The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9d9 View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Insane boxtone running these three together. Good lord.
Level matched, I don't hear much of a difference with two mixes I just tested.

With your wording "Insane boxtone running these three together. Good lord" I reckon you hear a huge difference. Any chance you could provide two snippets showcasing this difference?
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Level matched, I don't hear much of a difference with two mixes I just tested.
Plugindoctor shows some harmonics with this plugin, next to nothing with the other two. Pretty sane.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Not to be that guy, because I do think BRA plugins are great...

But the 'insane boxtone' of those 3 stacked is mostly just filters from the oversampling.

I can null that stack to about -30db below peak with just sharp lpf and smooth hpf at the edges of the spectrum. If I had a way of better matching the filter curve I bet it would null significantly lower.

VHL has no saturation at all, it's just filters.

Both 1P & 5 have some nice 2nd & 3rd harmonics at about -48, -82 and -37, -64 respectively, but I think it's important to be clear about what you're getting in this plugin. It's all about the eq curves, topology of their routing & frequency placement, and the workflow you get from that setup. I happen to like these curves better than other Pultec plugs I've used, but it's far from a magic analog boxtone plugin.
Old 28th April 2018
I was only using my ears, haven't analyzed what is going on here. There is a noticeable difference, obvious added weight. It was an definite enhancement to the mix I was working on at the time. I'm in session thru the weekend but will try to find time to make some clips.

Insane may have been a strong word to use but was not expecting to hear as much of a difference as I heard just inserting them. And the VHL doesn't appear to be contributing to the sound like the 1p and 5 but like I said I haven't had a chance to analyze them yet.
Old 29th April 2018
I opened this mix again to give it another quick listen. I actually had the VHL rolling off 15k which explains why I heard something there . The combination of the 1p and 5 zeroed out is definitely making a significant difference though. Maybe not adding weight so much as clarity. The individual elements seem to be more in their own space. Of course I'm listening in a treated room as well.
Old 29th April 2018
To me, this "boxtone" is negligible when level matched, but as the BRA developer is agreeing with you, in that the difference is "Holy crap. So good." on his facebook page, it must be down to my hearing capabilities and/or monitoring situation. I am using BRA plugins in every mix I work on.
Old 30th April 2018
Hey there - just got on board with this eq - it's the first Pultec emulation I've used where I feel I'm getting the vibe of the hardware unit and what makes it great.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Addict

Bought! Stunning plugin...
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

This thing sounds incredible. I can finally retire waves puigtec.
Old 30th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
To me, this "boxtone" is negligible when level matched, but as the BRA developer is agreeing with you, in that the difference is "Holy crap. So good." on his facebook page, it must be down to my hearing capabilities and/or monitoring situation. I am using BRA plugins in every mix I work on.
All due respect but I'd say the difference in definitely not negligible.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting. The VEQ-1P can take a whole +30db above 0dBfs before saturating/clipping. Even with the EQ flat but engaged, the freq knob selections all have very tiny differences in phase shift. Switching the EQ out removes them... as expected.

The VEQ-5 has very similar saturation curves but about 50% less headroom.

I didn't check the VHL-3C, I'll happily assume it's a passive (linear) box like the original.

Most important for me here though is how powerful and clear those bendy curves sound. These three are gonna be getting heavy use from me.

Fantastic work BRA.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

This was the best Pultec plugin I've heard and I was just about to pull the trigger on it and then I had a last minute thought to demo the Acustica Purple P-1. VEQ-1P is excellent but to my ears Purple took it that extra 10% in realism. Now the question I have to answer is do I want to pay twice the price for an extra 10% realism that may well just get buried in the mix anyway?
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Head

I had Acustica but this one is better with cpu and sounds great...
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
I had Acustica but this one is better with cpu and sounds great...
Yes cpu use is a big consideration. Maybe I just get them both lol and use the VEQ-1P on mixes with bigger track counts and the Purple on mixes where there are less instruments and they are more exposed.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
This was the best Pultec plugin I've heard and I was just about to pull the trigger on it and then I had a last minute thought to demo the Acustica Purple P-1. VEQ-1P is excellent but to my ears Purple took it that extra 10% in realism. Now the question I have to answer is do I want to pay twice the price for an extra 10% realism that may well just get buried in the mix anyway?
No disrespect but I disagree - until purple gets updated with actual clipping engine at least. In terms of filters... it's close. Apples vs oranges close maybe.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

I prefer Purple too by a tiny margin. The EQ impacts the mix in a better way.

But Purple was a drag on my system. Lots of crashes. Don't know why, because I have a lot of others Acquas and all of them are pretty stable.

So I didn't purchase it. And now, with this BRA release, I really don't need it anymore.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

I decided to buy the VEQ-1P as I think it will make a better workhorse on my current system. I may well add the Purple in later down the line.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Man, this thing sounds great.

The Waves Puigtec has a certain vibe to it where it can sound a little tubby in the low mids, and it always sounds a bit cloudy on top to me. Now sometimes, that's cool.

But the BR VEQ-1P is on a different level to me. There's an open clarity on the top end that's very smooth, and the lows don't feel quite as undefined or pillowy. They're solid, but with a smooth--rather than punchy--character. I think I'm going to really dig this on acoustic music.

