The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MANTIS, the first Nebula library by SoundDrops is out! Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

OK ... I fibbed.

I do use Air-EQ, FabF-eq and a couple of AirWindows plugs [PureGain, Accelerator] at times. I use HOFA's De-Esser, and their EQ mainly for the 'dynamic' EQ when needed. If used discreetly in the chain, I can minimize the flat, single dimension that most 'algos' impart. As I continue to refine my Mastering decisions, I have gone back and replaced an algo for an Acqua/N4.

I'm dealing with a 2trk, source [not 24 or 124 tracks]. By that nature, the ends are justified.

For Restoration work ... iZotopeRX.

With all the available options ... I'm continually forced to listen and make discriminate, Sonic decisions. Always working to improve all aspects of my work, and
the tools I use.

[full disclosure]
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Thanks guys - interesting that the algo comps you all use are essentially clean with no modelled distortion. I definitely need to play with Mantis more on individual tracks.
Used CREAM Compressor on a live Stones tune.
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Thanks guys - interesting that the algo comps you all use are essentially clean with no modelled distortion. I definitely need to play with Mantis more on individual tracks.
PA alpha comp is still my no.1 mixbus algo comp. has a lovely clean analog vibe and grab, superb clipper, ms, great filter possibilities not only sc but also a very musical tilt capability.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Addict
Mantis disapeard from my neb folder, nowheret o be found. I cant even find it on my purchase on acustica website!
WTH? I got some coupons sent out to me for their AA stuff to the wrong email, are they messing up the website again?
And how do i get Mantis back?
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
Mantis disapeard from my neb folder, nowheret o be found. I cant even find it on my purchase on acustica website!
WTH? I got some coupons sent out to me for their AA stuff to the wrong email, are they messing up the website again?
And how do i get Mantis back?
Sorry to hear that, gregerlindberg.

Unfortunately, we 3rd-party developers have nothing to do with distribution and marketing, and I can't figure out a reason for this strange behavior anyway.

The usual route to go is to raise a ticket to AA's commercial department...
However, rest assured that next Monday I'll talk to some staff person about your problem.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Sorry to hear that, gregerlindberg.

Unfortunately, we 3rd-party developers have nothing to do with distribution and marketing, and I can't figure out a reason for this strange behavior anyway.

The usual route to go is to raise a ticket to AA's commercial department...
However, rest assured that next Monday I'll talk to some staff person about your problem.
Thank u Stedal.
I know that u have nothing to do in this, and all is in acustica´s site.
Would u however be able to see my purchase?
I raised a ticket as well.
The problem wasnt only that Mantis disapeared, but also me getting coupons for an old e-mail i requested years ago to be removed. I get more % to that email, then to the one i actually use!
Maybe i should start using that email instead!
Again, Stedal, thank you for response.
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank u Stedal.
I know that u have nothing to do in this, and all is in acustica´s site.
Would u however be able to see my purchase?
I raised a ticket as well.
The problem wasnt only that Mantis disapeared, but also me getting coupons for an old e-mail i requested years ago to be removed. I get more % to that email, then to the one i actually use!
Maybe i should start using that email instead!
Again, Stedal, thank you for response.
Maybe therein lies the problem ...

the EMAIL address is critical to both your purchase Account, and Aquarius.

Emails must be identical since the new Web Site changeover.
Old 1st July 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Maybe therein lies the problem ...

the EMAIL address is critical to both your purchase Account, and Aquarius.

Emails must be identical since the new Web Site changeover.

