The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison introduces AVA Mastering EQ for AU + VST + AAX
Old 26th April 2018
Harrison Consoles

Software Harrison introduces AVA Mastering EQ for AU + VST + AAX

For Immediate Release
Nashville (Music City) USA

Harrison Consoles - the developers of Mixbus and Mixbus32C DAWs, ultra-high-end mixing consoles, and associated high-performance DSP plugins - announces the launch of their new cross-format plugin: the AVA Mastering EQ. Now you can add some “Harrison Mixbus magic” to your workflow, regardless of which DAW you use.

Introductory price $49 : Harrison Consoles

The AVA Mastering EQ is the first of a new cross-format plugin range from Harrison which supports the following platforms and formats:

AAX : Mac, Windows
VST3 : Mac, Windows
VST : Mac, Windows, Linux
AudioUnit : Mac

Product Description:

Everyone needs a mastering EQ. As the final step of the production chain, the mastering EQ provides a chance to tweak the tone of the mix after you’ve established a relative balance for the individual instruments. The AVA Mastering EQ features a revolutionary filter shape that is explicitly designed for mastering your tracks. Unlike a conventional EQ, when adjacent bands of the AVA Mastering EQ are adjusted, the response is "flat" between the band edges. This preserves the relative harmonic balance of the instruments in your mix while adjusting the overall tonality. The AVA Mastering EQ is optimized for small, wide-bandwidth adjustments.

Controlling the AVA Mastering EQ is easy and intuitive: just click and drag your mouse to draw the EQ shape that you need. Managing a powerful, full-range EQ has never been so fast and easy. The results are quintessentially "Harrison": effortless, smooth and transparent.

AVA Mastering EQ Features:
  • 31 control bands, high pass filter, low pass filter, adjustable filter order, level trim, and momentary bypass controls.
  • IInnovative DSP curve-match allows a "flat top" across adjacent band boost/cuts, and preserves the harmonic balance between instruments.
  • Ultra-fidelity equalizer is based on Harrison's XTools: plugins developed for our renowned digital consoles.

MSRP Price:
US$69.00
FREE DEMO

Introductory price $49 : Harrison Consoles

"vintage" theme:
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

If this is the same as the one mastering EQ plugin which I use the last 3 years in Mixbus, I have to admit that it sounds great - it is great!
Here comes the question: For me who purchased this plugin which was for use only inside Mixbus, will I receive a free license for this cross format plugin range?

* I have to notice that when I did purchase it few years ago the price was around $129
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Sounds really good so smooth great i like it but every 30 second the license screen is a bit annoying. Need to close the plug in (not reload) to continue..
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ Arionas , yes, we are sending out an email to our existing customers now !

@ cinrec : Thanks for the nice comments!! What host DAW are you using?

-Ben at Harrison
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrec[/MENTION
: Thanks for the nice comments!! What host DAW are you using?

-Ben at Harrison
You are welcome. Logic ProX 10.4.1
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Time to hire a new UI designer tho. It's so ugly it hurts my eyes. Will buy when the GUI gets decent.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ Oni :

We did, in fact, get a new designer ... but this plugin is based on some of our previous console DSp so he hasn't had much chance to stretch his legs, yet.

Aesthetics are a very personal choice. You can find any number of arguments on Gearslutz about plugin UIs. It's normal to have a strong opinion about this stuff.

If it's just a "color" issue, we do provide 2 alternative themes in the plugin: one is dark and the other is lighter. you can access them from the "Gear" menu.

Best,
Ben at Harrison
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@ Arionas , yes, we are sending out an email to our existing customers now !

@ cinrec : Thanks for the nice comments!! What host DAW are you using?

-Ben at Harrison
That's great Ben!
Harrison rules!
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

hmmm how does this compare to the Balance Magpha??

Also a pic of the lighter GUI would be helpful.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
@ Oni :

We did, in fact, get a new designer ... but this plugin is based on some of our previous console DSp so he hasn't had much chance to stretch his legs, yet.

Aesthetics are a very personal choice. You can find any number of arguments on Gearslutz about plugin UIs. It's normal to have a strong opinion about this stuff.

If it's just a "color" issue, we do provide 2 alternative themes in the plugin: one is dark and the other is lighter. you can access them from the "Gear" menu.

Best,
Ben at Harrison
As I find myself repeating over and over in my posts in this forum, GUI design is not a purely aesthetic thing. Interface design is not exclusively a matter of designing vintage-looking plugin windows, with led-lighted VU meters, 3D bolts and screws and scratches all over a fake metallic surface. A good GUI should offer the end-user an intuitive and deep interaction with the processing being applied, in a clean and responsive way. Personally I like the way most Harrison-branded software stuff sounds, but I feel like it could improve by leaps and bounds with an interface overhaul which, while not simple nor cheap to implement, could make the fortune of an entire line of products.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm having a hard time grasping what's revolutionary about this.it sounds like you are just describing high order filters?so unless this is linear phase the trade off of that "preserved harmonic balance"is mega tonnes of group delay and or "pre-ringing"(which is still group delay occuring before the audio signal)

Feel free to correct me though ofcourse.i'm always on the look out for truly revolutionary DSP
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ Idontcare : you might watch the video to see how the bands interact when adjacent bands are boosted.

I'll make some plots to demonstrate the difference for you and @ profvonsok .

Thanks for your interest!

-Ben at Harrison
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Guru
So this is the Mastering eq I have but able to work outside Mixbus? Is it free if you own it? The e-mail said it's $39-? A bit confusing.......
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
So this is the Mastering eq I have but able to work outside Mixbus? Is it free if you own it? The e-mail said it's $39-? A bit confusing.......
I also received this email.
It's not a fair price for who initially paid 3 times more to purchase it as a Mixbus plugin. Personally I had purchase it at its initially price without any discount.
I would expect to be free for me now, or much lower than the $39.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ Idontcare , profvonsok:

I'm going to do this in 2 separate steps. In this first example I will compare the AVA-ME to a "graphic" EQ. And in the second I will compare to a parametric like the Balance Magpha.

(note: right-click and choose "open in new tab" if you want to see these images full-size)

First, let's look at the curve in the AVA EQ. I want to boost the 2 octaves between 200 and 800 Hz, by 3dB:

And the resulting curve, in my analyzer, matches. (sorry for the slightly different scale on-screen). You see it hitting the dotted 3dB line exactly:

Let's compare this to a readily-available graphic EQ: the Apple-provided AU plugin. ( I hate to pick on any competing brand, but I figure Apple isn't too worried about us, heh )

The Apple graphic is (as far as I can tell) a correctly-implemented graphic equalizer. If I boost a single band by 3dB, I measure a 3dB boost.

But now let's try to recreate the mastering curve that we made in the AVA EQ:

And here's the resulting curve:

..so we notice a few things:

Firstly, in a traditional EQ, combining multiple bands gives you an overall hump, with a series of ripples, caused by the summing of the individual bands. By comparison , the AVA Mastering EQ provides a flat top across the selected range. You can imagine that, when an instrument plays different notes within the boosted range, the harmonic content will be better preserved for each note that is fully in the range because there aren't a lot of "ripples" changing the harmonic balances with each note played.

Secondly, the Apple curve results in an 8dB boost, rather than the 3dB boost we selected. This is the natural result of boosting several adjacent bands of the EQ.
By comparison, the AVA EQ shows you "what you hear".

Finally, you will notice that the band edges in the AVA EQ are sharply defined, but there is no undue phase penalty at the band edges.

...you can really see this play out when we boost the "air" band 6dB around 20k:

( note: I'm using 44k sample rate here )

Thanks for listening!!!!

-Ben at Harrison

.... more to come .....

