The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Releases VMR 2.0: The Modular Channel Strip Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau777 View Post
For ILOK problems. After installing the latest ILOK Manager, synchronize your ILOK again. Worked for me.
You should be paid by Slate for your support Solved it for me.

So before running into problems, it seems to be better to:
1. Installing of the latest iLok update (the license manager has this option "check for application updates").
2. in the License Manager, select iLok2 and in the "view" menu use "Synchronize
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
It is amazing that they still have not readed the VSTSDK programmers manual, not even since it has been pointed out wish lines they should read. This
version 2.0.3.4 is still not compatible with cubase and VST3. They must be dumb or something.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Haha, what a bloat ware this is!
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
I would recommend waiting to see if this problem gets sorted before updating, as this has cost me hours and hours of work, and I won't know if it will get fixed until I get my support ticket answered.

Disaster.
Absolutely horrible. Hopefully they can get things sorted out for you asap.

I think I might hold off on updating this weekend, and maybe until some of you guys report back with better news. I can't risk any down time over an update that seems decent but doesn't really add anything to the VMR experience that I personally care about.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Nut

I’m usually always excited about updates, but I just feel the GUI has become a less inspiring enviroment since this update, it feels cluttered and less stright forward and less vibey. Maybe its just me...
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that the folks are having problems! Seemed to be working quite well here with Logic Pro X.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

For those of us who are going to stay on VMR1, I wonder if future modules will only work in VMR2...
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Monarch View Post
For those of us who are going to stay on VMR1, I wonder if future modules will only work in VMR2...
Of course, and for good reasons too, and also unfortunate for bad reasons. This release is about advertisement not about solving the technical problems that they have.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
This is ridiculous.

Removing the noise (or making it an option) should have been released as VMR 1.0.0.1 on November 31, 2014, two weeks after VMR's initial launch. THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

This is an incremental update that should have been touted as such in a simple e-mail blast or a Facebook post. "Hey guys, Steven Slate here. There's a small update to VMR in your user area, getting rid of the noise that you guys have been asking for. Also, Trimmer is black now. Modules are still not available outside the rack, obviously. No way we can figure that out. Also, while adding a "list view" to the module browser, you will still need to scroll to get to the bottom of it, because we couldn't find the 'Reduce font size' button. But wait until you see what we've done with the preset section! You'll swear you are 'dreaming'!"

VERSION 2.0! Wowzers!

I initially thought Slate was just a hype machine, but then I bought into it completely, and now I'm back where I started. You're just like everything else on the internet these days. "You'll never guess what Slate's done in VMR 2.0! THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. Click to learn more!" Spare me.
Totally agree. This is BY MAXIMUM a 1.5 update
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Got it working! I want to give a shout-out to Paul Hessing who responded to my ticket yesterday with a workflow that did the trick. I want to leave it here as well for those who also have iLok issues:

"Before starting your DAW, open the iLok License Manager and make sure it is up-to-date. Select the Everything Bundle Pro license, right click, and choose Deactivate. Right click on the license again and choose Activate.

Next, right click on your iLok dongle, listed in the left column, and choose Synchronize.

Wait for the operation to complete, and then launch your DAW."

Give it a shot and hopefully this does the trick for you guys .
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok so appreciate the update... but as someone that purchased most of the plugin pre subscription. **human error

Hell ya oversampling option!
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Not for me. I've had a nightmare this morning. I updated to VMR 2.0, and now my mix in Studio One which I was working on all day yesterday is broken.

When I open the project from the save file I created yesterday, all of the instances of VMR in the project have reset to the new default Dreamstrip. So all the mixing I did in VMR 1.0 yesterday is gone. I can't recover it.
I'm sure it's still there somewhere, because I haven't altered the saved file. But VMR 2.0 is ignoring my saved VMR 1.0 settings and loading its own defaults instead.

I have a deadline and don't have time to wait for Slate support to come online in LA, so I remixed the song from memory this morning, which took a couple of hours.

I've re-opened the file again this afternoon, and the VMRs have all reset themselves again.

I would recommend waiting to see if this problem gets sorted before updating, as this has cost me hours and hours of work, and I won't know if it will get fixed until I get my support ticket answered.

Disaster.
So Paul at Slate Support got straight on the case with this - I can't fault the speed with which he got back to me. Looks like he was at his desk at 7am LA time - I hope the Slate office gives out decent bacon sandwiches at that time in the morning, because he deserves one.

The solution was just to uninstall and revert to the previous version. It's a 5 min process, I had to run the uninstaller and delete a few folders. The Slate Support system was good and provided a video guide to the process which was helpful.
That fixed the issue and I got my old mix back.

Obviously now I'm not keen on reinstalling 2.0 for a while. I can't risk going back to older mixes and finding them broken. I'll see if anyone else has this issue over the next week or so.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
This is ridiculous.

Removing the noise (or making it an option) should have been released as VMR 1.0.0.1 on November 31, 2014, two weeks after VMR's initial launch. THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

This is an incremental update that should have been touted as such in a simple e-mail blast or a Facebook post. "Hey guys, Steven Slate here. There's a small update to VMR in your user area, getting rid of the noise that you guys have been asking for. Also, Trimmer is black now. Modules are still not available outside the rack, obviously. No way we can figure that out. Also, while adding a "list view" to the module browser, you will still need to scroll to get to the bottom of it, because we couldn't find the 'Reduce font size' button. But wait until you see what we've done with the preset section! You'll swear you are 'dreaming'!"

VERSION 2.0! Wowzers!

I initially thought Slate was just a hype machine, but then I bought into it completely, and now I'm back where I started. You're just like everything else on the internet these days. "You'll never guess what Slate's done in VMR 2.0! THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. Click to learn more!" Spare me.
Actually, to be honest, Slate Digital uses Propellerhead sale technique. For a simple request he will not listen to you, you will beg for it and when a small change comes up you will get a fancy video like Propellerhead. When your request is heard after like 15 years like Propllerhead VST it just to say you see we are listening. Please.....And on the video he will come up and say we are listening. Slate Lovers will start cherishing and you will move on.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
And before it gets nasty.
Thanks Stephen....If nothing else your passion and enthusiasm always inspires me.
rsp
Ditto.

I see a lot of people that dis Steven Slate, or his company or products, but it seems it is possible that many are just jealous that he has the passion and drive to achieve what he dreams of, and put together a team to help him do it.

If for no other reason, I applaud Steven & Crew simply for having the audacity to get out there and "git 'er done".
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
While I think the "Dreamstrips" concept is incredibly underwhelming, I don't get the rest of the bashing. Version numbers are a fairly arbitrary concept. Developers can, and do, decide the version number based on whatever criteria they want. So discussion as to whether this is a 1.5 release or a 2.0 release feels a bit overblown IMO. I totally get the frustration about the feature set, but people wanted the noise gone, and now it is. It took a long time, sure, but for that reason alone this version is already better than what you had yesterday (assuming you prefer the noise off). Same with the oversampling. Who was expecting that feature? I thought Slate was so anti-latency we'd never see oversampling in VMR, but I'm glad to have it. Would it be better if there was a setting to turn it on at render? Sure. Am I happy with what we have here? Very.

There's still a lot of stuff I don't like about VMR, particularly the rack itself, but c'mon, this is an objectively better version of VMR than the one I had two days ago. A few of the posts I've read about this update seem a bit angry, when the product was improved. Maybe not as much as many of us would have wanted. But still, improved.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Ok so appreciate the update... but as someone that purchased most of the plugin pre subscription. Its a drag having plugins on my drive/visible that I'm never going to buy and no I wont sub. These all or nothing installers smh.

Hell ya oversampling option!
Unlike a few other companies like UAD, ik MultiMedia, you are aware than you can do custom installation with the VMR installer?

You can select which modules, which presets and which plugin formats you want to install on both mac and pc.
very grateful for this.
rsp
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Was excited to see this update...

Then I watched the video and thought it was very underwhelming. Pity, opportunity missed.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Cool

I‘ll buy it when I can display these modules in my DAW rack (one per slot). VST
API 4.0 Extensions I guess.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Nice update, working in Cubase for me.
Have to shake my head every time I hear this complaint.

Gee, I wonder what the R in VMR stands for?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

By just adding oversampling I think he could call it version 10 or whatever he wants. It’s a real big deal in my book. I just re-rendered my whole record and it sounds noticeably better.
Old 20th April 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Guys thanks so much for the comments! We are very happy with the response and hope everyone is loving the new features. Many of these features have taken a long time to properly code. Something that seems simple and trivial like undo can take many months to create due to the complexity of our code ecosystem.

So far the stability reports seem very good, but there have been some reports of issues and we are working hard to take care of them fast.

If you’re having problems, please contact support at slatesupport.com

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Thanks Steve

Really hoped Trimmer would go bye bye. Every module needs a gain stage.

This should be an incremental update...2.0?
This! Especially for analogue vibe EQ models, which lend themselves to significant level boosts.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Nice update, working in Cubase for me.
Are you able to open older projects without issue? Is everything as it was in your VMR ver 1 mix?

There have been some reports of ver 2 overriding settings from ver 1 mixes...
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

It’s so predictable when slate releases anything... an update a new product... doesn’t matter.. the level of vitriol from the peanut gallery always reveals more about them than it does slate

It’s an incremental update with a few new features... that’s cool. What were the haters expecting? A new gizmo that would instantly transform your edm / basque / bluegrass hybrid an instant hit record?
Old 20th April 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
This! Especially for analogue vibe EQ models, which lend themselves to significant level boosts.
Hi! I believe the only modules that do not have output trim are FG-S, FG-N, and revival. I’ll work with our team to update them with trim ( it’ll take some crafty graphic work), and I will always ensure that all modules have trims! Thanks!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Not for me. I've had a nightmare this morning. I updated to VMR 2.0, and now my mix in Studio One which I was working on all day yesterday is broken.

When I open the project from the save file I created yesterday, all of the instances of VMR in the project have reset to the new default Dreamstrip. So all the mixing I did in VMR 1.0 yesterday is gone. I can't recover it.
I'm sure it's still there somewhere, because I haven't altered the saved file. But VMR 2.0 is ignoring my saved VMR 1.0 settings and loading its own defaults instead.

I have a deadline and don't have time to wait for Slate support to come online in LA, so I remixed the song from memory this morning, which took a couple of hours.

I've re-opened the file again this afternoon, and the VMRs have all reset themselves again.

Disaster.
Edited, see below

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a similar issue when I first opened a project using a lot of VMR here so I thought I'd offer my solution on the off chance it might help you too:

My issue was that I had quite a few tracks in my project that I hadn't dealt with in my mix yet. These each have a VMR with the default strip on them.

Before the update, my default strip was just a VCC with some specific settings and group 1. After the update, VMR loaded the new default "Classic Strip" for all these channels instead. I noticed when my project didn't even play properly because my processor was overloaded.

The solution for me was to create a new default dream strip, just like my default strip was before. I didn't save my project, just that new default setting. Then I quit my DAW (Studio One) and restarted it, and I was back to my usual setup on all those channels. .

Seems like the better way to handle this would have been to preserve the default strip from before the update if you had set one.

Aside from that, happy with the update so thanks, Slate!

EDIT: Oops, I spoke too soon. Channels with VMRs that I have edited have also been affected and have been reset to my default dream strip. Not all of them but some. Might this be a problem only affecting Studio One users, Steven?
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
I’m usually always excited about updates, but I just feel the GUI has become a less inspiring enviroment since this update, it feels cluttered and less stright forward and less vibey. Maybe its just me...
I agree. Looks unprofessional. Like some old free plugins. Everything is too dark.
Are those two old wooden panels painted black now?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Personally, I think the update is fine. The frustration stems from Slate himself with the social media posts (better keep your studios on people) and the strutting out like Steve Jobs in those dadgum videos (somebody get that man a mock turtleneck ). It leads to expectations. I like Slate. Bought a ton of his stuff. Also think he’s squandered whatever lead he had.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi! I believe the only modules that do not have output trim are FG-S, FG-N, and revival. I’ll work with our team to update them with trim ( it’ll take some crafty graphic work), and I will always ensure that all modules have trims! Thanks!

Cheers,
Steven
That would be awesome.

With both those modules, it's so easy (and tempting) to do less-than-subtle boosts (especially after watching the first CLA series), only to realise that you've effectively turned a track up 3dB!

Any trim adjust knob could be pretty discrete - way back when they were first released, a fellow Gearslut suggested that the bottom right-hand screw-head was in the perfect position, and not far off being the right size, to be turned into a trim-adjust knob.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by terje_t View Post
Edited, see below

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a similar issue when I first opened a project using a lot of VMR here so I thought I'd offer my solution on the off chance it might help you too:

My issue was that I had quite a few tracks in my project that I hadn't dealt with in my mix yet. These each have a VMR with the default strip on them.

Before the update, my default strip was just a VCC with some specific settings and group 1. After the update, VMR loaded the new default "Classic Strip" for all these channels instead. I noticed when my project didn't even play properly because my processor was overloaded.

The solution for me was to create a new default dream strip, just like my default strip was before. I didn't save my project, just that new default setting. Then I quit my DAW (Studio One) and restarted it, and I was back to my usual setup on all those channels. .

Seems like the better way to handle this would have been to preserve the default strip from before the update if you had set one.

Aside from that, happy with the update so thanks, Slate!

EDIT: Oops, I spoke too soon. Channels with VMRs that I have edited have also been affected and have been reset to my default dream strip. Not all of them but some. Might this be a problem only affecting Studio One users, Steven?
You’ve got the same problem as me then.
Sounds like it might be a S1 issue.
I’ll dig out the video link that support sent me with instructions to revert to the old version of VMR.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search