The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MANTIS, the first Nebula library by SoundDrops is out! Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
One month. So the launch offer is going to last until about May 15th.
Thank you. This sounds really quite special to me in my brief use. I've been looking for a kind of all purpose buss comp that I get on with and the action of this just feels really right. I can't demo it properly at the moment as I'm having to rest my ear but as soon as it's healed I will give this a proper go.

Side note - I downloaded the n4 demo and gold trial a while ago but found it to be a total faff to install and get working. The new Aquarias system was so simple and makes it much more quick to get this up and running.

First impressions are great but as I said, I need to test more when I can to gauge the sound, but even on a few breaks I could dial in decent amounts of GR without it sounding bad or pinchy at all, just different flavours. How is it so low on cpu as well? I was under the impression everything Nebula related was heavy, this seems to be non-existent cpu wise!

The GUI is really my cup of tea as well, simple, clear, nice colour choices. Excited to try this out further, congrats on the release.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchenoir View Post
Ok, I will check as soon as I get back home. Thanks for your help!
I'm sorry I can't be of any help...

I already have Mantis in my Aquarius 'Purchased' list, of course, so I can't reproduce your situation.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm sorry I can't be of any help...

I already have Mantis in my Aquarius 'Purchased' list, of course, so I can't reproduce your situation.
No worries. I will check that later and will report here.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
No worries. I will check that later and will report here.
Nope, there is nothing to do... Mantis doesn't appear in Aquarius although I purchased the trial version.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nope, there is nothing to do... Mantis doesn't appear in Aquarius although I purchased the trial version.
*Edit: I misunderstood your problem, sorry. I'm rewriting this post...

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious...

You should find Mantis under the Purchased tab. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit, since Mantis is in the "Nebula Libraries" category, after all the Acquas and Nebula...
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
*Edit: I misunderstood your problem, sorry. I'm rewriting this post...

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious...

You should find Mantis under the Purchased tab. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit, since Mantis is in the "Nebula Libraries" category, after all the Acquas and Nebula...
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear in my "Purchased" tab.

Just to be sure, here is what I did from the very beginning:
1. I went to my Acustica Audio account on the Acustica Audio website.
2. I purchased Mantis trial.
3. I received an order reference.
4. From there, I followed a link that leads me to an "Order Summary" page.
5. On this page, there is an "AUTHORIZATION PROCCESS" with a "Download Product" button: when I pressed it a new window opened with this address: https://app.box.com/s/XXX, which is a blank page, and nothing else happened.
6. I then opened the Aquarius app, but nothing is there.

Perhaps I did something wrong?
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

One thing to check is that you're logging into aquarius with your email instead of your username... I had something like this when Pink 2 was released and I got it under the pink compressors bundle. I logged into acquarius and nothing... I tried with my email and it worked... I dunno, maybe it was the other way round but that was what fixed this kinda thing for me.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
One thing to check is that you're logging into aquarius with your email instead of your username... I had something like this when Pink 2 was released and I got it under the pink compressors bundle. I logged into acquarius and nothing... I tried with my email and it worked... I dunno, maybe it was the other way round but that was what fixed this kinda thing for me.
Congrats V4nger! That was the problem! Thank you very much.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Great
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Can we get more info on the hardware model?

Demoing this since it came out and have to say, it is a great compressor. It gives so much space and dimension on the mix buss that the Weiss DS1 compressor comes to mind. Of course, the latter has much more possibilities and is in a league of its own, but still. Very nice job.

I was wondering if the developer could give some more info on the hardware that was built for the purpose of creating Mantis. According to his bio he has no background in electronics. Who designed and built it then? To what extent is it a copy of existing commercial hardware PWM compressors? Are there any pics or schematics available? I for one would appreciate it a lot if such info could be made available.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab of Sound View Post
Demoing this since it came out and have to say, it is a great compressor. It gives so much space and dimension on the mix buss that the Weiss DS1 compressor comes to mind. Of course, the latter has much more possibilities and is in a league of its own, but still. Very nice job.

I was wondering if the developer could give some more info on the hardware that was built for the purpose of creating Mantis. According to his bio he has no background in electronics. Who designed and built it then? To what extent is it a copy of existing commercial hardware PWM compressors? Are there any pics or schematics available? I for one would appreciate it a lot if such info could be made available.

Cheers,

Jack
Hi Jack.

I'm really glad you like Mantis.
And, yes, I agree it really shines on bus/master duties.

I wrote some info about the hardware in the manual, which you may download/read at the bottom of this page, in case you haven't done it yet.

Mantis it's a totally new design of mine, based of course on the proven block-structure of historical PWM compressors such as the ones made by PYE.

As I wrote in the manual, the task of design such a circuit from scratch actually is much easier today than it used to be back then, given the number of high-quality high-speed ICs that now are available.

And as for me... yes, my formal education only dealt with performing and teaching music; my electronics skills OTOH come from a long-standing passion for audio circuits since I was 13 (that is to say more than 40 years ago).

Come to think of it, I remember that the first encouragement in that direction came from a gift from my parents: an 'Electronic Engineer' starter kit sold by Philips (NL) in the early '70s.
Maybe there's some other electronics geek out there that followed the same route, who knows...
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi Jack.

I'm really glad you like Mantis.

I wrote some info about the hardware in the manual, which you may download/read at the bottom of this page, in case you haven't done it yet.

Mantis it's a totally new design of mine, based of course on the proven block-structure of historical PWM compressors such as the ones made by PYE.

As I wrote in the manual, the task of design such a circuit from scratch actually is much easier today than it used to be back then, given the number of high-quality high-speed ICs that now are available.

And as for me... yes, my formal education only dealt with performing and teaching music; my electronics skills OTOH come from a long-standing passion for audio circuits since I was 13 (that is to say more than 40 years ago).

Come to think of it, I remember that the first encouragement in that direction came from a gift from my parents: an 'Electronic Engineer' starter kit sold by Philips (NL) in the early '70s.
Maybe there's some other electronics geek out there that followed the same route, who knows...
Sounds like this Mantis design would sell well as hardware too. Or maybe even as a DIY kit of whatever completeness........hint hint.....
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Hello Stedal...

I wanted to buy your Library but i have issues with acustica audio and their handling of things on their website.
As am a Nebula 3 pro owner and also have few comments on the third party developers forum,i was supposed to be able to
login to the acustica website as usual with my login details and purchase things easily but that is not the case here

Acustica audio changed their website recently and am not able to login again with my login details,tried it and they claimed they will email me to reset my password but no email from them.

acustica audio ways of doing things is somehow,but anyway am not
interested in buying nebula 4,is the N 4 player all i need to use your library in it's full potential?
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs View Post
Hello Stedal...

I wanted to buy your Library but i have issues with acustica audio and their handling of things on their website.
As am a Nebula 3 pro owner and also have few comments on the third party developers forum,i was supposed to be able to
login to the acustica website as usual with my login details and purchase things easily but that is not the case here

Acustica audio changed their website recently and am not able to login again with my login details,tried it and they claimed they will email me to reset my password but no email from them.

interested in buying nebula 4,is the N 4 player all i need to use your library in it's full potential?
From the website ... YOU reset your own username/password. AA has nothing to do about that.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
From the website ... YOU reset your own username/password. AA has nothing to do about that.

It is refusing my official email and actually expecting a new email than my main which
was used to purchased nebula 3 pro,i don't want to register with another email
than my main which the site claimed it's already been taken,i cannot contact the support etc.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is refusing my official email and actually expecting a new email than my main which
was used to purchased nebula 3 pro,i don't want to register with another email
than my main which the site claimed it's already been taken,i cannot contact the support etc.
you can contact AA at this email adress when you cant login :

[email protected]
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely stellar on the stereo bus
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Hello Stedal...

Just do a Password reset on the new website.. I had to do the same, works fine.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello Stedal...

@Few Knobs: sorry to hear about your login troubles...

If nothing else works, you should definitely contact Acustica via email, as written by jfjer above: [email protected]
They can easily solve your problem; actually, we 3rd-party developers have no power over these matters.

However, yes, the free N4Player is able to run Mantis, as well as any other new Nebula/Acqua library. There's no need for you to buy the full-fledged N4 for this.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
This compressor is absolutely fantastic on the mixbus! Wonderful gui and responsivenes. I love it. I no longer have N4 so I've been shooting out Pink2 and Crimson with Mantis on the mixbus and it was an easy choice, I preferred Mantis 100%. Glad I listened and waited. This is a great start for N4 player which is looking more and more attractive now.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
This compressor is absolutely fantastic on the mixbus! Wonderful gui and responsivenes. I love it. I no longer have N4 so I've been shooting out Pink2 and Crimson with Mantis on the mixbus and it was an easy choice, I preferred Mantis 100%. Glad I listened and waited. This is a great start for N4 player which is looking more and more attractive now.
I agree, this thing is special. I will be picking it up as well
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
This compressor is absolutely fantastic on the mixbus! Wonderful gui and responsiveness. I've been shooting out Pink2 and Crimson with Mantis on the mixbus and it was an easy choice, I preferred Mantis 100%.
Agreed.
I prefer it on the mixbus to EVERY other Aqua compressor I have (Sand, Coral, Lime, Gold, Cobalt, Titanium2, Pink2 and Crimson).
Simple yet USEFUL feature set and superb sound.
Extraordinarily smooth, yet with a glue and movement which is really missed when I hit bypass

