return them.

For ****s and giggles, I installed an Android sound meter and just ran it to see what would happen. I have an Asus 5Z with a triple microphone setup, it's a bit of a "flagship killer" killer phone so I would think the mic on this is way better than a usual phone. It was registering about 1-1.5db vs the speakers off. Obviously this isn't a super technical comparison, but I could see a difference. And again, this is with my phone at the same area I listen to. I have pretty good hearing and am not treble sensitive in the least, but I do like a bit of brightness.

The hiss ranges from "loud" initially when I sit in front of them to enough to catch your attention like you heard something but can't tell exactly what. Enough to divert your attention or feel that something is "wrong".

I have terrible luck with audio purchases, but the only other monitors I know that avoid this Class D nonsense are Mackies, KRK, and some PreSonus (not the recently released ones with AMT tweeters though). I might just go to the Mackie MR824. You can't have it all - front ported AND nice acoustic controls AND newly released.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

I have had them (LP6) since October and I love them. The hiss is negligible and I never really noticed it until I saw the latest comments on this thread. And I mix at a very low volume (75-80dB). But more importantly... The mixes I get on them translate very well.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Addict

Well, I went ahead and got the LP-6's : ) Just set them up and ran some things through them for a half hour or so. First impressions are very good, and most importantly, hiss is not a problem. I'm not overly sensitive to things but I'm horrible with stuff that bugs me to distraction, whether it's with a car, chair or speakers. If it bothered me in the least (as opposed to notice it in the least) I'd be miserable. So I'm thrilled that in this space and with my head I don't see it being a problem. Maybe it's helping to dither the ringing in my head, but so far I'm very happy with them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search