The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MANTIS, the first Nebula library by SoundDrops is out! Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th May 2018
  #121
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Okay... Mantis is great... but you guys are getting goofy now.
Ok, ok... You're definitely right. I stand corrected.
Old 18th May 2018
  #122
Lives for gear
 

'Getting Goofy' ... I think I recorded that Band.
Old 18th May 2018
  #123
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Okay... Mantis is great... but you guys are getting goofy now.
It's all part of the Nebula fun...
Old 20th May 2018
  #124
Gear Addict
 

The fun I am having is mixing with Mantis. I tried to persuade myself I have enough compressors, but this is really something else. The attack curve never pronounces the transient, and is hard to get distorted. Really sublime.

I didn't want to get into this because it was a Nebula plugin rather than an Aqua, and I was intimidated by the learning curve, but using N4 Player has been seamless.

If there was one thing I wish, it would be for an inbuilt MS mode.
Old 20th May 2018
  #125
Gear Addict
 

I held off but I felt a kind of pull of destiny to buy this. I knew it would compliment the digital transparency of the Weiss DS-1. Nice and simple too, limited options with immense flexibility. Perfect! :D
Old 20th May 2018
  #126
Anyone else having installation issues?

It shows up in Aquarius... I run the installer, but it does not show up in my DAW. I've used 4 installations already to no avail. I'm on OSX 10.12.6 and Logic 10.4.1.

I've had no other Aquarius issues wit my Acustica plugins... all has been fine there both installing and updating.

Am I missing something? Does Mantis work with OSX and Logic?

Thx
Old 20th May 2018
  #127
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Anyone else having installation issues?

It shows up in Aquarius... I run the installer, but it does not show up in my DAW. I've used 4 installations already to no avail. I'm on OSX 10.12.6 and Logic 10.4.1.

I've had no other Aquarius issues wit my Acustica plugins... all has been fine there both installing and updating.

Am I missing something? Does Mantis work with OSX and Logic?

Thx
You are using N4 or the free N4Player to open it, correct? It's under the DYN category.
Old 20th May 2018
  #128
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Does Mantis work with OSX and Logic? Thx
Yep, works well here.
Logic 10.4.1
macOS 10.13.4
Old 21st May 2018
  #129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
You are using N4 or the free N4Player to open it, correct? It's under the DYN category.
No, I guess I didn't understand the whole process... I was just looking for it like an Aqua.

Looking for the N4 Player now... thx
Old 21st May 2018
  #130
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
No, I guess I didn't understand the whole process... I was just looking for it like an Aqua.

Looking for the N4 Player now... thx
Great, you should have it up & running. It is a bit convoluted if you're not used to Acustiica's process.
Old 21st May 2018
  #131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Great, you should have it up & running. It is a bit convoluted if you're not used to Acustiica's process.
Got it going, thanks...

Excellent 2-buss compressor... played with it about an hour, then bought it.
Old 21st May 2018
  #132
Once I purchased and installed Mantis does it simply replace the trial version? With the Aquas, both the commercial and trial versions stay in your system.

When I now load Mantis in N4Player (after buying and installing), I am not seeing a distinction between a normal version and one marked "Trial" as with the Aqua plugs. I'm still only seeing two Mantis versions: regular and SC... just like when loading the trial version before. And I don't see any indication of the commercial vs. trial versions in the GUI.

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with the Nebula format (I only use Acqua plugs from Acustica)... Thx
Old 22nd May 2018
  #133
Lives for gear
As its an Pwm compressor, anyone compared it to cranesong stc?
Old 22nd May 2018
  #134
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
As its an Pwm compressor, anyone compared it to cranesong stc?

It is not necessary to compare this and that,all i can say is after playing with Mantis am not interested in any hardware and software differences anymore
If someone is a hardware freak then they should think out of the box.

