The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio - 1073EQ - New Release
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I know quite a few that do this. One of them was Neve, just check the original schematic.

Anyways, I am here to please you as a client, not to be condescending towards you, in the end is your happiness what matters, not my engineering perspective.

You can take out 2 resistors and connect both dots with a wire, email [email protected] for a simple guide on how to change this, it's a 5 minute job any engineer or tech can do, even a DIY person. This will maintain the level when engaging the EQ.

I just want to make it very clear to you, we did not deviate from the original, you are requesting we change the original schematic to your pleasing

Thanks
Hey Joshua,

Yeah cool i'll email teo again. I did email support with attn: teo a few weeks back but never heard back from him.

Re: the eq level drop being from the original; im sorry to disagree with you but it just isnt true. I've used so many 1073s in my time and they have never ever done this. I even emailed one of the technicians at Neve last week about this just incase I was missing something and his response was:

"If you send a 1K tone into a genuine Neve 1073, set the EQ parameters to null and engage/disengage the EQ button, there is no level change."

He also said a whole lot of other stuff about why you may have assumed that was the case but I don't think it would be appropriate to paste his message here.

So I don't know if it was a case of padded resistors instead of standard resistors; I don't know but all I know is that according to technicians at Neve, the head technical engineer at studio 301 (Which has 15 recording studios in the complex) and also in all my time as an engineer and using the 1073s; the level drop has never existed in the real Neve 1073s.

I will email teo again when I get a moment.

Cheers,

T
Old 10th May 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lloyd View Post
Hey Joshua,

Yeah cool i'll email teo again. I did email support with attn: teo a few weeks back but never heard back from him.

Re: the eq level drop being from the original; im sorry to disagree with you but it just isnt true. I've used so many 1073s in my time and they have never ever done this. I even emailed one of the technicians at Neve last week about this just incase I was missing something and his response was:

"If you send a 1K tone into a genuine Neve 1073, set the EQ parameters to null and engage/disengage the EQ button, there is no level change."

He also said a whole lot of other stuff about why you may have assumed that was the case but I don't think it would be appropriate to paste his message here.

So I don't know if it was a case of padded resistors instead of standard resistors; I don't know but all I know is that according to technicians at Neve, the head technical engineer at studio 301 (Which has 15 recording studios in the complex) and also in all my time as an engineer and using the 1073s; the level drop has never existed in the real Neve 1073s.

I will email teo again when I get a moment.

Cheers,

T
Well, that is not in line with my close friend who worked at Neve and designed some of the most famous units neither with the original schematic and with some replicas I have used myself. I surely believe you that most 1073's out there might not have a level drop. We could have wanted it that way if we wanted it too.

It matters not, simple resistor swap and there is no level drop

I believe we already explained on how to do it

Weather you believe I am incorrect or not is irrelevant as the problem has been resolved for you.

We will continue to send them like people prefer them, original or without level drop, it makes no sonic difference
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, that is not in line with my close friend who worked at Neve and designed some of the most famous units neither with the original schematic and with some replicas I have used myself. I surely believe you that most 1073's out there might not have a level drop. We could have wanted it that way if we wanted it too.

It matters not, simple resistor swap and there is no level drop

I believe we already explained on how to do it

Weather you believe I am incorrect or not is irrelevant as the problem has been resolved for you.

We will continue to send them like people prefer them, original or without level drop, it makes no sonic difference
Would you be able to share a how to guide for this mod, Josh?

Also, I don't know if you saw my question about the insert.

If I connect the insert to my patchbay and use the normal mode to short the insert to itself when not in use, is that the same, electrically, as if I unplug the insert cable?
Old 11th May 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
Would you be able to share a how to guide for this mod, Josh?

Also, I don't know if you saw my question about the insert.

If I connect the insert to my patchbay and use the normal mode to short the insert to itself when not in use, is that the same, electrically, as if I unplug the insert cable?
For sure!

Please email [email protected] so he can send you the pics and guide

Is a very easy change
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm interested as well.
Can you share the info here for all of us, please?
Old 11th May 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
I'm interested as well.
Can you share the info here for all of us, please?
Please email [email protected] so he can forward you the detailed document

Thanks and have a great weekend
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please email [email protected] so he can forward you the detailed document

Thanks and have a great weekend
Can you answer the question about the insert, Josh?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

@ joshuanaconda maybe a manual would help people answer their own questions about a lot of things. I could probably help put that together. I've edited a lot of medical research for publication.
Old 11th May 2019
This is such a travesty . Who can find or show any evidence that the level drops by 6db on other neve modules when the EQ is engaged? At least I hope mine sounds good but I would prefer it ships without the level drop, whenever that happens.....I was told it was going to ship this past week, but of course it didn't. I'm suspicious that these 1073eq's don't have much headroom and the level drop was designed to prevent excessive distortion with large boosts.
Old 12th May 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5191 View Post
This is such a travesty . Who can find or show any evidence that the level drops by 6db on other neve modules when the EQ is engaged? At least I hope mine sounds good but I would prefer it ships without the level drop, whenever that happens.....I was told it was going to ship this past week, but of course it didn't. I'm suspicious that these 1073eq's don't have much headroom and the level drop was designed to prevent excessive distortion with large boosts.
Same headroom as an original
Same circuit and values, same gain
Same core size transformers
At least, it sounds identical in every way to our originals

We can ship it without the drop

Whatever you prefer.