Last edited by BenLoftis; 29th April 2018 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: 44k, not 96k
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
From what I can hear so far, this EQ sounds good. But this demo is very frustrating to use. In Studio One 3.5.2 on a Mac you can't adjust the dB scale of the display. The three buttons on the lower right don't seem to do anything. I can't find a manual in any of the obvious places on a Mac or on the Harrison website. These problems occur with both AU and VST3 (VST2 isn't recognized by Studio One which is a fairly common S1 problem).
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
From what I can hear so far, this EQ sounds good. But this demo is very frustrating to use. In Studio One 3.5.2 on a Mac you can't adjust the dB scale of the display. The three buttons on the lower right don't seem to do anything. I can't find a manual in any of the obvious places on a Mac or on the Harrison website. These problems occur with both AU and VST3 (VST2 isn't recognized by Studio One which is a fairly common S1 problem).
Thanks for trying out the demo!

If you move any of the EQ bands past the top or bottom of the display, the scale of the display will adjust to accommodate the highest/lowest gain value.

The icons in the lower right of the plugin are just instructional: you can click + drag to draw, shift click and drag to smooth over the curve you've drawn, or right click and drag to clear what you've drawn

The manual for the plugin is available at:

Harrison Consoles

In the link in the description of the plugin
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAtHarrison View Post
Thanks for trying out the demo!

If you move any of the EQ bands past the top or bottom of the display, the scale of the display will adjust to accommodate the highest/lowest gain value.

The icons in the lower right of the plugin are just instructional: you can click + drag to draw, shift click and drag to smooth over the curve you've drawn, or right click and drag to clear what you've drawn

The manual for the plugin is available at:

Harrison Consoles

In the link in the description of the plugin
OK, Thanks. I must have been spacing out. Everything does indeed work as you say. I didn't see the manual link as I glanced over the product page because it's a dark blue against a black background.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru

Ben any chance we see a 32c eq also soon ?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm trying to demo this plugin in Logic Pro 10.4.1 on Sierra and after a minute a screen appears asking for a license. I have to close the plugin and open it but it keeps doing that. I didn't see a demo license in the eMail I got. I can't even demo it.

???
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac

got the same but the sound remains; only this authorize screen.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac
It is very interesting. While using Reason I have purchased UHe Re plugin and when Propellerhead announced the support of VST Uhe granted me the VST version for free. Ever since, that company got my respect. Harrison in the other hand
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

@ Ardis , @ Arionas , @ Smallworld : you will still get the value from your original XT-ME purchase! We will continue to support it, and we intend to add new features specific to Mixbus (such as an inline-ui mode).

The AVA EQ is a new product with its own development team, and it requires a separate purchase.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Ben,

Looking forward to your Balance Magpha (or whichever parametric) comparison.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Oh by the way, the interface looks great and unique to me, and personally I think you should leave it how it is.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Ardis , @ Arionas , @ Smallworld : you will still get the value from your original XT-ME purchase! We will continue to support it, and we intend to add new features specific to Mixbus (such as an inline-ui mode).

The AVA EQ is a new product with its own development team, and it requires a separate purchase.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Maybe it is worth noting the Metric Halo does a similar thing with their plugins.

They have the ones for use in the MIO Console, then they have other plugins that you can use within your DAW, and using CPU processing. These are a separate purchase.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru
I am glad Harrison plug ins can be used outside the system. I'm not so glad a EQ or Comp I bought for $100 bucks costs another $40- to be able to use it in Reaper.....
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Maybe it is worth noting the Metric Halo does a similar thing with their plugins.

They have the ones for use in the MIO Console, then they have other plugins that you can use within your DAW, and using CPU processing. These are a separate purchase.
That is a bit of a different situation requiring their hardware. I think Harrison should bite the bullet here and give the plug to those that have purchased the same plug already for Mixbus. It may hurt initially but it would be a goodwill gesture to existing customers that spur additional sales. The logical progression is that they're probably going to release more of the their plugs in a similar fashion and that's just going to create more annoyed Mixbus customers that have already bought them.

Last edited by profvonsok; 27th April 2018 at 06:59 PM..
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

duplicate

Last edited by profvonsok; 27th April 2018 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: dupe
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Ben any chance we see a 32c eq also soon ?
+1 ...??

And if so, will the filters have the bump button on the highpass?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search