The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 20th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I've been wanting them to have a full EQP-1 for some time now.
Can't believe I just discovered it today, just by going through their website. I totally missed the release announcement.
Thanks for sharing, I am going to try it very very soon.
I can’t believe you missed it I was on your instagram page and saw you like their SC-5 and Magnetite a lot.

At this price VEQ-P1 is a true bargin

Thank to SPICE, BRA nailed every aspect of the hardware. It’s not just curves, it’s “components” that in there (aka box tone)
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
I can’t believe you missed it I was on your instagram page and saw you like their SC-5 and Magnetite a lot.

At this price VEQ-P1 is a true bargin

Thank to SPICE, BRA nailed every aspect of the hardware. It’s not just curves, it’s “components” that in there (aka box tone)
Yeah so weird, it was release around April, I think I was on tour or spending 2 weeks in a studio for album production. That's maybe why haha.

Anyway, happy to just discovered it when it's so cheap, downloading the trial and will report back my feeling about (will compare it quickly to Waves and legacy UAD, even if I know that hardware modeled were different and blah blah blah )
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

First impressions :

Trying it against Waves and UAD Legacy. Without level matching it sounds good. It has "something" happening in the low/low-mid, even without using the EQ that I wish I could sometime EQ out but no biggy.
It sound better to me than the Waves. And UAD too.

When level matched it's far less impressive and I am pretty underwhelmed by it.... I'll maybe post files for you to see, I tried on mixbus and vocal. Unfortunately I can't think of any vocal I have the right to publish as test right now :/.

EDIT : I've managed to find an instrumental version of a basic track I did for TV.

Here are the settings (on mixbus so) :

2db boost 20hz. 1 attenuation

4db boost at 12khz (4 bandwidth). Attenuation at 1 at 20khz

Level matched with TB Audio Pro AB_LM

UAD Legacy, Black Rooster and Waves are compared here.

I know they are emulating different but units that could maybe give you an idea.

I first believe the hype here, then level matching I am not as impressed as I hoped.
Maybe my ears are tired.
Anyway I tried it on a bass, in a mix, without comparing to anything and I really really enjoyed it a lot so far. Simple move that were enough for the bass to sits well (adding the SC-5 black after for control).

You can try to guess, the goal of this thread is not to do a blindtest so I'll give the information very quickly at the first answer (trying to guess) I see at this post.
Attached Files

A pultec.wav (2.70 MB, 1169 views)

C pultec.wav (2.70 MB, 1150 views)

B pultec.wav (2.70 MB, 1177 views)

Old 21st November 2018
Gear Maniac

Hey, Black Friday 2018 is on. Grab your licenses at 70% discount on the regular price for every plugin (AAX/VST/AU) => Voucher: 2018BLACKFRIDAY.

What's blacker than black? #blackroosteraudio
Old 21st November 2018
Quote:
Here are the settings (on mixbus so) :

2db boost 20hz. 1 attenuation

4db boost at 12khz (4 bandwidth). Attenuation at 1 at 20khz
ll (adding the SC-5 black after for control).

You can try to guess, the goal of this thread is not to do a blindtest so I'll give the information very quickly at the first answer (trying to guess) I see at this post.
I think it not a db what number actually telling you. But it's there for recall purpose. And real db number would be drastically different by using a different variable resistor.

From your files, I clearly hear that A is most aggressive (boosting more then others) - low boost has wider Q, it touches snare body frequency, and highs are really exaggerated.

C is the most polite version of Pultec. And B is in-between.

I don't have any experience with Waves version. I don't know if they emulated any non-linearity or just try to give curves
So, I think B is UAD. A is Black Rooster.
And C is waves.

As I remember correctly UAD Legacy version has no harmonic non-linearity. And it has 1.4-1.8 db boost to signal. It's just really good digital EQ at 4x oversampling.

I like blind tests and would like to be mistaken (cause from mistakes we learn and blah blah blah)

P.S. double check, after listening second times - B and C is pretty damn close (in B I like midrange better) and A is most different (and from this extra high boost it sounds like it has more coloration to signal, more excitement). would like to know the answer
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it not a db what number actually telling you. But it's there for recall purpose. And real db number would be drastically different by using a different variable resistor.

From your files, I clearly hear that A is most aggressive (boosting more then others) - low boost has wider Q, it touches snare body frequency, and highs are really exaggerated.

C is the most polite version of Pultec. And B is in-between.

I don't have any experience with Waves version. I don't know if they emulated any non-linearity or just try to give curves
So, I think B is UAD. A is Black Rooster.
And C is waves.

As I remember correctly UAD Legacy version has no harmonic non-linearity. And it has 1.4-1.8 db boost to signal. It's just really good digital EQ at 4x oversampling.

I like blind tests and would like to be mistaken (cause from mistakes we learn and blah blah blah)

P.S. double check, after listening second times - B and C is pretty damn close (in B I like midrange better) and A is most different (and from this extra high boost it sounds like it has more coloration to signal, more excitement). would like to know the answer
Hey bud thanks for your answer.

You are totally right, dbs/numbers mean nothing. Especially with Pultec.
But I just share this to give an information on what to listen to (where I boosted and attenuated). Just in case someone would ask. We are on gearslutz you need to be prepared haha .

Anyway I tried to match A with the others but it wasn't as easy, even when boosting less. Because I felt the same way as you.

Yes indeed UAD Legacy boost the volume by default. Hence the fact I level matched with TB Audio Pro AB_LM. This tool is invaluable for those kind of stuff (I also sometimes love it to check mixbus experimentation).

So the answers are :

A - BRA
B - Waves
C - UAD Legacy

You got it pretty much right haha.

What do you think of those results ? =).

Regarding the fact that UAD legacy is free for anyone who got an UAD product. Waves is basically always at 29$ if you are patient enough (Waves do sales all the freaking time). And BRA is 27$ right now but will be 89 in the near future.

I will listen back to this blindtest today with fresh ears. I didn't do any audio work today.
Old 21st November 2018
Quote:
Hey bud thanks for your answer.

So the answers are :

A - BRA
B - Waves
C - UAD Legacy

You got it pretty much right haha.

What do you think of those results ? =).
I am proud of myself Results are awesome!

I load tracks in DAW and used Hofa Blindtest plugin (free version allow to test 3 track only btw), it has gain match feature as well. There's was not a drastic volume difference (some was 0.1 louder, some was 0.1 quiater), so I double gain-matched the files.

A is defenetly more different from Waves and UAD - SPICE is a really nice thing in digital signal processing.

UAD legacy stuff is old in terms of analog emulation. But the GUI was like a hardware, ain't no lie. With volume boost and stock EQ plugin I can pretty much phase-canceled it to -90db or so at 96 kHz

Waves Pultec is good, but also old. So, as I described B as in-between harmonically different A and flat-ish boring C, I can assume that Waves has a little bit more behind EQ curves. Which is nice.

In the end, Black Rooster Audio VEQ-1P has:
1 - box tone, because of SPICE
2 - oversampling, it leads to better phase decamping and smooth frequency response.
3 - doesn't fail with overall DSP design and code. Cause using SPICE doesn't mean that your plugin will sound awesome. There are some developers who using SPICE and failed at making plugin to sound awesome and operate smoothly. and there's DMG, Cytomic, Fuse Audio, BRA, Shattered Glass Audio, who using SPICE right.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am proud of myself Results are awesome!

I load tracks in DAW and used Hofa Blindtest plugin (free version allow to test 3 track only btw), it has gain match feature as well. There's was not a drastic volume difference (some was 0.1 louder, some was 0.1 quiater), so I double gain-matched the files.

A is defenetly more different from Waves and UAD - SPICE is a really nice thing in digital signal processing.

UAD legacy stuff is old in terms of analog emulation. But the GUI was like a hardware, ain't no lie. With volume boost and stock EQ plugin I can pretty much phase-canceled it to -90db or so at 96 kHz

Waves Pultec is good, but also old. So, as I described B as in-between harmonically different A and flat-ish boring C, I can assume that Waves has a little bit more behind EQ curves. Which is nice.

In the end, Black Rooster Audio VEQ-1P has:
1 - box tone, because of SPICE
2 - oversampling, it leads to better phase decamping and smooth frequency response.
3 - doesn't fail with overall DSP design and code. Cause using SPICE doesn't mean that your plugin will sound awesome. There are some developers who using SPICE and failed at making plugin to sound awesome and operate smoothly. and there's DMG, Cytomic, Fuse Audio, BRA, Shattered Glass Audio, who using SPICE right.
Ha didn't know about the free unlimited Hofa blindtest. Will use it for sure now !

