The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows Atmosphere: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 21st May 2018
  #31
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Perhaps that's why it's also useful
Old 23rd May 2018
  #32
Gear Nut
 

Umm...i remember seeing a vid with an amazing balancing effect. I think it was related to pono?? If that gets ported to vst win...ill subscribe for that alone..

Everytime I see a cool post from AW I immediately download the demo link from from these posts and spend about an hour trying to hear the slightest change...acceleration and that latest choir plug.... Then load an analyzer and see no changes...then crank the SSL console in amusement to drive the hell out of my conntrol room drivers....then move from nuendo to cubase...same list of to dos....unfortunately I always end up removing them from my plug folder in fear of stability issues...

Love the concepts though...maybe I need another 7 years and a bigger console to know what im doing. I cant be the only one...

Anyways yeah that pono dynamic thingy will get me to perk up for sure.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #33
Deleted e71ab78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbaby View Post
Umm...i remember seeing a vid with an amazing balancing effect. I think it was related to pono?? If that gets ported to vst win...ill subscribe for that alone..

Everytime I see a cool post from AW I immediately download the demo link from from these posts and spend about an hour trying to hear the slightest change...acceleration and that latest choir plug.... Then load an analyzer and see no changes...then crank the SSL console in amusement to drive the hell out of my conntrol room drivers....then move from nuendo to cubase...same list of to dos....unfortunately I always end up removing them from my plug folder in fear of stability issues...

Love the concepts though...maybe I need another 7 years and a bigger console to know what im doing. I cant be the only one...

Anyways yeah that pono dynamic thingy will get me to perk up for sure.
You can't hear Acceleration? It's really very obvious when it's cranked what it's doing.

Some aw plugs are subtle yes, purest warm, purest drive but all can be clearly heard when pushed hotter levels. Stability wise Airwindows are some of the most stable plugins I've used, ofc your experience may differ.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #34
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbaby View Post
Umm...i remember seeing a vid with an amazing balancing effect. I think it was related to pono?? If that gets ported to vst win...ill subscribe for that alone..

Everytime I see a cool post from AW I immediately download the demo link from from these posts and spend about an hour trying to hear the slightest change...acceleration and that latest choir plug.... Then load an analyzer and see no changes...then crank the SSL console in amusement to drive the hell out of my conntrol room drivers....then move from nuendo to cubase...same list of to dos....unfortunately I always end up removing them from my plug folder in fear of stability issues...

Love the concepts though...maybe I need another 7 years and a bigger console to know what im doing. I cant be the only one...

Anyways yeah that pono dynamic thingy will get me to perk up for sure.
Righteous4 is coming out two weeks from now, and will use the Spiral distortion algorithm

Yeah, Acceleration is supposed to remove transients invisibly so unless you can hear 20K content reliably then hearing it is going to be a challenge, plus unless your content already has loud super highs it's supposed to not touch anything. It's like trying to measure the Channel slew limiter's behavior but without any highs

Atmosphere is similar, not supposed to apply changes unless the highs are really loud. Distance2 will be easier to hear (in some cases, very very very easy to hear )

I promise my plugins will not eat your other plugins just by being in the same folder. Might intimidate them a little, but not eat them
Old 23rd May 2018
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
You can't hear Acceleration? It's really very obvious when it's cranked what it's doing.

Some aw plugs are subtle yes, purest warm, purest drive but all can be clearly heard when pushed hotter levels. Stability wise Airwindows are some of the most stable plugins I've used, ofc your experience may differ.
At 96k nope.... Im usually working with stuff recorded in pretty decent rooms however...I did mean Atmoshphere channel and bus? Its been awhile.

Good to hear about Righteous !
Old 23rd May 2018
  #36
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
You can't hear Acceleration? It's really very obvious when it's cranked what it's doing.

Some aw plugs are subtle yes, purest warm, purest drive but all can be clearly heard when pushed hotter levels. Stability wise Airwindows are some of the most stable plugins I've used, ofc your experience may differ.
Acceleration is a lot more subtle at higher sampling rates if I'm not mistaken, I work at 24/96 and I use Accelleration a lot but I usually crank it pretty high to get a subtle softening of the highs. From what Chris has said and demonstrated, at 44.1 or 48 the settings I'm using would be pretty extreme (by the standards of Acceleration, as in it seems to be very noticeable but still nothing like a lowpass filter or anything, just a , but at high sample rates I basically don't even hear a change at all on most material until I have it up to about 1/3. If I'm using it on something that's really overly bright and has a ton of high frequency content I'll start noticing a tiny bit of change at more like 1/4 but even then it's pretty subtle.

