The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TOKYO TUBE EQ from London Acoustics, is out. - Official Acqua N4 plugin Equalizer Plugins
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Head

Software TOKYO TUBE EQ from London Acoustics, is out. - Official Acqua N4 plugin

Please welcome our first audio plugin: TOKYO TUBE EQ

Check out high resolution audio samples, more videos, and manual, at this link: Tokyo Tube EQ - London Acoustics - Audio Plugins

TOKYO TUBE EQ plugin combines modern advances in highly technical software production with rigorous testing to bring you the ultimate ITB professional music production tools. The TOKYO TUBE EQ plugin is inspired by a rare parametric tube equaliser, carefully refurbished and sampled for historical accuracy, designed to bring beautifully warm vintage colour to your tracks.

The TOKYO TUBE EQ plugin’s reference unit is a beautifully crafted boutique piece of gear from the mid-‘90’s, made by a well-respected former Italian manufacturer of awesome pro-audio products. The original unit features a tube mic/line/acoustic preamp and four tube equalisation bands – two shelves and two fully parametric eq bands.

TOKYO TUBE EQ is an official third-party plugin for N4 Player

FEATURES:
  • Low Shelf 80Hz +/-15dB gain
  • Low Mid Parametric with 3 position Q bells: narrow, medium wide, +/-15dB gain, continuous 150Hz-800Hz frequency range
  • High Mid Parametric with 3 position Q bells: narrow, medi- um wide, +/-15dB gain, continuous 800Hz-4kHz frequency range
  • High Shelf: 12kHz +/-15dB gain
  • Tube circuit medium/high saturated preamp
  • Bypass on/off button
  • VU Meters IN/OUT -21/+5dB
  • VST, AU, AAX – 32, 64 bit

Price (MSRP): €70.00 [now with the introductory price of €59.50 (15% off) until the 24th of May]

Licensing:
  • Challenge-response authorization system allows activation for two computers per license.
  • The trial version is fully functional for a duration of four weeks. Trial license allows the activation of two computers per license.

Formats supported:
  • Supported operation systems: OS X and Windows.
  • Supported plug-in formats: VST2, AAX, and AU.
  • Supported architectures: 32 and 64-bits.

A little bit about London Acoustics:
We are a London-based group of very passionate producers and musicians with a passion for recording gear and years of experience working in the pro-audio industry. Our mission is to offer cool new sound palettes for Acustica Audio Nebula users and, of course, for ourselves!

London Acoustics Plugin Installation tutorial:
YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
TOKYO TUBE EQ from London Acoustics, is out. - Official Acqua N4 plugin-copertina-tokyo-eq-hires-x-aa-02.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Head

Useful instructions for London Acoustics plugin installation using N4 Player by Acustica Audio.

Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Acoustics View Post
Useful instructions for London Acoustics plugin installation using N4 Player by Acustica Audio.

Shouldn't you create/register an account with Acustica first?
Then download and install Aquarius.
Then Log into Aquarius.
Then the N4Player will automatically appear in Aquarius as a free down load.
Then do the rest...

Last edited by Beatworld; 2nd May 2018 at 03:00 PM..
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Shouldn't you create/register an account with Acustica first?
Then download and install Aquarius.
Then Log into Aquarius.
Then the N4Player will automatuically appear in Aquarius as a free down load.
Then do the rest...

Hi Beatworld, if you prefer that flow, why not?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Im really enjoying this fantastic equalizer for mixing tracks especially for correction. So far Ive been reaching for the Tokyo eq over all the Aqua mixing options unless I want the lowend from Gold for example. I also try it before using an eq like ProQ2 for surgical as it tends to result in a more musical outcome albeit probably not as precise. I find eqs like ProQ2 pretty tempting to go too far. Tokyo keeps you in bounds with its band and Q limitations. If I need more then its a fair bit easier.

Sound wise, Tokyo is relatively clean but undeniably warm, natural, and makes tracks sound better. Perfect for itb. This includes the preamp. As Ive reviewed elsewhere, the end result doesnt sound like an eq was used. More like the audio went back in time and was tracked more to your liking. That goes for both boosting and cutting.

A true itb hero especially for less than stellar home recordings. And the best part is the price! Looking forward to more.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Im really enjoying this fantastic equalizer for mixing tracks especially for correction. So far Ive been reaching for the Tokyo eq over all the Aqua mixing options unless I want the lowend from Gold for example. I also try it before using an eq like ProQ2 for surgical as it tends to result in a more musical outcome albeit probably not as precise. I find eqs like ProQ2 pretty tempting to go too far. Tokyo keeps you in bounds with its band and Q limitations. If I need more then its a fair bit easier.

Sound wise, Tokyo is relatively clean but undeniably warm, natural, and makes tracks sound better. Perfect for itb. This includes the preamp. As Ive reviewed elsewhere, the end result doesnt sound like an eq was used. More like the audio went back in time and was tracked more to your liking. That goes for both boosting and cutting.

A true itb hero especially for less than stellar home recordings. And the best part is the price! Looking forward to more.
I have not demoed the London/Tokyo (looking forward for the Tokyodawn London-Eq, because of the reasons discussed in the Kvr London-thread.
Asher Bay says above, that he is pleased, and the Eq is warm, wihtout being coloring, and clean, wihtout being surgical.
I own, among others, the ProQ2 and Ozone8 adv, which I like both, and my favourite coloring Eqs are
UAD Pultec
Overloud EQ550
Soundtoys Sie-q
Waves TGI channelstrip Eq
Waves SSL E-channle Eq
Acustica Audio Diamond

The Diamond I have only demoed, the price is too high, and the CPU. too.

I wonder how the London/Tokyo compares to these?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
I have not demoed the London/Tokyo (looking forward for the Tokyodawn London-Eq, because of the reasons discussed in the Kvr London-thread.
Asher Bay says above, that he is pleased, and the Eq is warm, wihtout being coloring, and clean, wihtout being surgical.
I own, among others, the ProQ2 and Ozone8 adv, which I like both, and my favourite coloring Eqs are
UAD Pultec
Overloud EQ550
Soundtoys Sie-q
Waves TGI channelstrip Eq
Waves SSL E-channle Eq
Acustica Audio Diamond

The Diamond I have only demoed, the price is too high, and the CPU. too.

I wonder how the London/Tokyo compares to these?
Its not as clean as Pro Q2 or Ozone8 for sure which both of those lean towards transparent and have no character. Tokyo is not that.

Of the eqs you listed, Tokyo has the cleanness of Diamond without the preamp, the warmth and natural tone more toward the UAD Pultec but although fixed choices, you also have more flexibility over the Q value like the Waves SSL channel eq. Also, aside from MAYBE Diamond, you will find it easier to boost without getting into harshness with Tokyo EQ than the rest. Its far more musical. It does however have a very different character than the SSL, TGI, 550 and the Pultec especially in the lows so it may not be what floats your boat BUT...

Give it a demo. I certainly would purchase it over everything you listed except for Ozone8 and ProQ2 which have their particular uses but for adding some analog color without being too heavy handed Tokyo is a good option. I haven't gone to the KVR thread yet.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Intetrsting that you find the Diamond "clean", Jay. For me its one of the most colored Eq, I know. In the good way. Especially with the prestage, but even without.

Anyway, London/Tokyo would be useful to demo.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I am a little confused ...

It says AAX on the website.

But I understand this is just for Nebula, right ?

So how does that work ?

Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
I am a little confused ...

It says AAX on the website.

But I understand this is just for Nebula, right ?

So how does that work ?

I think they say vst, au, aax because Nebula can do it so but yes, it's a little bit confusing.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
Intetrsting that you find the Diamond "clean", Jay. For me its one of the most colored Eq, I know. In the good way. Especially with the prestage, but even without.

Anyway, London/Tokyo would be useful to demo.
Hey Harry. Diamond is absolutely one of the most colored eqs...with the preamp on lol. The preamp on Diamond is why I haven't purchased it, it's a bit too much for me as it tends to push everything forward. With the preamp off its a different story by design. I apologize if I missed that detail.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Hey Harry. Diamond is absolutely one of the most colored eqs...with the preamp on lol. The preamp on Diamond is why I haven't purchased it, it's a bit too much for me as it tends to push everything forward. With the preamp off its a different story by design. I apologize if I missed that detail.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

As I evaluate this plugin, which I love, I'm curious about the Nebula Player's performance versus the full Nebula on a Mac. Are they the same?
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkSaunders View Post
As I evaluate this plugin, which I love, I'm curious about the Nebula Player's performance versus the full Nebula on a Mac. Are they the same?
Exactly the same, blinkSaunders, performance and sound are exactly the same.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Head

FYI, another spontaneous thread about TOKYO TUBE EQ:

London Acoustics - Tokyo Tube EQ - Nebula Library
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Head

A quick dive into some TOKYO TUBE EQ's peculiar and cool tricks.

https://youtu.be/Nfenksdx9G8

Full description, audio files buy and try TOKYO TUBE EQ: Tokyo Tube EQ - London Acoustics - Audio Plugins
Attached Thumbnails
TOKYO TUBE EQ from London Acoustics, is out. - Official Acqua N4 plugin-cover.jpg  
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Full description, audio files buy and try TOKYO TUBE EQ: Tokyo Tube EQ - London Acoustics - Audio Plugins
Loving this eq! Looking forward to your future releases.
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice video!

I have to spend more time with Tokyo, but seems very good.
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:

That drumtrick really woke up ez-drummer like nothing else. That one and cream-comp, they really seem to play well together.
But Tube eq! Damn, it is one sweet eq..
Liking it for mastering to.. Escpecially the highs...
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
That drumtrick really woke up ez-drummer like nothing else. That one and cream-comp, they really seem to play well together.
But Tube eq! Damn, it is one sweet eq..
Liking it for mastering to.. Escpecially the highs...
  • Works very well in every kind of drums (sampled or real) and basses, to give life without make mess in the overall mix.
  • Agreed, Cream comp is a perfect match. Also Ebony comp.
  • Exactly like some classic hardwares, TOKYO TUBE EQ was intended mainly as mix equaliser, but, at the end thanks its high quality, and nicety, it's perfect too for colouring the master buss (maybe keeping the pre at low levels).
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

Really nice sound. I wish the visual feedback of the knobs was better. The gain is changing before it does so visually. If there was a 1/2 db mode (for mastering, +/-7.5 db instead of 15) that would be nice

Edit: never mind. Its literally impossible to get work done with nebula plugins in the session. I'll try again sometime.

Last edited by thermos; 13th May 2018 at 06:48 PM..
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Really nice sound. I wish the visual feedback of the knobs was better. The gain is changing before it does so visually. If there was a 1/2 db mode (for mastering, +/-7.5 db instead of 15) that would be nice

Edit: never mind. Its literally impossible to get work done with nebula plugins in the session. I'll try again sometime.

Out of curiousity, what is it that is impossible with Tokyo?
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
Out of curiousity, what is it that is impossible with Tokyo?
Not Tokyo, just Nebula generally. I was using it on something and then Reaper froze. I had to force quit and then tried reopening the session for an hr. Couldn't get it to work until I took N4 out of the components folder. Then it opened right away.

Tried the VST version and it worked better, but with Reaper anyway it just makes playback glitchy even though the CPU isn't that high.
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Addict
Ah ok..
Im running on my macbook pro and reaper, and lastest N4 (not player) and for me it has never been more stable.. Been on since v2 Neb..
So night and day with this. But i know it depends on what machine. And also, Brainworx plugins doesnt play well together with acustica.
And there are some other to but cant remember. Not acusticas fault though.. I think its a little bit on both sides making the glitches..
Try using just N4 and see what happends, and then introduce other plugins.. If u havent already.
Old 14th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post

Hi Thermos, TOKYO TUBE EQ has been designed mainly to bring warm vintage colour to your mixes. Anyway, as i.e. the renowned Pultec EQ, it is also possible to use it nicely in the master buss, but with some very subtle knobs movement.
We are evaluating a mastering version maybe for the 2.0 version.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding the knobs response-speed, in our development and test systems, all is working as expected, smooth and responsive.
Unfortunately there are plenty of custom settings between computer specifications, OS, DAW, etc.
It's always reccomended at least a 6th gen i7 system, with 16-32 GB of RAM, Windows or Mac, an updated top-of-the-range DAW, a well tuned BIOS setting.
Just for a random example, if it's used a 2010 computer with our 2018 plugin technology, something slowish it will be expected... you know, after 8 years of evolution.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Head

Latest updated instructions for London Acoustics plugin installation using N4 Player by Acustica Audio.
Very useful for the newcomers to the N4 technology realms.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

I'm loving this EQ more and more, I'm really surprised this thread is so short considering how nice this EQ is.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm loving this EQ more and more, I'm really surprised this thread is so short considering how nice this EQ is.
I’m quite sure more people are going to discover this very nice sounding eq!
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

While I totally love Bronze EQ, Tokyio EQ did absolutely nothing for me.
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Addict
And Im like, bronze i a good thing for mastering and being picky with freq, But Tube just got the vibe going on. Actually got me not to buy Ruby..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search