We make engineering decisions to benefit our clients, not give them a headache but we also respect original schematics.

It's a fine line. As long as it sounds the same, I am fine with whatever
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

When you hit the EQ button on an original Neve 1073, 1084 or 31102 you are engaging several additional circuits which were otherwise bypassed

There is indeed a slight level change...and 'more' of a change in character

When I worked on the approval of the original R&D model of these modules at Neve I took note of this...like, many years ago when I was a teenager

However, firstly it is certainly NOT 6.0dB

I would guess 0.6dB otherwise you have either cranked in some EQ cut or have a serious electrical fault

Secondly, this SLIGHT change in level is irrelevant because the reason you hit the EQ button is because you wanna EQ summit, which by nature, even in mastering, means that you take control of the relative levels and 0.6dB or less is really of little concern when you are making much more drastic changes across the audible frequency range

With digital technology I personally still like to use this technical 'imperfection' because, these days, by engaging the EQ, without any EQ changes, does add some 'more'..let's call it Neveishness

My overall advice...assuming that it has been properly built and tested and set up...

I hold to my original decision...

Let it be

Steve Butterworth

PAST
Professional Audio System Technology

Last edited by PAST; 12th May 2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

That's weird. Some imperfection is expected, but 6db of difference is indeed weird.

Maybe Joshua misinterpreted the schematics?
Old 12th May 2019
Here for the gear

Is someone able to confirm with proper measurement that there is indeed a 6db drop on EQ engage? Josh hasn’t disputed this so I’m assuming there is, but 6db seems like a big drop so I think it’s important to have that figure confirmed.

I’m still waiting on my units (paid in full almost two months ago) so can’t do this myself.
Old 12th May 2019
Company Rep
All units will ship without the drop, don't worry
We took that decision last week to avoid this
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0m View Post
Is someone able to confirm with proper measurement that there is indeed a 6db drop on EQ engage? Josh hasn’t disputed this so I’m assuming there is, but 6db seems like a big drop so I think it’s important to have that figure confirmed.

I’m still waiting on my units (paid in full almost two months ago) so can’t do this myself.
You know, I was gonna chime in earlier and say 6db seems like a lot for what I *think* I experienced on mine. Right now I’m on vacation for a week so I won’t be able to test until I get home, but I feel like mine dropped very slightly. The caveat is that I wasn’t going back and forth, but when I engaged EQ I could have sworn the level drop wasn’t 6db. Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe there’s something wrong with that individual unit.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

Yeah..what I would suggest is two frequency response measurements sweeps/graphs....one with EQ out and the other with EQ in but with EQ/Filter bands set to off and the HF band pot visibly set to zero/fine tune nulled at 1KHz

The thing about the 1073 and 1066 as opposed to the 1084 or 31102 is that the HF boost/cut does NOT have a switch and so there is no OFF position

If when the HF boost/cut pot or any other EQ band pot is visibly at zero there is a considerable level change at any frequency then there is a problem with that particular module that must be resolved

Steve Butterworth

PAST
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Any ETA as to when the remaining units on paid invoices will ship?
Old 12th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAST View Post
When you hit the EQ button on an original Neve 1073, 1084 or 31102 you are engaging several additional circuits which were otherwise bypassed

There is indeed a slight level change...and 'more' of a change in character

When I worked on the approval of the original R&D model of these modules at Neve I took note of this...like, many years ago when I was a teenager

However, firstly it is certainly NOT 6.0dB

I would guess 0.6dB otherwise you have either cranked in some EQ cut or have a serious electrical fault

Secondly, this SLIGHT change in level is irrelevant because the reason you hit the EQ button is because you wanna EQ summit, which by nature, even in mastering, means that you take control of the relative levels and 0.6dB or less is really of little concern when you are making much more drastic changes across the audible frequency range

With digital technology I personally still like to use this technical 'imperfection' because, these days, by engaging the EQ, without any EQ changes, does add some 'more'..let's call it Neveishness

My overall advice...assuming that it has been properly built and tested and set up...

I hold to my original decision...