At 96kHz I'd say turning Acceleration all the way up is still more subtle than Average set down around 0.1. I use it less as a tone shaping tool and more as something that I'll throw on a track if I've been mixing for a while and notice that a particular instrument in the mix is starting to get fatiguing after repeated listenings, I can hit it pretty hard with Acceleration and it will sound almost the same but will be gentler on the ears.
Old 12th June 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
@ chrisj : I was wondering: what about a pan plugin? The PurestGain + Atmosphere/PurestConsole combo has somehow replaced my DAW's faders and hacked its summing engine, so I suppose an AW pan/stereo placement plugin to be put before/after PG would make sense, right?
Old 12th June 2018
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
Ganglion's Avatar
Just confirming what the others are saying about acceleration. I usually work at 44/48 in ProTools. I use metaplugin. When i first got acceleration, i tried it on an overhead track, and when i cranked it, I could only tell a subtle difference. Then I realized the metaplugin oversampling was turned on, and it was working at 88 instead of 44. When I put it back to normal (no oversampling), it was extremely noticeable. But backing off made it perfectly subtle. It's a great tool
Old 14th June 2018
  #39
Deleted e71ab78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
@ chrisj : I was wondering: what about a pan plugin? The PurestGain + Atmosphere/PurestConsole combo has somehow replaced my DAW's faders and hacked its summing engine, so I suppose an AW pan/stereo placement plugin to be put before/after PG would make sense, right?
+1

I actually wrote a post regarding this but the browser shut down and didn't rewrite.

I was looking for something that would sit before purestconsole and take care of what the daw mixer does but I couldn't find what I was after in one plugin.

I was thinking something along the lines of a purest strip. Which could have purest gain on board, a true pan dial and 6db hp and lp filters, just simple smooth ones. Something along those lines would be great sat before console. There are channel utilities available but I feel most miss something in some way and sure Chris could do a killer utility to pair up with the console versions.

I have an ableton rack with purestconsole in it, purest gain before hand for fader level and automation, ableton utility for panning and tapedither to switch on or off for resampling. I've grouped them all and only have the macros showing so it's like a nice channel utility at the end of a channel.
Old 14th June 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 

I'm finding that Atmosphere is often perfectly complemented by NJAD in mastering more digital sounding electronic music. Atmosphere tends to soften things a bit and NJAD can bring back the edge that is lost. Super cool stuff.
Old 15th June 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 
StoneyBCN's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I'm finding that Atmosphere is often perfectly complemented by NJAD in mastering more digital sounding electronic music. Atmosphere tends to soften things a bit and NJAD can bring back the edge that is lost. Super cool stuff.
There was a little discussion on the PurestConsole page about authentically emulating "vintage sampler dirt" with certain combinations of Console variants and bit reduction. If you want an Airwindows-level sampler effect, it's just three clicks away...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
candyflip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaKurki View Post
Question: Could you please explain Console5 family's interchangeability? If I use different types of consolechannel in a mix, what bus plugin should I use? For example, if I use Atmospherechannel and Purestconsolechannel in the same mix, does console work the same way with either one of bus plugins? Purestconsole being the simplest one of the family, is purestconsolebus still able to decode console5channel or Atmospherechannel correctly? What bus plugin works best when mixing different console types?
Sorry for the bump, but it seems this question was overlooked and I'd also like to know the same thing. @ chrisj ? Many thanks in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Sorry for the bump, but it seems this question was overlooked and I'd also like to know the same thing. @ chrisj ? Many thanks in advance!
That's gonna be really subjective. I can't tell you those things, I can only make versions of Console available. Console4 (and BussColors4 and Desk4) can work together. Console5s also work together, including Atmosphere.

The bottom line is 'if it has the same encode/decode type it can be mix-and-matched'. But I can't tell you which combination is right for you. That will be personal.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump