The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
You’ve got the same problem as me then.
Sounds like it might be a S1 issue.
I’ll dig out the video link that support sent me with instructions to revert to the old version of VMR.
Thanks, much appreciated. I contacted support too.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru
I'm surprised this didn't come with a sale to drive new users. Any free update welcome here!
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
This is ridiculous.

Removing the noise (or making it an option) should have been released as VMR 1.0.0.1 on November 31, 2014, two weeks after VMR's initial launch. THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

This is an incremental update that should have been touted as such in a simple e-mail blast or a Facebook post. "Hey guys, Steven Slate here. There's a small update to VMR in your user area, getting rid of the noise that you guys have been asking for. Also, Trimmer is black now. Modules are still not available outside the rack, obviously. No way we can figure that out. Also, while adding a "list view" to the module browser, you will still need to scroll to get to the bottom of it, because we couldn't find the 'Reduce font size' button. But wait until you see what we've done with the preset section! You'll swear you are 'dreaming'!"

VERSION 2.0! Wowzers!

I initially thought Slate was just a hype machine, but then I bought into it completely, and now I'm back where I started. You're just like everything else on the internet these days. "You'll never guess what Slate's done in VMR 2.0! THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. Click to learn more!" Spare me.
Gotta say I agree. Receive email... "VMR 2.0 is out and its revolutionary!"... star of the show turns out to be a strip with shortcuts to presets.

While I appreciate the update, this is just meh. At least it looks nicer IMHO.
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
I'm surprised this didn't come with a sale to drive new users. Any free update welcome here!
Yup.
Old 20th April 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateprotoculture View Post
Gotta say I agree. Receive email... "VMR 2.0 is out and its revolutionary!"... star of the show turns out to be a strip with shortcuts to presets.

While I appreciate the update, this is just meh. At least it looks nicer IMHO.
Thanks so much for the feedback! It's great to hear all opinions!

However, with some time I think you'll learn to appreciate what the admittedly simple Dream Strip feature can offer you in terms of workflow. Check out my mixing video to see it in action... it switches the mindset from loading a plugin rack that requires populating to instantly loading 'go-to' channelstrips so that you can mix faster and more intuitively:

As for the other updates, these were certainly not trivial on our side and many of them have been in demand for quite some time! Oversampling, undo/redo, trash, all new browser, removing noise, faster load times, hundred new presets, etc.

But the good news is that whether you like the updates or not, your wallet probably likes them!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the comments! We'll continue to keep listening and working hard to make great stuff for you. Have fun!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

Well, mine installed with no issues; no mixes were affected, everything normal (was worried before updating after reading through these posts and seen a few people had mixes affected)

I've never had a problem with noise with the two eq units, but maybe I just wasn't hearing it? (I rarely use them for big boosts anyways, usually just subtle, a db or two)

The old wood look was kind of cool, but it does look more sleek now, and the new black Trimmer is nice, unnecessary but cool.

I'll probably still start fresh everytime I open the VMR, so the "Clear Rack" with one button is nice. (although I'll definitely be trying the new Dreamracks as well)

To be able to use the modules outside of VMR would be nice, but it's not difficult to work around at all, so I don't understand all the hate. The Everything Bundle is simply great, if and when I can shell out the $2,000, I'd simply buy it.

Nice work, Steven, I'm a big fan. I also own the VMC, killer mic.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by terje_t View Post
Thanks, much appreciated. I contacted support too.
Here's the video on uninstalling VMR 2.0 on Mac:
How To Uninstall Virtual Mix Rack (MAC) – Slate Digital

A bit of fiddling but it's fairly straightforward. Worked for me.

Here's the link to the installer for the old version
http://download.slatedigital.com/vmr/VMR_1931_Mac.zip

So now I'm back on the old VMR.

Once I've finished the project I'm on I'm going to do a diagnostic and see how bad the problem is. Paul at support said they hadn't come across it before.

I'll re-install 2.0, then start a new project with it. Save and quit, re-open and see if it remembers my settings or wipes them and replaces them with the defaults.
Old 20th April 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

I welcome all additions. Good job on the oversampling side! I wouldn't mind an even higher setting available (for render but even for realtime if one has the horsepower).

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear
I liked the update, I've already created some useful (well, for me) "Dream Strips" *but* I have a huge problem. I probably should have waited a few days before updating, especially being in the middle of some projects, but the new features were too tempting.

