The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio - 1073EQ - New Release Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th April 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmo View Post
If you buy 2 does the shipping work out to be less per unit? Thanks!
40% less on the second unit
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

If this is a direct clone of the 1073, there should be existing manuals which describe all the functions somewhere? Everything else is pretty self-explanatory but the line/mic gain switch seems a lil cryptic..

EDIT: Found some pdf manual describing the 1073 & 1084 functions, I imagine they apply somewhat to the Stam audio version as well? Are the eq points, their values and other specs the same as these?
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio - 1073EQ - New Release-e3857bb9-a932-4a68-928f-e9357b1fc47d.jpg   Stam Audio - 1073EQ - New Release-c751c87f-7bd4-4709-bbde-5d464e199fa1.jpg  
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

any photos of the back?
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
If this is a direct clone of the 1073, there should be existing manuals which describe all the functions somewhere? Everything else is pretty self-explanatory but the line/mic gain switch seems a lil cryptic..

EDIT: Found some pdf manual describing the 1073 & 1084 functions, I imagine they apply somewhat to the Stam audio version as well? Are the eq points, their values and other specs the same as these?
Yeah, it's not so clear there, either. I believe on the Warm Audio version you can use all the gain settings on all the inputs, but there's a switch to select inputs.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Just ordered 2. Looking forward to it as this will be my first Stam product.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Interested to see how the preamp compares to the AMS 1073lb 500 series. the Heritage audio versions seem to break up and add distortion on less aggressive settings compared to the AMS version on input gain, and is a sound difference i do not enjoy from the heritage audio version. However i need another preamp strip for a different location and hoping the stam can hold up with my existing 1073lb collection
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Addict

I wonder if we could get an answer to the question of how much gain is available for the DI input on this unit. Is it the full range of 80db?
Old 9th May 2018
Here for the gear

It really looks great and promising

But the more important question is...
How does it sound?
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

who cares, its cheap as hell
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Addict

Ah Pro Audio. The realm where $1000 is cheap as hell and it's a mystery how anything under $500 can even possibly function.

Greatful that Stam makes reasonably priced options that are great quality
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
who cares, its cheap as hell
That's almost as dumb as saying, "Who cares? It's expensive! It must sound good!"

For what it's worth, I agree with shoepedals. Anything over say $500 isn't considered cheap. Relatively cheap compared to other high quality products, but not REALLY cheap.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear
@Stam I emailed you through the website a few days ago - never heard back. Are the 1073EQ still available for the $200 (or $100 off) discounted pre-order price? They are still both up on the website but I wanted to confirm before ordering to know how much to expect to pay.

Thanks.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
That's almost as dumb as saying, "Who cares? It's expensive! It must sound good!"

For what it's worth, I agree with shoepedals. Anything over say $500 isn't considered cheap. Relatively cheap compared to other high quality products, but not REALLY cheap.
not everyone has a sense for irony i guess
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
@Stam I emailed you through the website a few days ago - never heard back. Are the 1073EQ still available for the $200 (or $100 off) discounted pre-order price? They are still both up on the website but I wanted to confirm before ordering to know how much to expect to pay.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
When the first 100 text is remove from the pricing the offer has ended
Thanks
Quote:
FIRST 100 TO PRE-ORDER: $200.00 DISCOUNT

Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

Ah dude you gotta stop with these new products... killing me! Component quality to price ratio is insane.

When does the Stam Audio Visa Card/financing come out???
Old 17th May 2018
Yea I'm a bit confused about the input transformer. Does the DI go through it on the base models? It looks like the stock Heritage has carnhills on in and out. I'm curious about the sound of no line in trans. I'm guessing it would be cleaner which may be good for mix bus processing? Also, are the eq's stepped or at least have a notch at 0? Thanks for any input. I read the web page but not really talking about sound differences... Thanks
Old 17th May 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Yea I'm a bit confused about the input transformer. Does the DI go through it on the base models? It looks like the stock Heritage has carnhills on in and out. I'm curious about the sound of no line in trans. I'm guessing it would be cleaner which may be good for mix bus processing? Also, are the eq's stepped or at least have a notch at 0? Thanks for any input. I read the web page but not really talking about sound differences... Thanks
The DI does not go through the input transformer
If you want that then you need to add a line input transformer which is optional.
Our stock unit uses Carnhills, our premium uses Carnhill input and Sowter output.

Thanks
Josh
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
The DI does not go through the input transformer
If you want that then you need to add a line input transformer which is optional.
Our stock unit uses Carnhills, our premium uses Carnhill input and Sowter output.

Thanks
Josh
Hi Josh,

Is the full gain range available on the DI or only the line gain range?
Old 19th May 2018
For those of us who have pre ordered, is the July delivery date on track?
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

I’m hoping they ship before xmas 2018
Stam’s rarely managed to keep their deadlines as planned, unfortunately
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
For those of us who have pre ordered, is the July delivery date on track?
Just spoke to them yesterday, the 1073/EQ will be shipping the end of July.
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Bad customer service

I cannot stress enough what horrible customer service Stam Audio provides! I asked them a question via email, and I got a response that had practically nothing to do with my question. Then, when I asked for clarification, there was radio silence!!! I have been waiting for five days now (their website emphasizes, and I quote, "we aim to respond within 24 hours"), and they have yet to give me the courtesy of a response...which is only a number! What, it take about 3 seconds to type a price and hit send??? This is BS. I would much rather buy a 1073 clone for $200-$400 MORE from a company that will provide excellent customer service and that will provide the piece of mind that they will respond when I have any question or issue with a product, a purchase or a technical issue related to gear.

I can't attest to how good their gear sounds, because: 1) I've never used it; and 2) I obviously won't ever use it because they seem to not be interested in selling their gear to begin with!

Not a good way to set the tone!!!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimamusic View Post
I cannot stress enough what horrible customer service Stam Audio provides! I asked them a question via email, and I got a response that had practically nothing to do with my question. Then, when I asked for clarification, there was radio silence!!! I have been waiting for five days now (their website emphasizes, and I quote, "we aim to respond within 24 hours"), and they have yet to give me the courtesy of a response...which is only a number! What, it take about 3 seconds to type a price and hit send??? This is BS. I would much rather buy a 1073 clone for $200-$400 MORE from a company that will provide excellent customer service and that will provide the piece of mind that they will respond when I have any question or issue with a product, a purchase or a technical issue related to gear.

I can't attest to how good their gear sounds, because: 1) I've never used it; and 2) I obviously won't ever use it because they seem to not be interested in selling their gear to begin with!

Not a good way to set the tone!!!
If you buy Stam Audio, it's for the quality of the gear and the price point. If you want to pay for customer service, look elsewhere. Stam have admitted to being understaffed and overwhelmed with work, so don't expect a reply soon. They are focusing on delivering on time, which is a great advancement for a small company like this. This 1073EQ seems on track to ship in July, so all good.

PS: what price info were you looking for that you couldn't find on the website?
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
If you buy Stam Audio, it's for the quality of the gear and the price point. If you want to pay for customer service, look elsewhere. Stam have admitted to being understaffed and overwhelmed with work, so don't expect a reply soon. They are focusing on delivering on time, which is a great advancement for a small company like this. This 1073EQ seems on track to ship in July, so all good.

PS: what price info were you looking for that you couldn't find on the website?
Wow. Strange how you put quality over customer service. I absolutely want a quality product, don't get me wrong! But having worked in industries where customer service is HUGELY important, well, this is important to ME as a consumer.

I don't want the EQ. I want the 2 channel preamp...with Carnhill transformers. The problem I tried to express in my first communication (and where my question was not properly answered) was this:

On top of the product page for the 1073 MPA, is states that the pre-order price (with Carnhill transformers) is $690. But on the bottom, the site states:
"Instead of the normal $990 you will receive your unit for just $790 or $890 depending on your output transformer of choice. To lock in your unit hit the add to cart button below and put down a $200 deposit. Once paid the balance for your unit will be $590 (Carnhill) or $690 (Sowter) which will be due once it has been completed."
Well, $590 + $200 is $790. Maybe I am just misinterpreting this, so all I needed was clarification...and I have yet to receive it. The first email response I received did not answer my question. I tried to clarify my question, but I have yet to hear from anyone.

By the way, if Stam Audio is not able to provide a response within 24 hours, then they need to take it off their website. Small, overwhelmed company? Well, I get it! That is understandable (and admirable). But if a 24-hour turnaround time is not possible, then simply don't post it.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Strange how you put quality over customer service. I absolutely want a quality product, don't get me wrong! But having worked in industries where customer service is HUGELY important, well, this is important to ME as a consumer.

I don't want the EQ. I want the 2 channel preamp...with Carnhill transformers. The problem I tried to express in my first communication (and where my question was not properly answered) was this:

On top of the product page for the 1073 MPA, is states that the pre-order price (with Carnhill transformers) is $690. But on the bottom, the site states:
"Instead of the normal $990 you will receive your unit for just $790 or $890 depending on your output transformer of choice. To lock in your unit hit the add to cart button below and put down a $200 deposit. Once paid the balance for your unit will be $590 (Carnhill) or $690 (Sowter) which will be due once it has been completed."
Well, $590 + $200 is $790. Maybe I am just misinterpreting this, so all I needed was clarification...and I have yet to receive it. The first email response I received did not answer my question. I tried to clarify my question, but I have yet to hear from anyone.

By the way, if Stam Audio is not able to provide a response within 24 hours, then they need to take it off their website. Small, overwhelmed company? Well, I get it! That is understandable (and admirable). But if a 24-hour turnaround time is not possible, then simply don't post it.
On the Stam website, if the info is displayed at the top, then it applies. You should be able to get the $690 pre order price (if the unit is not in stock, then it's on pre order, so the intro price applies). It's something I learnt about the company by doing some small research here and there, I got to know how they operate, so I know what to expect.

If customer service is so important to you, I advise to purchase from any other company that offers the same price and quality components, but please do tell who they are. For now, it looks like Stam are improving their logistics, communication improvements will come later on, it's a lesser priority.

It's your choice. I prefer to do some research around to get my info, and wait patiently for my gear to arrive...as long as it ships on schedule, ofc!
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
On the Stam website, if the info is displayed at the top, then it applies. You should be able to get the $690 pre order price (if the unit is not in stock, then it's on pre order, so the intro price applies). It's something I learnt about the company by doing some small research here and there, I got to know how they operate, so I know what to expect.

If customer service is so important to you, I advise to purchase from any other company that offers the same price and quality components, but please do tell who they are. For now, it looks like Stam are improving their logistics, communication improvements will come later on, it's a lesser priority.

It's your choice. I prefer to do some research around to get my info, and wait patiently for my gear to arrive...as long as it ships on schedule, ofc!
It's not a matter of how long it takes for my gear to arrive. As they say, "Good things are worth the wait." It's the matter of two things: 1) answering questions promptly (mine is pretty straight forward); and 2) If your site says 24 hours, respect it. If you can't don't post it. As simple as that. And yes, customer service is VERY important to me!

I admit no one beats their price point, but companies like Warm Audio have the same features such as Carnhill transformers AND they have inserts for plugging stuff into the signal path. This is well-worth the extra $200 or $300 (not sure since I haven't gotten a response). But I am still debating if this inserts feature is something that I REALLY REALLY need.

ON the same note, I reached out to Stam Audio via a "Stam Audio" email address AND a Gmail address. Now, the Gmail address can be checked anywhere. I understand if infrastructure is down, well, one could have a difficult time accessing the company email. But a Gmail account?

Bottom line...respect your own policies as a company. But also, I would not be running around like this if they had provided a correct response to my inquiry in the first place.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear
I've had similar experiences with Stam in terms of not always getting the answer to the question you've asked (probably just a language barrier thing), and yes, the turnaround can be slow if at all. It's not ideal, and something they say they're trying to improve, but the products are excellent. I've got the SA-73 and SA-2A and both are great. If the Customer Service piece is that important to you, honestly, maybe Stam products aren't for you. At least not yet. They can be slow to reply to emails and blow past deadlines. My advice to you based off what you said: wait until something from Stam is in stock and shipping and pay the higher price at that time. You'll get an invoice for the full amount, but no waiting and they'll ship it out quickly.

Last edited by Funkybot; 8th June 2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 8th June 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
It's not a matter of how long it takes for my gear to arrive. As they say, "Good things are worth the wait." It's the matter of two things: 1) answering questions promptly (mine is pretty straight forward); and 2) If your site says 24 hours, respect it. If you can't don't post it. As simple as that. And yes, customer service is VERY important to me!

I admit no one beats their price point, but companies like Warm Audio have the same features such as Carnhill transformers AND they have inserts for plugging stuff into the signal path. This is well-worth the extra $200 or $300 (not sure since I haven't gotten a response). But I am still debating if this inserts feature is something that I REALLY REALLY need.

ON the same note, I reached out to Stam Audio via a "Stam Audio" email address AND a Gmail address. Now, the Gmail address can be checked anywhere. I understand if infrastructure is down, well, one could have a difficult time accessing the company email. But a Gmail account?

Bottom line...respect your own policies as a company. But also, I would not be running around like this if they had provided a correct response to my inquiry in the first place.
I would like to clarify that no other company is making 1073's at this price point with our level of components.

No Philips capacitors, no Ohmite resistors, no BC184 transistors and most importantly we use Carnhill inductors, not Chinese ones. We also use the proper output transistor and a Sowter output transformer for those who want one.

Please re send your email at [email protected]

I am really sorry and apologize to you but this is total madness, we are getting over 500 emails a day at this point, we are hiring people every month and we are trying our best to provide a better customer service, please don't lose your faith on me!
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I would like to clarify that no other company is making 1073's at this price point with our level of components.

No Philips capacitors, no Ohmite resistors, no BC184 transistors and most importantly we use Carnhill inductors, not Chinese ones. We also use the proper output transistor and a Sowter output transformer for those who want one.

Please re send your email at [email protected]

I am really sorry and apologize to you but this is total madness, we are getting over 500 emails a day at this point, we are hiring people every month and we are trying our best to provide a better customer service, please don't lose your faith on me!
Thank you for reaching out! I get it. But remove the 24-hour response time from your website. Heck, I would have even been ok with, "We are very busy and will get back to you in a week!"

Ok, the 1073 MPA with Carnhill transformers is $690. (I just received an email response). But the email just pretty much said "sorry we are out of stock," to paraphrase. Do you know when you will be shipping again?

And by the way, I am still VERY much interested in Stam! I have heard a lot about you and have actually not lost faith...yet. :-)
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Addict

I will say stam's communication can be slow, but they have always delivered a product to me and do eventually get back to me. It just takes them a while.

I have a couple MKI SA73s with carnhills and they are fantastic sounding. I got them on one of their ebay listings. It seems like sometimes it's just easier to check ebay and wait till the thing I want is put up. It comes pretty shortly after ordering with that method.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search