I know, that was my first dance when they switched. Everything gor screw up and i had some massive comunication with them about it before i got the stuff corrected. it went from 25% down to 10% and i realised that there was two accounts, then told them to fix that and move my plugins from the one i accidently bought to the only email im using. They wanted to charge for that at first... And some messages back and forth a couple of times, and they seemed to fix the mail problem, my coupons was still at 10% and now, well they are where they should, but only to the email-adress im not using, and the one i do, is not.. They reset the password to try that, and i tried to log in to the other email i started with years ago. Same password that they reset:ed to was on that one as well. So somehow, they didnt remove it at all! So im guess that is where it is. It is in their system where it get screwed up. I log in with the current mail, and see all plugins, but Mantis disapeared, and well, my coupons is gone as well..
And im missing Mantis.. Its such a good compressor..
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know, that was my first dance when they switched. Everything gor screw up and i had some massive comunication with them about it before i got the stuff corrected. it went from 25% down to 10% and i realised that there was two accounts, then told them to fix that and move my plugins from the one i accidently bought to the only email im using. They wanted to charge for that at first... And some messages back and forth a couple of times, and they seemed to fix the mail problem, my coupons was still at 10% and now, well they are where they should, but only to the email-adress im not using, and the one i do, is not.. They reset the password to try that, and i tried to log in to the other email i started with years ago. Same password that they reset:ed to was on that one as well. So somehow, they didnt remove it at all! So im guess that is where it is. It is in their system where it get screwed up. I log in with the current mail, and see all plugins, but Mantis disapeared, and well, my coupons is gone as well..
And im missing Mantis.. Its such a good compressor..
OK ... well, you probably know that AA Support does not view GS. Therefore, anyone that could possible resolve this ... ain't here.

It seems you're in contact with AA [Support Ticket ?].

We here can only offer superficial support. If you posted this info on the AA site directly ... Tech Support would have opportunity to view it.
Old 1st July 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
OK ... well, you probably know that AA Support does not view GS. Therefore, anyone that could possible resolve this ... ain't here.

It seems you're in contact with AA [Support Ticket ?].

We here can only offer superficial support. If you posted this info on the AA site directly ... Tech Support would have opportunity to view it.
Yes indeed. Ticket is raised, and the dance continues.

And yes i know they are not here reading this. My first thing here was if someone else had a plugin just disapear. And then, i just explained further and well down the slope it went.

But a ticket is in.. First thing i always do..
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

An observation I've made using Mantis... I usually run Live at 1024 buffer rate. When set to this, Mantis takes up roughly 1% cpu on my i5.

If I change the rate to 2048 it uses roughly 30% cpu. Any less that 1024 and it's around 30% as well. This is kind of what I expected something like Mantis to be cpu wise, as that's where the other libraries/aquas I've tried are at, more or less.

I thought the larger the buffer size the less cpu,and smaller sizes means more cpu intensive. I've loaded the project with the higher buffer size and still, it's way more cpu. I'm not complaining as it means I can run this excellent compressor at minimal expense, it just strikes me as odd, that it's so much less at 1024. Is this something specific to Nebula, or Mantis? Would be interested if anyone could explain why this is happening.
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
An observation I've made using Mantis... I usually run Live at 1024 buffer rate. When set to this, Mantis takes up roughly 1% cpu on my i5.

If I change the rate to 2048 it uses roughly 30% cpu. Any less that 1024 and it's around 30% as well. This is kind of what I expected something like Mantis to be cpu wise, as that's where the other libraries/aquas I've tried are at, more or less.

I thought the larger the buffer size the less cpu,and smaller sizes means more cpu intensive. I've loaded the project with the higher buffer size and still, it's way more cpu. I'm not complaining as it means I can run this excellent compressor at minimal expense, it just strikes me as odd, that it's so much less at 1024. Is this something specific to Nebula, or Mantis? Would be interested if anyone could explain why this is happening.
Possible reason: There are 2-3+ 'Buffers' involved/interacting. The Audio Interface, the DAW, and the plugin. These need to coordinate for efficiency ... and all balanced against CPU load.
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have definitely found that there is a sweet spot, and that anything above or below that sweet spot will cause higher CPU usage. The factors it seems have to do with the particulars of your system, which DAW you are using and at which sample rate,… maybe even your OS, though I cannot confirm the latter from personal experience.
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thank you both for your replies.

Really happy I can run this on the buss at next to no cpu, makes it that bit sweeter.