Anyway here's my issue. With Pro Tools 2018 and Logic X 10.4.1 everything seems fine, but in Logic, *only* if I open some previous project full of VMRs, every Vu Meters is lagging badly (in VMR modules as well as in compressors), as if they were half-second late... Pro Tools doesn't show this behavior - both in new project and old ones - and I have no problem in newly created Logic projects.

Is anybody experimenting the same issue?

It's not the end of the world, I mean, we are mixing engineer and we should be able to mix using our *ears* but still... it's kind of annoying.

I'm on Mac OS 10.12.6 BTW.

cheers,
Lox
Old 21st April 2018
We should support and encourage developers that want to make their products better. Thanks Slate!
In general, GS could be a much friendlier place Be positive people.
Old 21st April 2018
I liked the VMR concept all along, and the update works fine for me and I appreciate the new features. Thanks for the free update, Steven!
My thoughts about what would make it even better:
- The ability to load VCC set to "Group 1" instead of no group. If you load a lot of VMRs and you have VCC in the default Dream Strip it is always set to no group. Imagine you want to e.g. use the Brit N console across the entire mix instead of 4K E... have to switch every single VMR instance manually. If it loads already preset on Group 1, it is very easy.
- I would love some kind of "input module" in the sense of an expanded Trim: Give it additionally to gain knob and phase switch a gate and hi and low pass filters - perfect.
- Could we still have the low pass filter on the FG-S, pretty pretty pleeeaaaase...?
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Personally, I think the update is fine. The frustration stems from Slate himself with the social media posts (better keep your studios on people) and the strutting out like Steve Jobs in those dadgum videos (somebody get that man a mock turtleneck ). It leads to expectations. I like Slate. Bought a ton of his stuff. Also think he’s squandered whatever lead he had.
Umm...I disagree. I think Steven is a brilliant guy, and having met him personally (and getting a guided tour of Slate HQ that he conducted), I find him very affable, interested in what others think, and his enthusiasm for what he does is infectious.
He is always thinking ten steps ahead of everyone else. That's what pissed people off about Jobs.

VMR 2.0 isn't gonna change the world, but it brings some needed improvements, and frankly I like the all-black look better.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Steven, congrats on the update, oversampling is a biggie, but I’m gonna be that guy: when is FG-X 2 due? I believe it was promised for the summer of 2015? I can’t be the only one longing for a proper Slate limiter with ISP capabilities and accurate metering. Come on, give us something...

PS: do not say “soon”!
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Head

I'm of two minds on this.

The update seems fine enough. Oversampling, losing the noise...

I particularly appreciate idea that the Slate crew is working on improving something thats not a brand new product.

I wish we could get more tape formulas / machines for VTM, more badass sample packs for trigger, i know alot of folks really want the fgx update, the filters on the VMR eq's are still sorely missing, i would love more VCC consoles...

But the the bummer is that this release reminds me of what I thought the VMR concept was going to be VS what it actually is.

I thought that the new modules would be affordable updates that they would churn out every so often for $75-150 and I would demo or buy according to what worked for me. In reality most of the cool stuff is basically the same as the cost of the VMR at the beginning. Which in all fairness was a good value product, 2 eqs, 2 compressors...

But the only way to view this product as a decent value and get all the cool new shiny stuff now is to rent, and I'm just not into renting plugins. Maybe if they did the rent to own kind of thing.

As it stands I am a fan of the vision and often the sonics of Slate stuff but am super let down at the perpetual license pricing. This update just reminds me of that, and the lack of filters on the eq's.

Last edited by manicompression; 21st April 2018 at 05:22 AM..
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Guru
I agree completely with the VCC default to 1. Makes no sense not to. Switching on the console is a big deal and having to do each channel is a pain. Used to be able to.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
Totally agree. This is BY MAXIMUM a 1.5 update
Srsly what does it matter if it’s 1.5, 2.0 or 11.0?
It’s a fricken number and a free update.
It’s not like Cubase where major updates cost money.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

I liked VMR concept from start.

All i ever wanted from Slate Digital was

- Oversampling in VMR - YESS
- VTM reworked with less delay and more tape formulas

So this update for me is all i ever wanted and everything else is a bonus.

I think noone can deny that they literally worked on workflow in VMR.

Undo,Redo, chain presets at the top (dreamstrips).

And it's free update. Yes!!

offtopic: in all their videos i am seeing VMR in high resolution. Yet on my screen it is not. Is there a way for me to enlarge interface - am i missing something?
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicompression View Post
I particularly appreciate idea that the Slate crew is working on improving something thats not a brand new product.

I wish we could get more tape formulas / machines for VTM, more badass sample packs for trigger, i know alot of folks really want the fgx update, the filters on the VMR eq's are still sorely missing, i would love more VCC consoles...
I agree regarding VTM! The GUI might benefit of a facelift too!
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

I’m by no means a Slate fanboi. I have a few gripes with some of the software.

But wowzers - reading some of these comments... not only did he pi55 in your cornflakes, he took a dump in them too.

Some of these comments have me shaking my head so much, I think I need a neck brace.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post

But wowzers - reading some of these comments... not only did he pi55 in your cornflakes, he took a dump in them too.

Some of these comments have me shaking my head so much, I think I need a neck brace.
If there's one thing that everybody on this forum could learn from Slate it's how to take criticism and not react badly. I think most people would lose their minds doing his job

Last edited by theillusionist; 21st April 2018 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: wasn't clear
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

FG-116 sounds MUCH nicer with oversampling on.

Now, to make VMR a true Dream Strip, please add the gate module!
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Another offtopic and i honestly apologize for not following Slate threads - did Steven ever said something about adding hi filter on his ssl eq vmr plugin? I am aware of Aireq filter but Air filter takes one slot in rack.

Having normal hi filter on ssl eq itself like any other ssl eq have would be another dream. I can not recall what was the reason fir leaving hi filter in ssl anyway?

P.s. love VMR 2.0 being available straight out of the blue. No waiting time,no hypers etc.

Loving that for a change.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
Another offtopic and i honestly apologize for not following Slate threads - did Steven ever said something about adding hi filter on his ssl eq vmr plugin? I am aware of Aireq filter but Air filter takes one slot in rack.

Having normal hi filter on ssl eq itself like any other ssl eq have would be another dream. I can not recall what was the reason fir leaving hi filter in ssl anyway?
I also would like to have it.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Head

+1 for the Gate module. That would have to be there in any actual Dreamstrip.

Even just a simple model of the SSL desk gate.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

Very intrigued about the oversampling. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet as I'm out of town but how are people finding it on 48kHz sessions? Sometimes oversampling can actually sound worse depending on the situation. Did VMR use to oversample automatically or is this an entirely new feature? Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by The Warmth; 21st April 2018 at 02:57 PM..
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
. Did VMR use to oversample automatically or is this an entirely new feature? Can't wait to try it out.
It is entirely new feature. Not available until now in v2.0
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Umm...I disagree. I think Steven is a brilliant guy, and having met him personally (and getting a guided tour of Slate HQ that he conducted), I find him very affable, interested in what others think, and his enthusiasm for what he does is infectious.
He is always thinking ten steps ahead of everyone else. That's what pissed people off about Jobs.

VMR 2.0 isn't gonna change the world, but it brings some needed improvements, and frankly I like the all-black look better.
Agreed. The audio world is a better place with him in it.

There is a time/place for hyperbole.

And one more thing...OVERSAMPLING...

I say with love.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It’s so predictable when slate releases anything... an update a new product... doesn’t matter.. the level of vitriol from the peanut gallery always reveals more about them than it does slate

It’s an incremental update with a few new features... that’s cool. What were the haters expecting? A new gizmo that would instantly transform your edm / basque / bluegrass hybrid an instant hit record?
I agree that vitriol reveals more about its propagator than its purported target. And this is true of genre-based vitriol too.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post

Agreed....

I’ve always thought of vmr as a digital 500 series lunchbox, and as such a pretty unique idea.

As mentioned often, I’m sure, I’d like to see:

Phase button (maybe just a tiny little button up near the top of the GUI) and next to it two little gain knobs, one controlling input stage and another controlling final output. The gain knobs would be cherries on top as I’m not scared to put my daw’s own trim plugin before and after the vmr

I watched steven’s Version 2 video and I get the criticism about the dreamstrip idea, BUT... I was definitely one harping on Steven to develop new presets based on the newer modules, so in the end I think it’s cool... particularly for newer engineers.

The stand alone module thing would be cool at this point only to keep all of the peanut gallery flaming out of slate threads... I understand some daws only have a finite number of plugin slots per track, but, Jesus, what sort of trash are users processing that they need more than four plugins on a single track? Obviously, this is a new age problem...
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillusionist View Post
If there's one thing that everybody on this forum could learn from Slate it's how to take criticism and not react badly. I think most people would lose their minds doing his job
I submit to the court:

Sknote

The people rests its case, your honor
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search