The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klevgrand releases DAW Cassette - Tape Emulation
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
In an ideal senario that is, but not in real life.

When we recorded with real cassettes back then,
(or with reel-tape for that matter)
dolby was off most of the time, unless really needed.

When you killed the noise with Dolby,
you also killed part of the higher frequencies in the music.
It was always a question about fine-balancing though ...

Dolby noise-reduction system - Wikipedia

Yes, but (not having tried the plug myself yet) is there a possibility the Dolby K switch here is 'Dolby Klevgraend" and effectively nothing oyher than a 'no noise' switch, nothing to do with actual Dolby or modelling it?
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yes, but (not having tried the plug myself yet) is there a possibility the Dolby K switch here is 'Dolby Klevgraend" and effectively nothing oyher than a 'no noise' switch, nothing to do with actual Dolby or modelling it?

I have not yet tried the plugin myself

But you might be right

Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
Two years ago, when I was singing the praises of cassettes, and using a 4-track for a commercial release this forum couldn't condemn them as "useless" and "Best left in the past" fast enough....

....Now everyone's d**k riding.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Great news!
Really Dig Webcassette, gonna pick up Dawcassette immediately...
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Webcassette has Play/Stop/Rew/FF buttons, I don't see them on the plug-in... am I right ?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
Webcassette has Play/Stop/Rew/FF buttons, I don't see them on the plug-in... am I right ?
Indeed. Can't remember what they did in Webcassette, probably a transport mechanism, so I can't see how that would translate to a plugin which can't control the daw's transport.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
No. Dolby K setting sounds different than the No Dolby setting. For many purposes I would use the Dolby K setting, but on certain instruments the No Dolby setting worked much better in terms of frequency response.

I guess if Klevgrand doesn't give us a noise free option, we can always use a de-noise plug-in following DAW Cassette, which Mike.r already suggested.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
No. Dolby K setting sounds different than the No Dolby setting. For many purposes I would use the Dolby K setting, but on certain instruments the No Dolby setting worked much better in terms of frequency response.

I guess if Klevgrand doesn't give us a noise free option, we can always use a de-noise plug-in following DAW Cassette, which Mike.r already suggested.
You think a denoise plugin is going to do anything good for the outcome?
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

wonderful plugin! can be used for creative fx with the right material.

I even combined it in a chain with the uad studer and was very pleasing.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I actually tried using Klevgrand's own Brusfi which is quite good for denoising but it definitely altered the sound.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
I actually tried using Klevgrand's own Brusfi which is quite good for denoising but it definitely altered the sound.
Yup, I have brusfri too. And must say, sadly subjectively it hasn't worked out being as useful as I first thought. It's not bad, but like all denoisers it has its own artifacts.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nope. That's why I initially suggested that Klevgrand include a control to turn off the noise I guess you missed that part of the thread. In my opinion, a denoise plug-in would be a poor second choice and I might find some other option depending on how it sounds.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nope. That's why I initially suggested that Klevgrand include a control to turn off the noise I guess you missed that part of the thread. In my opinion, a denoise plug-in would be a poor second choice and I might find some other option depending on how it sounds.
Looks like they have renamed the previously 'Dolby' called switch to noise now, and the far right previous 'Dolby K' is now 'Noise off'. Still sounds the same. Happier now?
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Looks like they have renamed the previously 'Dolby' called switch to noise now, and the far right previous 'Dolby K' is now 'Noise off'. Still sounds the same. Happier now?
Well, I went back and checked more closely. I believe you are correct that Dolby K (now "Noise Off") creates the same audio content as "Noise High" but without the noise. So I was wrong about that.

I guess I like how the noise interacts with the actual audio because it does sound different in terms of frequency content to me than "Noise Off" when a full mix is going and most of the DAW Cassette noise on a single instrument track is masked. I think it's behaving somewhat like dither in that regard. So I was asking for something that can't exist, which is the interesting effect of all that noise on the audio content without the noise being audible in quiet portions. Perhaps I'll try a gate if I want to use the "High Noise" setting.

And yes . . . I'm happy . . . Hope you're happy too.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yup, I have brusfri too. And must say, sadly subjectively it hasn't worked out being as useful as I first thought. It's not bad, but like all denoisers it has its own artifacts.
Agreed. Personally, I rarely use denoisers but on the rare occasions I resort to using one I’ve found Brusfi to be tolerable. Like you said, none are without artifacts.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Maniac

insanely good plugin. everything this company makes is so much fun, inexpensive, and super useable. SUPPORT THE LIL GUYS MAKING DOPE STUFF!!
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
insanely good plugin. everything this company makes is so much fun, inexpensive, and super useable. SUPPORT THE LIL GUYS MAKING DOPE STUFF!!
is it your mission to be a shill for klevgrand? if so, you do exactly the opposite
you're literally on every thread of theirs.
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
is it your mission to be a shill for klevgrand? if so, you do exactly the opposite
you're literally on every thread of theirs.
Whoa! Can’t someone be a fanboy? I know that some people get really enthusiastic about specific plugin developers and post on every thread. Just look at Acoustica and UAD threads if you want to see examples of this.
I post positive responses on multiple threads by certain developers because I want them to thrive/survive so I can continue to buy from them/receive updates in the future. It’s actually driven by self-interest to a certain extent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Cassette recordings were never that good. Tape hiss and the highs would reduce the more you played it. Not to mention the cassette deck eating the tape every once in a while. The best cassettes were the metal ones and using Dolby C. You would only benefit with a higher end tape deck. I used a Nakamichi CR-3 tape deck back in the day. The wider 8 Track tape actually provided better sound.

I would never want to impart the negative ramifications of cassettes on music. A good real to reel emulation yes, but cassette never
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, I went back and checked more closely. I believe you are correct that Dolby K (now "Noise Off") creates the same audio content as "Noise High" but without the noise. So I was wrong about that.

I guess I like how the noise interacts with the actual audio because it does sound different in terms of frequency content to me than "Noise Off" when a full mix is going and most of the DAW Cassette noise on a single instrument track is masked. I think it's behaving somewhat like dither in that regard. So I was asking for something that can't exist, which is the interesting effect of all that noise on the audio content without the noise being audible in quiet portions. Perhaps I'll try a gate if I want to use the "High Noise" setting.

And yes . . . I'm happy . . . Hope you're happy too.

if you ALSO have the tape workshop plugin "u-he satin" you can use it in—like—technical, non-tape emulation mode before and after DAW CASETTE to take advantage of its wide variety of emulations of old noise reduction methods.

Step One
Add instance of Satin, turn off tape emulation, EQ circuit, and basically everything EXCEPT for noise reduction systems. Set "encoder" to UHX Type II (in actuality it's DBX but, you know, trademark stuff). Set decoder to NOTHING.

Step Two
Add DAW Cassette. Destroy the sound. Leave noise setting on highest.

Step Three
Add another instance of Satin without tape emulation or EQ circuit. Set "encoder" to nothing (it was already encoded by the last plugin instance before you put it into the dawcassette 'tape'). Set decoder to UHX Type II.

Done.

Suddenly the noise will still definitely be there, but it will die away by miles when the sound level is low, and will seem less strong in the main frequency bands. Try this with the various noise reduction systems and see which one you like!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search