Yep BRA sounds good but so different for the others one.

I unfortunately don't have the time to tweak and print a version with the Pultec at the studio :/.
But the low-mid it add is kind of unique.

Re-listening to it, it seems that transients handling is different on all of them tho.

P.S. : What's phase decamping ?
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
First impressions :

EDIT : I've managed to find an instrumental version of a basic track I did for TV.
If it isn't much trouble and of course otherwise possible, can I ask you to export the same excerpt without the plugin? It will be very helpful to me.

Thanks
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

I have found that the Low Boost curve has an exaggerated broad curve, reaching much higher than any Pultec I have heard or used (at all selections)... At the same time the Low Cut curve is carving out at a higher frequency than normal.
This make the low mids sound fuller than any other Pultec plugin... and also any Pultec (or clone) I have heard.

For regular Pultec duties, I use the Softube ones (mkI and mkII are a bit different - I usually prefer one on the snare and the other on kick - on the mixbus the mkII rules), the Nomad Factory, or the Waves one... All different (but closer to a real Pultec IMO).

I use the Black Rooster VEQ-1P on thinner sounding sources and tracks that lacks in the lower mids... In this regard it is great

So I think all have their place, regarding of needs and the task at hand... But don't let the exaggerated fullness impress you, or make you think it is better... It is just different

PS. All that said, I am a BR fan. I have most of their plugins... And like them very much
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

When I compared the VEQ-1P against my other Pultecs it was noticeably brighter at the same HF setting. So much so at first I wondered if this was right.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
When I compared the VEQ-1P against my other Pultecs it was noticeably brighter at the same HF setting. So much so at first I wondered if this was right.
It's almost as they have exaggerated the curves to impress...

But used with care on the right material, it is rather good sounding. But usually not my first choice in the traditional Pultec role.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
But usually not my first choice in the traditional Pultec role.
And your first choice is???
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have found that the Low Boost curve has an exaggerated broad curve, reaching much higher than any Pultec I have heard or used (at all selections)...
Hmm?

Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_low_boost.png
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_low_boost.png  
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Push them to reach the same level at the selected frequency... What do you see then?
More importantly, what do you hear?

PS. Remember that the numbering doesn't equal dB's... And also differ among the hardware of the same brand/model...
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
Hmm?

If you have a chance how does the 8k look?
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
If you have a chance how does the 8k look?
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_8k.png
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_8k.png  
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Push them to reach the same level at the selected frequency... What do you see then?
You mean "match" not "push" don't you?

As close as you can get to having them all go through 100Hz at about the same level:

Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_match.png
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_match.png  
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's almost as they have exaggerated the curves to impress...
Hmm?

Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-waves_bra.png
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-waves_bra.png  
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I also realised that the settings feel different to other plugs so when I was demoing, I used my ears to get the closest I could between this, the PSP and Waves Puigtec and I liked this the best. I liked the PSP a lot and was using it before but I thought this had a smoother high end and I love how it relaxes the mid range a bit. I use it a lot on vocals and it lives on my mix buss (instant bigness at mild settings). It has way more depth than the Waves. I always mix into it.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm?

Thanks...
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
You mean "match" not "push" don't you?

As close as you can get to having them all go through 100Hz at about the same level:

You wouldn’t happen to have Soneq Pro?
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
You wouldn’t happen to have Soneq Pro?
Ok, last one. Plus Acustica Magenta4. I would have done the 8Khz boost, but on the SonEQPro, high band's a shelf.

Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-another3_lows.png
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-another3_lows.png  
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear
I don’t see how Sweetwater left out BR when doing a Pultec hardware vs software group test.

Pultec Shootout – with Sound Samples | Sweetwater
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I don’t see how Sweetwater left out BR when doing a Pultec hardware vs software group test.

Pultec Shootout – with Sound Samples | Sweetwater
I took the liberty of doing that myself, along with AA Purple, DualTech (TimP Nebula), AA Ruby2 and my favourite from the HW (Pulse).

Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search