I just tried running the new Kazrog True Iron transformer plugin in front of Mantis on the buss, using the Kazrog for colouration and Mantis for a couple of db of compression, they sound amazing paired up!
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Maniac

Now that AA has stereo compressors can we get also Mantis stereo version? Does Magenta have one envelope for each side (L+R, M+S)? I have setted up Mantis in splitted L+R processing and it shines even more on my material.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thank you both for your replies.

Really happy I can run this on the buss at next to no cpu, makes it that bit sweeter.

I just tried running the new Kazrog True Iron transformer plugin in front of Mantis on the buss, using the Kazrog for colouration and Mantis for a couple of db of compression, they sound amazing paired up!
i can imagine that really well together
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

This is pretty awesome. I'd also love to see a % linkable version (or just the ability to run L and R unlinked). Doable in Reaper with a workaround, but it would be nice if it was in the GUI.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

aaaand.....bought. This thing smokes the Weiss compressor at lower sample rates. The only thing the Weiss has over it (besides the frequency dependent stuff) is that it operates unlinked. Add that to this thing and it will be a total beast. This thing really comes alive using 2 mono instances with just a smidge of gr.

This is a really good compressor.

Last edited by thermos; 6th August 2018 at 12:37 AM..
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Late to the party (working abroad) - just run Mantis through its paces.

<Insert superlatives here>

Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said; it's superb. Congrats on the release @SteDal. Henry-Q is also excellent. I'll be reaching for these two quite a lot I think.

Will compare it to DS-1 tonight.
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said; it's superb. Congrats on the release @SteDal. Henry-Q is also excellent. I'll be reaching for these two quite a lot I think.

So glad to hear that... Really appreciated, thanks!
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstate View Post
Now that AA has stereo compressors can we get also Mantis stereo version? Does Magenta have one envelope for each side (L+R, M+S)? I have setted up Mantis in splitted L+R processing and it shines even more on my material.
I'm confused, does this mean that in order for Mantis to work properly in stereo we have to use 2 instances?
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
I'm confused, does this mean that in order for Mantis to work properly in stereo we have to use 2 instances?
No, it's a stereo comp. They're talking of dual mono / unlinked, i.e. compressing each L/R (or M/S) signal independently of each other.
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, it's a stereo comp. They're talking of dual mono / unlinked, i.e. compressing each L/R (or M/S) signal independently of each other.
Aha, cool, thanks man. I know that you have to do that for some libraries, like Tim Petherick's 37J.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Mantis is very transparent while L Bus has a colored SSL grab and tone.
Will, would the "grab" be the main program and the "tone" be the Pre program?
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

How did the comparison with Weiss DS1-MK3 go?
Thanks
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac Beats View Post
How did the comparison with Weiss DS1-MK3 go?
Thanks
I only got around to mixbus testing and DS-1 was the clear winner. Mantis—while excellent—would start to sound thin and suffer from 'digititis' when pushing further (6dB GR), whereas DS-1 sounded full, dense, controlled and polished.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only got around to mixbus testing and DS-1 was the clear winner. Mantis—while excellent—would start to sound thin and suffer from 'digititis' when pushing further (6dB GR), whereas DS-1 sounded full, dense, controlled and polished.
Sorry, are you talking about the Softube, or the real thing?
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Sorry, are you talking about the Softube, or the real thing?
The plugin.
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
The plugin.
Someone said earliar that Mantis was the winner in his test against Softube.

Also don't see why one will compress more than 4db in mastering or on the
mixbuss so at the end your judgment is subjective.
No compressor is for all situations and it is also a matter of taste sometimes.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs View Post
Someone said earliar that Mantis was the winner in his test against Softube.

Also don't see why one will compress more than 4db in mastering or on the
mixbuss so at the end your judgment is subjective.
No compressor is for all situations and it is also a matter of taste sometimes.
Indeed. I push to 6-7dB for boundary testing, I like to hear how comps handle under stress.

DS-1 has a sound that I'm a big fan of (polished). I also use it as a deeser, fixer and sometimes in parallel. I own Mantis btw and rate it highly. DS-1 is my own preference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search