Last edited by Beatworld; 23rd April 2018 at 09:18 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
I agree, this thing is special. I will be picking it up as well
Indeed. Mantis saved me from spending $400+ on the new Softube compressor.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Agreed.
I prefer it on the mixbus to EVERY other Aqua compressor I have (Sand, Coral, Lime, Gold, Cobalt, Titanium2, Pink2 and Crimson).
Simple yet USEFUL feature set and superb sound.
Extraordinarily smooth, yet with a glue and movement which is really missed when I hit bypass
Yep! I'll add my Amethyst and Aquamarine to that list as well. Mantis checked all my requirements. No additional modules, Sidechain for lows, clean but not sterile for versatility, add some analog mojo, compression action, ease of use, price, and enjoyment factor. It is also a plus that Mantis is superficially pleasant to look at. In short a reliable go to mixbus compressor that I can use every mix without having to shortchange anything trying to compensate for its deficiencies.

I've been quiet as I did my own back and forth just to make sure I wasn't succumbing to the new product trigger finger. Requirements aside, I found I liked different elements of each Aqua compressor but none really worked on everything. Hence why I have so many going unused for long stretches of time. I know this is GS but that's just a waste of money.

For instance I like the various compression characteristics, bigness and side spread depth of Coral but it can be too smooth. Aquamarine has great tone but is fussy. Crimson is open and delicate (or expensive) sounding in the mids but strikes me as more of a mastering compressor for added fairy dust. Cobalt for a big thick bear hug with nice bottom end and size but again for mastering fairy dust. Etc etc etc. Mantis on the other hand is a good balance between depth, tone, character, clean and smooth. Hard to see anyone not liking Mantis, the guy definitely knows what he is doing.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Really enjoying the Mantis Trial here, remarkably good compressor action!

HPF and ATTACK seem to have exponential step size (rising from zero to full). Using micro-tuning [ALT + 'Drag'] I cannot target precise (wanted) values, and I wonder if there's any option to have linear range, or even smaller step sizes?

Also,
Is there any optional change to the xml that influences GR meter, inertia or sensitivity?
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Really enjoying the Mantis Trial here, remarkably good compressor action!
Thank you!

Quote:
HPF and ATTACK seem to have exponential step size (rising from zero to full). Using micro-tuning [ALT + 'Drag'] I cannot target precise (wanted) values, and I wonder if there's any option to have linear range, or even smaller step sizes?
This is a current limitation of Nebula skinning language, in that displaying Nebula's real internal values on the GUI is a quite convoluted process.
Actually you still have all the finer settings inside the plug-in; it's just that you can't see them on the panel because only a subset of them are displayed by any single knob 'frame'.

If you press the 'Edit' button in N4Player you'll see all the actual values shown by the default N4 skin.

Quote:
Also,
Is there any optional change to the xml that influences GR meter, inertia or sensitivity?
Nope. It can be modified inside the program's XLM before it's compacted.
How would you like the GR metering to be different? Slower? Faster? Differently mapped?
I can't make any promise, but who knows, maybe in a future Mantis v2, given a suitable number of requests...
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Actually you still have all the finer settings inside the plug-in;
Ahh ok. From generic menu it is possible to get more precise values using the sliders, ie. 55,05Hz or 80,04Hz for the HPF, that’s better!

About the GR meter, I would prefer much shorter rise and fallback times > VU-style. Now the meter hardly have fallback @100bpm half note. Personally I would prefer in between 400 to 450ms rise/fallback with an overshoot of 1-2%
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Sounds like this Mantis design would sell well as hardware too. Or maybe even as a DIY kit of whatever completeness........hint hint.....
I suppose that's a no.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
About the GR meter, I would prefer much shorter rise and fallback times > VU-style. Now the meter hardly have fallback @100bpm half note. Personally I would prefer in between 400 to 450ms rise/fallback with an overshoot of 1-2%
I don't think this is possible with N4Player, but if you have the full-fledged N4 there's a GUI RATE value in the Settings/Engine MAST page (basic) menu.
It can go as low as 5mS, and of course, the faster, the snappier all the meters react.
Please note that changing this value doesn't alter the sound in any way, it's purely a cosmetic/display setting.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I suppose that's a no.
Ah, yes... I forgot to explicitly answer, my apologies.

You see, the great thing about designing and building audio devices with the only scope of sampling them and eventually create a Nebula/Acqua library from them is that I can dispense with lots of auxiliary parts of the circuit that would be essential in a real device intended for everyday use... DC blocking capacitors on the audio path (or a DC-servo subcircuit) come to mind as an example.
Or, as far as Mantis, a practical way to change its ratios with a rotary switch or a series of relays instead of phisically exchanging some components on the board, as it's the case now.

So Mantis 'as is' would be incomplete as a real 'hardware' compressor; even more so if you consider that in its present form it lies in front of me on my lab bench as a bunch of components soldered on a prototyping board, with lots of patches and 'kludges' thrown in for good measure.

So this is the general idea behind my MetaWare series of libraries: Mantis is just the first of them, others will follow later on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search