Mantis is an obsolute Supreme King.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #135
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
As its an Pwm compressor, anyone compared it to cranesong stc?
I really like Mantis for it's clean transparent compression ITB, but I own a Fearn VT-7 which uses the Cranesong designed PWM detector and the hardware is king without a doubt. I'm not knocking Mantis at all, it is a very useful compressor ITB, the Fearn is just on a different level and what it does to the low end is special IMHO. To compare a $6K hardware comp to an under $100 Mantis is tough, as the price difference is huge, but for the money Mantis is well worth it and there is no other software comp that does what Mantis does IMHO.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #136
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I really like Mantis for it's clean transparent compression ITB, but I own a Fearn VT-7 which uses the Cranesong designed PWM detector and the hardware is king without a doubt. I'm not knocking Mantis at all, it is a very useful compressor ITB, the Fearn is just on a different level and what it does to the low end is special IMHO. To compare a $6K hardware comp to an under $100 Mantis is tough, as the price difference is huge, but for the money Mantis is well worth it and there is no other software comp that does what Mantis does IMHO.
Agreed to everything.

Keep also in mind that Mantis is a 'pure' compressor, in that there's no preamp/harmonic distortion stage on the signal.
I'm pretty sure that all the transformers and tubes in the VT-7 play an essential role in providing its wonderful tone color.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #137
Lives for gear
 

I can only dream of a Ruby compressor.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #138
Lives for gear
I just purchased Mantis after trying the trial. I installed the commercial version but i am not seeing 2 separate plugins. Trial and commercial. How can i know that i am using the commercial version and not trial?
Old 22nd May 2018
  #139
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Agreed to everything.

Keep also in mind that Mantis is a 'pure' compressor, in that there's no preamp/harmonic distortion stage on the signal.
I'm pretty sure that all the transformers and tubes in the VT-7 play an essential role in providing its wonderful tone color.
Yeah the tubes and that huge transformer add the size for sure. A more accurate comparison to Mantis would be the Cranesong STC as it is PWM comp but very clean sounding. I only added my thoughts as my VT-7 is the only PWM comp I have and it uses the Cranesong detector, and I don't own the STC.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #140
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I really like Mantis for it's clean transparent compression ITB, but I own a Fearn VT-7 which uses the Cranesong designed PWM detector and the hardware is king without a doubt. I'm not knocking Mantis at all, it is a very useful compressor ITB, the Fearn is just on a different level and what it does to the low end is special IMHO. To compare a $6K hardware comp to an under $100 Mantis is tough, as the price difference is huge, but for the money Mantis is well worth it and there is no other software comp that does what Mantis does IMHO.
Well if color,character and more 3D is what we talking about then there are many options out there,and we can even target all that in the recording and mixing stage,we can run many preamps,eq's and flat compressors to get more color and 3D before mastering,but most of the time that is not what we are after on the stereo bus situations.

The fact that something cost 6k don't makes it the ideal tool for all task,infact after getting all the low end and widening my tracks well in mixing,i won't allow that 6k compressor to add that color to the low end or that extra 3D that is not needed,i may listen to decide if it is helping or not,and that 1 to 2db gain reduction on the bus don't really need any magical compressor but a good enough compressor to do it.

If one wants to keep the illusions that it cost 7k so it is the real deal and better all the time,then that is ok to make the money spent meaningful because in reality the difference turns to be a different flavour and different arts.
Old 23rd May 2018
  #141
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs View Post
If one wants to keep the illusions that it cost 7k so it is the real deal and better all the time,then that is ok to make the money spent meaningful because in reality the difference turns to be a different flavour and different arts.
LOL, I'm under zero illusions as I actually compared the two different tools, both which are based on the rare PWM detector. In pro audio comparing tools is what we do regardless of the price, we just keep it in perspective, which I did. I use both for their strengths and will continue to do so without reservation. As always to each their own.
Old 31st May 2018
  #142
Just a quick anecdote, as I find these little stories valuable...

I bought Mantis a week or so ago, based on all the raves and after demoing it for about an hour. It really is a good compressor and very transparent when set up properly.

However, I've been working on a track this past week, and Mantis had been on my 2-buss. (BTW, it seems pretty efficient compared to some of my Aquas.) Last night, the mix just wasn't happening in any kind of magical way that I was looking for. I didn't feel I was getting anything interesting out of Mantis, although it was doing the job and providing glue. So, I replaced it with the compressor-only module from Sand and, BAM!

There it was... a little bigger than life, open in the top end, 3-D clarity and depth, and the glue we use SSL Buss comps for. (FWIW, I use the hardware quite a bit, and I also own a Stam SA4000 SSL-clone that I was too lazy to patch in while trying to bang out this rough mix for an artist.)