Let it be

Steve Butterworth

PAST
This is great information to know; thanks Steve! Yeah a 0.6db level drop would be totally in the realms of what is acceptable because of course there will be some drop. But 6db is half the volume so you can imagine my surprise when I hit the EQ switch. I thought that it was faulty but my email to Stam came back with "6db level drop is normal" which you could imagine my confusion. I've used a lot of 1073s and never have I experienced this. So thank you for passing on your detailed info into the units!
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lloyd View Post
This is great information to know; thanks Steve! Yeah a 0.6db level drop would be totally in the realms of what is acceptable because of course there will be some drop. But 6db is half the volume so you can imagine my surprise when I hit the EQ switch. I thought that it was faulty but my email to Stam came back with "6db level drop is normal" which you could imagine my confusion. I've used a lot of 1073s and never have I experienced this. So thank you for passing on your detailed info into the units!
No problem...Here's how to do a quick check on your units without spending thousands of £€$¥ on expensive test gear

Unplug anything from the Mic Input XLR and just leave it open circuit

With EQ out crank up the mic sensitivity to max and listen to the noise

You should hear pure noise with no hum or digital crap

This in simple terms BTW is natures beauty

It is the sound of the past...the big bang or whatever started everything moving

In our universe nothing at atomic level is motionless and what you are hearing is molecules and stuff rattling around in the input circuitry

If you live near a powerful radio station or whatever then you might need to terminate the input with a 200R resistor

If you live near CERN then let me know what you do hear as it might be the future rather than the past?

You could try a short circuit in this case

Let me know where you end up?

Now, with all the EQ and Filter bands set flat to Zero and switches to OFF...hit the EQ switch

Mind your speakers/ears...just in case!

You should only hear a slight difference in the character of the noise and no perceptible level change

Now, with the boost/cut pots set flat to zero switch through the frequencies of each band in turn and again you should hear no drastic change

Think, all that money you spent, all those knobs and switches and wasted electricity, just for nothing...no change....

So assuming all is well with that you can then boost and/or cut at each frequency and listen to ensure that every switch position gives the correct change in sound

This procedure is also is useful to check whether you have gone deaf?

In either case doing it too often will certainly send you as mad as an audio engineer

Steve Butterworth

PAST

Last edited by PAST; 12th May 2019 at 11:33 PM..
Old 13th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAST View Post
No problem...Here's how to do a quick check on your units without spending thousands of £€$¥ on expensive test gear

Unplug anything from the Mic Input XLR and just leave it open circuit

With EQ out crank up the mic sensitivity to max and listen to the noise

You should hear pure noise with no hum or digital crap

This in simple terms BTW is natures beauty

It is the sound of the past...the big bang or whatever started everything moving

In our universe nothing at atomic level is motionless and what you are hearing is molecules and stuff rattling around in the input circuitry

If you live near a powerful radio station or whatever then you might need to terminate the input with a 200R resistor

If you live near CERN then let me know what you do hear as it might be the future rather than the past?

You could try a short circuit in this case

Let me know where you end up?

Now, with all the EQ and Filter bands set flat to Zero and switches to OFF...hit the EQ switch

Mind your speakers/ears...just in case!

You should only hear a slight difference in the character of the noise and no perceptible level change

Now, with the boost/cut pots set flat to zero switch through the frequencies of each band in turn and again you should hear no drastic change

Think, all that money you spent, all those knobs and switches and wasted electricity, just for nothing...no change....

So assuming all is well with that you can then boost and/or cut at each frequency and listen to ensure that every switch position gives the correct change in sound

This procedure is also is useful to check whether you have gone deaf?

In either case doing it too often will certainly send you as mad as an audio engineer

Steve Butterworth

PAST
That is so awesome! Thanks heaps for the info and your enthusiasm towards the science of it!!! Definitely going to give this a go when I get a moment free in the studio and will report back!
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Josh. Just to clarify, does this mean anyone who has not yet received shipping info for their unit will receive a 1073eq that doesn’t have the volume drop?

I’m fine with that being the case, especially as it seems you’ve decided it’s best.
Old 13th May 2019
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0m View Post
Hi Josh. Just to clarify, does this mean anyone who has not yet received shipping info for their unit will receive a 1073eq that doesn’t have the volume drop?

I’m fine with that being the case, especially as it seems you’ve decided it’s best.
That is correct
Old 4 weeks ago
It’s been so long since someone has said anything, how’s everyone enjoying their 1073 eq ??
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Still no word from Stam on mine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep
Sorry guys, everybody who has paid is on a shipping list that we are clearing daily

We are completely swamped and still training more people to double our production capability this year

Thanks again for the patience and I agree, some reviews would be great!
Josh
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah multiple emails and no response after a full payment and promise of shipping a month ago.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2G View Post
Yeah multiple emails and no response after a full payment and promise of shipping a month ago.
same here
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep
Anybody without response please email me directly at [email protected] or request a phone call from me

I am doing my best to oversee everything and would like to stay on top of shipments as well

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have done that, but just sent a new email now.

Thank you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

so having read about delays on these products, but glowing reviews on quality, it seems that this newest batch it 'just' about to ship 'for real.' Have people gotten tracking numbers, or any other hard evidence that shipping will occur shortly? I'm not trying to diss Stam at all, I hear nothing but AMAZING stuff about the gear and the people, and I'm sure it's near impossible to run a business like this, especially when it takes off beyond wildest dreams. I'm just curious, what's a 'realistic' estimate for seeing the product in the flesh? also curious about ssl clone in regard to this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search