The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kali Audio Announces Debut Product Line: LP-6 and LP-8 Studio Monitors
Old 13th April 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmisser View Post
Any Kali LP-8 owners here that also own the Yamaha HS-8s? I brought my LP-8s to Guitar Center and did an A/B comparison with the Yamahas. I found the Kalis lacking bass and pretty dull in comparison to the HS-8s. I don't have the cash to buy the Yamahas and compare at the moment, but the Kalis do sound much better in my treated room (which is to be expected because the GC listening room is not ideal).

Just asking because I'm considering investing more money into my monitor setup (maybe Focals or the Yamahas). I also worry that in my 11' x 12' room the Yamahas would be problematic with the rear bass ports. Either way, I'm curious how the LP line is stacking up against other monitors in the sub $1k range.
Did you test both sets at unity gain?
If so, was there a big difference in volume between the 2?
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Did you test both sets at unity gain?
If so, was there a big difference in volume between the 2?
I was able to get them fairly close, but the GC guy wasn't really cool with me going behind the wall of speakers to adjust. The Yamahas were noticeably louder though and I had to put their volume around 9-10 to get them lower in level with the Kali's set to 12 O'clock.

I don't really have volume issues with the Kalis at home though and can hit the 85db mark without issue if I need. Honestly, the Yamahas seemed excessively louder, but maybe that's because they're meant to be in a room much larger than mine.
Old 13th April 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was able to get them fairly close, but the GC guy wasn't really cool with me going behind the wall of speakers to adjust. The Yamahas were noticeably louder though and I had to put their volume around 9-10 to get them lower in level with the Kali's set to 12 O'clock.

I don't really have volume issues with the Kalis at home though and can hit the 85db mark without issue if I need. Honestly, the Yamahas seemed excessively louder, but maybe that's because they're meant to be in a room much larger than mine.
I must be missing something b/c my Kali 8s were very noticeablely lower in volume to all other speakers in the GC I tested mine. Even when I brought them home I had to make serious changes to how I listen to accommodate the low levels coming out of my LP 8s.

Very curious to me!
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I must be missing something b/c my Kali 8s were very noticeablely lower in volume to all other speakers in the GC I tested mine. Even when I brought them home I had to make serious changes to how I listen to accommodate the low levels coming out of my LP 8s.

Very curious to me!
Yeah, I'm not sure? I did an SPL calibration with REW and the UMIK-1 mic in my room. I've kept the volume on the Kalis at 12 O'clock detent position and with my Clarett 8 PreX I can get some serious volume (but I stay in the 75-85db range). I'll try pushing the volume more today to see if anything sounds wonky, but so far I haven't had any problems.

You're not wrong in that they have less output compared to other speakers, but for my close quarters situation It's been fine. Do you have a room measurement mic you could do some tests with? Do you have another pair of monitors that you're comparing them to?
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Has anyone else observed that their LP-8s are considerably lower in volume than other similar speakers at similar settings?
I got a pair of LP 6's for testing - not only were they very queit, even at the maximum setting, but one speaker was about 3dB quieter than the other... Room eq setting (DIP switches) caused some weird phasing problems. Got them for 2 weeks, gave'em back after 2 days.

Had a chance to listen to LP 6 along with: Dynaudio BM5 MKIII, Adam A7X and Presonus R65. Presonus smokes them all, absolutely wonderful monitors.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
I got a pair of LP 6's for testing - not only were they very queit, even at the maximum setting, but one speaker was about 3dB quieter than the other... Room eq setting (DIP switches) caused some weird phasing problems. Got them for 2 weeks, gave'em back after 2 days.

Had a chance to listen to LP 6 along with: Dynaudio BM5 MKIII, Adam A7X and Presonus R65. Presonus smokes them all, absolutely wonderful monitors.
FWIW, my LP-6s have identical output and I'm running my ULN2 interface at around 55% and it's as loud as I need, and at their max setting and the ULN2 output creeping up they're louder than comfortable pleasure listening levels much less mixing. And I have the dip switches set for being a few feet from the wall and no phasing issues.

Granted, my room isn't large, it's on one side of a 12 x 18 ft room with a 10 ft ceiling, and no one would mistake it for a space that anyone sunk any money into, but very quiet mine aren't.

Not doubting you, just chiming in. Sounds like quality control. Which I've heard about anecdotally regarding the LP 8s but not really much for the 6s. I've heard of others returning them for generally not floating their boat (and self noise, which I also can't complain about) but not for lack of output or phasing. Were they fairly recently shipped? It may be that Kali couldn't properly handle the rush of orders after all the good online reviews and they dropped the ball during the crunch.

Last edited by rboy; 21st April 2019 at 08:49 PM..
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Any LP-8 owners here that can comment on the self noise / hiss? I've read several places that people aren't noticing it if they're back a few feet, but I'm not having that experience. If I'm mixing at talking volume it's pretty noticeable, even if I'm 5-6 feet back I can hear the hiss. No improvement if nothing's plugged in or trying different outlets.
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear

Just got in a pair of Kali LP-6. Sound great. A bit of hiss audible even from ~3 feet away (slightly worse on one than the other. Tried with XLR and RCA... and with neither).

Also, the manual and the printed boundary EQ settings on the back disagree with each other. Anyone know which one is correct? @ Kali Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Kali Audio Announces Debut Product Line: LP-6 and LP-8 Studio Monitors-img_20190426_141531.jpg   Kali Audio Announces Debut Product Line: LP-6 and LP-8 Studio Monitors-untitled.jpg  
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear
Some people say it's a grounding issue. Any confirmation? I have a slight hiss from my LSR305 that I have to listen for to really hear it.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Some people say it's a grounding issue. Any confirmation? I have a slight hiss from my LSR305 that I have to listen for to really hear it.
I doubt that grounding has anything to do with the hiss issue. You can add hum and other interferences with less than ideal grounding situations. The consensus is that it's related to the Class D amp used, exact same chip as in the JBL series as the Kalis. I don't believe that anyone who has gotten either who had too much hiss solved it by doing anything, and I spent way too much time researching it before getting the LP-6s Threads talking about hiss and self powered speakers, seemingly mostly about the JBLs, although that's what I was looking for, go back for years.
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

Definitely not grounding. It's a completely different sound when you have a ground loop. It's just a minor hiss. I moved them back a little more and put the one with the slightly louder hiss on my left (where I hear about 1.5dB lower) and it isn't bothering me.

Kali confirmed via email that the hiss is normal and is the result of building the monitors to be inexpensive.

Also, the dip switch settings on the back of the monitors is correct. There is an error in the manual, so set them as the back of the monitor indicates.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Nut

So how’s everyone been liking their LPs?

After a lot of placement experimentation, I got my LP-8s locked in and have been pretty happy with the results, but it took some time. I had a project I recently did where I had to add some guitars and mix stuff down. They were really happy with the end result and I did it entirely on the LPs.

I still debate dropping some serious coin on “better” monitors, but again, I’ve had no complaints / requests to change mixes I’ve done with these speakers, so that’s gotta be a good sign!
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

After a lot of placement experimentation, I got my LP-8s locked in and have been pretty happy with the results, but it took some time. I had a project I recently did where I had to add some guitars and mix stuff down. They were really happy with the end result and I did it entirely on the LPs.

I still debate dropping some serious coin on “better” monitors, but again, I’ve had no complaints / requests to change mixes I’ve done with these speakers, so that’s gotta be a good sign!
How much treatment do you have and how big is your room?
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How much treatment do you have and how big is your room?
11.8 X 11 X 7.8 ft

I spent a pretty penny on a GIK Acoustics setup - corner bass traps, cloud panels, floor standing traps, diffusers for the back wall, and standard absorption panels for the front wall.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
11.8 X 11 X 7.8 ft

I spent a pretty penny on a GIK Acoustics setup - corner bass traps, cloud panels, floor standing traps, diffusers for the back wall, and standard absorption panels for the front wall.
Nice. I wonder if those plastic enclosures resonant and produce a sound in and of itself. Do some measurements with and without Moongel.
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Happy with the LP6 here. The hiss on mine is hardly audible from 4 feet if the room is very quiet. One of the speakers turned off 2 times so far in the 6 weeks or so that I've had them, and then turned back on. I also think that they don't perform well at very low volumes. You need to it up to moderate listening levels. Apart from that, i have no complaints so far.

I like the dynamics, the organic quality of the sound with detailed mids and lows and a nice 3d soundstage. Mix translation seems to have improved with these. When I cross-reference in car i hear an improvement.

I haven't yet tried these for composing. They don't have that hyped sound that makes you feel good about rough mixes before you fix most of the tones and dynamics. I think for composing music, a bit of hype helps.
They also need space,about 5 feet or so of separation.

I hope these last. I don't think I'll be going for other companies in the future
These have just the right sound for my ears and I hear the support is nice. I certainly hope that is the case.

[Regarding your earlier observation about the HS8, I agree from my previous brief experience listening to the HS8 that they have a brighter sound that the LP6.]
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Happy with the LP6 here. The hiss on mine is hardly audible from 4 feet if the room is very quiet. One of the speakers turned off 2 times so far in the 6 weeks or so that I've had them, and then turned back on. I also think that they don't perform well at very low volumes. You need to it up to moderate listening levels. Apart from that, i have no complaints so far.

I like the dynamics, the organic quality of the sound with detailed mids and lows and a nice 3d soundstage. Mix translation seems to have improved with these. When I cross-reference in car i hear an improvement.

I haven't yet tried these for composing. They don't have that hyped sound that makes you feel good about rough mixes before you fix most of the tones and dynamics. I think for composing music, a bit of hype helps.
They also need space,about 5 feet or so of separation.

I hope these last. I don't think I'll be going for other companies in the future
These have just the right sound for my ears and I hear the support is nice. I certainly hope that is the case.

[Regarding your earlier observation about the HS8, I agree from my previous brief experience listening to the HS8 that they have a brighter sound that the LP6.]
Considering I have the LP-8s, I understand why hiss is more of a problem for me when comparing to the LP-6s. I’ve gotten used to it at this point, but I’d really like to see a MKII that takes it down.

I keep mine about 67” apart since for me if I go wider than that, my stereo field starts to sound weird. The only issue I have with these when composing is if I’m monitoring guitars / bass through them. I keep the volume knobs on the LPs at the noon / detent position since going any higher than that exacerbates the hiss issue.

I’ve calibrated this setup with my monitor controller so I’m around the 79 dB mark and for that it does just fine. But when it comes to guitars / bass I find myself wanting to crank them a lot more for that oomph factor.
Old 25th July 2019
Any news about the 3-way models? I saw a 8" version but would love to know if there is going to be a 6" version also
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since weeks I was tempted to order them but no matter how great they sound for the price range, I just cant have such ugly (I know it‘s subjective) and cheap looking speakers in my studio But since I feel like having something new, I will give the Alpha 65‘s a try instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Since weeks I was tempted to order them but no matter how great they sound for the price range, I just cant have such ugly (I know it‘s subjective) and cheap looking speakers in my studio But since I feel like having something new, I will give the Alpha 65‘s a try instead.
Studio monitors are not about aesthetics, some of the best speakers out there are ugly. They're not trying to appeal to the same demographic as Beats headphones.

With that said I think the Kalis are an ideal candidate for commercial mods. Just like the dedicated community of mic mods. Maybe someone could come up with a wooden cabinet mod for those of you that hate the current look.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search