So—just in this one case, one experience, by one person—Mantis didn't give me anywhere near the magic I got from Sand. As of today, I feel like Mantis will make its way on some individual tracks and some busses, because it's clean and powerful; but I can't say it's going to jump to the top of the heap on my 2-buss just yet. It felt a little cloudy compared to Sand... somewhere in between Sand and my algo plugins, TBH.

On a positive note... I feel like the simple Mantis GUI is giving me a pretty accurate meter readout, which is important on busses or the 2-buss. I feel pretty good about what I'm seeing with Sand, too; although I tend to not trust its meters as much as I would my hardware, obviously. I'm still demoing Cream, and those compressor meters seem pretty good, too. But as mentioned above, the metering is so far off in Gold that I just don't use its compressor at all (even though I love those old Neve comps). That really needs to be sorted by Acustica.

Anyway, I'd love others to share more of their sober thoughts and experiences working in the real-world, even if it's not completely flattering to a particular plugin all the time.
Old 31st May 2018
  #143
Gear Maniac
 

Well, @robshrock, I think it's perfectly fine that there's no universal "make-it-sound-better" tool.

I believe that Mantis shows its best whenever transparency and smoothness are requested, but I totally understand that there are cases where you might need some more tone-shaping, or a more aggressive "hard-knee" dynamic action...

In the end I think this is just a testament to how Acustica's technology is able to emulate different type of hardware processors, included all their specific sonic details.
Then, of course, it's just a matter of choosing the right tool for the right task.

However, once again TIYF, Trial Is Your Friend!
Old 31st May 2018
  #144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Well, @robshrock, I think it's perfectly fine that there's no universal "make-it-sound-better" tool.

I believe that Mantis shows its best whenever transparency and smoothness are requested, but I totally understand that there are cases where you might need some more tone-shaping, or a more aggressive "hard-knee" dynamic action...

In the end I think this is just a testament to how Acustica's technology is able to emulate different type of hardware processors, included all their specific sonic details.
Then, of course, it's just a matter of choosing the right tool for the right task.

However, once again TIYF, Trial Is Your Friend!
I agree... I know Mantis will have its place in my toolbox. And you are correct, there are times when you don't want any add'l color at all. For those times, Mantis is now on my short-list.

Cheers
Old 31st May 2018
  #145
Gear Maniac
 

I combine it with other compressor eg. Sand or other. Because it can further compress already compressed sound without sounding compressed
Compress in "moderation" (for electronic music) of course. Compress in series on buss with different (topologicaly) compressor and with just few (3 max) dBs and combine to your taste. Mantis will enhance (magnify) whats tonaly already there.
Old 31st May 2018
  #146
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Everyone needs to test this comp, it's one of the smoothest bus comps out today..... FANTASTIC work SteDal!!
Ok...now I have to check this one out!

I must say that I seem to prever transparent devices in general, so this one might be a nice comp for me.
Old 31st May 2018
  #147
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

It´s quite nice, but...the more hardware I purchase, the less I enjoy software.
Old 5th June 2018
  #148
Gear Maniac
 

Hi, just a quick heads-up.

I'm currently publishing on the Tube a few demo videos showing Mantis doing its thing on various sources.

For the time being, I've uploaded a Master Bus demo and a Drum Subgroup demo.

Other videos will follow shortly.
Since I'm quite a newbie in this peculiar visual art, any suggestion is mostly welcome!
Old 6th June 2018
  #149
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Hi, just a quick heads-up.

I'm currently publishing on the Tube a few demo videos showing Mantis doing its thing on various sources.

For the time being, I've uploaded a Master Bus demo and a Drum Subgroup demo.

Other videos will follow shortly.
Since I'm quite a newbie in this peculiar visual art, any suggestion is mostly welcome!
Bravo, this is what I would expect from a serious compressor demonstration.
I would like also to see Mantis videos for other instruments, vocals and whole mixes from various genres
Old 6th June 2018
  #150
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Hi, just a quick heads-up.

I'm currently publishing on the Tube a few demo videos showing Mantis doing its thing on various sources.

For the time being, I've uploaded a Master Bus demo and a Drum Subgroup demo.

Other videos will follow shortly.
Since I'm quite a newbie in this peculiar visual art, any suggestion is mostly welcome!
Please give us Api 2500 style compressor
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump