The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip Dynamics Plugins
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Phase button (maybe just a tiny little button up near the top of the GUI) and next to it two little gain knobs, one controlling input stage and another controlling final output. The gain knobs would be cherries on top as I’m not scared to put my daw’s own trim plugin before and after the vmr
+1
There's really no need for a separate Trimmer module, it should be in the "chassis".
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
+1
There's really no need for a separate Trimmer module, it should be in the "chassis".

I disagree...I like it to check my gainstaging between modules in the rack.

Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Then a tiny output trim on each module... either way, to have a whole module just as a trimmer is wasteful space-wise.

Maybe if the full size module had a full compliment of tools? Trimmer, phase, hi/low pass, condom dispenser, etc
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Then a tiny output trim on each module... either way, to have a whole module just as a trimmer is wasteful space-wise.

Maybe if the full size module had a full compliment of tools? Trimmer, phase, hi/low pass, condom dispenser, etc
I mean, I don’t leave the trimmer in the chain. I just move it a long in the signal to make sure everything is gain staged properly. It might be good to have a minimize button to make the models get thinner or something. I just don’t see the problem with how it is right now though. Oversampling is definitely exciting. I noticed the VMS sounded better at higher sample rates but I’d run out of horsepower trying to mix above 48khz.
Old 21st April 2018
Here for the gear

It says in the FAQ that previous sessions that have opened instances of VMR 1.0 won't be affected.

Has this been the case in real world terms? What ever modules used (and their settings) will be retained? I won't open a session and find a "Dream Strip" installed where I originally just had an eq and a compressor?

(Logic Pro X 10.4.1, Everything Bundle user)

Thanks.

JZ
Old 21st April 2018
hey - is here a way to hide / uninstall the modules that are not licensed?
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Unlike a few other companies like UAD, ik MultiMedia, you are aware than you can do custom installation with the VMR installer?

You can select which modules, which presets and which plugin formats you want to install on both mac and pc.
very grateful for this.
rsp
Hmm okay will reinstall maybe I missed the customize button. Thanks
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
You make a fair point. And obviously, Trimmer has to stay to provide compatibility with the previous versions. However, I really think there should be no need to add trim if all I want is to adjust phase and levels in and out of the rack.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Hmm okay will reinstall maybe I missed the customize button. Thanks

yeah it is easy to miss till you notice it the first time.

For instance on the mac.....you can click on each arrow to the left to make your choices.
Similar on PC except on PC it is even better as it remembers your last choice.

rsp
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip-screen-shot-2018-04-21-3.19.01-pm.jpg  

Last edited by zvenx; 21st April 2018 at 09:21 PM..
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear
This (standard) installer (still) sucks. It's not easy to find out which modules are licensed and which are not licensed. This kind of install just creates work and bloat on the machine.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
This (standard) installer (still) sucks. It's not easy to find out which modules are licensed and which are not licensed. This kind of install just creates work and bloat on the machine.
How can you expect that app installer know what you ordered? Wow..

There is custom install. You simply tick what you ordered and that will install. Is that so hard?
Old 22nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Haha, what a bloat ware this is!
Informative and productive to the conversation!!
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean, I don’t leave the trimmer in the chain. I just move it a long in the signal to make sure everything is gain staged properly. It might be good to have a minimize button to make the models get thinner or something. I just don’t see the problem with how it is right now though. Oversampling is definitely exciting. I noticed the VMS sounded better at higher sample rates but I’d run out of horsepower trying to mix above 48khz.
There's nothing wrong with Trimmer itself. But it doesn't negate the usefulness of/need for an output gain knob for those modules that lack one - the main purpose (and the reason it's provided on all modern plug-ins) being the ability to level match output to input, and - as part of the mixing process - to A/B each module without being fooled by level changes.

You insert a compressor, adjust to taste, A/B it, decide your compression choices are AOK, and move on to insert the SSL EQ. You do a couple heavy boosts (because, hey, who uses their analogue emulations to do boring, surgical EQ cuts - that's what your DAW's EQ is for) and ... now the track is louder, but is it better? Yeah, you can insert Trimmer, and do a double bypass to compare, but ... that's not how we roll in 2018. Everything from UAD's venerable Cambridge EQ, to FabFilter's ProQ to many (if not all) stock EQs have an output level adjust.

But if you gainstage correctly going in to VMR, and level match each part of the process, there's no need to keep using Trimmer in between each step.
Old 22nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback! It's great to hear all opinions!

However, with some time I think you'll learn to appreciate what the admittedly simple Dream Strip feature can offer you in terms of workflow. Check out my mixing video to see it in action... it switches the mindset from loading a plugin rack that requires populating to instantly loading 'go-to' channelstrips so that you can mix faster and more intuitively:

As for the other updates, these were certainly not trivial on our side and many of them have been in demand for quite some time! Oversampling, undo/redo, trash, all new browser, removing noise, faster load times, hundred new presets, etc.

But the good news is that whether you like the updates or not, your wallet probably likes them!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the comments! We'll continue to keep listening and working hard to make great stuff for you. Have fun!

Cheers,
Steven
I've no doubt the dream strip will be appreciated by some people, specially those using a Raven, but for me personally I've had my own 'dream strips' saved for ages as Cubase track presets so I didn't have to go and search through the browser every time I load VMR. Ability to remove the noise is welcome as well as the oversampling, cool. What I'd really like is the ability to use the plugins separately but I guess thats been covered ad nauseum already. A dream strip preset doesn't help me if I have to load two separate instances of VMR on either side of a plugin I want somewhere in the middle of a chain. I know some folk love the rack, just giving constructive criticism from my point of view. Not everyone's workflow is the same. A system like the SoundToys rack makes far more sense to me.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

You're just never going to make everybody happy. But maybe, just maybe, there just might a more thoughtful approach to gain staging vmr.

Put the dang VU on the rack chassis itself. Master metering section. Make meter switchable INPUT/OUTPUT along with a MONO/ST/LT/RT/MID/SIDE listening matrix. Master level knobs, input/output. Each module gets a trim.

Yes, backwards compatibilty might not be achievable. But several major shops do this with each major update. One can always have Ozone 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever still in plugin list to revive a mix.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Head

A little off-topic, like a lot of the posts in here.. but..

I love the trimmer...

Sometimes i even put a whole rack with just the trimmer insterted between plugin insert slots...

just sayin...

Thanks for the improvements, steve..- keep up the great work=)
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac
Liking the new additions to VMR 2.0, I downloaded and installed it. And then I came here to see the reactions, knowing full well there would be a heap of criticism...

Unfortunately, some of that criticism is well funded and finds me joining in, due to the fact Studio One owners indeed lose all their previous instances of custom made VMR channel strips in projects in favour of the 'Classic Strip 1' default. After reading it here, I went in - I had to take some time off working on my current project this past week when VMR 2.0 was announced and I installed it - and found the same issue. Following the advice posted here, I 'uninstalled' VMR 2.0, then reinstalled VMR 1 with the September 2017 installer of VMR 1 - the last before 2.0 IIRC - as per the instruction video and got all my presets back.

Two questions :

1) Why did nobody bother to check this issue before release?
2) How is it possible in this day and age that Slate Digital doesn't have an uninstaller that gets rid of VMR automatically, so we won't have to jump through several hoops to get rid of all its traces in the unfortunate event that we have to go to such a measure?

My faith in SD's plugin quality remains steadfast, but these two things are instances where the company, in my opinion, has dropped the ball. Even if the flaw is on the Presonus side of software development, this should have come up in testing and either the release should have been halted until it was solved, or, if a fix would be arriving shortly, S1 users should have been made aware of this flaw. Neither has happened and it leaves a segment of Slate Digital users unhappy and out in the cold (which takes some doing at the 27°C temperatures we've been enjoying down here for over a week).

I have a few more gripes with Slate Digital which span a few years now, but this is not the place to vent them, as this thread is about VMR 2.0. But once again it does feel like enthusiasm runs way ahead of product release, and that's been a recurring theme, which I feel could impact Slate Digital's business negatively down the line if it continues like it has, because it has given other companies the opportunity to catch up and even surpass - mostly hardware - SD products which have been announced long beforehand.

Nevertheless, I'm still happily using the plugins, am still happy to pay the subscription and loving the quality and variety on offer (although that '10 plugins per year' promise to subscribers also seems to have been an empty one). VMR 1 has been reinstalled and found to be working as before within Studio One, so I'll be holding off on VMR 2.0 until either Slate Digital or Presonus issue a fix.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution View Post
A little off-topic, like a lot of the posts in here.. but..

I love the trimmer...

Sometimes i even put a whole rack with just the trimmer insterted between plugin insert slots...

just sayin...

Thanks for the improvements, steve..- keep up the great work=)
Same and that’s why I don’t see the problem with it or how it’s implemented in VMR.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Congrats on the great product! Thank You
-M
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
Not for me. I've had a nightmare this morning. I updated to VMR 2.0, and now my mix in Studio One which I was working on all day yesterday is broken.

When I open the project from the save file I created yesterday, all of the instances of VMR in the project have reset to the new default Dreamstrip. So all the mixing I did in VMR 1.0 yesterday is gone. I can't recover it.
I'm sure it's still there somewhere, because I haven't altered the saved file. But VMR 2.0 is ignoring my saved VMR 1.0 settings and loading its own defaults instead.

I have a deadline and don't have time to wait for Slate support to come online in LA, so I remixed the song from memory this morning, which took a couple of hours.

I've re-opened the file again this afternoon, and the VMRs have all reset themselves again.

I would recommend waiting to see if this problem gets sorted before updating, as this has cost me hours and hours of work, and I won't know if it will get fixed until I get my support ticket answered.

Disaster.
O...K...waiting for next update before installing.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by deondamage; 23rd April 2018 at 08:43 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

VMR 2.0 release (as you can see i like it) actually got me thinking how Slate doesn't utilize just "sell it while it's hot" or "more content, more sales blabla". This release genuinely made me thinking that Slate actually does think about his plugins, i mean his older releases and he care for customer base. I mean this release literally proved it. Classy.

Not exactly what we where seeing past two years.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrayeph View Post
2) How is it possible in this day and age that Slate Digital doesn't have an uninstaller that gets rid of VMR automatically, so we won't have to jump through several hoops to get rid of all its traces in the unfortunate event that we have to go to such a measure?
Did you check your Applications folder? I guess you did not... (maybe your OS is Windows though)

VMR Uninstall command exists in the: Applications>Slate Digital>Virtual Mix Rack folder.

Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip-screen-shot-2018-04-23-09.12.24.png

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip-screen-shot-2018-04-23-09.12.24.png  
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak View Post
Did you check your Applications folder? I guess you did not... (maybe your OS is Windows though)

VMR Uninstall command exists in the: Applications>Slate Digital>Virtual Mix Rack folder.

Cheers!
This isn't quite enough unfortunately, as those of us who have contacted support about our Studio One troubles have found out. See @RedKite's post: Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Love the update . No problems for me on S1 V3 so far.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

What I like about this thing is those quick select preset buttons. It’s a small idea, but sometimes it’s the little things that can have the biggest impact on our workflow.

It’s a great idea. I want to see more devs implement an idea like that.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak View Post

Cheers!
Did you read my post attentively, especially the part where I said I watched the instructional video which was posted here on how to uninstall VMR? I guess not.

Because if you had, and had perhaps watched the video too, you would have known that I indeed knew about the uninstall command and used it as per the video's instructions.

However, an uninstall command isn't the same as an uninstaller, which takes care of getting rid of not just the plugin, but also the related files and folders. And if it's an especially nice one, it even asks you if you want to keep your presets folder. I have come across uninstallers which do that.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

It takes veeery long to load VMR 2 on my system. I mean at least 2 minutes.. Shouldn't it be like a second?
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head
Yep, should be quicker than version 1. It is here, and I just updated.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrayeph View Post
Did you read my post attentively, especially the part where I said I watched the instructional video which was posted here on how to uninstall VMR? I guess not.

Because if you had, and had perhaps watched the video too, you would have known that I indeed knew about the uninstall command and used it as per the video's instructions.

However, an uninstall command isn't the same as an uninstaller, which takes care of getting rid of not just the plugin, but also the related files and folders. And if it's an especially nice one, it even asks you if you want to keep your presets folder. I have come across uninstallers which do that.
1.You wrote that there is no uninstaller in VMR which is false and that's why i replied to you, quoted your words.
2. Uninstall command works like a charm for me (and may other users) when i wanted to remove VMR from my system and it is done by the terminal instead of a fancy app with a UI that's called "uninstaller" as you describe.

Please get in touch with the support team if you still have issues using the uninstall command or any other issues to report. Thank you!

Cheers!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Love the update . No problems for me on S1 V3 so far.
Are you running S1 on Mac or Win?

Never mind I just saw on another thread that you're on Mac.

Last edited by MarsBot; 23rd April 2018 at 06:46 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search