The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear
Any update on the VMR2 loading time issue in Live 10?

Instances are taking 1.5 minutes to load on my i7 system, so i'm tied to the old version for now.

Thanks!
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Overloud gems have oversampling options also now with the new update. But theres a warning, turning on oversampling is not recommend since its not a transparent process. I dont understand lol.
They are being fair that's all.

Most oversampling filters change sound. That's what they mean.

Even Slate does not recommend it. Steven said that oversamnpling is needed only if you are doing heavy distortion. He said that in VMR 2.0 video.

Better thing would be to off oversample and simply work at higher freq.rate. 96khz if possible. But not all people have that strong CPU which can run absolutely all your plugins at that rate in busy session - so there you have it.
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

@steven-Any issues using a AMD Ryzen with VMR 2? Building a new Pro Tool system and would like to use a Ryzen.
Old 17th May 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, we are working on fixes for all reported bugs and should have updates soon. Rickk, I don't see any issues on AMD Ryzens.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
They are being fair that's all.

Most oversampling filters change sound. That's what they mean.

Even Slate does not recommend it. Steven said that oversamnpling is needed only if you are doing heavy distortion. He said that in VMR 2.0 video.

Better thing would be to off oversample and simply work at higher freq.rate. 96khz if possible. But not all people have that strong CPU which can run absolutely all your plugins at that rate in busy session - so there you have it.
Except Slate knows how to do it (the oversampling thing) so, being a departure from the zero latency philosophy that they are promoting, and also being much more cpu intensive, such 'advices' are not coming as a surprise. However, I'm really happy with the update and, echoing what others already said, would be nice to have a global toggle for it, or a render only function.
Old 17th May 2018

Just a reminder, when I said that "oversampling" is not an automatic better button, I was being very honest, and it's very easy to prove that.

Take a mix, oversample the whole thing, bounce. Do the same without oversampling, bounce. Do a null test. Unless you have one of the modules performing some heavy saturation, you'll not have much left over.. certainly not enough to make a dramatic difference. But even more importantly, do a proper blind A/B test (try the Nugen plugin). Several users on the Facebook group mentioned that they heard dramatic differences in oversampling vs non oversampling, but then a blind A/B test proved it was psychological.

And of course, the reason that there is very little difference between our oversampled vs non oversampled is because of the way the algorithms are designed. Fabrice takes pride in that, as he should.

So therefore, before you add extra latency and CPU, make sure you have a real sonic purpose to do so.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi Shatz, at this point we have quite a lot of processors that provide dynamic nonlinear artifacts that I would be surprised if something doesn't get close.

We have several tape nonlinears, solid state nonlinears, tube nonlinears... I would mess with VTM, all the VCC models, and the VTC models. I think you'll find some great color, and perhaps one or more will give you the tone you like in the Softube plugin. All the best!

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded a demo of the SSL X-Saturator (emulation of the VHD) and compared settings with just using the VTC and trimmer to crank the input up and essentially got what I was looking for. Saved me a $100 from not buying X-Saturator. Thanks!
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Just wanted to say that the 'small' addition of the strips has really made my workflow much better. I generally have chains of the same few modules, so this is really helpful. Great stuff!
Old 18th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded a demo of the SSL X-Saturator (emulation of the VHD) and compared settings with just using the VTC and trimmer to crank the input up and essentially got what I was looking for. Saved me a $100 from not buying X-Saturator. Thanks!
Awesome I love saving people money! Yeah with the TRIMMER you can really drive the hell out of almost any of our analog modeled processors and get some kind of cool funky saturation. You can even try it with the FG-N or FG-S EQs... all the saturation in the output section is modeled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Just wanted to say that the 'small' addition of the strips has really made my workflow much better. I generally have chains of the same few modules, so this is really helpful. Great stuff!
So great to hear! The strips seem simple on the surface (say that three times fast!) but in use they are game changing. 90% of my time is mixing with channelstrips, and 10% is customizing if needed from the module gallery. Way better workflow!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome I love saving people money! Yeah with the TRIMMER you can really drive the hell out of almost any of our analog modeled processors and get some kind of cool funky saturation. You can even try it with the FG-N or FG-S EQs... all the saturation in the output section is modeled!

So great to hear! The strips seem simple on the surface (say that three times fast!) but in use they are game changing. 90% of my time is mixing with channelstrips, and 10% is customizing if needed from the module gallery. Way better workflow!

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steven, quick question if you don't mind.

You mentioned "output saturation" on the FG-N. Cool. I've been wondering for the longest time about this. So does the FG-73 encapsulate that classic input stage, and the FG-S does the output? They are both different (though similar) circuits on the hw. I'd always run them this way and hey, sounds great! But any kind of official comment on that authentic signal flow being there in VMR would be cool.

Sorry if it's been clarified before, the internet is vast...

Keep bringing the heat.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Slate, Adobe Premiere CC 2018 projects created with VMR x64 VST2 v1 crashes after installing VMR v2. I need to remove the plugin .dll for the projects to open. Rescanning does not solve it.

Last edited by blackcom; 19th May 2018 at 03:28 AM..
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
I turned on oversampling on every VMR track within a project I'm working on.
Pretty much brought my otherwise smooth running session to its knees. Universal enable/disable of oversampling should be a top priority on the next update. It's very time consuming to do it manually. KUSH plugs already have this.
I don’t know if oversampling is enabled on a per plugin instance basis. If it is, my advice would to just use it on the main elects in the mixand anything with enough high frequency content.

So kick, snare, overheads, bass if it is prominent enough, lead vocals, lead instruments. Background elements reall don’t need it, it’s quite possibly just a waste of CPU resources.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Guru
I do want to say that having a free update is always welcome! Classy and appreciated......
Old 20th May 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Slate, Adobe Premiere CC 2018 projects created with VMR x64 VST2 v1 crashes after installing VMR v2. I need to remove the plugin .dll for the projects to open. Rescanning does not solve it.
There seems to be a compatibility issue around ILOK with the new VMR2 and other products that use older plugin wrappers. Loading both dll's causes my DAW to crash as well, removing either one of the conflicting dll's makes the crash disappear. For instance, i cannot run any of my Lexicon plugins together with VMR2 at the moment. The issue appears to be known, but i'm unsure about what's being done about it, or by whom, as more parties are involved.

Steven; thanks for the heads up on the update
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok For the first time Just for the sake of trying the new version I installed and it has crashed Mixbus 32 instantly on Mac using AU.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizok View Post
There seems to be a compatibility issue around ILOK with the new VMR2 and other products that use older plugin wrappers. Loading both dll's causes my DAW to crash as well, removing either one of the conflicting dll's makes the crash disappear. For instance, i cannot run any of my Lexicon plugins together with VMR2 at the moment. The issue appears to be known, but i'm unsure about what's being done about it, or by whom, as more parties are involved.

Steven; thanks for the heads up on the update
I only run v2 on my system, im not mixing up dlls. Will try updating iLok.
Old 23rd May 2018
Have there been any S1 users having issues with this update? It won't even open on either S3 or S4 for me it just crashes the entire software.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Have there been any S1 users having issues with this update? It won't even open on either S3 or S4 for me it just crashes the entire software.
no issues on s1 4.0 osx sierra, using vst2.4
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Slate, will you add:
-A global oversampling on/off?
-A global use oversampling only when rendering option (affects all instances)?
Old 24th May 2018
Is anyone else experiencing significantly longer load times?

It used to take my computer about 5-8 seconds to load VMR, now it's around 20-30 seconds.

When your project contains multiple copies this is extremely inconvenient :/
Old 24th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Slate, will you add:
-A global oversampling on/off?
-A global use oversampling only when rendering option (affects all instances)?
Thanks for these suggestions, I've sent them to the dev team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
Is anyone else experiencing significantly longer load times?

It used to take my computer about 5-8 seconds to load VMR, now it's around 20-30 seconds.

When your project contains multiple copies this is extremely inconvenient :/
Hi Jesse, sorry you are having problems. We have a new update being tested that fixes many user reported issues. Hang tight brother!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Head
Hi steven,

Can you explain why the recovery time on you 176 is so slow?

My 1176's and all the units I've used over the years are much faster.
Old 25th May 2018
Here for the gear
I don't know if this is because of v2 or because of the latest windows 10 update, but any time I load even a single instance of VMR, the PACE Licensing Service starts using 15-30% of my CPU, continuously, until I remove all instances of VMR. Makes it pretty much useless.
Old 26th May 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSlayer View Post
Hi steven,

This! I've been wondering about that since the very first release. I'm really surprised that nobody seems to care.

My ears are telling me that recovery is much faster than it seems but vu meter ballistic is - at best - debatable. I had a couple of 1176s in my studio and vu meters were faster, like a lot faster.

And every plugins I tested was (visually) different (and faster)!

I don't know maybe older units were slower?

Lox
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSlayer View Post
Hi steven,

I'll give this a 3rd. It's not just the meters either. The grab is nice and feels right, but the fastest release is still much slower than every other 1176 I've used, plugins or hardware. It's my least favorite of the bunch. Love the Distressor though.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
I'll give this a 3rd. It's not just the meters either. The grab is nice and feels right, but the fastest release is still much slower than every other 1176 I've used, plugins or hardware. It's my least favorite of the bunch.
No you are wrong. Now XY internet nobody and supposedly random user will jump here and will post how he compared 1176 plugin to his hardware and it is dead spot on and you are wrong.

He will even post a files and tell you to come in his studio if you don't believe him. Try to contact him or go in to his studio i bet you won't be able to because he is tight on schedule or something like that.

If you are finding that your unit is different in compressor action to plugin and post that here - developer will likely join here and gonna claim that explanation for this is that they modeled different "golden unit". And so on.

Make up your mind on that.

And no i don't say Slate 1176 is bad. And yes i have it.

This whole thing is starting to be even more creepy then it is.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear
Steven, you rock dude. Love your stuff, and passion for what you do.

And now for my wishlist...I'd love to see and hear your take on an La2a comp! Pleaaasseee!

Also, an API 550a/b and Dbx 160x (like someone else mentioned) would rock too.

Eventually, maybe some Manley stuff (Massive Passive), Pultecs, etc.?

Looking forward to the gate, hopefully it's SSL'ish!
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Head

Regarding the FG-116 compressor - after reading the thread I've just tested it alongside the IK Black 76 one, and found that meter release times are similar (at a fastest setting), but in fact, Black 76 is slightly slower.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
No problem here with S1v3 or 4. Sierra.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fassett View Post
I don't know if this is because of v2 or because of the latest windows 10 update, but any time I load even a single instance of VMR, the PACE Licensing Service starts using 15-30% of my CPU, continuously, until I remove all instances of VMR. Makes it pretty much useless.
There are guys on Steinberg forum complaining of similar problems with 10 or 12% use as soon as VMR is loaded. it's much less for me..but still more than it should be at 2% rather than the 0.2% it sits at with any other plugs and that ilok have confirmed is typical useage on a modern computer.

Quote:
We have a new update being tested that fixes many user reported issues. Hang tight brother!
Hi Steven, can you please confirm if the above is one of the issues that will be addressed with the update?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search