The new Pultec-style plugin in Logic actually sounds quite nice, too, enough so that I had to think about whether this one was worth it to me. But after a few minutes with this on the master bus, and then particularly with it on the lead vocal, it really won me over. I was able to boost the top end on the vocal at 12k, which I can almost never do in software and still look myself in the mirror.

I own most of the plugins by Black Rooster. They're a good company, in my experience. And this is a great sounding Pultec-style EQ.

Nice job, BR!
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

About AA I do prefer so much TimP´s one than Purple but VEQ-1P is sooooo close to TimP´s that now I can avoid loading several nebula instances.
Of course you could tell what is exactly the sonic difference between them and I could agree but workflow of one and another is something so different that I am very clear about it.

About workflow I am just missing the "direct clicking a value" feature I have posting about last days but BR guys never replied, not very nice...
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiuk View Post
About workflow I am just missing the "direct clicking a value" feature I have posting about last days but BR guys never replied, not very nice...
I agree, that would be a nice addition. I am sure Andre will reply soon, don't worry. He's only human like the rest of us. The fastest and surest way to get in touch with them is through their custommer support, you will be able to get an answer much faster than waiting for a reply here.

In the meantime, there is some kind of a workaround using a circular knob mode - not exactly what you asked for but close enough. After you change the knob mode preference you have to click on a number and move cursor a little. It's not perfect, but you can try it out.

Cheers
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
I agree, that would be a nice addition. I am sure Andre will reply soon, don't worry. He's only human like the rest of us. The fastest and surest way to get in touch with them is through their custommer support, you will be able to get an answer much faster than waiting for a reply here.

In the meantime, there is some kind of a workaround using a circular knob mode - not exactly what you asked for but close enough. After you change the knob mode preference you have to click on a number and move cursor a little. It's not perfect, but you can try it out.

Cheers
Thanks, Lesha, I didn´t know that obscure way, hehe. I tried now and it is good, while it is true that it is not the perfect one.

I hope they reply, I contacted here and through messenger no reply. Anyway they replied in FB messenger, but it was a word meaningless not regarding to it, I asked again but no more contact
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiuk View Post
About AA I do prefer so much TimP´s one than Purple but VEQ-1P is sooooo close to TimP´s that now I can avoid loading several nebula instances.
Of course you could tell what is exactly the sonic difference between them and I could agree but workflow of one and another is something so different that I am very clear about it.

As I mentioned in our fb conversation: There would be theoretical limitations to that behavior, as different DAWs and our plugins provide different knob modes, from circular to vertical and whatnot. So this would be a non-standardized behaviour to one specific knob mode. In terms of user experience, in my eyes, it is really necessary to have a straight, easy to learn standard, when it comes to knob handling. Having knobs, that allow 5-10 different (hidden or non-obvious) options for adjustment will not only be more code, more event handlers (CPU) and more documentation, but more confusion and will not automatically lead to a better customer satisfaction --> It is also, that we see our plugins "usable" and we are trying to focus on stability and sound, because those are more crucial for the every-day work. So please don't get me wrong, we hear you, but the request doesn't perfectly fit into our list of important enhancements to our existing tools.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head

just got this and love it!
on the drum bus and acoustic guitars, it has added lovely lovely top end which cuts through the mix.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I love black rooster audio! Everything they make is quality! Their pultecs are insane tone box if you combine them on the master.
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Their pultecs are insane tone box if you combine them on the master.
Sure, give us an insane example then

Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes; 8th May 2018 at 03:47 PM..
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Nut

Here is a comparison vs the Waves Pultec.
5dB boost at 60hz.

The Waves is in Pink, and the Black Rooster in turquoise.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_bra_waves.jpg   Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_harmonic_dist.jpg   Black Rooster Audio releases the VEQ-1P Program EQ-pultec_phase_response.jpg  
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
Here is a comparison vs the Waves Pultec.
5dB boost at 60hz.

The Waves is in Pink, and the Black Rooster in turquoise.
Little O.T., but could you please tell me what software you used to render those graphs?
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni. View Post
Little O.T., but could you please tell me what software you used to render those graphs?

Fuzzmeasure.
(Be warned the phase plots do not work correctly for linear phase filters)
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

This couldn't have come at a better time. Demo'd a few other popular native versions and wasn't quite happy with their sound but this is really stellar work, as always BLA. I matched settings with the Kush Hammer EQ I was using on a mix and this fit better. This added some body and thickness, remained nice and soft sounding but surprisingly theres a great width thing happening in the highs - very open. With the Hammer (tight and punchy) and VEQ-1p (soft and big) I don't think I'll ever need another buss eq.

Still using the VLA-3A and Pre-73 all over my mixes and I will be with this too. The way Black Rooster plugs seem to be able soften digital transients is heaven to me. This is the best native Pultec I've used and the price is right.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
Fuzzmeasure. (Be warned the phase plots do not work correctly for linear phase filters)
Interesting. How do you set up the loop to do the measurement? Fuzzmeasure doesn’t directly support plugins, does it? Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search